Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 760496 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1650 on: May 16, 2015, 06:04:28 AM »
If you ever enjoyed play a Sim City game, go pick up Cities: Skylines right now. It's the true successor.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:01 AM »
I bought Mass Effect Trilogy for $5 in the PSN sale since I just had the first one before. As I mentioned in another thread, I've finally got around to playing it and am loving it, so it's nice to have the sequels ready to go as soon as I finish the first.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 16, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Picked up Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 and Higurashi When they Cry - Onikakushi (Finally a real VN that isn't smut on Steam). Little did I know that the CD key for my physical version of Witcher 2 would get me a free digital version so I wasted about $3 on that  :(
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
I bought Mass Effect Trilogy for $5 in the PSN sale since I just had the first one before. As I mentioned in another thread, I've finally got around to playing it and am loving it, so it's nice to have the sequels ready to go as soon as I finish the first.

There's a lot of good stuff on the PSN Flash Sale.

I picked up:

Mass Effect Trilogy
The Walking Dead: Season 1
Terraria
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Ni No Kuni
Okami HD
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD
Burnout Paradise

Under $5/game.  I was especially happy about Mass Effect Trilogy, I was planning on getting that sometime soon, but it retails still for $40, I think.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 22, 2015, 04:57:41 AM »
Got Kirby's Epic Yarn digitally on Wii U this morning.

If it will pick up my old savefile, i might even go for 100%...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1655 on: May 22, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
Who has two thumbs and may have just got the 3-pack of Splatoon Amiibo for the cost of a single? This guy.

(Jump on that quickly Canadians, I suspect it's not long for this world.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
Who has two thumbs and may have just got the 3-pack of Splatoon Amiibo for the cost of a single? This guy.

(Jump on that quickly Canadians, I suspect it's not long for this world.)

Wow, great deal if it goes through!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 30, 2015, 01:39:29 AM »
Picked Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 on Steam. Never touched the series before so I'm making a leap of faith here, but the community is actually really nice. Crafted a foil card 20 min after release and sold it for $10. Bought Jet Set Radio with that. I'm actually very exited to play it because of how fun it looks.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 30, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »
I'm in on that "Nindie" Humble Bundle deal. Paid $10 even though I already own many of the games.  Wanted to support the idea of a console-based bundle, like all of the developers involved, and felt that it's still a fair deal for:

* The Fall (haven't played yet but the new game I was most interested in),
* Woah Dave! (really enjoying this), and
* OlliOlli (not enjoying this at all)

(Moon Chronicles is also "kind of" new. I already owned the original DS game, but not the remake.)

Hoping the extra game added later is something I don't already own... but not counting on it. :)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:50 AM »
Karate Master 2: Knock Down Blow was on sale on Steam so finally grabbed that. Okay game though I swear the CPU purposely injures me whenever I'm close to winning a tournament. Even in tournaments where they say kicks to the head are forbidden, I've lost via a kick to the head.
Mission...complete?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 31, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (3DS) has been marked down to $13 at Canadian GameStop stores.

I was very on the fence about this game, and there really wasn't anything that made it stand out from early reviews/previews. Others probably felt the same way, since first-party Nintendo games usually don't get marked down this aggressively so soon.

But I'm really impressed. Screenshots didn't do the game justice - it looks much better in action - and the gameplay is also more enjoyable than I had expected. Of course I'm still very early in the game, but it's easy to recommend considering the price.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 11, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »

But I'm really impressed. Screenshots didn't do the game justice - it looks much better in action - and the gameplay is also more enjoyable than I had expected. Of course I'm still very early in the game, but it's easy to recommend considering the price.

I've found pretty much every screenshot/preview video doesn't do the 3DS justice.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: June 22, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »
Forgive me gamers, for I have sinned.

Bought an Amiibo today.  I still hate the way that whole product has been handled, I still hate Nintendo for the way they flaunt low supply as a marketing strategy instead of making the figures actually be useful... but my love for Animal Crossing overcomes and couldn't turn down a Villager Amiibo.

I at the local Toys R Us today for a few minutes running errands on a rare day off. While passing through the electronics section I noticed an Amiibo restock: Silver Mario, Little Mac, Greninja, Lucario, Captain Falcon, and.. OMG... Villager.  The one Amiibo more than any other that I wanted.

They had 3 of each for most of those rare-ish figures, plus a few extra Silver Mario and Greninja. While I was standing there, Villager in hand wondering if I should buy, a salesperson came over and grabbed one of the other Villagers to hide behind the counter (call-in request, they said they can reserve one figure per person). That made my decision - existing stock won't last and who knows when I might see another in the wild?

Damn you, Nintendo. Damn you.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 23, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Steam):
Even when DMC4 shipped back in 2008 it was a half finished slog, a graveyard of unrealized possibilities.

It's only saving grace was combat and some ad-libbed ludicrous non-sequitur cutscenes. Everything else was terrible to awful: story was bad, pacing was non-existent, ranking system was in direct contradiction to itself and rewarded stupid collectathon over actual skill, backtracking was obnoxious, new introduced characters were so-so and both of Dante old flames suddenly became jiggly titmonsters:

So 7 years after we get a "Special Edition" that instead of fixing the damn game only adds three new characters that only makes backtracking problem even WORSE.

That's despite that Nero is screaming for how underdeveloped he is. His controls leave out one button COMPLETELY unused for crying out loud, which is outrageous for action game. How about adding more depth there?

Nope. They just added fanservice baits -- Vergil and two girls. And Vergil has been dead as a nail for two decades by DMC4 chronology -- that's how far they're reaching.

Still DMC is a great series and i felt i needed to do something to support it, so i bought it for myself and to some other guy in my friendlist who had in his wishlist.

Game costing just 16$ in my region helped too.

As to actual game. It's still the same goddamn DMC4 for all it's bad and bad. But now it miraculously performs much worse despite looking the same as in 2008. Oh and it also crashes for me when i try to change "PC settings".

Yay.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »

A busy game-buying week here...

PlayStation TV - LEGO Movie bundle, with controller and memory card included for $50. Primary motivation was to have a convenient way to play my PSP/PSOne Classics on TV via HDMI.

But why stop there? While checking to see where I could still find Vita games locally, I noticed that stock (and pricing) was already low and not getting much better. So grabbed a number of cheap retail games this weekend too.

Dragon's Crown
Freedom Wars
Muramasa Rebirth - own on Wii, but happy to re-buy for extra content
Persona 4 Golden
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season - own on Steam, but don't really like PC gaming and it was super cheap

There are still a few compatible Vita games that I want but couldn't find - plus a few that aren't yet compatible but hopefully will be eventually. This is the bulk of what I plan to buy for Vita games though.

Oh, and to top it all off...  grabbed a Shulk Amiibo too. Because Xenoblade is so good, I can totally overlook how sucky Amiibo distribution and integration has been.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: July 21, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
I bought Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Wii U for $8 meaning my launch purchase of Trine 2 finally paid off.

I was recently gifted Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble on GameCube and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 21, 2015, 06:32:16 PM »

Grabbed Child of Light (Wii U).  My backlog is ridiculous, but this game has been on my want list since release and at $4 was simply too good to pass up.

I bought Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on Wii U for $8 meaning my launch purchase of Trine 2 finally paid off.

This was also a very tempting sale, but I'm holding out for the 3DS version so that I can have the first three games on the same console.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 25, 2015, 02:49:52 AM »
Somehow never noticed that there was a WiiU version of Zen Pinball 2. But with no Steam sales it costs more to re-buy the tables I already own.
Mission...complete?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 25, 2015, 03:38:59 AM »
Somehow never noticed that there was a WiiU version of Zen Pinball 2. But with no Steam sales it costs more to re-buy the tables I already own.
Zen Pnball 1 on 3DS is superior to 2 anyways.

2 messes up the physics somehow, i can't place it but it feels completely wrong, across all versions.

Also pinball feels better as portable game anyways.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:34 AM »

Also pinball feels better as portable game anyways.

Well, I was a fan of Metroid Prime Pinball so hard to argue with you there.
Mission...complete?

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 25, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »
I got Shovel Knight and Another World for 3DS. Fez and Limbo for Vita. All great games so far. Fez is possibly my favorite game of this generation. I beat Another World in just a few hours. It was good, and I want the sequel, but it is a Sega CD exclusive, oddly enough.
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833

Offline Capsulejay

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 30, 2015, 02:38:21 PM »
I decided that I'm gonna dabble in PC gaming as compliment/supplement to my Nintendo gaming, so I picked up a discrete graphics card for my PC. I ended up going with a Radeon R9 270.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
So new games are expensive here!

But I did find some older games for about $30. Snagged Pikmin 2 on Wii for that price. Its going for at least double that last I checked in the states.

Hoped to find some amiibo but they were $25 and common other than a Fox.

Hoping to find some more cool swag in the markets. Last time they had an NES remodel. I passed since I didn't know if it would work.

I'll jump this time because my wife pointed out that I doesn't need to work to look nice in my planned historical console display.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 05, 2015, 10:37:15 PM »
The Pinball Arcade, plus the Season One bundle of tables, on Playstation TV.
I love old pinball tables, and put a ton of time into the Wii release of Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection. This successor to that game is fantastic and adds a lot of tables that I've never been able to play in real life. Loving it.

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
The Pinball Arcade, plus the Season One bundle of tables, on Playstation TV.
I love old pinball tables, and put a ton of time into the Wii release of Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection. This successor to that game is fantastic and adds a lot of tables that I've never been able to play in real life. Loving it.

I'm curious to know what you, as a Pinball aficionado, think of Kirby's Pinball Land for Gameboy and Mario Pinball Land for GBA. And have you played Rollers of the Realm for Vita, or Odama for Gamecube? It's strange, but I'm kind of getting interested in pinball games lately, since getting Kirby's Pinball Land from Club Nintendo. It's fun, but I hate how all of my progress can be lost so quickly with a run of bad luck.
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833