Author Topic: Another Wii U games thread.  (Read 8842 times)

Another Wii U games thread.
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Alright so finding lists of games on Wii U is easy, how about this, does anyone who has a Wii U recommend any games that are available on other consoles that the Wii U version is still worth owning either in place of or in companion to those versions?

I know people cite Rayman Legends as having sold more on Wii U but it is on PS4 so my question is would it be better to get on PS4 or Wii U? Are there games that the Wii U versions is literally good enough or as good as the PS4 version or Ps3 version or is it always just skip multiplats on Wii U?

I am curious because frankly I have gotten all Wii U native games I plan on until Splatoon gets released all I can do now is go back and catch up on Wii games I missed, which is fine but I still want more Wii U software to sort of justify owning this thing.

In other words are they games on Wii U that are on other consoles but the Wii U version is still worth owning or are there games that the Wii U versions is not any better or worse than PS3/PS4 version or any games where the Wii U version is actually the better version?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:17:48 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Another Wii U games thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
In my opinion:

Bayonetta
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Rayman Legends

However, some will argue that the improvements aren't significant enough or (with Rayman) even that other platforms are better because they use standard dual analog controls.  So your mileage may vary...

Is Batman Arkham City best on Wii U?  I seem to recall some unfavorable performance comparisons but am not really sure.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
The developers of Need for Speed Most Wanted said the Wii U version was the best, and had very nice things to say about the system. Then EA shut them down.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
Unfortunately the lack of DLC means Most Wanted U is not the best version. That would be PC version, which looks as good as the Wii U version, and includes every bit of DLC.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
In my opinion:

Bayonetta
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Rayman Legends

However, some will argue that the improvements aren't significant enough or (with Rayman) even that other platforms are better because they use standard dual analog controls.  So your mileage may vary...

Is Batman Arkham City best on Wii U?  I seem to recall some unfavorable performance comparisons but am not really sure.

Bayonetta I already have on PS3 it would have to be mind blowing good to get buy that game again, which I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.

When you say Rayman Legends are you saying Wii U is better than PS4 version or just better than the PS3 version? If its better than PS3 but not Ps4 I will just get the PS4 version.  What makes it better on Wii U then?

I guess the answer is probably no so looks like I will stick to getting all multiplats on Playstation for now. I don't game on PC much at all I am using a laptop currently and its not gaming worthy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »
Rayman Legends is the same game on each console. Only the controls differ in the Murphy levels.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:09:24 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
Insanolord always raves about the FIFA games on the Wii U. I got the 2013 edition but have not gotten around to playing it yet.

Lego games are pretty much equal at this point so that would be up to your preferred controller I suppose.

The COD games may be gimped from a content standpoint, but they graphically look great and the inclusion of pointer controls make them the #1 version for me. I have BLOPS2 and I'll eventually pick up Ghosts as well.

For digital games there is the Wii U version of Steamworld Dig. Off screen play, HD, and the hidden Nintendo themed area make it the best version of that game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:08:32 PM »
There's only one FIFA game on Wii U, but it is great. Madden as well. They both make excellent use of the GamePad functionality, and I wish they'd kept doing them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
I am on the fence about getting the Madden title. I'll probably bite eventually just because I should have at least one for when there are parties. They could go to one every other year like I think COD should be doing. Publishers wouldn't like it but gamers would!
My Game Collection

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
I'll second the Human Revolution pick. Hacking feels much more intuitive and enjoyable on the Gamepad, and though not much else is changed, it's a fine game in its own right.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
I do already have Steamworld Dig, in fact there aren't any more digital games for me to purchase I already have all the ones I would want.

Looks like LEGO games are it then and since I don't care much for those I will pass. Any COD games I get will be PS4 same with Sports games anything mainstream like that. I was just hoping there might be one or two more hidden gems I wasn't aware of.

What if we try this, I post everything I currently have for Wii/Wii u and others do the same and maybe post comments what makes that version stand out?

Here is everything I have currently on Wii U.

Digital:
Captain Toad
DKC:TP
Pikmin 3
Dr. Luigi
NES REMIX
NES REMIX 2
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Darksiders 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Art Academy
Metroid Prime Trilogy- Wii
Punch-Out- Wii
D&D Chronicles of Mystara
Shovel Knight
Mighty Switch Force
Mighty Switch Force 2
Steam World Dig
Trine 2
Alphadia Genesis
Child of Light
UnEpic
Ice Cream Surfer
Swords & Soldiers
Abyss
Arnillo
Spikey Walls

Disc:
Avengers Assemble
Hyrule Warriors
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
New Super Mario Bros U
New Super Luigi U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3-D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Wonderful 101

Wii Disc games

Super Mario Galaxy
Alien Syndrome
Smash Bros Brawl

That is all I have currently. I am waiting for Mario party 10 and Spaltoon that is about it that is coming up and I will probably get Sonic Lost Worlds at some point and maybe Pac-man Ghostly Adventures 2 just for the hell of it.

I hear a lot of people mention Lego games, I did kind of like Lego Star Wars on Game Cube but honestly I was never much of a fan of those games. Is that really it? Is there a Tetris or Sim City that I am not aware of I think Wii U would be perfect choice for a Sim City game.

All things being equal if a game is on PS4 and Wii U the only way I would pick Wii U over PS4 is if there was something really special added and NOTHING missing, otherwise I will stick to PS4 because I do prefer the PS controller to the GamePad.

I will get Rayman on Ps4 I read other mixed reviews but it sounds like the touchpad is the only thing special and I can do without that.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »
From what I can tell, Splinter Cell: Blacklist is better on Wii U do to GamePad functionality.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:15 AM »
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has exclusive costumes and modes, not available in any other port and has free online (though i have to assume it's much less populated than PS3)

Scribblenauts Unlimited is the superior version between Wii U and PC ports.

I enjoyed AC IV just fine on Wii U, so consider it if you can find it on the cheap (cheaper than on Steam).

Also you have no business buying so many games that you don't have time to play as a working adult.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:21:59 AM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:43 AM »
Let the man have his games. I think most of us have shamefully large backlogs.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Unfortunately the lack of DLC means Most Wanted U is not the best version. That would be PC version, which looks as good as the Wii U version, and includes every bit of DLC.

Since the question was about consoles, I'm not counting PC versions. Wii U release is the best console version in my opinion.

Once you start including PC gaming into the comparison, very few games released on consoles are better unless you value the convenience and lower cost of a console versus gaming PC - so I tend not to compare them anyway.

Rayman Legends is the same game on each console. Only the controls differ in the Murphy levels.

The controls are what make me consider it to be better. Wii U is what it was designed for. Some people prefer the gimped controls where you don't do Murphy levels the same, and that's ok... but I think they are pretty awesome.

There's only one FIFA game on Wii U, but it is great. Madden as well. They both make excellent use of the GamePad functionality, and I wish they'd kept doing them.

Thought about listing both, but haven't played them personally so would have been relying on opinions of others to back up their inclusion. 

Also, without being up to date versions and having full online features (ie: large and active community of players) didn't feel that I could - even though gamepad features sound great.

Let the man have his games. I think most of us have shamefully large backlogs.

It's huge... and I'm not ashamed.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »
It's huge... and I'm not ashamed.
("That's what she said" was too obvious.)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I considered it a great accomplishment to have a constant backlog on Wii U.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
I think it is a great display of gaming ambition to want to play so many titles rather than think small and only by a few select titles.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »
**** all that Wii U is going to be Saturn rare in ten years these shits are investments

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
**** all that Wii U is going to be Saturn rare in ten years these shits are investments
Then you need to buy Sonic Boom 10 times over because of it's historical value.

Museums of the future will give you a fortune for such treasures, espcially if sealed.

Then you i do wonder why do you give a a damn about port quality because obviously you don't really want to play this ****.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »

Museums of the future will give you a fortune for such treasures, espcially if sealed.

Oh man! So glad I bought 400,000 copies. I'm sitting on a gold mine! I'm rich, I tells ya, RICH! Woooooooo!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
The developers of Need for Speed Most Wanted said the Wii U version was the best, and had very nice things to say about the system. Then EA shut them down.

Can't agree with this technical-wise. The game hard freezes A LOT. Content-wise, I agree.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

Oh man! So glad I bought 400,000 copies. I'm sitting on a gold mine! I'm rich, I tells ya, RICH! Woooooooo!

Stop buying up the stock to artificially inflate the demand! First amiibo and now the AAA title Sonic Boom! I couldn't find a copy in stores this weekend. Now what will I tell the adoring fans who asked me to buy the game for them?
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:01 PM »
Tell them you can get them a copy for $100.00 each because you know a guy.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
I'll tell them it is $120 so I can get a finder's fee out of the deal. I'll be able to pay for college!
My Game Collection