Author Topic: If Nintendo has a "real" Press Conference at E32015...I award you no points!  (Read 29285 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
I agree. Remember all the time Iwata wasted by talking during last year's E3 Digital Event?

Oh that's right he didn't utter a single word during the entire presentation.

And yet you want a live press conference where he'll inevitably make an appearance and talk about stuff and say Please Understand and all that other meme-worthy stuff. And we'll sorta maybe-not-really-wink-wink make fun of his accent, because look at that funny Japanese old man we all want fired on stage with his ill-fitting suits.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I agree. Remember all the time Iwata wasted by talking during last year's E3 Digital Event?

Oh that's right he didn't utter a single word during the entire presentation.

That's because he was ill.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
E3 Digital Event

Hey remember that time I talked about how Iwata didn't utter a single word during the E3 Digital Event, the video presentation that aired before the start of E3, in which he appeared in the Smash Amiibo reveal sketch with Reggie?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
E3 Digital Event

Hey remember that time I talked about how Iwata didn't utter a single word during the E3 Digital Event, the video presentation that aired before the start of E3, in which he appeared in the Smash Amiibo reveal sketch with Reggie?

Yes, I know he was in that. And I will remind you again that around that time was when Iwata got really sick and spent most of the rest of the year out of the public spotlight. We don't know how much that affected that Direct's recording. Regardless, yes we got Reggie during the Robot Chicken stuff. That's how it should be, and it worked well. That said, if I can put up with Sony droning on about Powers for what feels like an hour (which they're still doing on their blog), I can tolerate Iwata being on stage for 10 minutes if it means we get a real E3 event instead of Nintendo's Direct-to-Video Direct.  I'll reiterate once again: I want the Treehouse stuff to return. I don't get anything out of it, but it's a great idea and clearly so many others did get into it. I just want that and a real press conference.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:57:00 AM by broodwars »

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Press conferences seem useless unless you are announcing something major like a new console. Other then that, it seems like its mainly used to spew bullshit.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Press conferences seem useless unless you are announcing something major like a new console. Other then that, it seems like its mainly used to spew bullshit.

As opposed, of course, to Nintendo Directs, which Nintendo never uses to spew bullshit.*cough*N64VirtualConsoleOnWiiU*cough*

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I think that we can all agree that Broodwars wants what is worst for Nintendo and isn't afraid to tell everyone else their current ideas are stupid.

Yes, the Direct and the Treehouse material was well-received, and I think Nintendo is aware of that. At the same time, it's always nice to see live reactions- I still remember my first E3 conference and I remember how exciting it was to hear people cheering for stuff. I would gladly take either, but honestly, the last live conference they did was garbage and if it's going to be like that, they should quit while they're ahead.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The last live conference was garbage because they had very little to show. That E3 probably would have been immensely disappointing to me if I wasn't there in person. If they'd done a regular conference last year it'd have been great because they had a lot of stuff to unveil. When they have the goods, the presentation is good, regardless of how they give it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
1. If you have an issue with any of the speaking voices on our podcast, you are always welcome to leave feedback at nintendofreeradio@gmail.com, or in the General Discussion threads for any of our podcasts. But I don't have to worry about that, because you never do.

*gasp* So, if I write in enough complaining about your voice, you'll take yourself off the air? Time to start up the grassroots campaign to make it happen. Finally, Broodwars and fun can be used in the same sentence.

Actually listen to our shows and write-in, and I'll entertain the notion of actually caring about what you think, which is more than I do right now.  From where I stand, if I'm putting myself out there twice a month for 3 hours at a time (plus editing time, which no one who hasn't done it really appreciates) and I don't hear from someone who claims to listen to the show, I question what use you are to me.

Ha ha ha. What a sales pitch! I've tried to listen to the show but everytime this Austin fella starts talking, I just can't bear to listen anymore because his accent ruins his speech delivery and I just give up.

But seriously, putting on a smug / defensive attitude isn't going to do you any favors if you actually want to attract an audience to your show. If someone told you "I'll entertain the notion of actually caring about what you think" or "I question what use you are to me", would you then decide to listen to that person's opinions on anything? I know you don't care if I actually listen or became a member which is fair because I won't be listening to the show so you don't need to. However, there are other people on these forums who might. People who may side with you on your opinions of things which I don't often do. Yet, even if people agree with you, you can still turn them off and sour them with a haughty and arrogant attitude which that post exudes and thus kill off interest from a potential audience because that kind of a person isn't that enjoyable to spend time with or listen to.

And in the end, that's the funny thing about it all. You put yourself out there doing this show and giving your views. You've got more forum posts than me and you've even got more time online spent on this site than me despite the fact that I've been around 3 years longer. Yet, despite my "smaller presence" if you will, if I were to stop posting here today then I'd be missed by a lot of people on this site. If you did, I'm not sure who would really be that saddened aside from perhaps your podcast mates. The reason is because of how we engage with others, how we present ourselves and our message. It's the language of our posts.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Oh snap.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

I side with Broodwars here, not just because I have attempted to record and edit a podcast nobody cared to listen to but because I prefer a person who has the balls to be an asshole and not give a **** what weasels think of him. Not saying anyone here is a weasel just saying I prefer someone who doesn't give a **** to someone who has to kiss his audiences ass to get them to listen. 

I also side with Ian here, NOT having a big conference when everyone else is does make them look less relevant like they aren't playing with the big boys anymore. Directs are stupid because the people who see them ALREADY own a fucking Nintendo device the E3 conference is seen by far greater numbers of people and the Directs don't get that across it takes extra effort to find them. Everyone covers the Conference.

Also like it has been said before why can't they do both? If they did both nobody would have said anything, why do they constantly have to give people a reason to second guess them when they could just be smart and reach everyone? Smart and Nintendo are not compatible these days.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Of course marvel_moviefan_2012 agrees with broodwars. Buddy, it isn't about whether or not he cares about what people think of him, its how he carries himself when he has a show he obviously cares about and very obviously wants people to watch it. If he verbally assaults people over the show, how is that going to inspire someone who may be on the fence about it to take the time to check it out?

The poor man got the Oblivion lecture and its been a long time coming.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
...I prefer a person who has the balls to be an asshole and not give a **** what weasels think of him.

If he really doesn't care what people think of him he wouldn't run off to twitter to talk **** about the forum members.

Also like it has been said before why can't they do both? If they did both nobody would have said anything, why do they constantly have to give people a reason to second guess them when they could just be smart and reach everyone? Smart and Nintendo are not compatible these days.

Last year, NOA was given a budget and told to be responsible with their spending. So they're not going to do both things this year. I expect Nintendo to work with a similar structure and budget and the digital event + live streaming will work just as good as a big budge press conference.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I also side with Ian here, NOT having a big conference when everyone else is does make them look less relevant like they aren't playing with the big boys anymore. Directs are stupid because the people who see them ALREADY own a fucking Nintendo device the E3 conference is seen by far greater numbers of people and the Directs don't get that across it takes extra effort to find them. Everyone covers the Conference.
That's a tremendous leap in logic. How do you figure that only Nintendo hardware owners are watching the Nintendo Directs?

People at home have to go out of their way to watch both the live press conferences and the Nintendo E3 Digital Event. Everyone is just watching video in front of their computer/TV screens. That sounds like a draw, except the live press conferences are riddled with technical difficulties, awkward pauses, and such. The people attending the actual expo are addressed by all console makers whether the conference is open or closed. That again sounds like a draw.

I have brought up the fact that Nintendo has had a larger booth than Sony numerous times and he has failed to address it. No one attending the actual show is thinking Nintendo is small time. The only way anyone is thinking Nintendo skipped E3 ever is if they deliberately avoided all Nintendo coverage because there's so much news and footage coming from the show. Ian's logic doesn't make sense here. It's more Nintendo-does-everything-wrong rhetoric. There are times I can at least see where he's coming from (even if I disagree). This is not one of those times.

I suppose Nintendo could have an open press conference and a Nintendo E3 Digital Event, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's necessary if they cover the same material. The Digital Event cuts the fat and get right to the point. I don't think the reactions from the live crowd are worth the effort. Sometimes it even obscures what is being shown. The o my reaction that matters to me is my own as I'm watching at home. I've certainly geeked out during E3 before.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
The last live conference was garbage because they had very little to show. That E3 probably would have been immensely disappointing to me if I wasn't there in person. If they'd done a regular conference last year it'd have been great because they had a lot of stuff to unveil. When they have the goods, the presentation is good, regardless of how they give it.

Yeah, I wondered last year if that had more to do with Nintendo's E3 format than anything else. The thinner your lineup (regardless of the quality), the harder it is to blow it out on the big stage. If they had more than 40-50 minutes of content and weren't going through financial problems, I wonder if Nintendo would have done the big "E3 thing" last year.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Alright, guys, regarding the "other" thing: last night's rant. I'm going to do something that's very hard for me to do and I understand if you skip it: "I'm sorry." I've been going through a very rough patch lately. I lost my job a few months ago, recent prospects don't look good, and I'm finding myself on the bad side of 30 looking back over my life and often wondering what I've accomplished and what the point of it all is. Honestly, if it weren't for the show keeping me connected to 2 of my favorite people to speak to, I don't know if I could hold on. I've made no secret on the show that I've been battling with depression for years. So yes, I'm very protective of our show: the smallest irritations vex me, and I've spent years trying to improve both the quality of the final product as well as my own input in it. It's not right or fair that I take my frustrations about it out on you, and I'm sorry for that.

I still have many, many issues with Nintendo and we're not going to see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, but I'm going to try not to take my own real-world issues out on the forums like that again. Hopefully, we can keep the discussion rolling. Now please, don't make a big deal about this.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo did the traditional conference for years and years and the only time it ever bit them in the ass is when they had a weak lineup to show, as insanolord has pointed out.  A shitty Nintendo E3 usually means a shitty upcoming year.

So since the traditional conference never hurt them and it is the perceived industry standard that Nintendo is the only one not doing, what harm is there in doing it?  It doesn't have to be this or the other stuff they've done.  They can do both.  Give me an example of how it would be BAD for Nintendo to have traditional press conferences again.  Give me an example of what they've GAINED by not doing it.  It's not like this new way has increased sales - Nintendo has never been worse off since they entered the gaming industry.

Doing the press conference never hurt them, not doing it hasn't helped them in any way, so why not start doing the conferences again if that's the expectation for the industry?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-nintendo-explains-why-its-e3-press-conference-wasn-t-live/1100-6420399/

Basically echoes what has been said. Live shows aren't very conducive for showing games by men who don't speak good english.

To Ian's point: What they gain is the ability to show their games to their consumers in a setting most effective to showcase the most important factor, gameplay. The also gain money, as  2 hour press conference can cost a hefty some of coin. (high 6 figures is a modest est). In stead of a press we got a tourney, and 3 days of live coverage straight from the horses mouth. If they can do both AWESOME but Nintendo is saying they can't or won't do both for whatever reason. Then it comes down to choice. Red or blue pill. I can still geek or moan at the other 3 or 4 pressers. As for crowd reactions, I love em to death but thats why God created youtube channels. Some are awesome while others are cringeworthy.

well no matter how many people watch it it still does make them look small compared to their competition.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:45:59 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Does it really, though? Maybe in the short term, but a month out people are going to put a lot more stock in what was shown than in how they showed it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I've made no secret on the show that I've been battling with depression for years.

I didn't know that but I sympathize for anyone dealing with it. It's why I always try not to take things too seriously on these forums. One doesn't know the situation another user may be in or what they are really like. One's real life persona can be quite different from their online.

So yes, I'm very protective of our show: the smallest irritations vex me, and I've spent years trying to improve both the quality of the final product as well as my own input in it. It's not right or fair that I take my frustrations about it out on you, and I'm sorry for that.

Right on. I should clarify that when I say I'm not listening to the show, it isn't because of any defect in quality or content. I honestly don't know what it is like but that's because I don't listen to any podcasts from anybody. The closest I've come is The Ricky Gervais Show which added animations for their podcasts to make it a TV series and some Radio Trivia in the early days of this site's podcasting adventures but I've since stopped. Podcasts are just not of interest to me but I have nothing against those who listen to or make them.

When you made the remarks of disliking Iwata speaking and then mentioned contacting you about the podcast for issues with anyone's speaking voice on it, I seized on it because it was a poor argument. The intent was to show that you were now Iwata and I was Broodwars. My complaining about your speaking voice was not a complaint you were going to take seriously or cause you to stop participating in the podcast. Likewise, Iwata is not going to take your complaint seriously nor is he going to stop participating or being active in Nintendo news unless it does seem to be a negative to marketing and the company. That's why I thought it was such a terrible point to use or bring up and since you brought up your podcast, I thought I'd flip the situation around.

I still have many, many issues with Nintendo and we're not going to see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, but I'm going to try not to take my own real-world issues out on the forums like that again. Hopefully, we can keep the discussion rolling. Now please, don't make a big deal about this.

I want to respect your wishes and not make a big deal out of this and so am trying to be succinct here. I just want to add that I get not everyone on this site sees eye-to-eye on things. That's life and its expected. However, the reason you get more grief about it than other users, I believe, is your tone and word choice. I won't get into specifics to keep things brief. I just think it would help because if people aren't always arguing with you on the posts you make, it will probably make it easier to keep real-life frustrations separate from your posts as you won't have to deal with another source of frustration in defending your comments.

Finally, to your credit, much respect points for addressing the "controversy" and issuing an apology about the situation. Some of the other, (I'll say negatively viewed), posters now and in the past have a terrible habit of not admitting or ignoring if they goofed. At first, when you just posted again on topic, I thought you might be doing the same thing but then you addressed it. Good on you. I didn't think you'd want a negative image for your podcast which is why I took a moment to talk seriously about that. If you thoughtI was attacking your podcast, that wasn't my intent either. I was just trying to make a parallel argument with it and you and the topic on hand since you had brought it up. I apologize myself if you took it another way.

But I'll probably still annoy you again in the future if you post something I think is pretty dumb. Just sayin' ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:59:51 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Back to topic, I do think it would be a step backwards if Nintendo were to have the normal E3 Press Conference again. I'd say it is actually a good example of Nintendo innovation. I think it is the right step and a genius way of controlling the message.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Back to topic, I do think it would be a step backwards if Nintendo were to have the normal E3 Press Conference again. I'd say it is actually a good example of Nintendo innovation. I think it is the right step and a genius way of controlling the message.
I agree. This is one of those weird occasions where Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve for a change. The E3 Digital Event and Treehouse Live are so much better for people viewing at home.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Khush hit the nail on the head, this is all about Nintendo controlling the message. They get to have a one-way show that ensures what they show is under the best possible condition. As Neal pointed out when we were discussing this on Twitter, they don't want a repeat of the E3 press conference where the Skyward Sword demo failed massively onstage. This ensures that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
It's way easier to control a recorded message than it is to control a live press conference where anything could go wrong, especially with how big the presentations have become.