Author Topic: Get Your Grub On  (Read 16325 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Get Your Grub On
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=18936

Like many of you, I had a good laugh at Gamer Grub when Penny Arcade savagely skewered the startup snack company last year. Some changes to the product have been made since then -- the ridiculous genre/flavor combinations have been reduced to just flavors, and more importantly, Gamer Grub is now a real product that you can buy and taste for yourself.    

That's exactly what I did at E3, passing by the tiny Gamer Grub booth between appointments. I approached the counter, filled with sample cups of all four flavors, out of sheer curiosity. ("Where have I heard of this before?") I was surprised --nay, shocked!-- to find the snacks to be, in a word, delicious. The company representative apparently took notice of my media badge (and my approving reaction) and quickly offered full-size bags of the Pizza and PB&J (peanut butter and jelly) flavors. I, being damn-near shameless, thanked him and hinted that our rather large website staff would really appreciate the samples, which naturally led to even more free food being offered and subsequently accepted.    

A small portion of the samples did go out to my fellow NWR writers, but most of it went directly into my digestive system. That's because I was hungry, and Gamer Grub is food. E3 truly brings out a person's primal nature. I tend to skip real lunch at E3 for the sake of my valuable time and somewhat less valuable money, but my belly stayed satiated for two mid-days in a row thanks to Gamer Grub. It tasted good, even in larger quantities, and it satisfied me for a few hours.    

The snacks were such a nice surprise that I felt compelled to congratulate the company via email after E3... which, as you might expect by now, resulted in even more pouches of Gamer Grub being sent through the mail. Maybe this is wasteful shipping, but no more so than the ramen, cookies, and military rations that game companies have sent over the years to promote various things.    

Only the Pizza and PB&J flavors are currently available for purchase (at around $4 per bag), and you probably won't find Gamer Grub at all outside the two initial retail partners: Fry's Electronics and ThinkGeek.com. Of the first two flavors, I prefer Pizza, which tastes like a savory trail mix covered in Doritos powder. It's obviously cheesy and salty, but there's also a pleasantly strong tomato flavor. PB&J is less satisfying as a heavy snack, but it captures the sandwich's flavors extremely well, particularly the contrast between salty peanuts and sweet (strawberry) jelly. Both are filling and definitely tasty, and although the food is heavily processed (like most things we eat these days), Gamer Grub's ingredients include relatively wholesome peanuts, almonds, pita chips, dried fruit, etc. The two flavors I've tasted are good enough that I'm still eager to try the Chocolate and Wasabi flavors when they become available.    

The makers of Gamer Grub were eager to tell me about the product's health benefits at the E3 booth. It's fortified with several vitamins, including some exotic-sounding stuff that, when provided in a certain combination, supposedly makes your brain and muscles work together better. That's not very appealing for me, since I often want to turn off my brain and employ minimal muscle function while playing games, even on Wii. This stuff is mainly being marketed at the Halo/CoD4 crowd -- gamers who are looking for an edge. I don't think they're going to find it in snack foods. The less dubious advantage for gamers is that Gamer Grub comes in a recloseable pouch that lets you pour the food into your mouth without ever touching it. The container works exactly as advertised.    

You're an idiot if you think drinking Vitamin Water every day will make you healthy. It's just Kool-Aid with unnecessary nutrients, most of which don't absorb well without food. But I still buy Vitamin Water every now and then... because it tastes good. Same goes for Gamer Grub. I guess every food company has to find a marketing hook for its products, but any real or imagined competitive benefits from eating this stuff pales in comparison to what should be the real draw: the snacks are delicious. It seems odd to market a snack so directly to a particular population (like the Yorkie chocolate bar, or Men's Pocky) when it should be equally tasty to everyone. I found it to be most handy as an air travel snack, since it goes through security, fits easily in a carry-on, and tastes similar (but better) to the nuts and pretzels we already associate with airplane food. Regardless, if you are a connoisseur of snacks or just need to pick up some calories while out shopping, Gamer Grub is a fine choice.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: Get Your Grub On
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:43:48 AM »
This is probably the funniest article/blog post I've read from here in some time.  Those marketing reps sure suckered you in :p

I'd wind up trying it if it were available at a grocery store, wasn't overpriced, and the vitamins actually satisfied any of my dietary needs, but I'll only find out the second two after I see it in a grocery store and take a look.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »
Yeeeeah, nothing beats REAL pizza...
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »
What's a serving size of this and how many calories does it contain? How can I portion out a serving size if I'm not supposed to touch the food? Is this product for me if I have to ask questions? Why does Vitamin Water taste like drain water?

Is it weird that I like Yorkies? Especially the raisin and biscuit kind, that's one of the best candy bars ever.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 02:30:49 AM »
And you can wash it down with Mountain Dew game fuel! Currently in Horde and Alliance WoW flavors.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »
Is this the *real* reason you're excited there's a Fry's near your temporary home, Jonny?
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:25 AM »
I saw the headline for this blog and without even looking at the byline I knew Jonny had to have written it! On multiple occasions at the show I saw him walking around with his neck craned, pouring Gamer Grub down his throat. He would then immediately suggest popping into their booth for free sample bags because it was so delicious. It was pretty funny. He would also remark how he was "eating it properly" which I found consistently hilarious as well.

I will say, the Wasabi flavor was awesome, and reminded me of a typical Oriental snack mix you'd find at the supermarket.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
$4 for a bag that is only 4 oz? I don't care if they are good or not, that's a rip-off, especially sing you get a 15 oz bag of chips for less than $1.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »
It does seem expensive. I'm sure the price will drop once more stores are carrying it. But, at least it is dense and filling (more than the same amount of potato chips).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
Heh, I can just picture Jonny looting the Gamer Grub booth.

"No really, guys, our site has like 50 editors. I'd better grab some more."

Shame it has MSG in it which means I'll never be able to try it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
MSG is tasty. It gives food a savory flavor.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »
MSG is in the air we breath, and inside Wii Motion Plus.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »
I don't know... I avoid touching my input devices with dirty fingers so eating crisps at the PC is right out and these things seem to be pretty fatty too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
So they call potato chips "crisps" in Germany too?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
I find Salt n Vinegar Pringles the perfect gamer grub.  Delicious and neat, so as to avoid getting oily crumbs all over your wii.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
Oh, there's MSG in it?  That stuff makes me sick.  I guess it's not something I'd ever consider picking up.

Seriously, I think Johnny got addicted to the stuff in the grub, and he's just writing this because they promised him more.  Someone make him detox, please.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »
If his post didn't tell you how much he liked it, try this:  I roomed with Jonny and didn't even get to try any!
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
Jonny needs help.

His eyes glow and he Wii Bowls from a couch now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
Oh, there's MSG in it?  That stuff makes me sick.  I guess it's not something I'd ever consider picking up.

That's why S_B condemned it earlier. Its so bad that one time we were playing Dungeons and Dragons and I had a big bag of Doritos and he nearly got sick because of the smell.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
That's what I read and decided I'd get sick.  I'm a step ahead and behind you.

Anyways, I've figured out that for every hour this is the top post on the site, the company is going to send their addict another container of the stuff.  That must be it!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
Doritos are auuwwwsummm

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
Of the first two flavors, I prefer Pizza, which tastes like a savory trail mix covered in Doritos powder.

This is the epitome of bad product design.  It doesn't matter if the "grub" is supposed to be consumed without touching it.  If I can't even grab a handful of the stuff without wiping my hands before I touch a controller it doesn't serve its main purpose.

A better product would be one that fit into the "junk food" category (with or without essential nutrients injected into it) without soiling your hands.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
I would gladly take nachos in NASA tube form.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »
I'm confused by some of the posts here.

Are you guys allergic to MSG? If not, it's perfectly healthy and safe. I keep a shaker of it (Accent) in my kitchen for when I cook Asian food.

What's up with the complaints about powder and crumbs? The whole point is that the stuff doesn't get on your hands or controllers. That is the only (legit) thing about the snacks that is specially done for gamers.

Aaron never asked me for any Gamer Grub. It's not like I was Bogarting it!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »
Whenever I have MSG, my tummy hurts.  I might be allergic to it, or it could be something else, but I know it's MSG doing it.

As far as crumbs and powder, I think we're all under the impression that you eat the food like you eat doritos or combos, or something similar.  If that's not the case, I didn't perceive things that way, and you're being a bad shill!  -10 foods for you!