Author Topic: N64 button remapping on Wii U. Woo!  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Dozy Boy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
N64 button remapping on Wii U. Woo!
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »
This is going to be a rather detailed description of my own predicament, but bear with me.

After moving to Japan, I went a long time without getting any new games, because the language barrier intimidated me. But as I improved my Japanese and even decided to use games to practice, I dove in sometime last year with a used J-Wii and a bunch of cheap used games. Rediscovered the Virtual Console and downloaded classic N64 games for the very first time. Played Majora's Mask for about half an hour before realizing that I somehow straight up sucked at it. Like bad. Like "how do I swing the sword, hurrr" levels of incompetence. Slowly it dawned on me. These buttons were mapped wrong. Not like A and B were switched. The whole layout was rotated a mindboggling 90 degrees counterclockwise. I confirmed it with Kirby 64: I can't do this. I can't continue to suck air at holes I meant to jump over. I can't continue to run into bosses I meant to attack. I can't go on accidentally throwing away my element power ups, like...

WHO DESIGNED THIS?! Whose bright idea was it that just because the names of the buttons on a Wii classic controller happen to match a right-side oriented SNES instead of the left-side oriented N64 that they would have to map A to a and B to b. Like, okay, the button names are the same now, but the thumb has to completely relearn 20+ years of controller standards. I was flabbergasted.

What was even more amazing was that when I searched the net for people's opinions on this, I could find literally one post mentioning a complaint in passing. How did the whole userbase possibly overlook this? Do they have superhuman muscle memory retrainability? Did very few people purchase the games?

Well, then of course I used my Gamecube controllers exclusively for the task. It works... okay. The Dpad is not great, and the A and B buttons are still the wrong diagonal orientation, but at least they are located on the left side. But trying to do a split second long jump in Mario 64 with a deep analog trigger is pretty bad. I'm always accidentally butt stomping because A is pressed before I can fully depress L.

All this led me to ask. "Why can't I freaking remap this mess?" I long for the days when you could tell Super Metroid anything you wanted for controls, like if you want Select to be shoot, go for it. Total customization.

Thus... when... I ... saw... that... glorious... Nintendo... Direct... in which Iwata-sama casually described Wii U N64 button remapping I literally stood up out of my chair, clapped my hands and bellowed out loud like the 800 pound gorilla with a red tie I suddenly decided was worth downloading.

I had my Wii U Xenoblade bundle already reserved at that point, but this was complete peace of mind. You see, I wasn't sure whether I would ever want to transfer my data from my Wii. Because you can't just plug in a GC controller and use it on Wii U Virtual Console. (I don't have the GC controller adapter, but even if I did, would it really work with DK64? Open question, seriously. I would like to know.) But now I had peace of mind that I wouldn't need to worry about losing functionality by putting my N64 titles on Wii U... In fact, it would be all pure gain!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Forum goers everywhere.

I have not yet performed the system transfer... I have just bought DK64.

ηš†γ•γ‚“γ€‚η™Ίθ‘¨γ—γΎγ™γ€‚

The Japanese Wii U does not have button remapping.

It does not have button remapping.

I want to cast your mind back to the early 90s. You are a kid. So far you have found 90 exits in Super Mario World. One day, when you pick it up, spin jump has inexplicably and permanently become regular jump. Jump has become fireball. Have a nice game.

Now it is the later 90s. Ocarina of Time. You have just arrived in Ganon's Tower. Suddenly in order to roll you have to use C-down which is not for items anymore. Have a nice game.

It is the 2000s. Super Smash Brothers Melee. Middle of a Tournament. Lol, let's attack with a bean-shaped X from now on. Have a nice loss.

I am not quite able to describe in words how intensely disappointed I am. The worst part about it is that no one in this country will complain because... they won't even know to... Sigh, full confession. --> I actually did watch the Japanese version of the Nintendo Direct after the English one, and no, Iwata-san did NOT mention remapping at all. It got me nervous, but I held out hope. No one in Japan even knows about it. So what incentive will the big N even have. No one will bring it up. Such a seemingly minor detail like this is likely to go unnoticed.

As a last resort, could someone please tell/show me a picture of what specifically I am supposed to see in the Wii U home menu during N64 play just in case? I will give you all my internet affections if you can help me actually find it after all.

Do people really not care much about this issue? Google seemed to think so. Seriously, crazy_pills.gif here.

The end. Thank you for your patience. δ»ŠεΊ¦γ‹γ‚‰γ‚ˆγ‚γ—γγŠι‘˜γ„γŸγ—γΎγ™γ€‚
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:11:31 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: N64 button remapping on Wii U. Woo!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
Is this a Famicast question?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
That's weird. I wonder if remapping was something the western branches pushed for and ended up doing themselves, and NCL never bothered to add it in Japan.

Maybe that's why they get better VC releases than us, they don't have to worry about going through the arduous process of adding that feature.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »

Um. No, it isn't. Did I accidentally post this in the wrong place?

But I guess it could become a Famicast question if someone thinks it's a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:59:40 PM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
Wow, looks like you're a longtime member. Welcome back!

If I remember rightly, the menu is accessed by pressing ZR and ZL together, and from here you can do things like change controls and create a restore point. If you can't find any control options in this menu, then I guess you can't change controls in the Japanese versions.

The GCN adapter works only with Smash Bros. Wii U right now, it will not work with N64 games or other games.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »

Um. No, it isn't. Did I accidentally post this in the wrong place?

But I guess it could become a Famicast question if someone thinks it's a good idea.

I was just thinking they would probably be the best people to ask.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »
Oh     My     Goodness.

Jiminy.

Mr. Mop it up, take a load off, and let me just mop up for you whatever it was you were trying to clean. No, really, relax. I've got this. I'll go ahead and mop anything you need.

*opens can, "tsskh!"* Here, have a delicious CC Lemon. Need a back rub? Foot rub? Wanna take a look through my Xenoblade X artbook?

I need to thank you. γ‚γ‚ŠγŒγ¨γ†οΌγƒ’γƒƒγƒ—γ‚€γƒƒγƒˆγ‚’γƒƒγƒ—ε€§ε₯½γοΌThe Zs together totally worked! I found it. There is no indication on the home screen that I should have pressed those together.

Everyone, please disregard my wall o' grief up there. It was a false alarm. Whew. I guess I really overreacted.

Now I have a new question. If I transfer my Kirby 64, Mario 64, and Majora's Mask games to Wii U from my Wii, will they work? Or will it not have the option because they have to be played in Wii mode? (And isn't there some system where you can pay a dollar to not have to use Wii mode? Would that work?)

And, yeah, I registered here years and years ago. I lurk regularly. I guess having earth-shattering game crises paired with seeing Miis from all over Japan flood my Wii U home screen kinda brought out the "social" in me. It's been nine years since I bought a console or handheld retail so I felt back in the game, so to speak.

So, then. Can I remap Wii N64 stuff I move over?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:27:10 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 01:44:03 AM »
It only works with Wii U-native games, so you could do it with Mario 64 if you pay the $2 (or whatever the Japanese equivalent is) to upgrade it, but the others will have to wait until Nintendo gets around to releasing them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 04:03:35 AM »
I see. That's actually good news. I think I understand. Just to clarify, I definitely could move Mario 64 for example from a Wii to a Wii U, pay a small fee, and be certain to be able to remap buttons?
zzz...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 04:55:59 AM »
Right, because there's a Wii U version of it. Copying them over makes them available in Wii mode, and any game you have in Wii mode is eligible for a big discount when it's available on the Wii U eShop.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:15:30 AM »
Okay, but what if there isn't a Wii U version of it yet?

And another question as well: if I were to transfer my data, but then realized that I wanted to buy something (from any console) off of the original Wii VC that was only available there, could I transfer a second and third time?

And does monetary credit transfer, too? Sorry, lots of questions.
zzz...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
Okay, but what if there isn't a Wii U version of it yet?

If there isn't a Wii U version yet you'll only be able to play it in Wii mode, which gives you effectively the same functionality as playing on an actual Wii.

And another question as well: if I were to transfer my data, but then realized that I wanted to buy something (from any console) off of the original Wii VC that was only available there, could I transfer a second and third time?

I believe this is possible, but you can also buy those on the Wii U in Wii mode, because it allows you to access the same Wii Shop Channel.

And does monetary credit transfer, too? Sorry, lots of questions.

No, your Wii points don't transfer over, so you'll have to use them on the Wii they originated on.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
According to Nintendo's support website, Wii points do indeed transfer over to the Wii U. However, they remain Wii points which can be used only on the Wii shop in Wii mode, you can't turn Wii points into eShop credit.

You can transfer a second and third time, but if you're going to do that, you might as well just buy those games from the Wii shop channel in Wii mode on Wii U.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 09:40:22 PM »
I can confirm Wii points transfer over, they did for me, and I recently used them to buy Strong Bad episode 3.

Offline Dozy Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
Thanks, guys. Very, very informative.

Basically I get it now... too bad about the titles that aren't on the eshop yet. I hope they get around to releasing all 20 of the Japanese N64 titles that were on Wii. Not that I would buy them all, but it would be convenient for the customization issue...

I think... I won't transfer until Majora's Mask and Kirby 64 are on the Wii U VC (those two are the ones I've bought). And considering that Majora's Mask 3D came out recently, I won't hold my breath.

Did you know that the Japanese original version of MM doesn't have owl saving? !!! I just about flipped and never played it again. That is why the American version had only two save slots. They compromised one to add Owl saving functionality. I REALLY want the Wii U N64 VC restore point ability for MM. I refuse to play without it.

Sigh.

Edit: ...I also think... I use too many elipses...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:38:54 AM by Dozy Boy »
zzz...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
I have the same issue with the Donkey Kong Country games on the Wii VC. Though getting a proper Classic Controller helped the issue somewhat.

Did not know Mario 64 was one of the upgrade-able games or I might have selected it off of Club Nintendo with the last of my coins.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast