Author Topic: Greenpeace Clash with Nintendo Continues Over 'Playing Dirty' Report  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Greenpeace Clash with Nintendo Continues Over 'Playing Dirty' Report
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »
Greenpeace is concerned with e-Waste but here's the thing.  Who the hell wants a biodegradable videogame console?  I want my console to last.  They design these electronics to not easily break down so that they're durable.  Imagine if bacteria ate away at your console.  You would be pissed.

With consoles it is especially important because videogames are treated largely as disposable entertainment.  I consider it a good thing that my SNES appears to be indestructable because they don't make them anymore.  Sure we have stuff like the VC and retro compilations and re-releases.  But those aren't completely trustworthy.  Most game companies treat retro releases as cheap cash-ins so sometimes the emulation isn't up to snuff or they make some change to the re-release to make it more "modern".  Sometimes they just do an outright sh!tty job of it.  And sometimes there are licencing issues like how Nintendo removed Kawasaki logos from Wave Race 64 or how games like Goldeneye are in limbo.  And of course there is a whole bunch of games from defunct companies or that for whatever reason the rights holder chooses not to re-release.  Owning old videogame consoles is a necessity for anyone who doesn't consider gaming to be disposable entertainment.  So to us non-biodegradable super electronics that can survive nuclear blasts are a good thing.  In some cases if fans don't keep that old hardware working that game will just outright disappear.