Author Topic: Just Dance Sells Two Million Copies Worldwide  (Read 2865 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Just Dance Sells Two Million Copies Worldwide
« on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »
The dance party title has now become the fastest selling new IP from a third party on Wii.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22832

Ubisoft announced that their Wii title Just Dance, first released last November and developed by Ubisoft Paris, now sold more than two million copies worldwide.    

Just Dance finally debuted in the NPD top 10 last January, with 192,000 copies sold. The title sold even more in February, with a total of 275,000 copies sold. Ubisoft expects the title to maintain its sales momentum in by the end of March. The NPD has confirmed that Just Dance is the eight best-selling SKU in North America, while in the UK it's the fourth best-selling.    

Ubisoft went on to declare it "the fastest selling new intellectual property from a third-party on Wii."    

"The consumer response to Just Dance has been overwhelming," said Tony Key, senior VP of sales and marketing at Ubisoft, U.S. "With Just Dance's success we've seen a renewal of the music video game genre, as this is truly a game that is accessible and enjoyable for everyone."    

Special thanks to Blacknmild2k1 for the news tip!

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Just Dance Sells Two Million Copies Worldwide
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
This must be a lie.  3rd parties don't sell on the Wii.

A co-worker of mine was telling me how much fun this game is after playing it with his g/f and her family.  And trust me, he's about the last guy on earth I would expect to have played this game.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:01:45 PM »
This is a game that is completely broken as far as I can tell, but I guess Ubisoft figured "well, people just wanna have an excuse to dance."

Bravo, Ubisoft. I'd rather not see these kind of games succeed, but you finally figured out the Wii Fit market.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
Motion Camera compatibility for the next version could fix everything that is broken with the current one.

Offline Zoltan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
And now watch as the money goes to fund something that will never appear on wii  ::)

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »
And we can expect another 4-5 editions by the end of next year, destroying the dance genre outright.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
Motion Camera compatibility for the next version could fix everything that is broken with the current one.

Isn't Ubisoft the company that just happened to make some motion sensing camera for the Wii?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »

Isn't Ubisoft the company that just happened to make some motion sensing camera for the Wii?

That would be correct sir. Your Shape.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »

That would be correct sir. Your Shape.

I saw some Badminton game being sold (with and without the camera) marketed that you could play it with multiple players and only one remote.  I'm pretty sure it was Ubisoft as well (too lazy to look)...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:49:40 AM »
That is also correct and it was Racquet Sports.
I'm pretty sure the next Just Dance will use the Motion Camera.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:52:55 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Dan_Doll

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 01:08:34 PM »
My girlfriend and I got Just Dance for Christmas. It is fun with a few nostalgic songs that most 80s kids would get a kick out of. The dancing works for the most part, although the main key is wrist angle, and sometimes it's not clear how you need to hold your hands (or jazz fingers).

But, it's fun enough. We played it a bunch until her bad knee suggested we stop.