Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 663887 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (The rumor well is drying up! EDITION)
« Reply #775 on: March 18, 2016, 03:47:04 AM »
Looks stupid
Made you look ****.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 18, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
According to the original story, the picture was ran through a program that test for inconsistencies often associated with Photoshop and other altering programs and while the lighting is suspect, they claim the photo is legit.

I think its real. I don't think it's the final product but I believe this is a true component of the NX. Plus, when have I ever been wrong about this kinda thing.? (hey, don't answer that. That time doesn't count either it was all Rick Powers fault!)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
I think the picture is real, but somebody made a fake piece of hardware and took a picture.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
It also looks like it's a terrible idea that nobody wanted

Unfortunately to me this is the best argument that Nintendo is doing this.  While I hope the NX can be Nintendo's comeback console they have shown pretty much zero sign of learning, well, anything from their mistakes over the last few years so I expect the NX to be even more out-of-touch and insane than the Wii U.  I don't really feel excitement for the NX, it's more cautious "please don't **** this up" hope.

Touchscreen buttons would be borderline useless for any game with any real reflex oriented gameplay as you need tactile feedback to play them.  Think of what sort of games work on touchscreens and which ones don't and the same thing applies for touchscreen buttons on controller.  Turn based games and visual novels and stuff like that will work fine.  Any platformer or FPS or fighting game or shmup will control like complete ****.  The problem is that these days Nintendo designs controllers as a marketing gimmick first, practical tool to control the game second.  I can totally see them completely fucking up the controller in a vain attempt to recapture the Wii audience they lost.

They go with this controller and the NX is finished before it comes out.  The casuals will never return and touchscreen buttons will **** up the controls so bad that dedicated gamers will stay away.  Such a controller would restrict a console to mobile level game quality.  No sane person will ever buy a dedicated videogame system for that sort of ****.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:05 PM »
Well, according the the "leaker" the touch screen would also have advanced haptics to help solve the tactile feedback problem.

But after scanning the last few pages of the NeoGaf thread on this leak, they've come up with the exact frame from a UE4 demo that appears to have been cropped for the NX controller image, in a way that wouldn't make sense if it was running live, so looking very likely to be fake.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: March 18, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
Sony might be getting ready to throw a big curveball soon.

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

IB4 NX is already obsolete...

EDIT: Patrick Klepek also just said Microsoft might be working on something similar. Nintendo could very well be swimming against the tide once again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:41:40 PM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 18, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
PS4.5?  Oh great we're moving into cellphone territory where our consoles get replaced after only a few years with minor updates?  Thanks a lot to every drooling idiot that rushed out and bought a DSi or New 3DS and setting the trend.  Of course we have no idea that this idea will even take off, particularly when consoles cost a lot more than handhelds.

Nintendo is pretty bad at guessing where things are going to go so they actually would benefit a lot from launching last and seeing what everyone else does but with the Wii U being such a poor seller they don't have that flexibility.  Interestingly enough the Wii U is the first time since the NES (which doesn't really count since there essentially was no console market when it launched) that Nintendo wasn't one of the last ones to launch.  The SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii all came out after a least one major competitor had already released their console so Nintendo knew what they were up against.  The Wii U was really the first time they had to guess... and they really flubbed it bad.

With the PS4 I was thinking more that the VR would be the X factor.  If that takes off what does Nintendo have to combat it?  Have they taken into account the possibility that with all these VR products due to come out soon that that may shift the gaming industry significantly?  Is Nintendo at least factoring in the possibility that it might be something they need to at least have the "hooks" in place to implement on the NX?  The whole thing might bomb but if it doesn't then I'm going to assume VR will be an expected feature, like how Sony and MS felt compelled to have their own motion controls to combat the Wii.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 18, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
God, I hope this isn't the future for consoles. I don't want to have to buy the Wii U 7 for a chance to play the latest games...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 18, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
With the PS4 I was thinking more that the VR would be the X factor.  If that takes off what does Nintendo have to combat it?  Have they taken into account the possibility that with all these VR products due to come out soon that that may shift the gaming industry significantly?  Is Nintendo at least factoring in the possibility that it might be something they need to at least have the "hooks" in place to implement on the NX?  The whole thing might bomb but if it doesn't then I'm going to assume VR will be an expected feature, like how Sony and MS felt compelled to have their own motion controls to combat the Wii.

The price of PSVR has already guaranteed that thing to be DOA.  VR still has a ways to go before it's ready for mass consumption because right now the price is just too damn high for anyone that isn't a hardcore tech head to take seriously.  The motion controls on the Wii took off because it only cost $250 to get a system, that came with said motion controller, and a killer app like Wii Sports all in one.  Right now, VR of any kind has no sort of value with system, controller and a killer app for that kind of mass market price.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 18, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »
This PS4.k rumor makes me think that the NX is more of an OS than and actual console. With that "controller " also being the handheld.  Long as that controller is at least 6" wide I'm good!

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 18, 2016, 04:58:09 PM »
This PS4.k rumor makes me think that the NX is more of an OS than and actual console. With that "controller " also being the handheld.  Long as that controller is at least 6" wide I'm good!

I rather have the NX be a service rather than a console. Consoles are basically becoming PCs anyways, why would i want a console thant i have to upgrade in orde to get the full experience, for that i have my pc with an nvidia 980ti.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 18, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »

I rather have the NX be a service rather than a console. Consoles are basically becoming PCs anyways, why would i want a console thant i have to upgrade in orde to get the full experience, for that i have my pc with an nvidia 980ti.

For home use phones and tablets are replacing PCs so the average consumer's not going to have a device to use the service on... unless it also supports tablets and phones but then they have to severely compromise the specs to meet such a lowest common denominator.  A console today is basically a pre-built gaming PC at a mass market price point.  That's what the average consumer is going to be interested in.  If the NX was a service Nintendo would still need some sort of base hardware SKU for those that don't want to figure out the hardware requirement themselves.

For obvious reasons I feel the console industry wants us to buy new consoles with less significant hardware updates more frequently.  I don't like it, I won't support it, but my lone "vote" will mean jack ****.  In a world where F2P scams and microtransactions are a sustainable business model I can see this approach being successful enough to become the new standard.  The industry has clearly shifted over the last ten years to one that seeks to exploit their customers.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 18, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
Ehhh, I think the industry will find quite a bit of resistance if they attempt to make us buy 400 consoles every 3 years. Then again, that's what some mad PC users do, sooooo...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 18, 2016, 06:01:55 PM »

For home use phones and tablets are replacing PCs so the average consumer's not going to have a device to use the service on... unless it also supports tablets and phones but then they have to severely compromise the specs to meet such a lowest common denominator.  A console today is basically a pre-built gaming PC at a mass market price point.  That's what the average consumer is going to be interested in.  If the NX was a service Nintendo would still need some sort of base hardware SKU for those that don't want to figure out the hardware requirement themselves.

For obvious reasons I feel the console industry wants us to buy new consoles with less significant hardware updates more frequently.  I don't like it, I won't support it, but my lone "vote" will mean jack ****.  In a world where F2P scams and microtransactions are a sustainable business model I can see this approach being successful enough to become the new standard.  The industry has clearly shifted over the last ten years to one that seeks to exploit their customers.

When I say NX is an OS, I'm talking both hardware and software. What I've always said is there will be:

A base handheld (that picture is the prototype)
A base console
A Rebranded Wii U Powered by NX
A Steam-like app that is has  both iOS and Android base standards.

That device, if legit gives the best of both worlds. Physical Buttons, click wheel buttons and force feedback touch. That would allow for scalable cross-development.

edit: example of how it might work from NeoGaf.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:11:43 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 18, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »

exaclty my point, consoles are becoming obsolete ot glorified steamboxes
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 18, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
All right, now controller buttons and my damn hands are in the way of the screen!  What I've always wanted!

Seriously in that mock up your missile count is right under where your hand would be.  What is the damn selling point in having the screen in all sorts of nooks and crannies you actually can't see?  How is having joysticks interfering with the display a good thing?  Why would anybody WANT this?  A more logical mockup would be to have the game in the center of the controller and the only screen usage in the sides is for the controls.

Though why are touchscreen buttons an idea that has gained any ground?  Phones have that to make up for inadequate controller options.  Controllers these days have two analog sticks, a d-pad, 4 face buttons, 4 triggers and at least two "admin" buttons.  Do you need more than that?  Because if a game doesn't need more than that then you don't have to have a display that changes the buttons.  I suppose buttons could disappear but are you so inept at games that extra buttons that do nothing confuse you?  Do you need the button to clearly identify what it does like an overlay?  Who needs this other than the most helpless casual gamers?  The whole idea seems like something that sounds cool in theory before you give it five minutes of thought and realize the "need" for it is pretty much non-existent.  In that Metroid mock up the touchscreen buttons literally recreate what every standard controller has so what is the point?!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 18, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »
The NX platform already sounded like it was going to adopt the way of the upgrades like phones. Nintendo isn't being left behind on that front I'm sure. With all that talk from Iwata about having to always restart from zero and such the message was clear to me. Not really worried and honestly I welcome this future. Give us 10 years of the same device, maybe upgrade it a bit every 3 years like a PC or something, but it still plays all the games only if you've got all the new gadgets the newer games run best.

Anyway about that controller, Rosti on Neogaf has more or less said that thing is legit. Now he doesn't know if it's a final product or just some dev kit prototype. I know people are picking it apart and if we got something like that it would take a lot of convincing for me. Hopefully the final product has handles and physical buttons to go along with all the touch buttons.

I will say that the mock up posted above does look kind of cool and modern. Especially when compared to the U Pad, that really gave off clunky Game Gear vibes. But I just can't imagine getting that oval shape and that be it.

Then when it comes to actually blocking part of the screen I feel like games will be designed with that in mind. You get a lot of extra view around your fingers but it's something that would otherwise never be there without such a screen. I suppose I imagine playing a game any normal old way, be it on the 3DS or Wii U, slap that on the middle of this controller and then expand that same image around your fingers to see what would have originally been unseeable. I guess like when you take an old movie and it's remastered to include Wide Screen?

I'm cautiously optimistic but if this thing releases without physical buttons or an equivalent that feels just as good and is just as responsive, I have a feeling a ton of people will reject the idea more so than the Wii U Gamepad.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 18, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »
The NX platform already sounded like it was going to adopt the way of the upgrades like phones. Nintendo isn't being left behind on that front I'm sure. With all that talk from Iwata about having to always restart from zero and such the message was clear to me. Not really worried and honestly I welcome this future. Give us 10 years of the same device, maybe upgrade it a bit every 3 years like a PC or something, but it still plays all the games only if you've got all the new gadgets the newer games run best.

To me that's not a 10 year device, it's a 3 year device so we're worse off then we were with 5 year cycles.  To me the whole selling point of a console is you buy it once and everything works the same on it for the entire lifecycle of it.  I've always found little add-ons like the Sega CD or N64 expansion pack annoying since they go against this concept.  Considering how long the PS3 and Xbox 360 lasted before getting replaced I would argue that now is the silliest time in videogame history thus far to adapt such a model.  The obvious benefits from improved hardware is plateauing.  The jump from PS3 to PS4 was way less noticeable than that from PS1 to PS2 or NES to SNES.  The last generation lasted longer because there was less need for new hardware than in prior generations.  So why do we need any sort of upgrade after only three years?  In the 90's if you had a hardware gap of only three years you would notice it.  These days you wouldn't.  We're now at the point where we can stretch a generation longer.  It is some real snake oil nonsense for a console maker to convince you that you need shorter gaps between hardware purchases.

One thing I can see the model working is for handhelds since portable tech is always behind console tech.  If they want to adopt this approach for a handheld model where every so many years it gets a little closer to matching the standard console hardware, I can live with that.  Then one can get the one-time-purchase console like always and let the handheld gamers deal with the ticky tacky updates which they're already willing to deal with with phones and stuff like the DSi and New 3DS.  People are used to buying handheld tech on a regular basis but not so much with consoles.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 18, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »
I actually think this potential upgrade future will be a little more elegant than what the DSi and n3DS were doing. I know you don't like the add ons like the N64 expansion pack but I am all for it. I would much rather have our base systems longer than replacing them every 5 years or so with little increases in power throughout the years.

I'm one of those who was pushed into a cell phone kicking and screaming and don't get me started on upgrading. Every 2 years to upgrade an entirely new phone really burns me up. I have no idea how or why people do it annually. So I can get where you are coming from but I figure if we aren't completely replacing an entire device like Nintendo's handhelds it's not such a big deal.

I'm talking mostly out of ignorance and to an extreme but isn't this PC gaming life in a nut shell? If my understanding is correct many games still run on older hardware, they just run better on the high end stuff.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 18, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
edit: example of how it might work from NeoGaf.

I quite like the way this looks!  I'm completely on board with the idea if it has physical buttons.  It's basically a gamepad 2.0, expect much more ergonomic and manageable.  Plus, if the persistent rumors are true, I would love to throw that thing in my bag and continue to play NX games on the go with it.

I do seem to be in the minority of optimists on this thread, though...

Offline sudoshuff

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 18, 2016, 09:14:36 PM »
I'm one of those who was pushed into a cell phone kicking and screaming and don't get me started on upgrading. Every 2 years to upgrade an entirely new phone really burns me up. I have no idea how or why people do it annually.

1.They break them.
2. They see their friends with the fancy new version (I mean who wouldn't love it if their photos were actually little videos and were unlocked with a fingerprint scan ;)
3. They get suckered in to it with clever hidden subsidies, monthly payments making the new version "free" (I'm lookin' at you AT&T NEXT plan!).

None of the three reasons above seem like they would apply to the NX for the following reasons: 
1. Nintendo products are designed to be practically unbreakable and handled by small children. 
2. Nintendo has a chance of going viral again with a popular new device, but it won't feel like a fundamental part of your person like a cell phone does.
3. Nintendo would just charge you for the full price of the device up front.

I think NX will be designed to be upgradeable, but I can't see them matching the cell phone makers by coming out with a new version every year.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 20, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »
It looks fake to me, and the only thing which makes it seem plausible is how stupid it is.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #797 on: March 20, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
It looks fake to me, and the only thing which makes it seem plausible is how stupid it is.

Ha.  This is the quote of the day. 

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »
I am not sure Nintendo would be smart to release a controller that would absolutely not work with VR and not be gearing up for VR when that is where the industry appears to be heading. Sure this new round is going to be expensive and appeal mainly to enthusiasts but at least it is affordable this time compared to the 90's. Also it will help launch the next round which will be when it really kicks off. I see parallels to when CD technology was starting. The 90's VR, i.e. Virtual Boy, arcade machines, PC headsets, is similar to the Sega CD and all those other add-ons, the tech was there but not quite ready for market. I see this round as PS1 and Saturn, the tech is there and the industry and market are finally ready.

If Sony dominates with VR and Nintendo sits on the sidelines pushing touch screens then it will be worse than N64 ditching CD's for the C-stick. Ever since playing Super Mario 64 for the first time VR is what I always wanted to come next and with Wii motion controls I thought yes Nintendo is finally pushing for real VR and then they backtracked on motion controls and now think touch is the future I hope they get this figured out soon. That controller would be sweat for a handheld but not a console if there is any hope for it to support VR.

Bring on the NX news already Nintendo what are you all waiting for it's close to the end of March already.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
Nintendo just needs to make it so that the NX is adaptable enough that if VR catches on they can implement it later on.  There was no SNES CD but they were working on the idea with Sony and later Phillips but didn't do it.  But the SNES itself has a port where some hypothetical CD attachment could have attached.  They didn't design the thing so restrictive that a CD add-on could not have been done without replacing the whole console.  VR is not certainly going to catch on this gen but it is being attempted so Nintendo needs to not handcuff the NX so that it is completely incapable of handling VR.  A good design for a console is to be able to have some adaptability to the market.

One thing about this controller mock up is that it is a very similar idea to the Wii U Gamepad.  That concept flopped.  What sense is there in repeating it?  I figure the best chance the NX has is for it to remind people of the Wii U as little as possible.  Doubling down on the screen controller concept that was soundly rejected and the obvious cost issues that will come with it is pretty damn stupid.  So what trade off on important stuff will the NX have to accommodate the return of the unpopular screen controller idea?  Or will the price just be stupidly high for a console that will have to fight tooth and nail for anyone to even give it the time of day?