Author Topic: Reggie Speaks On Industry Trends  (Read 6253 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie Speaks On Industry Trends
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »

No, they need to make the same Bioshock for the Wii, making a different Deadspace is what killed it on the Wii.
But it wasn't just a different Dead Space.  It was a completely different game with completely different gameplay.  Nobody wants the Dead Space NAME on the box, we want the gameplay experience that PS360 owners got to have.  If it was Dead Space Wii and it was a third person surivival horror game, okay, now we've got something.  But it was an on-rails shooter.  What it was was EA wanting to get the Dead Space IP on the Wii in some form.  Same with all of these spin-offs.  They don't count because they're just a name on a box.  The gameplay we associate with those games is not offered.  Dead Space on the Wii didn't bomb because it was not the PS360 Dead Space.  It bombed because it played nothing like the PS360 Dead Space.  We don't know how well a unique Dead Space Wii would have sold because we didn't get one.
That is exactly what I was trying to say in as few words as possible.

Offline Dan_Doll

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Bioshock 2 on Wii would probably bomb, which is the problem. Take Two can't forecast the sales numbers to make it worthwhile. From 360 or PS3, bringing a game to Wii would require creating it almost from the ground up. It'd be like creating a new game as far as company resources go, so it's still an investment.

Worse, being a port, waggle controls would be non existent or tacked on, so the game, no matter what series, will always seem inferior to its HD cousin. For multi console owners, that means never buying the game for Wii and that further slashes the target audience. It's not profitable.

Franchises like Rockband, Guitar Hero, Madden, WWE Smackdown and Call of Duty show there's hope, but in every instance (a case could be made to exclude Madden), the games lack something from their HD counterparts. And the sales still reflect this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:43 PM »
But you get to add pointer controls which would vastly improving aiming in games like Bioshock, GTA, CoD and any other 1st & 3rd person game you can think of.

As for now it's a trade off of graphics for controls, and waggle does not need to be included to justify a Wii version.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 03:21:18 AM »
We aren't asking for dumb down-ports, we're asking for Wii games!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
It doesn't have to be a dumb downed port just because they brought it to the Wii. Look at Prince of Persia, the Wii version is basically the same game as the HD version only with unique features for the Wii.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 11:34:39 AM »
With unique features it's not a dumb port.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Franchises like Rockband, Guitar Hero...  show there's hope, but in every instance (a case could be made to exclude Madden), the games lack something from their HD counterparts. And the sales still reflect this.

I thought that with those two particular examples the sales were actually BETTER on wii..?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
Franchises like Rockband, Guitar Hero, Madden, WWE Smackdown and Call of Duty show there's hope, but in every instance (a case could be made to exclude Madden), the games lack something from their HD counterparts. And the sales still reflect this.

Yeah, you are completely WRONG and a basic search for sales would show this. As EasyCure said, the Wii versions of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero games have actually been the BEST selling versions. Not to mention that the games themselves are the same on Wii as they are on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (minus being in HD).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
Is there any chance that the big games of 2010 could turn the trend of wii third party games not selling very well around? I mean I see many third party games that I would love to have in my collection.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »
also, on on rails games, they take less effort to make, your perspective is forced, and because of this you won't see all the glitches you would normally see in a regular game, it clears out memory too because at any time you can only see what they want you to see.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post