Author Topic: Playing Outdoors Causes Dangerous Behavior In Children  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Playing Outdoors Causes Dangerous Behavior In Children
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:14:18 AM »
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blogArt.cfm?artid=19896

An interesting article caught my eye over on Jalopnik this morning.  (Jalopnik is a blog for car fans.)  It was an upsetting read as a 9-year-old child stole his parents' car and led police on an 80 mile per hour car chase.  "Oh man, I bet they found some way to relate this to video games," I thought.    

"...he got mad at his parents and stole their car after they made him quit playing..." is one of the first things the Jalopnik article says.  They must be referring to video games!  What's this?  He was upset they told him to come in from playing outside?!  How could this be? Video games cause evilness!  The outdoors is where kids are supposed to go to grow up healthy and well adjusted!    

While the story itself is somewhat tragic (luckily the child seems to be mostly unharmed), I think it's an important one for parents to read.  Had they yelled at him to stop playing Grand Theft Auto the world would be up in arms against the evils of video games.  I bet very few would blame the parents for letting their 9-year-old play such a game.  However, this story will most likely be forgotten in a matter of days because there is nothing easy to blame..    

The Article at Jalopnik

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: Playing Outdoors Causes Dangerous Behavior In Children
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out, Pale. This is exactly the problem right here, people just need a scapegoat and video games are a convenient one.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
We have had this discusion many times. Is there really anything that anybody can bring to the table that is new?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
If the scapegoat was actually...

a goat.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
There's no money to be had from parents. No chance to sue/blame wealthy corporations= NO SALE.

Investigators said the boy left while his parents were sleeping by stealing the keys out of his mother's purse. He told officers that he was going to a friend's house.

:D :D
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Hahah! Awesome!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
Reminds me a story from a few weeks back. Of course, in this instance, the kid is justified in his reasoning.

http://brewright.blogspot.com/2009/08/kid-steals-car-to-avoid-going-to-church.html

User was warned for this post.  You could have just linked to the story without the religious commentary. ~Pale
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 08:30:27 PM by Pale »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
Nice little observation, Pale. The satire here is very tasty.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »
We've got to do something about these goddamn outdoors.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
Reminds me a story from a few weeks back. Of course, in this instance, the kid is justified in his reasoning.

http://brewright.blogspot.com/2009/08/kid-steals-car-to-avoid-going-to-church.html

User was warned for this post.  You could have just linked to the story without the religious commentary. ~Pale

No religious commentary was made. I meant that the kid was justified in not wanting to get up early on the weekend. He could have been avoiding a trip to the grocery store for all I care.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
We've got to do something about these goddamn outdoors.

We should have an independent agency Rate outdoor areas.

Playgrounds, Elementary Schools = Rated E for Everyone
Middle/High Schools, College (Campus) = Rated T for Teen
College (Dorms), Night Clubs, Bars = Rated M for Mature
Strip Clubs =  Rated AO for Adults Only

Hm.. what category does the backyard fall in to though?

Anyway, this story irks me because as Pale and everyone else pointed out, had this scenario inolved video games there would be a potential ****-fest with the media. The thing is, using videogames as a scapegoat will eventually lose its impact. Just as rock 'n' roll music did, videogames will also have a time where the elder generation, the one making the rules, grew up with them and devilify it (to an extent*).

Is it sad that, when this time comes, is when video games will be completely mainstream (probably..)? I don't even want to think what form of entertainment will take videogames place in our future, becoming the new scapegoat..

*When we're playing in holodecks and everything is completely photorealistic, I'm sure the ultraviolent games will still be blamed.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 03:34:36 AM »
blame the goat!

sacrifice him to Molach!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
Pale Causes Dangerous Behavior In Children.

Children = Posters.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:23 AM »

Children = Posters.

Sad thing is he probably does feel like we're children sometime because of the way we act (in contrast to his position of power of course). If he didn't need to moderate us, his behavior would be just as "dangerous"
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »

Children = Posters.

Sad thing is he probably does feel like we're children sometime because of the way we act (in contrast to his position of power of course). If he didn't need to moderate us, his behavior would be just as "dangerous"

Isn't that kind of like the pot calling the kettle black?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
I find myself from time to time wishing I had a Rocket Launcher or something similar when I watch a helicopter fly by; shooting it out of the sky in an awesome blaze of fiery destruction. I blame that entirely on videogames......and Michael Bay.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »

LOL that is funny. Didi he just drive back to the house from church?
I'm sure they can blame his knowledge on how to drive on video games atleast. I'm not sure how many parents teach their 7yr or 9yr olds how to drive.  But some Burnout, GT, Forza, NFS or whatever other racing game, maybe with a wheel/pedal set-up, being a decent teacher.

p.s. I saw no commentary of a religious nature in that post. warning seems a little unnecessary.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:29:47 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
Is it sad that, when this time comes, is when video games will be completely mainstream (probably..)? I don't even want to think what form of entertainment will take videogames place in our future, becoming the new scapegoat..

Whatever it is, we won't like it because we'll be old fuddy-duddies that don't understand it.  Think of something that sounds completely outrageous to you now and somehow whatever entertainment the next generation likes will associate it with it somehow.  Probably something to do with robot sex. ;)

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »

Whatever it is, we won't like it because we'll be old fuddy-duddies that don't understand it.  Think of something that sounds completely outrageous to you now and somehow whatever entertainment the next generation likes will associate it with it somehow.  Probably something to do with robot sex. ;)

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »

I hear that playing Halo and listening to rap music is already pretty popular...