Author Topic: REVIEWS: Pokémon HeartGold Version  (Read 9463 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: REVIEWS: Pokémon HeartGold Version
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
The games are designed so that EVs and IVs only matter if you plan on playing in tournaments. If you just play the computer opponents then you don't have to even think about them (I don't play other in tournaments since none ever come here and I don't even think about EV/IV when playing).

I'm with Arbok about not getting rid of Pokemon (that is a terrible idea), just limit how many new ones get added (GSC were good in that they only added 100, RSE added 135, DPP added 107). I don't think any types should be eliminated.

Maybe they should give each Pokemon a 5th move slot, but have it be only for HMs. This would allow people to avoid having a HM slave in their team.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
The games are designed so that EVs and IVs only matter if you plan on playing in tournaments. If you just play the computer opponents then you don't have to even think about them (I don't play other in tournaments since none ever come here and I don't even think about EV/IV when playing).

If you play online, EVs become a huge factor. IVs? Not so much, that is when you reach that super competitive cusp. EVs? Those are far more important.

Maybe they should give each Pokemon a 5th move slot, but have it be only for HMs. This would allow people to avoid having a HM slave in their team.

I really like this idea.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:35 AM »
They need to add new types I think to truly make a game similar to Gold/Silver.

I'm pretty sure they haven't added new types because that would greatly increase the complexity of the game. There are a LOT of types as is right now anyway.

Creating new types would get some buzz, and people excited, but in the long term there would probably be a demand to "simplify" later down the road to the days of old.

Rather than introducing new types, a better idea would be to just improve old ones. Grass is pretty lackluster, and poison is worthless as an attack type and a defense type (unless your name is Koffing and you can scoff at Earthquakes).

True. I guess I'm looking for some new mystery like when I ran into my first dark type opponent wondering what those creatures were or how steel type forced me to change my play style from red/blue.

Revamping types does help. I feel that bug type got a great boost in gold/silver that made them much more viable for competition with some great new moves like mega horn.

I'm also pretty sure that there are some dual types that have not been explored yet (are there any ghost/water or fire/bug types?)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 03:38:19 AM »
Grass types are bad because they are weak to common types and super-effective against uncommon types.
Poison type seemed useless to me. Is it weak or strong vs. any type?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:29 AM »
Grass types are bad because they are weak to common types and super-effective against uncommon types.
Poison type seemed useless to me. Is it weak or strong vs. any type?

Strong versus plant and weak versus psychic and ground. It's the reason the attacks Psychic and Earthquake are so devastating to Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar even though they were ghost types. Ghost types were supposed to be effective against psychics. I remember the day I realized this weakness. I was so pumped.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:44:47 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
As Stratos said Poison type moves are effective against Grass types. However most Grass types have the poison type as a second type. So at most you can only do normal damage to those Grass/Poison types.

Ghost/Poison types now have the Levitate ability so Ground type attacks aren't really a concern now.

Poison makes a decent type for attacks that have normal damage to most types.Anyway I figured that poison types have more use as a status inflicter that attacking type.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 02:37:09 AM »
Poison got nerfed pretty bad, and never really recovered.

It used to be super effective against Bug types, but from Gold/Silver on that was removed. Then they added Steel which was immune to Poison and it reduced an already lackluster attack type to just being for Toxic (although to be fair, Poison didn't have any good attacks until Sludge Bomb and other things were introduced much later).

As a Defensive type, it can be very good as long as the user can avoid Earthquake. So Weezing, Gengar, and the Poison/Flying Pokémon are all good choices there.

As for Grass? Eh... that's not good defensively or offensively, which in itself makes Poison even less useful since that's all its good against.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk