Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 694929 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #775 on: April 16, 2015, 12:56:04 AM »
MGS4 (PS3):
After growling through three games Snake's voice completely falls apart here. Before he sounded like he was constipated 24/7, now it's like actor is having a stroke and gurgling out barely intelligible words.

As to game itself. Act 1 and 2 were petty cool. The gimmick with you directly changing the outcome of battle is pretty neat. It's an evolution of you changing the conditions in MGS3 by blowing up warehouses. Too bad you can only take side of the rebels, but ah well.

Act 3 was just an everyone's favourite Assassin's Creed style tailing sequence and another chase sequence on bike that was already getting too old after MGS3 and MGS1. Oh and a couple of hour long cutscenes.

I am not gonna criticize game just for having long cutscenes alone, but you gotta make them worth it. Make them fun and interesting. MGS4 cutscenes become atrocious halfway in. And the story... None of the motivations for characters make a lick of sense, entire plot is an incomprehensible mess (so far). Weird motion capture goofs are also annoying (or maybe it's me misunderstanding japanese body language, but either way in "dramatic" scenes, characters emote VERY unnaturally).

I am at Act 4 so far. It is pure nostalgia pandering, you even get audio flashbacks from previous game. Seeing an old level with PS3 level tech is pretty cool.

Bosses. Laughing octopus boss was eh. Raging Raven was terrible, very annoying. It was like Pac-Man style bosses of MGS1-2 only now you have multiple levels to operate on.

Once you defeat the boss you get a scene where beauties dismantled of their gear try to hug you or something. It's baffling. Their backstories are baffling as well. Am i supposed to laugh at edginess of these stories or something? Cause i want to.

Cutscene with Raiden taking on metal gear cows was very cool. I now i see where Revengeance's moves are coming from.

Also playing Fantasy Zone 3D Classics on 3DS and Super Spy Hunter (got to level 5, it's either ridiculously long or i am misunderstanding something) and DMC1 (finishing up S-ranking Dante Must Die mode, currently on penultimate level).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - What a weird little game.

I'm enjoying my time well enough to keep playing, despite some unfortunate design decisions - sudden death falls, pointless (but mandatory) quick-time events, unlimited lives during boss fights, etc. The combo system for combat is interesting enough, and the overall castle design is decent so far... yet I still feel let down by the whole experience so far and keep wishing they used nice sprite work instead of the somewhat ugly 3D models (even though it doesn't really matter much since the game design is all 2D level layouts so far).

Maybe a victim of high expectations?  Regardless, I'd still say the actual game is leaps and bounds better than the demo that was released - and am glad to have picked it up on sale a while back.  Looking forward to getting further into the game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (PC):

I picked this up based on some fairly positive reviews I'd seen, calling this a satisfying Zelda-esque occupying a space somewhere between the top-down and 3D games.

This game has made me realize just how good even the "disappointing" Zeldas are, if this is what's considered a competent take on the genre. It plays more like a generic kid-oriented dungeon crawler than an actual exploration-based action adventure game, and every single element of the limited gameplay is handled poorly. There's zero challenge, almost nothing that could be legitimately considered a puzzle rather than a transparent obstacle, logey controls, crummy art design, an annoying and constraining isometric perspective, painfully bad writing/scenarios, ultra-boring ocean traversal that makes Phantom Hour glass's sailing look like a simulation in comparison, useless items and spells, one collectible that is viscerally unpleasant to collect.

There is actually one decent island that I just hit near the end (I think), but it is apparently optional and very different than any of the other "dungeon" areas. I don't know if I can even bring myself to bother with the last area.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Mortal Kombat X, it's awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 24, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Had a nice long Smash Bros Wii U session with my two offspring and a Link Amiibo last night. Much laughs were had by all. Especially when the Amiibo sometimes won!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - What a weird little game.

I'm enjoying my time well enough to keep playing, despite some unfortunate design decisions - sudden death falls, pointless (but mandatory) quick-time events, unlimited lives during boss fights, etc. The combo system for combat is interesting enough, and the overall castle design is decent so far... yet I still feel let down by the whole experience so far and keep wishing they used nice sprite work instead of the somewhat ugly 3D models (even though it doesn't really matter much since the game design is all 2D level layouts so far).

Maybe a victim of high expectations?  Regardless, I'd still say the actual game is leaps and bounds better than the demo that was released - and am glad to have picked it up on sale a while back.  Looking forward to getting further into the game.
I liked the demo.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:21 PM »
I still contend that the 3DS version of that game is the superior version to play, if only because Mercury Steam did some really cool tricks with the 3D that just weren't possible in the HD version. Plus, the 3DS version had the QTEs, which the combat feels really neutered without in the HD version.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:54 AM »
I decided to pick up a couple games I've had sitting on my Vita for a while for the first time tonight, with mixed results.

First, Spelunky. I have friends who rave about this game, but I just can't get into it. I get what it's going for, but for whatever reason it's not clicking with me.

Second was Stealth Inc. I know the sequel got a ton of rave reviews, and have meaning to get around to this one which I've had for a while, and I'm really glad I did. Pretty excellent little puzzle platformer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 28, 2015, 12:30:28 AM »
Stealth Inc. I know the sequel got a ton of rave reviews, and have meaning to get around to this one which I've had for a while, and I'm really glad I did. Pretty excellent little puzzle platformer.
I wouldn't say rave reviews. Stealth Inc 2 is alright, better than first game for sure.

First game's problem is how tedious it becomes -- lots of repetition and memorization required to S-rank levels.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:11 AM »
I've been playing a ton of Borderlands 2 via the Handsome Collection on PS4, so I finally played all the DLC I never got around to originally. Suffice it to say that if you ever play the game, play Tiny Tina's DLC (which is easily the best content in the entire game); the 3 holiday DLC; and then go play something else because the rest of the DLC just isn't worth it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 28, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
Been playing Story of Seasons lately, and as a longtime fan of the series (for those who are unaware, this is effectively the newest Harvest Moon game, though Natsume, the previous publisher of the series in the west, is no longer doing it but still owns that trademark), I think this is easily the best one they've made in a long time. It retains a lot of the customization of the previous 3DS installment, A New Beginning, but fixes the horrifically slow pace that game had in the beginning. Does enough new to feel fresh while doing pretty much all the standard stuff right.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »
Pokemon Shuffle is like Candy Crush but different. Apparently there is a lot of strategic depth to this game, but I don't know anything about Pokemans. I just want to capture Meowth.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
Fluidity (Wiiware):

This one's an odd duck. I kind of like everything about it except for actually playing it. The concept is great, and they nailed the (I think) unique aesthetic, and it controls well for being almost completely physics based. But I can't put more than a half hour into at a time before becoming frustrated and fatigued, especially as the game ramps up in difficulty quickly and requires some precise maneuvering. Jumping, in particular, tends to hobble the experience. Just making that a button press would ease things up considerably, but I supposed wouldn't really jibe with what they were going for here. Overall it kind of feels like playing a pinball game.

One thing that is definitely whack, though, is that they don't show you how many puzzle pieces you have left on the map, while they do so for rainbow drops and flowers. This is kind of baffling, and will probably lead me to ignoring this collectible, which is unfortunate, as they tend to be the most challenging/interesting to grab. Alas, they seem to only be used for unlocking deeply unappealing minigames, so not a huge lost I suppose.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 04, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »
I finally got around to starting Mass Effect. This game was the main reason I bought an Xbox 360 back in 2008, and then I never got around to it until now, and I'm actually playing it on PS3. I'm going with a female Shepard, with the Renegade path. So far I'm liking it a lot. I wish more games would use the sci-fi setting, I'm so sick of every RPG being swords and magic fantasy. The story's well-crafted, well-acted and compelling, and the shooting action is pretty solid. Really excited to get more into this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »
What year is it?  ... Because I just spent $60 on WiiWare.   :Q

* And Yet It Moves - Yes, I could (already did) buy for less on Steam, but I much prefer couch gaming and the greatly improved controls and extra levels make this version more desirable anyway.
* Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth - Given all the recent Konami news, this was my impetus for buying Wii Shop credit. Of all games in the ReBirth series, this classic Castlevania throwback appeals to me most and I didn't want it to disappear before I could buy.
* Dive: The Medes Islands Secret - Always curious about this WiiWare exclusive and decided to finally pull the trigger. I'm always a fan of exploration-heavy games and this sounds like it fits the bill.
* Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord - Another WiiWare exclusive, in the same family (but with totally different gameplay) as My Life as King. Shame there is so much DLC, because it's extremely unlikely I'll ever care enough to buy in. Apparently the game is great even without the extra content though.
* Let's Catch - Because WTF. Seriously, WTF...
* Max & the Magic Marker - This was the odd title. Not a WiiWare exclusive or even "best" on the platform... but seems like a fantastic game to play with my kids.

This wasn't a good investment, but my tax refund just came in and there are a bunch of these games that just can't be found elsewhere.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 05, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »
ejamer, NyxQuest is a very good WiiWare game. I think it is related somehow to Dive (developer or engine or something). I think it is better than Dive.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 05, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
I finally got around to starting Mass Effect. This game was the main reason I bought an Xbox 360 back in 2008, and then I never got around to it until now, and I'm actually playing it on PS3. I'm going with a female Shepard, with the Renegade path. So far I'm liking it a lot. I wish more games would use the sci-fi setting, I'm so sick of every RPG being swords and magic fantasy. The story's well-crafted, well-acted and compelling, and the shooting action is pretty solid. Really excited to get more into this.

I liked Mass Effect so much that I powered through all three games one after another which I've never done with any game series ever.  I find it interesting when I read about males playing as a female Shepard.  Not that I'm being sexist, I just thought the idea was that Shepard is YOU.  I played a male Shepard because I'm a male and I tried to make him look somewhat like me and I made the decisions that I would have made.  I think that's why I connected with the game so much.  But then if you're trying to go down the renegade path (I'm assuming you're not an evil person in real life) then it would be more playing a character than yourself in which case you might as well craft whatever Shepard you want.

Right now I'm playing the Final Fantasy X Remaster on the PS3.  I never played it on the PS2 and I feel like I would have enjoyed it much more had I played it when it was current.  Many of its noteworthy features like full 3D and voice acting are all very routine now so now this is a very linear RPG with an annoying main character and some melodramatic story involving daddy issues.  It's the sort of teen-focused nonsense that would have probably gone over well with me in high school but seems really dumb now.  Oh and I'm playing this shortly after going through Mass Effect which has a much MUCH better story.  Story isn't everything, except in FFX it kind of is.  The game so far hasn't given me much time to explore at my own pace and get into the battle system like Bravely Default did.  Instead I'm quickly whisked from place to place where the battles seem more like padding before continuing on to the next cut scene.  Again that's an RPG approach I liked when I was a teen but today I tend to prefer RPGs that focus more on the strategy of battles and classes and such.  Had I played this game back in 2001 when I was barely 20 I would have thought it was awesome.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
Right now I'm playing the Final Fantasy X Remaster on the PS3.  I never played it on the PS2 and I feel like I would have enjoyed it much more had I played it when it was current.  Many of its noteworthy features like full 3D and voice acting are all very routine now so now this is a very linear RPG with an annoying main character and some melodramatic story involving daddy issues.  It's the sort of teen-focused nonsense that would have probably gone over well with me in high school but seems really dumb now.  Oh and I'm playing this shortly after going through Mass Effect which has a much MUCH better story.  Story isn't everything, except in FFX it kind of is.  The game so far hasn't given me much time to explore at my own pace and get into the battle system like Bravely Default did.  Instead I'm quickly whisked from place to place where the battles seem more like padding before continuing on to the next cut scene.  Again that's an RPG approach I liked when I was a teen but today I tend to prefer RPGs that focus more on the strategy of battles and classes and such.  Had I played this game back in 2001 when I was barely 20 I would have thought it was awesome.

*shrugs* I didn't play FF X until something like 6-7 years after it came out, and it's still my favorite Final Fantasy, so to each their own. To me, Yuna's story in that game is probably the best story the series has ever done, and the way every character in your party is woven into it really clicked with me. As for the story leash, that'll loosen once you reach the Calm Lands, and it will come off altogether after you reach Zanarkand.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
As for me, I've been playing Bloodborne, Broken Age, and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. So far, I'm enjoying Bloodborne as my first entry in the "Souls" series; Broken Age is visually stunning but I'm not in far enough to say more than that; and The Old Blood is not as good as The New Order (it has very little downtime and storytelling, which I thought really set The New Order apart) but it's still a pretty decent shooter.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #794 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:29 PM »
I'm playing two 3DS eShop titles, BoxBoy! and Bloo Kid 2 currently. Mario Kart 8 is getting a rebirth of play time in our household due to the new DLC and 200 cc.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 11, 2015, 04:22:54 AM »
I've been playing Borderlands 2 on the Handsome Collection on PS4, and tonight I took advantage of the cross-save ability to continue my game on the Vita version. The Vita game didn't get a great reception when it came out, but I think it works pretty well (though I believe they've improved the performance via patches since release). It feels like the same game on a smaller screen, and the control setup they've implemented works about as well as it probably could given the lower amount of buttons.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 11, 2015, 05:35:50 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles so far is very enjoyable. Combat feels fun enough right now that I don't mind retrying for a A rank in a mission. The leveling system is a wonderful idea because then I don't have to pull out other units when one dies to replace them with a low level one. And unit variety is nice.

I've only had one problem with the PC version is it randomly closing itself making me lose all my save progress up to that point. Annoying because I didn't know how to save until after it crashed and I had to do the tutorial all over again.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2015, 01:07:16 AM »
Finished my playthrough of Bloodborne. Overall, it doesn't have me clamoring to play the actual Souls games, but I really enjoyed the game despite the story being so obfuscated you can't even draw your own conclusions. It scratched some very particular Metroid; Zelda; & Castlevania itches, and despite the Souls series' reputation the difficulty in Bloodborne is hard but surprisingly manageable. I've seen worse: I beat Dead Space 2 on Hard Core mode, where any enemy could kill you in 1-2 hits and you could only save 3 times. I even managed to walk away with one of these (and this was by no means an easy one):

Platinum GET!!! (#114)  ;) And yes, I played through the entire game with the Threaded Cane, which is a cane that transforms into a whip. Because it's basically a 3D Castlevania game.

I think I'll be taking a break from heavy gaming for a while, though. Bloodborne was an exhausting endeavor (honestly, I didn't think I still had those kind of reflexes after Tropical Freeze gave me so much trouble) so I need to play through something relaxing & kind of easy next. Not sure what just yet, though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:10:57 AM by broodwars »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 12, 2015, 02:06:42 AM »
Dragon's Dogma (PS3):
Attempt to make the first action RPG with combat that doesn't suck ass is commendable, but the headache inducing framerate and RPG grind tropes made me scratch it off my "to buy in the future" list.

I was already struggling with painful framerate but when they asked me to collect five specific flowers that only appear in some area only during the night i lost all interest.

Sengoku Basara 3 Utage:
Played japanese version a bit. All menues are in moon, so it took me a while to start the campaign. Fortunately my random pick ended up to be Mogami Yoshiaki.
He is super funny and super fun to kill hundreds of poor mooks.

Not gonna start playing Sengoku Basara proper, but it's cool to give it a look to see what's it about.

I changed my work PC and now i can finally login into steam directly from my workplace. Now i can play Steam games on lunch breaks. This should do some good for some of my neglected steam games, like Stealth bastard Deluxe. I S-ranked half of the game due to this.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PPSSPP):
"Body dragging simulator" moniker is right. Most of the levels are pretty small and missions are pretty brief but the majority of it you will be spending dragging bodies to the truck of closest box.

Managing your growing army of soldiers with random animal names gets tedious, ultimately you don't really need it though, except for spy units.

Playing as other characters somewhat breaks the monotony though. It's pretty funny to play as a wimpy scientist or a nurse taking down bosses.

I've defeated two bosses so far, and both took me a few restarts and i had to sacrifice a few of my guys to finish them. Their design is nothing special -- you just run around the corner and as they come out you shoot them. I didn't even bother with trying to do this non-lethally (but apparently i should have because if you defeat first boss non-lethally you recruit him as a playable character).

Overall the game is quite boring but sometimes you can do some neat metal gear things. I actually don't mind comic book style story cutscenes and the story is okay.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 13, 2015, 06:07:19 AM »
Finished up Bayonetta 2, loved the combat, but the plot left me feeling like this:
https://i.imgur.com/arm9bH9.png

Who writes this stuff?