Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 454815 times)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #1475 on: December 30, 2014, 01:41:42 AM »
Thinking of getting one too. My nunchuck/remote skills from Brawl don't seem to cut it anymore so I've been experimenting with the other options. I wish they gave us the option to use the D-pad for something other than Taunt with the Classic Pro. I've never been fond of using the joystick in 2D games.

This is kinda a hilarious post inasmuch that Super Smash Bros. is a game that was designed to innovate with what analogue control could do for a game. have you ever played with Wii Remote on it's side? do you have fun doing smash attacks by hitting two buttons with an attack directions and having to double tap to dash?

not to mention that it becomes impossible to vector in the direction you want if you only have 8 input directions. or do the trick where characters can angle their smash attacks. and it kinda ruins the premise of tap jump. and you can't angle your shield or are stuck with rolls/dodges that you have to double tap for.

I would not wish Smash bros. with a digital input against my worst enemy.

My nephew actually prefers the Wii remote sideways. If it had a better button layout, I'd probably use it too. Not sure if he changes the buttons, I just know he apparently never blocks so he can better focus on the 1 & 2 buttons for attacking...

I don't vector. Never cared enough to bother with little tricks like that since I can play just fine without trying to break the game.

If the game was made well I should be able to do anything on every available controller the game allows me to use much like how in I can perform a Hadoken in a Street Fighter game with either a D-pad or analog yet I can consistently do it correctly with the D-pad which is why I prefer it. The D-pad is just my personal preference for a 2D game especially a fighter. Thus if the classic pro had d-pad movement & I ever wanted to try vectoring, I could probably do it just fine.

Meanwhile with Game Cube controls, CCP, & Wii U tablet, I'll randomly move down while trying to move forward with the exception of the nunchuck.
Mission...complete?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: December 30, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
Thinking of getting one too. My nunchuck/remote skills from Brawl don't seem to cut it anymore so I've been experimenting with the other options. I wish they gave us the option to use the D-pad for something other than Taunt with the Classic Pro. I've never been fond of using the joystick in 2D games.

This is kinda a hilarious post inasmuch that Super Smash Bros. is a game that was designed to innovate with what analogue control could do for a game. have you ever played with Wii Remote on it's side? do you have fun doing smash attacks by hitting two buttons with an attack directions and having to double tap to dash?

not to mention that it becomes impossible to vector in the direction you want if you only have 8 input directions. or do the trick where characters can angle their smash attacks. and it kinda ruins the premise of tap jump. and you can't angle your shield or are stuck with rolls/dodges that you have to double tap for.

I would not wish Smash bros. with a digital input against my worst enemy.

My nephew actually prefers the Wii remote sideways. If it had a better button layout, I'd probably use it too. Not sure if he changes the buttons, I just know he apparently never blocks so he can better focus on the 1 & 2 buttons for attacking...

I don't vector. Never cared enough to bother with little tricks like that since I can play just fine without trying to break the game.

If the game was made well I should be able to do anything on every available controller the game allows me to use much like how in I can perform a Hadoken in a Street Fighter game with either a D-pad or analog yet I can consistently do it correctly with the D-pad which is why I prefer it. The D-pad is just my personal preference for a 2D game especially a fighter. Thus if the classic pro had d-pad movement & I ever wanted to try vectoring, I could probably do it just fine.

Meanwhile with Game Cube controls, CCP, & Wii U tablet, I'll randomly move down while trying to move forward with the exception of the nunchuck.

and I like having nice digital input as well for games that play more rigidly and require that sort of hard input. at the same time, Street Fighter is build for very rigid and digital movement, such as walks and dashes always being the same space, jumps always having the same arc unless you're playing a game with air dashes, and attacks always manipulate your opponent in the same way.

in smash bros, your movement options are vast. merely hitting somebody with the same attack at the same percentage with the same level of stale on your move could produce different results because of the analogue directions you and your opponent hold during that attack. For example, Rosalina's forward Smash can be tilted up or down. the upwards animation actually works as a nice anti-air and should send my opponent out at an upward angle and so I prepare to turn around, jump and toss out a back air to follow through since he'll be high up, but my opponent Smash DI's down and then fast falls during his recovery to juke my attempt to keep him off stage.

I get where your desire comes from though, GK. I have had pLENTY of games where that's a real problem, especially on Xbox 360 where the d-pad is also complete crap.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:01 AM »
Didn't think of it that way before. Something to consider for sure. I'll probably end up trying the pro controller eventually. I've noticed that the timing of my grabs dramatically improve with the WiiU pad. Same layout at a more convenient size might do the trick with some more practice. Maybe by then I'll stop crouching when I try to run at someone.
Mission...complete?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: December 31, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
I've noticed that the timing of my grabs dramatically improve with the WiiU pad.

Is that because the gamepad is faster than most/all TVs?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: December 31, 2014, 11:21:22 PM »

Is that because the gamepad is faster than most/all TVs?

Nah, not even using the small screen. Think it's just because that finger rests close to the L button. Compared to  hitting A + B on the remote/nunchuck & trying to not hit the R button while trying to press Z on the GC controller.
Mission...complete?

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
The Super Smash Bros. CD Soundtrack Tracklist

"Red" CD
1. Menu (Original)
2. How to Play (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
3. Ground Theme / Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)
4. Super Mario 3D Land Theme / Beach Theme (Super Mario 3D Land)
5. Try, Try Again (Mario and Luigi: Dream Team)
6. Kongo Jungle (Donkey Kong Country)
7. Stickerbush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2)
8. Gerudo Valley (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
9. Full Steam Ahead (The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks)
10. Brinstar (Metroid)
11. Obstacle Course (Spring / Summer) (Yoshi's Island)
12. Green Greens Ver. 2 (Kirby's Dreamland)
13. Corneria (Star Fox)
14. Star Wolf / Sector Z (Star Fox 64)
15. "Battle!" (Trainer Battle) (Pokemon X and Y)
16. N's Castle Medley (Pokemon Black and White)
17. Mute City Ver. 3 (F-Zero)
18. Id (Purpose) (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
19. Wrath of the Reset Bomb (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
20. Dark Pit's Theme (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
21. Ashley's Song (WarioWare: Touched!)
22. Tortimer Island Medley (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
23. Kapp'n's Song (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
24. Jogging / Countdown (Punch-Out!!)
25. Gaur Plain (Xenoblade)
26. You Will Know Our Names (Xenoblade)
27. Balloon Fight Medley (Balloon Fight)
28. Bath Time Theme (Vocal Mix) (Nintendogs)
29. Save the World, Heroes! (Find Mii II)
30. Tomodachi Life (Tomodachi Life)
31. Pac-Man (Club Mix) (Pac-Man)
32. Tetris: Type A (Tetris)
33. Trophy Rush (Original)
34. Multi-Man Smash (Original)
35. Credits (Original)
36. Online Practice Stage (Original)
"Blue" CD
1. Battlefield (Original)
2. Super Mario Bros. Medley (Super Mario Bros.)
3. Athletic Theme / Ground Theme (New Super Mario Bros. 2)
4. Egg Planet (Super Mario Galaxy)
5. Circuit (Mario Kart 7)
6. Gear Getaway (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Vocal) (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
8. Ballad of the Goddess / Ghirahim's Theme (Zelda: Skyward Sword)
9. Main Theme / Underworld Theme (The Legend of Zelda)
10. Ocarina of Time Medley (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
11. Temple Theme (Zelda II)
12. Title (Metroid)
13. Ending (Yoshi's Story)
14. The Great Cave Offensive (Kirby Super Star)
15. The Legendary Air Ride Machine (Kirby Air Ride)
16. Theme from Area 6 / Missile Slipstream (Star Fox 64 / Command)
17. Battle! (Team Flare) (Pokemon X and Y)
18. Battle! (Champion) / Champion Cynthia (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
19. Route 10 (Pokemon Black and White)
20. Fight 1 (Fire Emblem Gaiden)
21. Destroyed Skyworld (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
22. Stage Select (Pikmin 2)
23. Xenoblade Chronicles Medley (Xenoblade Chronicles)
24. Plaza / Title (Animal Crossing: City Folk / Animal Crossing: Wild World)
25. Tour (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
26. Duck Hunt Medley (Duck Hunt)
27. Light Plane (Vocal Mix) (Pilotwings)
28. The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley (The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley)
29. Mii Plaza (Mii Channel)
30. Mario Paint Medley (Mario Paint)
31. Pac-Man's Park / Block Town (Pac-Mania)
32. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
33. Master Hand
34. Credits (Smash Bros.): Ver. 2 (Super Smash Bros.)
35. Menu 2 (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
36. Results Display Screen (Super Smash Bros.)
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 14, 2015, 05:25:05 PM »
Good stuff. I actually created a Club Nintendo account for this CD and the MewTwo bonus. You did it Nintendo. And the surveys weren't that long to fill out either.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 15, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
On the one hand it's a free CD so I can't complain much, but still, where's the Mega Man music?  Did Sakurai allow Capcom to choose the track list for these CD's or what?  The Mega Man songs had some of the best remixes in the game and yet not a single one is on the CD and yet Pac-Man get 3 songs.  Same thing with not a single Mother song either even though it had 3 amazing remixes yet F-Zero which just had 1 song which was just another remix of Mute City gets that song thrown in.

Oh well, I already downloaded the games soundtrack so I'll just make a third CD with all my favorite tracks not on these 2 disc.  Actually considering all the stuff that's missing I can easily make a 4th as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 14, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
Breaking rumor!

Alleged images and footage of Rayman and Mewtwo on the character select screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q27o-0vyMM

This is pointing toward legit, which I find kind of lame.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 14, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
Ehh, I'll take more characters even if Rayman wouldn't be my first choice especially with Ubisoft ditching Wii U. I'd still like to see Fire Emblem Roy (AKA Real Roy) as well as the Brawl cut characters, namely Ice Climbers and Snake. Won't happen, but you know, a girl can dream.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: February 14, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »
Since we are getting Mewtwo back I don't see why they wouldn't bring back some of the others, especially someone who is a modified clone like Roy, Lucas, or Wolf. I'd buy a clone bundle as DLC just to add more fighters to the game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »
More characters, more stages is pretty much all I care about. This would be an easy season pass for me. Super Smash Bros. is pretty much the only game I play regularly (as in once every few days). I believe the Wii U version is the last game I bought.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 14, 2015, 11:29:02 PM »
With a new Star Fox coming out this year, Wolf is pretty likely to return.  Lucas I could see since the Mother series is still pretty popular among the hardcore Nintendo fans in Japan and a lot of top Nintendo execs including Sakurai seem to have a good relationship with Itoi.

For stages, I wouldn't be surprised if we get stage packs based on the other games.  Like an N64 pack with several N64 stages, a Melee pack with Melee stages, Brawl with Brawl stages and then after all those they'll release a 3DS pack where we can play some of the 3DS stages on the Wii U version.  Yeah I'm sure they'll be a pack with brand new stages as well but for a game like this, I'd expect the majority will be previous stages since it's much cheaper to produce and most of the hardcore Smash Bros fans who'll be buying the DLC will be more excited for many of these older stages then newer ones anyway, especially for the N64 and Melee stages.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 15, 2015, 01:50:04 AM »
Think I'd pay DLC to have 75m removed from the game.
Mission...complete?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 15, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
I love 75m. It's certainly not something I'd want to play in a tournament, but it's beautiful chaos, especially with 8 players.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
I think I dislike it so much mostly because I seem to always end up on it now that the online stage selection is randomized. There's been times where I've ended up there in back to back matches. Well that & I'm more likely to get KOed due to Donkey Kong & that bouncing thing than any of my opponents.

If I could bring back an older stage... the Frigate from Brawl.
Mission...complete?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 16, 2015, 01:56:33 AM »
The worst thing about this rumor is that I was waiting for today to point out that no one had posted anything in this thread for a month and maybe it was time to unsticky it but it instead caused some posting to happen one day before I could make this post. No good things come to those who wait.  >:(
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »
A quick heads up, Gamestop is now taking pre-orders for Gamecube Controller Adapters.

EDIT: Of course, this being Gamestop, they went ahead and bundled it with a GC controller.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 18, 2015, 11:02:08 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I needed a new GC controller anyways. I have 4 wavebirds but some are on loan to friends and I do hope to build up to 16 controllers + 4 Gamecubes for Double Dash lan play so no harm grabbing the controller as well.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 18, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »
They were offering pre-orders for the adapter by itself, but I think they may have filled the quota already. The release date on its page says May 1st which is pretty far away... I wonder why stock won't be ready sooner?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »
Nintendo's factory partners are busy making more limited edition amiibos to drive the masses wild to bother with a limited run of another niche item that scalpers will buy in bulk and sell at exorbitant prices.
My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1496 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
I think my favorite new stages in the game are Jungle Hijinks, Mario Circuit, Coliseum, Dr. Wily's Castle (yeah, even with the Yellow Devil), Pilot Wings, Wuhu Island, Mario Galaxy, Boxing Ring, and Mushroom Kingdom U.

I need to get back to this game, as it was my game of the year last year.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 21, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
Some good humor with some of the clapping there. Samus is only the beginning!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1499 on: February 23, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Got an email from Nintendo that my Smash CD has shipped.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)