Community Forums > Movies & TV

Rate the last movie you've seen

<< < (1144/1309) > >>

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: Plugabugz on December 17, 2017, 01:50:43 PM ---EDIT: And it just dawned on me. At the end they used their last ship to lightspeed into the First Order armada. Why didnt they do that with all of the previous ships that they evacuated? The first order would have either stayed on to take the risk of having their own ships destroyed or let them escape. Some actual odds and genuine tension right there.

--- End quote ---

This is a really good point. It makes the scene where they show the guy driving the medical ship dying feel really pointless.  Like, They could've used that at any point.

--- Quote from: UncleBob on December 17, 2017, 03:58:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on December 17, 2017, 12:11:41 AM ---I liked the film but can understand why some might hate it. 

--- Quote from: UncleBob on December 16, 2017, 07:44:09 AM ---
The bad thing is, Poe is still going to be treated like a hero, but had the dude not gone through with his terrible, off the books plan, Finn and Rose wouldn't have ended up captured and 90% of the remaining rebels wouldn't have been killed.  Dude screwed up, big time.

--- End quote ---

It's not his fault the new commander didn't bother to tell him what the real plan was.  I mean, what was the point of not bothering to telling your most important fighter that they had a good plan to escape the First Order.?  Instead they made him think they were just going to wander around aimlessly until they ran out of fuel, and when they finally reveal that they'll put everyone on the escape shuttles, never bother to tell him the First Order can't track them so everyone will be safe.  Instead they just let him think they'll be easy pickings, which is the final straw to cause him to mutiny, which ends up causing the shuttles to actually be easy pickings and the First Order to know the survivors are on the planet. 

Yeah Poe's planned backfired but the leaders of the Resistance were at fault for not even letting him no what the real plan was, especially when Leia finally reveals it too him he's actually impressed and OK with it.  Meaning if they told him it in the first place he wouldn't have done the stupid things he ended up doing.

--- End quote ---

Poe already proved he was a hot headed flyby unwilling to listen to authority - something that decimated the rebel army in both manpower and firepower - and he wasn't even remorseful about it.  Dude should have been thrown in the brig.  No one owes him an explanation for anything.
--- End quote ---

He was influential enough to lead a mutiny.  I think someone owed him an explanation.  It's bad leadership when everyone under you can be easily turned against you.

ThePerm:
As a thesis for the movie "Let the Past Die" is a pretty good thesis. There is barely anything left that can be called Star Wars

Looking at how different directors make these movies, it is kinda interesting to see how they perceived Star Wars. It's also interesting to see how they treat their counterparts characters. This is kind of like a writing project where someone writes a chapter, and then another one writes a chapter, and then the original writer continues with what the other one wrote. As a project that is still interesting.
Obviously, Rian Johnson did not give a **** about most of JJ Abrams Characters or their journeys. His lasting impact on Star Wars is Vulpix, Porgs, and Rose. He cared about Luke Skywalker, and what he did with the character was nice. Finn and Poe were sidelined though.  I think he liked Kylo,  and Rey though. The movie was torturous slow. I think he could have done more with the Finn Rose story. I liked Rose as a character, but she didn't do much. It almost seems like she was inserted in there so Poe and Finn don't ****. I think they should have wrote another draft, or maybe a previous draft was superior and the studio fucked it up

Actually, as a nice NWR project. I want to read what everyone's Fan Fiction for episode VIII would be. It could be a fun project. Who's in?

Evan_B:
As in, what I'd rather see? I could do that.

I saw the movie tonight. I was basking in the afterglow immediately after the film, but the more I sat on the plot developments, the less I found myself enjoying things. Also, screw Porgs. Cheap comedic bits.

oohhboy:
Seeing JJ didn't give a **** about the movies that came before either so Rian Johnson not caring about JJ is only fair. The precedent has already been set. You can **** it up, slap STAR WARS on it for the plebs. The standard is that low.

King of Twitch:
They gave me what I wanted (lots of screen time with Luke) and the one thing I definitely did not want them to do ( ; - ( ), but I'm surprised to hear the anger ^above^. I don't love it or hate it, I just liked it. Even though I shouldn't like it for sticking 5&6 in a blender, I still did. The most surprising parts were the anti-climactic SNLish jokeiness and the burning down of the old. We lost: Luke, his light saber, the medical frigate, that other bulby ship, Akbar, the Jedi tree. And we know Leia is next. Ouch. I'm definitely with ThePerm on wanting to come up with my own alternative fanfic.

+Props for avoiding the obligatory loss of limb, asteroid field, cloud city, betrayal, carbonite, swamp
+Bachelor Luke is everything I hoped it would be
+A row of clone Daisy Ridleys. wawa wewa
+Luke doesn't exactly train Rey
+Reminded me of Helm's Deep
+The movie wraps up nicely for Episode 9: "Dirty Hippies Living on the Falcon"

No one else has complained about these things so I'll list them here:
-Why are they worried about running out of fuel? Without gravity to slow them down, they'll probably keep going but I'm no Bill Nye
-I thought Yoda for sure would blow out Luke's torch before he could use it. Burning down old things doesn't seem like Yoda
-Rose and Finn didn't act like they were in a hurry on their little Jumanji mission
-Shirtless Kylo dialogue kind of sucks the evil out of the character. don't @ me, I don't care
-Can't track a handheld homing beacon
-Why does using force projection kill you? ; - (
-Rose's dumb, selfish action required the service, and the death, of Luke Skywalker. I wish Finn had shot her for insubordination before she could finish her dumb little speech and then tossed her corpse into the canon to save the day. How did he carry her all the way back across the battlefield without getting killed?
-The scene where Billy Lourd puts on a hologram mask of 1977 Leia and says "Now *I* am the master around here" is super creepy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version