Author Topic: Get Your Grub On  (Read 16376 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Get Your Grub On
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »
Eh, I wouldn't necessarily call MSG "safe"...

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Proof_BrainLesions_CNS.html

I've always been highly allergic to it, as has my mother. But even my friends who can consume it without much issue will get head/stomach aches in sufficient amounts. It is essentially a neurotoxin as it's job is to overstimulate the taste buds to "fake" enhanced flavor.

This says nothing to your enjoyment of the snack. If you like it, enjoy. Just saying that until they come out with an organic version (and there's debate to whether or not that's safe either), it won't be something I can partake in.

Nothing like taking one source to back up your claims. Anyway I use MSG in virtually everything I make, no one in my family is allergic to it and it adds a great flavor. I'll also match that MSG with the great tasting aspartame in a drink ;).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Quote from: Mop_it_up
You always hear about what's bad but it seems like there's not much discussion on what is good for you.

lol I know what you mean. All the advice I can give is summed up to two sentences: Anything that comes from nature, whether it is produced en mass or not, is good for you. Eat in moderation.

And the stuff that is advertised as being "healthy" is often ridiculously expensive.

Are you talking about frozen foods?

I don't even know what's going on with the whole "organic" buzzword because I've always thought all food is organic...

All natural food is organic, scientifically at least lol. Processed foods, and food put in any kind of package has non-natural ingredients I would say they aren't totally organic, but that's just my opinion. If your body can absorb all the nutrients from whatever you ate, then I would say that is as organic as can be.

Quote from: Stratos link
Organic means that no chemicals or pesticides were used in the ground or on the plants when they were growing.
I just looked it up. It doesn't necessarily mean that absolutely no chemicals are used, just less chemicals. So you aren't even safe there.

I guess I'll just have to grow my own food...

A little story... where I grew up, the owned terrain was approximately 10 764 ft^2. A small area for the house, a similar area for garden and driveway, and a huge area for farming and the barn and whatnot. My parents would plant anything they wanted within seasonal restrictions. Everything was grown naturally, yet they had to use a minimal amount of chemicals to protect fruit trees and veggies from parasites, diseases,  bugs, and whatnot. You just can't grown anything naturally unless you have it all covered to protect the plantation from nature itself. However if you live in an area that is not surrounded by such wilderness, i.e. in the city, and you have enough space then you shouldn't have much a problem growing anything without much chemicals other than resupplying the ground with more nutrients.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:42:01 PM by Caliban »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »
Anything that comes from nature, whether it is produced en mass or not, is good for you. Eat in moderation.

So kids, next time you find an uranium deposit make sure you use it to create your dining utensils. Make sure you garnish your meal with a liberal amount of poison ivy, with a couple handfuls of deadly nightshade, and for flavor please use all the mercury you wish. Because, remember, if it comes from nature it has to be good for you!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
Most of the deadliest poisons known to man are 100% natural. That's why I make a point to eat as little natural food as possible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
Anything that comes from nature, whether it is produced en mass or not, is good for you. Eat in moderation.

So kids, next time you find an uranium deposit make sure you use it to create your dining utensils. Make sure you garnish your meal with a liberal amount of poison ivy, with a couple handfuls of deadly nightshade, and for flavor please use all the mercury you wish. Because, remember, if it comes from nature it has to be good for you!

*FACEPALM*

Most of the deadliest poisons known to man are 100% natural. That's why I make a point to eat as little natural food as possible.

*DOUBLE FACEPALM*

Has common sense died off, or something. Of course I meant any food that is edible given by nature from the group of fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, etcetera. Good Lord! Sheesh!

I seriously hope those 2 were being sarcastic.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »

*FACEPALM*

*DOUBLE FACEPALM*

Has common sense died off, or something. Of course I meant any food that is edible given by nature from the group of fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, etcetera. Good Lord! Sheesh!

I seriously hope those 2 were being sarcastic.

I was deadly serious, I think everyone should try my dish at least once.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
I thought about eating more natural foods, then I learned that so many people died from natural causes.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
The Chinese restaurant near my home features no MSG.  Not sure how you can feature something you don't use.  Just sayin'.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
MSG is a traditional part of Japanese cuisine and has been used (in its natural forms, primarily seaweed) for at least hundreds if not thousands of years. If you're allergic, that's one thing. Otherwise you're just paranoid.

It's a salt. Eat too much of anything and it's bad for you. Sure, there's too much MSG in the modern diet, but it's doing less harm than many other things used in excess.

Some people are allergic, some aren't.

But the real issue most people take is that MSG is very often hidden in ingredient labels. Gamer Grub at least has the balls to call it monosodium glutamate right on the list.

Generally speaking, if something lists "Natural Flavor" or "Spices", I can't eat it for risk of MSG poisoning. That's why many people are up in arms about it, because companies see the need to conceal it instead of just listing it right out there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:24:01 PM by Smash_Brother »
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
Companies conceal it in ingredients lists because people have made it out to be some kind of evil poison when it's not. But I totally think it should be listed accurately, just like other allergens such as peanuts. I don't understand Asian restaurants that don't use MSG. At least make it an option for those of us who like it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Is this even an issue?

People who are allergic to MSG avoid it. People who love MSG sprinkle it on everything edible. Its a matter of choice, like red or blue, paper or plastic, boxers or briefs. Why even argue it like it matters to everyone?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »
Is this even an issue?

People who are allergic to MSG avoid it. People who love MSG sprinkle it on everything edible. Its a matter of choice, like red or blue, paper or plastic, boxers or briefs. Why even argue it like it matters to everyone?

Party pooper.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »
Is this even an issue?

Party pooper.

GP likes to argue ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
MSG is a traditional part of Japanese cuisine and has been used (in its natural forms, primarily seaweed) for at least hundreds if not thousands of years. If you're allergic, that's one thing. Otherwise you're just paranoid.

It's a salt. Eat too much of anything and it's bad for you. Sure, there's too much MSG in the modern diet, but it's doing less harm than many other things used in excess.

I'm sorry, but I usually don't care about ignorance, but this is just wrong. My mother is an oncologist and consistently warns me about MSG. MSG is absolutely terrible for you. Yes it's in a lot of Asian cuisine, but WTF does that mean?

It's hard to avoid eating MSG. Even in places that claim they don't use MSG probably do through the sauces and other ingredients they add.

Stay away from it!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »

I'm sorry, but I usually don't care about ignorance, but this is just wrong. My mother is an oncologist and consistently warns me about MSG. MSG is absolutely terrible for you. Yes it's in a lot of Asian cuisine, but WTF does that mean?

It's hard to avoid eating MSG. Even in places that claim they don't use MSG probably do through the sauces and other ingredients they add.

Stay away from it!

Or people can mind their own  business regardless of what their mom says.

Also I see some extreme irony considering the source of this warning!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:16:24 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
The trick is that people in Japan have the highest rate of people reaching centenial ages. So despite MSG in Asian food, they aren't obviously dieing from it. Unless Japan is the exception the the Asian MGS rule. Though I doubt it considering some of the dishes I've seen from there.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
Despite it being my mother, she is an oncologist and has been one for sometime. This is FIRST HAND knowledge.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »
Despite it being my mother, she is an oncologist and has been one for sometime. This is FIRST HAND knowledge.

Wow, doctors of all types never disagree either!

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/4/1058S

Seriously like most of these health concerns regarding certain food products, you can find studies from both sides. So to call someone ignorant is totally uncalled for because they know a person who believes different.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:21:09 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
It's ignorant to think that just because a society has lived through the years eating one type of food, that others are fine to eat it; ie, you ever drink the water from Mexico?

EDIT: You can heed the advice or not. Ultimately, it's your body and I could give six shades of **** what you do with it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:32:20 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »
It's ignorant to think that just because a society has lived through the years eating one type of food, that others are fine to eat it; ie, you ever drink the water from Mexico?

EDIT: You can heed the advice or not. Ultimately, it's your body and I could give six shades of **** what you do with it.

Considering the source, I think I'll look to other sources for my information.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
Are you dissing me or my mother?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2009, 07:44:01 PM »
Are you dissing me or my mother?

Oh perhaps you, or maybe I was saying look at different sources then one person. We may never know exactly what I meant. At least I didn't call you ignorant like you called Jonny the super mod. BTW I would drink Mexican water too if it seemed to cause a great life expectancy in the population!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:47:35 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »
Ignorance is not a diss, questioning my mother's status as a published researcher and tenured professor is.

Is Jonny a researcher? Is a Jonny an oncologist? Then he might not know the intricacies of what causes cancer; ie ignorant.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:03:26 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
A WTF.GTFO.STFU policy is in order here.

Because Without The Facts, we're just Gamers That Fight Over Stuff That's Fairly Unnecessary
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.