Author Topic: Google's Quest for World Dominance  (Read 36928 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Quest for World Dominance
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Hey, if this means more phones will have NFC, then I'm all for it. That technology is sick.

By the way, I thought Apple would have rolled this out first since they tested the waters with their Starbucks app.

I was just thinking of a use for that tech and the first thing that came to mind was The Grocery Store.
Each store supplies their own baskets and each of these baskets have the tech built in (powered by an invisible grid on the floor) and it tracks every item put into the basket. when you are done shopping you step through a self check out line and a monitor displays a list and the price total of everything in the basket. [this is where you would present any paper coupons* or foodstamps/money vouchers to the clerk] You then select "OK" on your phone to automatically pay for it if you are using just a card.
If the payment is accepted, then you pass through to the bagging area where you can bag your groceries if necessary (or take a handful of bags and bag them at your car as you put them in the trunk). But no more waiting in line to pay for groceries for 20minutes.

* any electronic coupons (Groupons/Living Social/Google Offers) that are loaded to your Google Wallet will automatically deduct and be reflected on the Displayed list at checkout.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »
That's not a bad idea but it would also have to use RFID tag info and not NFC alone.

My first use for NFC would be trading contact info. It's such a hassle these days to get a number then either call them or send them a text. That **** sucks. It also sucks when someone tells you to "Facebook" them. That's incredibly emasculating.

It would be much easier and honestly kinda sexy as a precursor for your phones to bump uglies before you do. Also, you could get all sorts of other information other than just their number, like most importantly - a picture, which during drunken blurs of a night are a God send.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
They already have an app for trading info called "Bump It" where you both load up the app and bump phones and it exchanges each others numbers and other info (that you pre-determine before hand).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:41 PM »
I've seen that and it fails for three reason:

One, you still need to be connected to the internet via 3G, 4G or Wifi.

Two, both users have to open the app.

Three, it uses location data and therefore could get mixed up if the app were to take off.

NFC doesn't need those prerequisites to work and can't get mixed up. I can pull up my contact card, tap the back of your phone, and it'll transfer, even if you were doing something else. No app, no added steps.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »
You know StreetPass would solve all those problems.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
Yeah that's why I've had a great interest in finding out how exactly it works. And a week ago, I think I figured it out. StreetPass uses something called Wifi-Direct. I think Maryjane brought it up once, but basically it's a way to connect and exchange data without the need for an access point or the internet. It's like Bluetooth on crack. It can connect to 8 different devices at once as well.

As of right now there are only a handful of phones that are Wifi-Direct Certified (all of them Android), but the greatest thing about Wifi-Direct is that all you need is one device to be certified for it to work. So I wanted to exchange info with someone who had an older phone but still had a regular Wifi card, we could still connect.

EDIT: The bad thing about it though is that it still takes time to connect. The way Nintendo gets around this is through proprietary software. They programmed the 3DS to search out other devices by sending out a tag. When another 3DS is in range, those tags circumvent the security process and immediately connect. Once connected, they share information.

I believe someone could right an app to do the same thing, but the app would have to be on all the time. Thanks to multi-tasking, that shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

But to immediately trade information, that time it takes to connect makes it unlikely to compete with NFC when transferring data up close.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:53:46 PM by The Unagi »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
Yeah that's why I've had a great interest in finding out how exactly it works. And a week ago, I think I figured it out. StreetPass uses something called Wifi-Direct. I think Maryjane brought it up once, but basically it's a way to connect and exchange data without the need for an access point or the internet. It's like Bluetooth on crack. It can connect to 8 different devices at once as well.

As of right now there are only a handful of phones that are Wifi-Direct Certified (all of them Android), but the greatest thing about Wifi-Direct is that all you need is one device to be certified for it to work. So I wanted to exchange info with someone who had an older phone but still had a regular Wifi card, we could still connect.
Sounds like Adhoc Wireless.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
It is. It's a form of it that has been greatly simplified. While Ad-hoc requires one device to be the access point that the other device connects to, this does away with that (except when dealing with older technology).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:56:13 PM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
I've seen that and it fails for three reason:

One, you still need to be connected to the internet via 3G, 4G or Wifi.

Two, both users have to open the app.

Three, it uses location data and therefore could get mixed up if the app were to take off.

NFC doesn't need those prerequisites to work and can't get mixed up. I can pull up my contact card, tap the back of your phone, and it'll transfer, even if you were doing something else. No app, no added steps.

but I don't want random people giving me their info or vice versa on accident.
I don't think both people having the app open is that big of a deal. You should have to accept a contact info exchange afterall (image guys in the club bumping random chicks phones and either sending them dick pics or snaggin their personal info w/o their knowledge).

I've never used the program, but I didn't know it required an online connection and I'm not 100% why the location data would screw up the contact info if the program was removed.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
Bump (and other apps like it) uses your location data to identify the devices that are trying to share info. Therefore, if there are a bunch of people (think a convention) trying to share contact info, confusion can occur.

I agree with you that assholes will take advantage of the situation and people won't mind opening up an app if it means more security. But that's all it should take.

Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49L7z3rxz4Q&feature=player_embedded#at=868

You got to admit. NFC is dope.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:36:25 PM by The Unagi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
I think it look & sounds awesome, but there should be an app you launch to share stuff. I would fear that people are stealing my contacts and any other info stored on my phone just by getting close enough to activate the tech.

We can all multi task, so it shouldn't take much to press home during whatever you're doing, then click the NFC button on the home screen, then go back to what you are doing and your auto share is activated. Or everytime an autoshare is activated, you have to click a confirm icon on your screen in order for the data to transfer. There has got to be some sort of security/protection against theft and accidental sharing.

I can already see soooo many girls numbers getting jacked in the club that it's not even funny.

John: Hey Jenny, where's carla at?
Jenny: She don't want to see you or hear from you again, she changed her number and isn't coming out tonite.
John: Can you just call her for me and tell her I said I'm sorry.
::Jenny pulls out phone and goes to Carla's contact info::
::John places his phone real close to Jenny's while she's doing it::
*info auto-shared*
John: trollface.jpg

Stalking will have now have a new tech too. I'm sure I don't need to give an example for that one.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Hahaha you sound like a nervous Einstien after he split the atom. "But what if it's used for evil?!"

Relax, pimpin'.  Simple precautions will be setup I'm sure. And when it does get popular enough, your phone will have the clap from getting so many numbers.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:18 PM »
Google ate all of the Bookmark and Share links on the site to become the Google 1-Click...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
Finally got invited to Google Music. I put almost all my songs on it, including those I made and now I have access to them everywhere, on my phone or computer. It's pretty much the ****.

I especially like how it has a little pandora/grooveshark in it. What I mean by that is I can make instant playlists using a song that I like as the inspiration. It kinda sucks that I couldn't import my own playlists that I have already, but that's not a big deal.

Overall, the style of the player is slick and clean. I don't know if I would pay for this service just yet...but I really like it so far. In fact, I'm putting my idea into place and making another account (that I hope gets invited as well). This new account I'm going to share with all of my friends around the states and tell them to upload their favorite music. That way, I can always see what my friends are listening to and know that I'll probably like it too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
I just installed my Google Music app. I had almost forgotten about it.

But it looks like Google is getting into Games
http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/uslocations/mountain-view/product/product-manager-games-mountain-view/index.html

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Google+
https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
Goggle's answer to facebook is about to go Live.
Best thing about it (I think) is that if you already have a google/gmail account, then you will already be apart of it and it centers around the Google search page.

Interactive Tour
http://www.google.com/+/demo/

Things like
Huddle - which allows 6 people to text message in a group chat
Circles - which allows you to decide which group people belong to and therefore what communications they are allowed to see.
Hangout - which looks like video chat with randoms from your circle(s)
Instant Upload - self explanatory, to a private G+ location
Sparks - some kind of push marketing that targets things that fits your interest

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
The last time they tried this it was terrible.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Best thing about it (I think) is that if you already have a google/gmail account, then you will already be apart of it and it centers around the Google search page.

You mean the worst part? The last thing the internet needs is more social networking. There's a good reason I only use Gmail for spam accounts. No way am I going to give an advertising company access to my information.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
The worst part about it being tied to Gmail is that it's now going to be impossible to create the Jon Lindemann joke account.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
The worst part about it being tied to Gmail is that it's now going to be impossible to create the Jon Lindemann joke account.

That's why Twitter will always be the king.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
I have a Google+ account now! PM me your email and I will invite you. Might not be a quick turn around but I will invite as I have time.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Quote from: Google
When you sign-up for Google+, there is no authentication process. As with many of our products, we rely on our users and the community to report any impersonations. We then review these reports and act accordingly. You can try to determine if someone is who they claim to be by viewing their profile, posts, etc. Or if you know them, you can contact them directly.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 03:34:35 AM »
The unwritten rule of NWR is nobody is allowed to determine whether Jon Lindemann is the REAL Jon Lindemann.

Break this rule and Jon will ban you himself.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
Im on the plus, bleeding edge internet kewl.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Im on + as well. I can't seem to find a way to plan events.

I also don't know how to chat outside of 'Hangout' with a person who's email I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:23:11 PM by The Unagi »