Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 110222 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
I don't know man, I think Vickie legitimately draws heel heat. I like the way that they're using Orton right now, how he basically doesn't acknowledge that he's a "face" now, though he does do the arm-spread pose on top of the ropes again. I think the Edge/Orton feud will go pretty far, especially if one of them becomes champion in the midst of it.

Now that TNA is back to Thursday Nights, I feel no obligation to watch it anymore. It's a lot like WCW in the 90's...roster-wise, and WCW in it's deathbed...writing-wise. I do love watching Jay Lethal do impression's though, his Flair is even better than his Savage.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 12:53:43 PM »
Did you see the online video TNA posted where Jay Lethal was himself talking about getting to do the Flair impersonation? Both Ric Flair and Eric Bischoff have praised Lethal's performance.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
Lethal needs another push. They dropped the ball with him after that great Lethal-Angle match. It doesn't have to be a WHC push, but let the guy on the mic once in a while.

Then again, that seems to be TNAs main problem right now, too many old guys and young guys take the backseat.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
so TNA is officially WCW?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
Basically, yeah. Right down to them using cheap knock-off versions of copyrighted music (for example, Hulk Hogan's music is a modified version of the nWo theme, The Band's theme is a modified version of the nWo Wolfpac theme, etc.)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 07:30:24 PM »
so they have knock off versions of knock off versions of music?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
Yeah, although it's not as bad as it used to be since they do create some themselves. I also like Jay Lethal's theme (it's basically Randy Savage's "Pomp and Circumstance" theme with a hip-hop remix).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
I stopped avidly watching wrestling some 7-8 years ago. Occasionally, I'll see what's up on Raw or if I hear through the grapevine that something cool is going to happen. The last full episode of Raw I watched was when Bret Hart came back in like January. That was awful. Then, his "match" with Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania was awful because it wasn't a match and Hart is no where close to being in wrestling shape though we can all blame Goldberg for that one.

There was only one time I tuned into Raw since like 2003 where I was legitimately impressed. It was a match between Shawn Michaels and Shelton Benjamin. Usually, a match of that caliber is reserved for PPVs. HBK got his step back and it was all around a very entertaining match.

The only wrestler I still care for is Chris Jericho and even then, he doesn't even do or rarely ever does a lot of his cooler moves. And when the Liontamer/Walls of Jericho turned into a regular Boston Crab.... ugh, fail.... I know why it changed and I can't blame the WWE, but it's still a fail....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:05:15 PM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
I was just reading about the concussions from Goldberg.

Still, Bret Hart had a stroke. Its amazing he can wrestle at all.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:48:56 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »
I still blame Goldberg for that ridiculous kick to the head that ended Hart's wrestling career.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2010, 11:02:15 PM »
yeah, im sure the mule kick didn't help his future stroke, it was caused when he fell off his bike. The repeated concussions are not good.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »
But the kick to the head essentially ended Bret's career. The HBK vs Benjamin match was probably the best match in RAW history, especially the sweet chin music at the end. It was simply perfect, and you can tell he actually kicked the **** out of Shelton. Also, Y2J does sometimes do the "real" Walls of Jericho, usually only on PPV though, from what I've seen.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »
TNA iMPACT just ended and man. They had the sickest main event on paper, A.J. Styles vs RVD vs Jeff Hardy. They started the match 30 minutes before 11pm, so they had plenty of time. What happens? The match was either very sloppy or they had some real bad editing.

Hall and Nash tag champions (and I'm a huge fan)? They can't even walk!

I give the show, overal a 7/10, sice besides those two things, everything else was ok. Way better than last weeks train wreck of a show.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »
yeah Hall looks like he got attacked by a Raging Bull

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
As much as I used to be a fan of Scott Hall, that was a terrible decision by TNA. You can tell all the damage that Hall's drug and alcohol problems have done to him. Hall should not be holding any title in 2010.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
well he is over 50, one could say its drugs and alcohol, but age is a factor too. He is over the hill. Kevin Nash is old too.

apparently Hall and Nash's sons are huge. Nash's kid is 6'3 at age 12 or something, and Hall's kid is already like 6'7. I was listening to a shoot interview with Nash and he was telling his son that if him and Hall's kid got together and walked into Vince's office asking for jobs they'd be making 7 figures within 4 years.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:34:22 PM by ThePerm »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »
Hall has been terrible for years though, even his best friends were saying they were concerned about him because of his problems. Sting is about the same age but can put on much better matches, Ricky Steamboat was 56 when he had a great match against Chris Jericho at Backlash 2009. Getting older may just make the problems even worse though.

I will give TNA credit though for now using his problems in storylines. I remember how much flak WCW got when they took Hall's real life alcohol problem and started making his character have problems too. They had his character start bringing alcohol to the ring with him and drinking it, being drunk during matches, and throwing up from drinking too much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »
Terry Funk can work a better match than Scott Hall and he's like 97 and has no kneecaps.....

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
Heres is tonights TNA iMPACT! preview.

- This Thursday night, witness the aftermath of the "Sacrifice" Pay-Per-View event!

- In huge news, Olympic Gold Medalist and multi-time World Heavyweight Champion Kurt Angle will make his return to TNA "iMPACT!" this week! Will Angle begin his hunt to reclaim the TNA World Heavyweight Title?

- Reigning TNA World Heavyweight Champion Rob Van Dam will appear! RVD retained the gold on Sunday night against AJ Styles - what's next for the champ?

- What will Hulk Hogan have to say about Sting's brutal attack on Jeff Jarrett at the Pay-Per-View? Can Hogan put a stop to Sting's path of destruction in TNA?

- The broadcast will feature a major update on the TNA Top Contenders Ranking System! Who will be the next Superstar to get a shot at Rob Van Dam and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship?

- What does Abyss have planned for Desmond Wolfe and Chelsea on Thursday night? At Sacrifice, Abyss beat Wolfe in the "Chelsea vs. Ring" match, and gains control of Wolfe's valet for 30 days!

- What will be the fallout from the Jay Lethal/Ric Flair brawl on Sunday night at the Pay-Per-View? Tune in Thursday and find out!

- Is war about to erupt between Team 3D and Ink Inc after what happened at Sacrifice? Find out on Thursday!

All this and much more on Thursday night at 9/8c on SpikeTV - including news on the upcoming "Slammiversary" Pay-Per-View!

Ok, so tonight Kurt Angle returns!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »
I have been a long time fan of Angle, but I worry about his health and safety. He has a long history of neck injuries, but he continues to do things like moonsaults off the top of steel cages.

Also, I was SO happy to see Daniel Bryan beat the crap out of Michael Cole on NXT.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
Great opening segment for iMPACT! I must admit though, I don't think Sting works as a heel. No one boos him!

Danielson's promo on NXT was perfect. For a minute there, I thought he broke kayfabe and was actually shooting. Striker was like taping his shoulder, like thinking "Tone it down or you'll get fired!" Awesome promo.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
I think part of the reason is that they waited 3 months to bother explaining why he is supposed to be a heel.

I like worked shoots. I knew he wasn't a shoot because NXT was taped earlier that night and WWE would not have aired it (or they would have cut off his mic while talking). It's interesting when they do these promos that reflect what fans are thinking and what the person doing the promo may really think. It's like when Joey Styles "quit" Raw to join the ECW brand, he gave a firery promo about how he hated being forced to tell stories during a match rather than call the moves, having to say "sports entertainer" rather than "wrestler", etc. Just about everything Bryan said was true, from WWE preferring to push wrestlers they created to Vince McMahon telling the commentators what they say, not to mention the fact that most fans do hate Cole because he is a douchebag and is the definition of a tool.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
iMPACT! has been good so far.

Yeah, I remember that promo (I think) and it was good too.

Hardy vs Sting, don't know what to expect. Sting has a shoulder injury and to me, Hardy just sucks.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
As old as Nash and Hall are, I'm still impressed by how in-shape Nash is, and the turn-around that Hall has made since returning to TNA. He's lost a ton of weight and isn't afraid of wearing his tights anymore.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »
Of course, some things never change. For example, Hall getting arrested for public intoxication.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.