Author Topic: If Nintendo has a "real" Press Conference at E32015...I award you no points!  (Read 29293 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't do something like it sooner actually. Especially after some of the bad conferences that happened. I guess when the conferences were good, it was easier to forget the bad. Yet, I have a feeling that if Wii Music had been debuted and shown in a Nintendo Direct or Digital E3 type video, it probably wouldn't have had such a negative perception and instant loathing that it got from being shown at a traditional press conference.

Instead of having a group of people come on and force enthusiasm to be playing this game at this moment for an awkward moment, making a game appealing is much more easier and simpler by the way it is done now in Nintendo Directs and E3 Digital Events. Insanolord mentioned the Skyward Sword technical issues which is another thing that can crop up even no matter what the quality of the game is and is another example I was thinking of where it instantly starts creating a negative impression in the audience's mind as the presenters start struggling to keep the momentum and enthusiasm up.

Frankly, an E3 presentation is usually just some live commentators talking about a game and then throwing the audiences attention to a brief video of said game over and over. Why not just make it all video? That said, I am glad to have the moment of Reggie immediately exiting off stage after handing it over for the Wii Music performance as he makes sure to not be seen anywhere near the giant bomb about to be unleashed on the audience. Classic stuff and it always makes me laugh.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I think the other companies mainly do them because that's what's expected and what everyone else does. Nintendo, as usual, could not care less what the conventional way to do something is, and are doing what they think is best for them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Skyward Sword issues are a good point.  Thought the "control the message" thing also leaves room for abuse, like cherry picking good looking gameplay in a bad game or just outright faking it if the game's controls were too wonky.  I trust Nintendo on that but if MS or Sony wanted to do the same thing they would probably be accused of bullshot.

Wii Music got crapped on because the game is one of the worst titles Nintendo has ever released and that was the main focus of E3 that year because THAT was the big holiday game.  It was a bad E3 followed by a bad year on the Wii.  When did Nintendo get a hostile reaction at E3 that was completely undeserved?  They tend to get **** on when their showing is weak and praised when it's good.  Hiding the live element doesn't change that.  So instead of a live audience shitting on Nintendo they get **** on after the fact online.  Plus if the goal to avoid a bad live reaction then don't disappoint.  Try not to make bad games.  If you have good stuff you'll get the reaction you want.  Plus isn't it pretty damn cool to have those situations where the live audience goes nuts for something awesome?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
We'll always have the Twilight Princess reveal to remember what the best of E3 can be. As long as Sony and MS keep having them I'll be happy. Also, it looks like Nintendo spends in the 7 figure budget when E3 rolls around. They spend about 200k on booth space alone and thats just to rent the space. Factor in builds, equipment and planners, greasing the local politicians to forgo some unpleasantries and this thing can get up there.

Nintendo hasn't been making a ton of money over the last couple years and this new focus on spending the right money looks like a good move.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Thought the "control the message" thing also leaves room for abuse, like cherry picking good looking gameplay in a bad game or just outright faking it if the game's controls were too wonky.

You say that like it's something that doesn't happen all the time in live press conferences.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
With the live streaming, you have a group of people who, while not casual players, are also a part of Nintendo's PR team. They are sometimes good players, sometimes bad, but when you're looking at that kind of format it's hard to fake controls. Maybe cherry picking might be an issue, but that's all.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Thought the "control the message" thing also leaves room for abuse, like cherry picking good looking gameplay in a bad game or just outright faking it if the game's controls were too wonky.  I trust Nintendo on that but if MS or Sony wanted to do the same thing they would probably be accused of bullshot.

See: Watch_Dogs, The Order, Aliens Colonial Marines, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Nintendo controlling the marketing message any more than any other dev/pub. I think it's a real problem, but Nintendo has more of a problem not commenting when things go off-script, rather than in their initial presentation.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Wii Music got crapped on because the game is one of the worst titles Nintendo has ever released...

Eh...I don't know about that, man. If you really look over Nintendo's history, their floor goes pretty damn deep. As bad as Wii Music probably is, I don't think it's up there with the likes of Urban Champion, Odama, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Balloon Fight.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Hey, the President of Nintendo Co. Ltd. assures me that Balloon Fight is actually an excellent game.

J.P. Corbran

Nintendo made E3 what it is, not having them present just means that either they are becoming irrelevant or E3 as a whole is becoming irrelevant that might be what is actually happening here.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo made E3 what it is, not having them present just means that either they are becoming irrelevant or E3 as a whole is becoming irrelevant that might be what is actually happening here.

I also kind of question the assumption that companies don't get anything out of E3 press conferences when Bethesda's going to do one this year for the first time ever. If they were really the monetary black hole that's been suggested, you'd think Bethesda would be happy to just piggyback off of the Sony & Microsoft press events & save themselves some major money.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Clearly the mainstream opinion in the industry is that they're beneficial, but the question is how accurate that perception is, and I don't think there's really a good way to track that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile

I also kind of question the assumption that companies don't get anything out of E3 press conferences when Bethesda's going to do one this year for the first time ever. If they were really the monetary black hole that's been suggested, you'd think Bethesda would be happy to just piggyback off of the Sony & Microsoft press events & save themselves some major money.
Or it wants to think it has a seat at the adults table. "If Activision has a press conference, we should have a press conference."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Let's just cancel all the press conferences unless Tak Fuji is hosting them. These conferences need to be more EXTREEEEEEEME.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
Let's just cancel all the press conferences unless Tak Fuji is hosting them. These conferences need to be more EXTREEEEEEEME.

Such a classic should not ever be forgotten.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Thought the "control the message" thing also leaves room for abuse, like cherry picking good looking gameplay in a bad game or just outright faking it if the game's controls were too wonky.

You say that like it's something that doesn't happen all the time in live press conferences.

Yeah that's true, but it's easier to spot someone faking the controls when they're on stage doing it.

To me the conference is the expected industry standard.  Nintendo hanging out on the outskirts of the rest of the industry hasn't done them too many favours lately.  I just think it's important that they look like they're still a part of the industry.  Like they're not some wackjob fuddy-duddy company struggling to remain relevant (thought that kind of IS what they are) but still a real force in videogames.  Nintendo has the failing console, they stop having a conference at E3 around the same time - it just looks bad from a PR perspective.  Besides Nintendo could stand to do SOME things conventionally for a change.

I am actually going to change my position on this, just from a financial stand point. If it saves them money and they can reinvest that into growing Wii U then I am all for it. But only because they really need to invest in making more games and if saving money on a conference gives them the resources to make more games who cares if they are irrelevant the fact is to gaming as a whole they have been irrelevant since they showed off the Wii remote.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile

the fact is to gaming as a whole they have been irrelevant since they showed off the Wii remote.

Interesting, care to expound on that?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Last I checked Galaxy 2 was tied for best rated game of the last generation on Metacritic. They were definitely relevant to gaming as a whole at least some of the time since then. The big stuff still brings in attention.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Gamerankings.com has it at 3rd, with SMG at #1...and that's for all time. Ocarina of Time is at #2.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I also remember seeing a whole bunch of tweets from game media people saying they were ignoring their brand new Xbox One and/or PS4 because they were too busy playing Mario 3D World, so I think it's safe to say EAD Tokyo is definitely relevant.

J.P. Corbran

the fact is to gaming as a whole they have been irrelevant since they showed off the Wii remote.

Interesting, care to expound on that?

...do what I do ,  Start by making an outrageous claim nobody in their right mind could believe...and watch the replies flood in... plus the rest of the forums are for me to converse with the voices in my head...there will be those who still enjoy it because they will never say anything bad about Nintendo because they are too emotionally invested in this company...I used to be that way then I got my hands on a Wii

Yeah THREE big games in 20 years makes them relevant to gaming as a whole now. I think its safer to say they are relevant to a shrinking populace of die hard loyalists and a few straggles who have moved on but still wish for them to make a come back. They are still around but they are far from relevant.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:30:26 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
You must think pretty highly of yourself you confuse the ideas of you and gaming as a whole in your head.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I think you're hitting the nail on the head there.

Too many fans of video games have a hard time distinguishing their tastes and opinions with the rest of the world. I'm continuously baffled by people who play sports games until I remember to check myself.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile

Yeah THREE big games in 20 years makes them relevant to gaming as a whole now. I think its safer to say they are relevant to a shrinking populace of die hard loyalists and a few straggles who have moved on but still wish for them to make a come back. They are still around but they are far from relevant.

"Mr. Marvel_Moviefan_2012, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read that. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."