Author Topic: Where is the Mario kart NWR Community?  (Read 24655 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Mario kart NWR Community?
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:02 PM »
I got it yesterday. I haven't played online yet. I lost two triple gold stars at the end of lap three on each Rainbow Road track on 50cc. Otherwise, the only track I have a really tough time on is Donut Plains 3. The really sharp turns are killing me.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Otherwise, the only track I have a really tough time on is Donut Plains 3. The really sharp turns are killing me.

The key is to start your drift on the straights. Once you get the timing down you'll be pulling some really quick laps.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
TendoBoy is my back of the pack rival.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »
Is there a dedicated day/Time people here are playing?  I'd like to see how bad I am compared to the rest here, but don't see people on when I enter the lobby

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »
Anyone unlock any of those gold karts?  I'm still pretty green but I did win a few races now.  I've been using xbl to make parties for MK8, much more enjoyable to hear those rage quitters.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
I'm still playing, though I usually have to save my online karting until late at night (like between 10:30 - 12:00 CST).  I can't get my wife and kids interested in playing online matches, so we're usually doing the local multiplayer thing earlier in the evening.  My NNID is Sundoulos, so feel free to add me to your friends list if you like.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
Yeah, the online can be brutal at times. I would recommend playing the single player first, and unlocking the characters and getting golds in the 150cc cups. Gotta get used to the feel and mechanics of the game, and unlocking more vehicle parts helps also.

If I play then it's at night, so perhaps I'll see some more of you on then.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
You also kind of have to play around with the Kart customization to get a kart you can win with.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Speaking of Cart customization, Anyone have tips? I am maining ShyGuy (of course) and I think he is a light character. The biggest problem I am having is taking corners. What cart build should I go for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Really the default everything is a good way to go. Bikes are good for certain courses, but horrible for a lot of them (like ones with wide turns, at least when drifting). My most recent setup was the pipeframe, cyber slick wheels, and the clouds. Seems like a pretty good combination.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »
Do you all use the bar community tournament room, or are you sending invites somewhere.  I'd like to join.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
I just join random regionals, or worldwide if someone's in a different region.

As for the vehicles, it helps to know what some of the stats mean. Acceleration only shows an increase when it's raised by a whole number, so, for example, 3 accel and 3.5 accel are the same, it has to get to 4 before it would be faster. Accel is the only stat which works in this manner. Traction determines how far out you slide on drifts, as well as off-road speed. There are some terrains on some tracks that will make you slide more than on a road, such as the sandy or icy tracks, so traction will help more here as well. Also note that Blooper ink makes you slippery as well, and high traction will reduce that effect too.

Also, there are some hidden stats to consider. Lighter characters have better mini-turbo boosts than heavies, for example. With gliders, there are two types, the one with a bit extra accel and the one with a bit more weight. Accel gliders are faster in the air so they are typically the best, and weight gliders have more control in the air.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
For handling, I would trying out combinations on both ends of the spectrum and seeing which you like better, then make adjustments from there.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
I take back a lot of the nice things I've said about this game. The items in 100CC are fucking bullshit.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
I feel like on top of the rubber band AI, there's an item disparity.  I was in 2nd place and saw the 1st place character get a mushroom, while I got a coin.  It also seems like items generate for CPU character faster than me, but that could just be in my head.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
The CPU even uses mushroom-based shortcuts, kind of unfair. And yes, when I'm in first I only get coins or bananas, the CPU will get mushrooms and red shells.

I have learned a method to deal with blue shells though, if you don't have a Super Horn. I check the rearview a lot, and if I see a blue shell coming, I just slow down or stop so that whoever is in 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th gets hit by the blast too.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »
Yeah, that strategy helped me a lot in the Wii Version.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
If you happen to have a mushroom, you can use it to boost past the blue shell just as it's about to hit. Timing is tricky, but it can be done. Blue shells seem less common in general, even on 150cc. However, I got hit with two blue shells on 100cc, but that was more the exception than the rule.

Anyway, I switched back to karts because it seem to have an easier time controlling them. That said, I lost again on the last lap on the Crown Cup Rainbow Road on 150cc (I was using a bike). I was drifting then got hit with the lightning bolt which spun me onto a boost pad which automatically boosted me right off the track. Sometimes, I don't know why, "I should play Mario Kart. It'll be fun," is a thought that crosses my mind.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »
I get hit with at least one, and usually two, in every single race in 100CC. What's really stupid it last time I stopped when it was coming, and it still zeroed in on me...and I was in 4th place.

I love ever second of this game, except for the inevitable part where you get spammed with items near the end of the 3rd lap and start yelling "**** YOU!" at the game. I like bikes, because in general they are very fast and you can drift around tight turns easier...but I have the same issue on Rainbow Road where you spin out and fly off the course.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »
If you happen to have a mushroom, you can use it to boost past the blue shell just as it's about to hit. Timing is tricky, but it can be done.

I wondered if that was possible.  I might try to save mushrooms just for that.  My current strategy is to drag items until the next item box in hopes of getting a super horn.

I noticed that I don't like the Crazy 8.  Mostly because I have a hard time using the the item I want (often using the wrong one to disastrous results), and I often lose items in collisions.  It turns out that any "orbiting" items can be used by a player that isn't you.  Even mushrooms. 

Also, I can't figure out the bomb-omb.  Last time I used it, it didn't even seem to get thrown very far; it dropped just ahead of me.  Either way, it never seems to explode when I want it to.  Sometimes it blows just as it lands, other times I drive right on by it, sometimes it'll even blow up as I get to it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
The theory about the item distribution in this game is that the item a player or CPU receives is based on their distance from first place. So, if you're playing single player, the farther ahead you get from the pack, the more likely you'll see items like blue shells and reds. I've found it's a better idea to spend the first lap in 2-5th place, and try to obtain a triple item, such as bananas or shells. Or a Super Horn. Then take first for the other two laps and have an item to defend myself. I also make sure not to get too much of a lead or else more shell and lightning attacks happen.

However, though distance is a factor, it is not the only factor and any item can appear at random. First place is limited to a few choice items, but 2-12th can get anything and everything. Unfortunately I think this may make this the least-balanced Mario Kart that's ever existed, which is probably saying something. Online can be brutal and a real mess; I've gotten hit by Bullet Bills in 1st place which has never happened in previous games. I also commonly see triple reds and the Crazy 8 appear in 2nd place, which 1st has no real defense against since they mostly get coins. Triple reds are this game's real blue shell.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »
I've managed to go entire tracks without getting hit with a single Blue Shell. I think I've held some healthy leads too because I'd go laps undisturbed. Still, I've probably played the game far less than most you since I go several days without playing (most weekdays) so maybe I need more races under my belt before commenting on Blue Shell frequency. Perhaps my experience is the exception.

Item distrubution makes no sense. I'll get a single banana at like sixth place. This isn't even an isolated occurrence.

As for Crazy 8, I just use them all until I get the Star. It's probably not the best strategy.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »
I think the blue shell is less common in this game than in previous games, just in my experience in this game is seems to appear more often when someone gets a lead. I also think CPUs are less likely to use items in 50cc and 100cc than 150cc, so there are more likely to be races there without a blue. But when it comes to something with a random nature like this, it's certainly possible for people to have different experiences.

When I get the Crazy 8, people have a tendency to run into my bomb right away, so I just spam everything quickly before that happens.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
I can't say I get blue shelled in ever race, but at least twice in every circuit. The last few times I played the Special Cup in 100CC I have gone through Cloudtop Cruise staying in first place the entire race and never being hit by an item (though I did have to Super Horn a blue shell last time).]) used in all Mario Kart games. I can't say I get blue shelled in ever race, but at least twice in every circuit. The last few times I played the Special Cup in 100CC I have gone through Cloudtop Cruise staying in first place the entire race and never being hit by an item (though I did have to Super Horn a blue shell last time).

The "item theory" is not a theory, it's part of the game, though not explicitly stated in the Rubber Band AI patent, which can be seen here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:14:01 PM by Brandogg »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
I've been seeing one every race, sometimes two.  Whether I get hit by it or not is a different story, and occasionally, I won't see any.  I feel like earlier games would hit me 2-3 times per race, so it definitely feels less frequent.