Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 696773 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #725 on: March 07, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
it could be my fault, I had miiverse disabled and I might have not even checked to see if I have friends, I honestly rarely boot up the Wii U hardly once a month, if that. Usually just to go into eshop and not nearly as much since the digital promotion has run out and now Club Nintendo is worthless. I will check right now stay cool.

It shows I have 0 friends on Miiverse I am not sure how this works there is no add friend option. Is it like Wii where we have to swap friend codes or some such?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:18:20 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #726 on: March 07, 2015, 11:29:42 PM »
I see you figured it out if your PM was truthful and you did send me a request. hehe
I haven't sent a request to someone for a while, but I'm pretty sure you can look up names in Miiverse, send a friend request with a message posted, and then you're good to go. You can also add friends in the Friend List which is the orange rectangle with a smiley face on the Wii U main menu and GamePad menu when you press the HOME button. I might be mistaken on it being on the main menu since my memory sucks. I'll add you when I boot up the system to create a new level tonight. Thanks, man!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:57 PM »
well the PS4 was still acting up today and the kids were hogging the Wii U so I played some Final Fantasy 7 on the PS3. I forgot how preachy that games was.

Offline iandemel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 11, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
I've been playing * The Last Door: Collector's Edition. That opening....man. Old retro graphics with modern lighting effects. It's a drag and tap puzzle with an interesting story.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2015, 12:49:11 PM »
Metroid Prime 2 - Quite a fun game so far. Just got through some worm boss and am in a jungle area. The dark world/light world stuff has been fun. But play sessions are too long. I wish there were more places to save or that already discovered ones weren't so far away and hard to get back to.

Ocarina Of Time 3D - I got through first three things and am now following a guide for all the Skulltulas and heart pieces and planting all the beans before getting old. Then I'll probably drop the guide. No point in getting over 50 Skulltulas and I'm at 43 or something. I still can't decide how I feel about this game. It's generally fun and I appreciate the innovation. But I have no nostalgia for it like others do. It's a solid Zelda game but doesn't bowl me over. Sometimes it's boring.

De Blob 2 (PS3) - Man I love the De Blob series and I wish it would come back. The platforming mechanics are still a little clunky and could be improved but at least you can jump with a button this time instead of a motion gesture. And the camera still needs a bit of work. I'd like to be able to zoom out more. And the time limit structure is annoying instead of challenging. But with those gripes aside, I love the look of the game and I love, love, love the music and the way it is used. The soundtrack is great to begin with and then changes dynamically as you play, with different instruments that support the music assigned to different paint colors that come in as you paint stuff. And the soundtrack builds in complexity as more of the environment gets painted. You hear your progression and it is so satisfying. That is the chief draw of this game for me and it is so good and so fun. I wish this music progression concept was in more games, or that there would be more De Blob games with more great new jazz/funk music.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:25 PM »
OniOri and the Blind Forest (PC):

The opening of the game, while boring and too long, really highlights the quality of the animation. After that, though, it zooms out and loses distinctiveness, especially as every area I've been to so far is some variant of "gloomy grotto". As for the game itself, it is so far a pretty uninspired Metroidvania title. The upgrades are littered around perfunctorily and I dislike the amount of combat involved, especially as it's often hard to see enemy projectiles. The save system is interesting (you have a dedicated button that draws off of your "special" energy), and I'd like to see more games try something similar, though I have lost significant progress at a few points because I was bopping along and forgot to "quicksave", and there are very few organic checkpoints. Also, it's pretty irritating how short the character's jump is, even once you unlock double jump.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS):

I finally got bored enough to buy a New 3DS and work through its catalogue (and whatever DS games I missed, I suppose). The 3D isn't critical for this game, but it is very engaging. I made the mistake of picking Hero Mode on first blush, which made the first hours of the game until I had built up some hearts quite frustrating, especially with the first dungeon and no fast-travel yet, many slogs from homebase with the re-rented arrows. Still, though, I quite like the game so far and really dig the unguided nature. I spent a few hours just wandering around, digging up a few secrets, seeing what there is to see, making pin notes. I'm now past the second dungeon, and wish Ravio would go ahead and let me permanently buy items already. The wall mechanic is pretty neat as well, and I like how pervasive it is (sort of similar to Minish Cap and shrinking), but there are quite a few points where they arbitrarily block painting traversal with rocks or sconces. The art style on the characters is a little funky, but I understand why they went with it (though it might have been a good idea to limit camera shifts from the overhead; the story is as bare-bones as it comes, so no real need for "directed" cinematics). Excited to get deeper into this one.

Super Mario 3D Land (3DS):

The second game I bought with my 3DS. I'm three worlds in; it's dead easy and not as fleshed out and impressive as 3D World thus far, but damned if the 3D doesn't elevate the whole experience. I feel like I'm playing with an awesome hologram toy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:03:05 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 12, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
I've been playing Resident Evil 5 (Platinum #111), Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Episode 2-3), and Ori & The Blind Forest lately. RE5 holds up really well, RE6 is better than I've been led to believe (but it's still a very problematic game), and Revelations 2 wavers from episode to episode. In general, Barry's campaign has been way better than Claire's, at least until this most recent episode. I really like the story beats in that game, but the game in general is just lacking 2-3 layers of polish (especially after replaying RE5). As for Ori & the Blind Forest, I finished it last night and greatly enjoyed it, though I find the opening to be emotionally manipulative and not at all indicative of the rest of the game. You can't just go from "Grave of the Fireflies" to ****ing Contra and not expect tonal whiplash.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 12, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
though I find the opening to be emotionally manipulative and not at all indicative of the rest of the game. You can't just go from "Grave of the Fireflies" to ****ing Contra and not expect tonal whiplash.

Ha, yeah, I was shaking my head at that intro and then transition into what the game is actually like. It's telling that the game is getting a lot of praise for emotional nuance from the gaming press.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 12, 2015, 10:35:36 PM »
though I find the opening to be emotionally manipulative and not at all indicative of the rest of the game. You can't just go from "Grave of the Fireflies" to ****ing Contra and not expect tonal whiplash.

Ha, yeah, I was shaking my head at that intro and then transition into what the game is actually like. It's telling that the game is getting a lot of praise for emotional nuance from the gaming press.

There IS some really well-done emotional nuance in a handful of cutscenes very late in the game and the game as a whole is very moody. It's really just the transition from the prologue to the main game where you have that whiplash.

I do, though, take severe umbrage at how the game lies to you at the beginning of the game. The game goes out of its way to make you think the mother character died at the beginning, but around the middle of the game you see her running around again and she plays a very pivotal role in the ending.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:55 AM »
Zombie Incident (3DS eShop):

Neat little game. It has MSX-like graphical style, definitely reminds me of original La-Mulana PC release before it got graphical upgrade with WiiWare version.

Gameplay is pretty basic -- you just jump on enemies a few times until the die. Clear the room, move to then next. If there is a door in the room, it opens up when you clear it. Inside is a star that upgrades your "class" so you can to take down stronger enemies. There is a map on the bottom screen so you see which rooms you cleared.

It's all pretty simple, the only problem when you jumping through upper to upper border you get a glimpse of room above and then you immediate fall down and screen changes to lower room. This flicker with screen switching is very annoying.

Metroid 2 (Gameboy VC on 3DS):

I didn't even realized that rooms in original Metroid NES game only allowed either horizontal or vertical scrolling but not both. It seems like by second game Metroid team overcame this limitation and started to design huge cavernous 2d spaces as a compensation.

It's a cool game and probably better than first, but it still lacks the most important feature -- in-game map. I have like 35 or so metroids left to kill and i have no idea if i killed all of them in the area i am. I printed out spoiler-free map from Nintendo Power, but it's so featureless i can't even tell where i am on this map.

Ninja Gaiden II (Xbox 360):

I think i like the look of previous game, Ninja Gaiden Black better... It was so much cleaner looking, and looked (still does!) like an exceptional looking OG Xbox game, while II looks like dime-a-dozen 360 game with shiny plasticky models and jaggies all over the screen. Garish menus and typography also look weird after simple if unremarkable menus of NGB...

In NGB enemies were much easier to distinguish. Even black enemy ninjas were very easy to tell apart from Ryu, because Ryu's model is very detailed while black spider ninjas used to be so simple in design. Now with the power of 360, all enemies have detailed models and i constantly lose track of Ryu because he is black clad ninja among the crowd of black clad ninjas.

Delimbing is NGII's new feature. Now, when you slash at enemies they sometimes lose their limbs -- leg or an arm. When this happens, enemy goes into suicide mode and tries to get to you and and if he does he explodes. You need to press Y near delimbed enemy to activate finishing sequence, it happens happens automatically after you pressed the button and you're invincible during it.

It is satisfying to do, but not when it happens too often. The effect is greatly cheapened when you just pressing Y going from one delimbed enemy to the other killing them instantly. Sometimes it feels like enemies are made out of dough and lose limbs way too easily.

I originally started on Warrior difficulty but then i saw that there is a specific achievement for completing the game on Acolyte and restarted on that. Either way i didn't feel like i am in danger mostly because of regenerating health and Ultimate Techniques getting significant buffs (UT charging not stopping when hit, charging itself is also much faster than in NGB even with armlet on). I am in the middle of Hard campaign on NGB, so maybe that's why i don't feel challenged. But still, it's stupid when i just do charged UTs and kill the first boss in 20 seconds. Even on Acolyte that is like Kirby levels of easy.

Also the game has super tight analog deadzones for some reason. Both of my 360 controllers are now a bit loose and "drag" but it's not a problem in most games. It only becomes noticeable in Geometry Wars (on PC) and here. So because of that Ryu randomly starts to walk when i am not pushing the stick.

Metal Gear Solid 2 (Xbox 360, HD Collection):
Decided to mess around in the tanker, collecting dog tags. Not sure if i start replaying the game proper non-lethally, but it's tempting because there is an achievement for this...

360 version has a few neat control additions. Where previously it was a hassle to lower your gun without shooting, now you can just click left stick. This trick also makes hold-up procedure a bit easier with less finger twisting. Though i found out that this new control option doesn't work as well in the holds where i am in the dark among hundreds of marines and trying to do hold-up procedure on one of them. You can't afford to make any noise whatsoever or all hundred marines will notice you and you will see a field of exclamation marks:

Metal Gear Solid 3 (Xbox 360, HD Collection):

It's very cool to see how this series keeps evolving. In 3, you have two life bars instead of one. First one is the actual lifebar and it regenerates by itself. Second one is stamina. Lower stamina means lower regeneration, and overall your lower perfomance.

This two lifebars system actually appeared in MGS2, but was BOSSES who had them. Because 2 was designed as the first MGS game where you could do completely non-lethal run bosses had second life bar that could only be depleted by tranquilizer and other non-lethal weapons. Later, it was retroactively included into Twin Snakes.

Now in MGS3, YOU have two lifebars. To compensate for constant regeneration, now there are very few ways to directly heal your lifebar. Compare that to previous game where you could find dozens of rations laying everywhere and you can heal yourself with them anytime. Food that you find increases your stamina but doesn't directly heal you. The best practice is to hunt and always keep plenty of food on you to keep your stamina high at all times.

Inventory and weapons menus are now two-tiered as well. First tier is set of things that shows up in-game. But your full inventory is only available from menu. So you can't pick up a shotgun and use it right away -- you have to go to menus and set this shotgun as one of the eight objects available to you in-game.

Besides inventory you also manage food, camouflage and curing from the menu. You will spend a LOT of time in there doing the simplest menial tasks, like eating, changing your outfits and so on.

I really like how easy it is to slam enemies into the ground, knocking them out instantly. In MGS1 and 2 there were a lot of stupid restriction about throwing (your position, enemy position and even alert status, i think?) and even then it didn't felt reliable. In MGS3 if you run up to an enemy and tap B you will slam an enemy 100%.

I am ten or so hours in, and have fought three bosses so far. There are no try hard philosophy so far and more funny random banter is which is a huge plus. I am doing non-lethal run, which is probably not a good idea for a first playthrough, but whatever.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 19, 2015, 12:58:30 AM »
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (360):
This guy.

This fucking guy.

The End is often quoted among of best bosses in history of videogames.

The praise is justified.

It was so awesome, i stayed up to 3AM fighting him and then stayed up all night doing it all over again partly because i missed additional stuff and partly because i wanted to it again -- it was THAT great. This boss fight breaks so many rules, it's unconventional, prolonged AND intense all the way through. I barely made any work done next day for obvious reasons but it was worth it.

I checked by my save file time and first time it took me an hour and ten minutes. Second time i made it in half an hour.

Because i am doing non-lethal run i am restricted to my tranquilizer rounds. When i begun The End boss fight i had 40 shots. I usually run out of them half way into the battle and after that sniper duel morphs into running around after The End and trying to fight him with bare hands.

Reading afterwards all other possible ways to defeat The End was mind blowing. So much out of the box thinking went into designing this.

The boss after The End was so, so terrible. Not just in comparison, but like really, really terrible. It reminded me of awkward, annoying boss fights of MGS1 more than anything else.

It took me more time to kill him than The End and i was NOT having any fun during that. Because The Fury in contrast to The End actually aims to kill and he can do it very quickly, especially annoying because you're very limited in ways you can heal your life bar. I had two life medicines and it was not enough. The Fury kept finding me before i could naturally regenerate the damage he did to me. I was dying and restarting a lot.

And then i had to do it again, because just like with The End i forgot to pick up stuff The Fury drops after he dies.

These rewards for defeating bosses non-lethally are kinda in-game hacks -- you get some of the abilities of the bosses, like there is one that can makes you almost invisible. The reward The End leaves after him is his sniper rifle, which makes next boss a bit less painful to deal with. It's almost like Mega Man in a way.

Generally for all bosses thermal goggles is usually a game-breaker, because it eliminates a lot of challenge from most of them.

Shovel Knight (3DS):
Finished.

I will go for NG+ and will try some of achievements about finishing the entire game with various conditions (not dying in entire playthrough would be too hard, but no using any relics or not buying anything seems doable).

Bosses and levels have that Mega Man 1 wonkyness that was polished away in Mega Man 2, sometimes it felt like there is no way to avoid certain attacks and bit too much randomness.

Great game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 19, 2015, 12:59:52 AM »
Played through the FF 15 demo and...*sigh* it's a good demo for a pretty ****ing mediocre game that tries swings desperately to rip off a Western Open World game, and merely lands a single base run. The combat is godawful, with the camera rapidly swinging all over the place as your character take turns swinging at thin air because in the time it took to wind up your swing the 10 dudes swarming you already ran past you. This leads to combat taking for-****ing-ever to finish because you spend 5 minutes every battle just trying to HIT the enemy, chipping away at their HP so you win a battle of 1,000 cuts.

It's a large open environment, but the only fast travel is back to the last camp you used so you spend 99% of the demo walking, getting ambushed by enemies, 5 minute battle, more walking, more ambushes, wash, rinse, repeat. It's monotonous as ****, and I hope you loved the repetitive battle chatter in Xenoblade because this game does that, too but somehow manages to be more generic and less endearing about it. To be frank, the game looks like a mid-tier PS3 game, and it runs like a low-grade PS3 game, with many framerate issues and character dialogue just not playing on cue.

There is precisely one good moment in that demo, and it's right at the very end when you summon the most badass Ramuh the series has ever had.

So yeah, the game sucks but the demo does a very good job at letting you see the many different ways it sucks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:02:44 AM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:27 AM »
The Wolf Among Us is Telltale's best game.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #738 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
Any game where the text language changes in the middle of a bloody scene can't be "the best" anything.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #739 on: March 19, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
why do I get the impression Azeke is the only real gamer left around here?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 19, 2015, 03:08:08 PM »
Because you've never read my New Leaf thread?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 20, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
Any game where the text language changes in the middle of a bloody scene can't be "the best" anything.

I haven't heard of this bug. Is it PC only?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 20, 2015, 11:32:10 PM »
I'll bite.

I've been juggling a few titles ever since I got my PSTV (lightning deal on Amazon, cost me 45 bucks with a DualShock and a copy of the Lego Movie- the Game). Nothing has grabbed me firmly enough to try to focus on completely.

Ironfall: Invasion-
The game performs well and looks decent despite its generic art style- but the thing I enjoy most about Ironfall is how low-budget the game feels. It is an incredibly well-made game and I find myself constantly surprised with the amount of touchscreen implementation and weaponry, however it features some awful voice acting and story. That almost comes off as charming, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy my time with Ironfall. The glaring flaws are the low amount of ammo for the most interesting guns and that the campaign levels are too damn long.

Ys Seven-
I'm a big Ys fan. So when I finally got my PSTV I was excited to see what I had missed out on in Ys Seven and the. Oath in Felghana. The earnest story, kick ass music, and tense boss battles are all here, but the skill system is a bit disappointing and grinding those abilities never feels satisfying. I'm nearing the halfway point I'm the game and I'm starting to feel a bit of a grind.

Pokemon Shuffle-
I hate this game. I hate it because some I the stages feel cheap and the design practically begs for your money. Not having spent a single dime on the game, I feel a bit frustrated with those design points but honestly... The game is quite addicting and I enjoy the team building aspects. I don't like the current challenge for Lucario's Mega Stone, however.

Iron Combat: War in the Air-
Teyon released this title on the 3DS eShop on Thursday, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't roped in by the premise. Transform from girl-mech to jet and destroy tons of ****- it's like Liberation Maiden but a little more linear and a little more customizable. There's a lot of design choices that build the backbone of the games mechanics that are a bit questionable, but ultimately, it's fast paced and the boss battles are very fun. It's a sleeper indie title.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #743 on: March 20, 2015, 11:32:37 PM »

I haven't heard of this bug. Is it PC only?

360 version.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 21, 2015, 12:14:08 AM »
Whoever directed and edited the opening cutscene to Final Fantasy Type 0 HD should be dragged out into the street and shot. I haven't seen that many pointless fades to black since the ending of Return of the King.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »
For reasons unbeknownst to anyone, including and especially myself, I spent a good chunk of the morning playing Puzzle Quest: Galactrix. I remembered liking it when it came out despite generally mixed reception, and I still like it now. It really is spectacular how poorly it runs on the DS considering it's an entirely 2D match-3 puzzle game, but if you get past that, which I did, it's a nice evolution of the Puzzle Quest formula, and I always prefer generic sci-fi to generic fantasy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:17 AM »
System Shock 2: Worse thing so far about this game is the physics. They feel bloated and floaty. That is the worse thing about the game so far. You like Bioshock gameplay? Well, add attributes and an actual survival horror theme and you have System Shock 2. You get a choice on how you build you character by choosing his career (think Mass Effect career building, except it affects your attributes). Then you get called on a ship where **** hits the fan. Haven't gone really far into it, but there is more enemy variety in this game then in Bioshock. Your casual enemies are there called hybrids (think splicers), you have monkeys with psychic powers, and suicidal robots that run up to you. Lot of dark corners and hallways too. Something I know called midwives you eventually meet. Really fun game so far.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 27, 2015, 05:04:34 AM »
Assasin's Creed: Rogue (PC):
Here we go again!

Graphics looks great though water looks like goo, even on the highest graphics settings. Outside of sea it looks fantastic. It looks less plastic-y than ACIV:Black Flag and Freedom Cry sometimes become.

It's set in exactly the same location as ACIII and it makes a great contrast with how bland it looked. I mean it's still similar looking forest, but it looks a bit more colourful.

Outside slightly upgraded graphics -- it feels like ACIV mission pack for better and worse. Collectibles, naval stuff, free running -- good ol' ACIV.

When i was playing tutorial mission, one soldier noticed when i was jumping from tree to tree, got a bit close to investigate and stepped over a bonfire. That set him on fire and he died. Oh, Ubisoft. It least it was funny and ultimately helped me to full sync the mission.

Metal Gear Solid 2 (HD Collection, 360):
Parallel to playing and finishing MGS3 i replayed MGS2. This time i tried non-lethal approach and it was much easier than i thought it would be. Maybe i finally got accustomed to weird MGS controls. Game gave me "Pigeon" rank.

Then i tried out extra VR missions. They give you small isolated areas and you need to sneak past guards in there with various conditions. Figuring out ways to do this can get pretty fun.

Super Spy Hunter (NES):
Cool vertical shooter from SunSoft. I saw it last week on GameCenter CX and immediately recognized because it was one of the few games i played on Dendy as a kid.

It's a vertical shooter, but instead of set in space you're a car on a road. Road speeding by makes for a more exciting background than just parallax scrolling stars.

There are also a lot of obstacles and various conditions, like road gets icy, or you ride on the roofs of moving trucks, or you jump high in the sky and then have to land back on a track. Doesn't sound like much but i really like the feel of speed and exhilaration these gimmicks bring.

Two cannons that you can rotate are a cool mechanic, but you're better off picking up "C" power-up as soon as you can so that it starts to auto-aim and then just never stop shooting.

It's not bullet hell shmup, but it numbers of enemies and shots can get overwhelming sometimes and it's very satisfying to tread among the patterns and finding out the best way to beat level and kill bosses. I'm up to Boss 3 so far.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 27, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
3DS-a-palooza!

Super Mario Land (Gameboy VC):

This game is friggin' surreal. It feels like it came from an alternate dimension, or a 1001-game-device hack from Hong Kong. It preserves the SMB physics and play-style, but is populated by bizarre and tiny Gameboy variants of franchise staples. Turtle shells explode and are not kickable. Platforming paths are often abstruse and ad-hoc feeling. The controls aren't responsive enough which makes this fairly un-fun, but fascinating. There are even shoot-em-up sections! I'd like to see Nintendo mine this for it's out-there themes, like Ancient Eygpt and Easter Island.

Metroid II (Gameboy VC):

I only put an hour or so into this, and it's not quite what I expected. It doesn't feel as daunting and claustrophobic as the NES original (which I contend is still perfectly playable), probably partially due to limited on-screen sprites and more cavernous level design. It plays a bit closer to Super Metroid than I anticipated, partially due to the more modern-feeling spider ball ability. I probably should be keeping a map, though I've done a few satisfying bomb jump sequence breaks to get missiles and energy tanks. The Metroid extermination game structure is also pretty cool, and something I wouldn't mind seeing the series try again. (Or just legit remake this one a la Zero Mission).

Mole Mania (Gameboy VC):

This game is right up my alley, kind of an Adventures of Lolo with a Nintendo adventure spin and mechanical polish. It's already challenging in the first "world", and has a collectible element that gives it additional meat. Muddy for Smash!

Gunman Clive (3DS eShop):

I'm probably half-way through and enjoying it enough for it's price tag. I like the look, and there are some nice flares of creativity (train boss). Clive moves a bit slowly, and the level resets get annoying in platforming-heavy areas, but otherwise it's a fun hybrid of Sunset Riders and Mega Man.

Donkey Kong '94 (Gameboy VC):

I was probably most excited for this game of anything on the Gameboy VC given its cult status, but I'm not quite seeing what the fuss is about after the first few worlds. I mean, it's an interesting experiment in taking the arcade game and expanding it into a "real" adventure, but the stiff movement and jumping doesn't translate super well to this kind of experience, and I would also hesitate to call this a puzzle platformer. The headstand is a cool mechanic, though.

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS):

I was not super enthused about this one following the thoroughly pointless Return to Dreamland on the Wii, but I'm loving this game right off the bat. The wide variety of powers and the Smash-like movesets they confer really make the game a pleasure to play, combined with a constant introduction of novel gameplay elements and the well-done background-forefront interaction design. I thought the hypermode element would be akin to the crappy super mushroom from NSMB1, but it's actually quite fun and a great way to break up the levels. The game's super easy through the first two worlds, but I don't even mind. I would already rate this as the best traditional Kirby game since Dreamland 2.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
Finally gotten around to playing Destiny and I knew I would be disappointed with the story but man, that story was rubbish.  How the hell can you spend 100+ million on development and not put a single thought into plot? 

Also didn't love the grindfest the game turn into at lvl 20.  For those that never played the game, your exp is capped at level 20 but you can still lvl up your character to 32 with armor upgrades but that's where the game is broken.  For one you have to GRIND the **** of the game to BUY anything from a AI seller; there's no trading system so that's out; and finally the deal breaker for me, the loot system.  WHY the hell was I getting legendary items for other classes but my own? (^%*&) $*.  Can't sell them and can't wear them but they do look might terrifying in my INVENTORY. 

I'm used to grinding in RPGs but why the hell am I doing it in action games (GTA ONLINE, DESTINY).