Author Topic: The Wii U as a stepping stone.  (Read 22038 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The Wii U as a stepping stone.
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
I just started playing Sunshine again recently, and oh my god you aren't kidding about how long that intro was. It's ridiculous.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 12:16:43 AM »
the wii u is a stepping stone in the way that it is currently turning a profit and is a bridge between the last gap between the time when graphics wont matter.

if i can get a console from nintendo that is marginally better than ps4 for under $300 2-3 years from now then I'll be pretty good.

however, they had better damn well be ready when the next generation comes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »
Hahaha tally another console thread that dissolves into a GC conversation. Face it. You fuckers loved that stupid little box
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »
Yes, the intro is ridiculous, and the voice acting is terrible.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 09:48:52 PM »
Hahaha tally another console thread that dissolves into a GC conversation. Face it. You fuckers loved that stupid little box

I did love the Game Cube it was awesome. I hated the Wii though so that makes up for it right?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »
The GameCube years weren't the easiest and I personally think Nintendo's 1st party flagship titles largely underwhelmed, but that console quite possibly has more of my favorite all-time titles than any other console (though the SNES still has my absolute favorite game). It's definitely a console, though, that was saved by 3rd parties & Nintendo-published 3rd party titles.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
A lot of people use the Wii U as a stepping stone on their way to the PS4/Xbone section at Best Buy.

[Instant Rim Shot]
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
I guess coming off N64 Game Cube looked like it was really Nintendo making an effort again, but to be totally honest Game Boy Player really helped push me over the edge to getting one. I think a lot of it was just it was the last time you felt like Nintendo had a chance even though they really didn't. By the end of the generation it was tiring rooting for Nintendo and when Wii came along and showed us that they as a company were willing to turn their backs on the core gamers that made their empire in the first place to chase after the casuals it was hard to justify supporting them. If not for the retro goodness Wii would have totally and completely sucked. The retro stuff makes it just really suck.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 02:24:01 AM »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 03:05:49 AM »
A lot of people use the Wii U as a stepping stone on their way to the PS4/Xbone section at Best Buy.

[Instant Rim Shot]

Stepping stone? More like "doorstop" or "paperweight".  Right now, mine's my virtual GameCube machine while I'm dealing with a bit of gaming burnout.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:06 AM »
The Gamecube can go **** itself.

Now the Wii - that's a system worth memorializing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »
Jebus, broodwars, Brandogg used "stepping stone" because of the thread title. Replacing "stepping stone" with "doorstop" or "paperweight" doesn't make sense. "A lot of people use the Wii U as a [doorstop/paperweight] on their way to the PS4/Xbone section at Best Buy."

How did you... Ugh, never mind. I'll just go.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:39 AM »

[Instant Rim Shot]

Stepping stone? More like "doorstop" or "paperweight". M I RITE?

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »

When have I ever said I didn't like the GameCube. I'll always love the GameCube. I've loved it's shape and design. It's awesome controllers and all the many games it can play. It is an excellent device with most franchises having one of my favorite games in their series on it. Cube cube cube cube cube cube cube. You are the best!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »

When have I ever said I didn't like the GameCube. I'll always love the GameCube. I've loved it's shape and design. It's awesome controllers and all the many games it can play. It is an excellent device with most franchises having one of my favorite games in their series on it. Cube cube cube cube cube cube cube. You are the best!

Considering many of us came here when the site was still called planet GameCube is it surprise its most of our favorite console?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »
Prior to the Gamecube's release I was very optimistic about Nintendo making a comeback.  I thought at the time that the N64's sole problem was using cartridges and if Nintendo had not made that one crucial mistake they would have been fine.  So I assumed they learned from that and things would bounce back to normal with the Cube.  Remember at this point the idea of Nintendo having lousy third party support had been a one-off anomaly.  The NES and SNES seemed a more accurate representation of what Nintendo really was like.  So Nintendo had flubbed one gen and then things would return to "normal", right?  Of course I was feeling like this before the Dreamcast had been discontinued so I still saw Sega and Nintendo as the status quo.

I got less and less confident as the launch approached.  There wasn't much third party presence at E3 2001 for the Cube and Luigi's Mansion didn't seem like a good flagship launch title to me (most of us had assumed a sequel to Super Mario 64 would be the flagship title) and they turned Zelda into a cartoon.  None of that was encouraging.  By the time we had the Pac-Man Vs. E3 where Nintendo acted like that was a valid substitute for online gaming I knew it was all over.  The Gamecube years were when I found out what Nintendo was really like.  I haven't had any confidence in their abilities as console makers since.

The Cube could have at the very least beat the **** out of the Xbox if people with some idea of what they're doing were calling the shots.  It was easily capable of more.  The Wii U on the other hand is so far off what a successful console would be like that I pretty much would have done everything different if it were up to me.  But the Cube?  Just don't do a lot of the obviously stupid **** and it would probably have made a world of difference while still being essentially the same product.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:58 PM »
- a "hits" discounted line that was $30 when everyone else had $20
Not that this really matters, but the only Player's Choice game on the GameCube that was $29.99 was SSBMelee. The other games in the line were indeed $19.99. You might be getting this confused with the N64, where its Player's Choice lineup was $39.99 to the PlayStation's $19.99 Greatest Hits.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 07:59:53 PM »
Not that this really matters, but the only Player's Choice game on the GameCube that was $29.99 was SSBMelee. The other games in the line were indeed $19.99. You might be getting this confused with the N64, where its Player's Choice lineup was $39.99 to the PlayStation's $19.99 Greatest Hits.

I recall SSB being more money but I thought it was even more than the others, like the standard was $30 and SSB was even higher.

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2015, 12:29:03 AM »

I recall SSB being more money but I thought it was even more than the others, like the standard was $30 and SSB was even higher.

No I am sure Mop it Up is right because I mostly bought Player's Choice games and I never paid more than $20 for any GC game except a handful, Melee was higher because it was the best selling game on the console.