Author Topic: So My 3DS Broke...  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
So My 3DS Broke...
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
Well, I've had it since launch, and it's always been fine up until now, but last night the "A" button on my 3DS randomly stopped working. It just doesn't register. Now, when you first turn on the system it works for about five seconds, but after that -- nothing. Does anyone know of an easy fix for this, or am I gonna have to plop down my 85$ and send it to Nintendo for repairs?
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: So My 3DS Broke...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Could just be dirt or something, but it seems more complicated if it runs for a few minutes then stops altogether (assuming you're talking about the A button). Might be a bad capacitor...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
Sounds like a post office trip to Nintendo. Either that or a 1 hour drive to a repair center if your as lucky/unlucky as me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
I'm leaning towards using this as an opportunity to jump on the XL bandwagon, but I still hate to have a broke 3DS just lying around. Maybe I could be a dick and sneakily trade it in to GameStop...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
Usually they will check a system to make sure it works. If they try it and see the A button doesnt work, they might still accept it (but offer a lot less, like maybe $20)
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:48:50 PM »
I'm leaning towards using this as an opportunity to jump on the XL bandwagon, but I still hate to have a broke 3DS just lying around. Maybe I could be a dick and sneakily trade it in to GameStop...
don't forget to file a police report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »

If he gets a 3DS XL first, he can just do a system transfer (which would also preserve the game saves of any digital games he has).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »

If he gets a 3DS XL first, he can just do a system transfer (which would also preserve the game saves of any digital games he has).
did you read the original post? the system is basically dead,

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
I might could complete a transfer with just the stylus. And also, I could get a brand new original 3DS on eBay for the same price as the repair. Would it be worth the extra 70 bucks or so to get the XL?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »

did you read the original post? the system is basically dead,

Did YOU read the original post? The system is fine, the A button just doesn't work. You can do a system transfer without it.

Glad0s, to me it's not worth it. I think the bigger screen is nice, but it's not enough for me to consider getting the 3DS XL. I know some others do think it's worth it. If I were you, I would look at the changes they made for the XL and think if you find the upgrades worth the extra money.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
i did read it and that is not the impression i got

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »
i did read it and that is not the impression i got

What do you mean? He flat out says that the only problem with it is that the A button doesn't work. Then I told you that you can do a system transfer without the A button. Therefore, the best solution if he wants a 3DS XL, then he would be smart to do a system transfer. For one, it would save him the trouble of filing a police report, getting a copy of it, sending it to Nintendo, then downloading the digital games. With a system transfer, he can transfer the games right away (not wait a week or two) AND keep the save files of those games (instead of starting fresh).

Of course, I would consider calling Nintendo and trying to see if they would repair it for free (sometimes they will repair a system for free even if the warranty is expired) before trying anything else. If that didn't work, I would get another 3DS or 3DS XL, do a system transfer, then trade in the old one (even if the A button doesn't work, you could get some money for it).

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »
Yeah, the only problem is that the A button doesn't work; everything else is fine. Although now the button is starting to work more often; instead of just working for the first five seconds the system is on, now it works in small intervals. So out of every four clicks or so, it registers.

Weird.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
I haven't seen the inside of a 3DS in a while, but I imagine each button has a capacitor and the one for the A button is failing. If you hold it for more than just a tap does it register?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
No, holding it makes no difference.

And it seems like every time I try the system out, the button works progressively better with every time I try. Straange.