Author Topic: so i have to re-download all my VC on my new Wii U (Virtual Wii) ?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
I transferred everything over, I didn't use the SD card that had the downloaded games on it because it said all my data will be deleted. So now i have a 2nd sd card with all my games on it but neither wii or wii u (virtual wii) will play them. So I have to redownload all the old games from the crappy wii shop store. UGH

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: so i have to re-download all my VC on my new Wii U (Virtual Wii) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
Yup.

Welcome to my world.  I have 30/~100 left to download.

Mind you, I already had to do this once, when my Wii was repaired/replaced, with everything wiped from it.

Damn lazy Pikmin.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
no way to download several things at once like 3DS and que 10 at a time?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
Yeah, make your wife sit there with the remote and click for you. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
How much space does Wii mode on Wii U give you for Wii stuff? Is it limited to the same as a real Wii has, or do you have the entire Wii U internal memory open to you?

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
How much space does Wii mode on Wii U give you for Wii stuff? Is it limited to the same as a real Wii has, or do you have the entire Wii U internal memory open to you?

I would assume so.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
Quick check - while I'm doing nothing but downloading Wii stuff anyway, I'm redownloading all the freebies onto my old white Wii that I copied everything off of.

My Wii U says it has 1642 open blocks while my Wii says it has 1527 open blocks.  Of course, the Wii has stuff like the news channel and such installed on it.  So my guess is that the Wii U internal storage is limited to the same amount the original Wii is.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
20 to go....

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Are friend codes reset too?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shredder565

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
I transferred everything over, I didn't use the SD card that had the downloaded games on it because it said all my data will be deleted. So now i have a 2nd sd card with all my games on it but neither wii or wii u (virtual wii) will play them. So I have to redownload all the old games from the crappy wii shop store. UGH

how do you find all the old games on the wii u VC?  so far all i've found are new games... none of the wii vc ones

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »

how do you find all the old games on the wii u VC?  so far all i've found are new games... none of the wii vc ones

You go into the Wii Channel ("Wii Mode"), then go to the Wii Shop Channel like you would on the Wii. Right now you can't buy Virtual Console games on the Wii U's eShop.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
It was my understanding that Wii Mode's "internal" memory is actually stored as a 512MB file on the SD card.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shredder565

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
[quote author=TJ

You go into the Wii Channel ("Wii Mode"), then go to the Wii Shop Channel like you would on the Wii. Right now you can't buy Virtual Console games on the Wii U's eShop.

thank you :)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
Remember how we had to go to some options menu to get our Ambassador games on 3DS and do it each time for all 20 games?

Good times.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »
It was my understanding that Wii Mode's "internal" memory is actually stored as a 512MB file on the SD card.

Nope, part of the Wii U memory is partitioned for Wii mode. The 512MB file on the SD card only comes into play during the transfer process where the transfer app makes a virtual Wii internal memory file so it can transfer everything perfectly fine as-is.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »
I had to redownload everything, too. I had around 60 titles (mostly VC, a handful of WiiWare and one or two VirtualArcade) and spent an hour or so downloading everything. For whatever reason, the first LostWinds seems to have been completely removed from the Wii Shop (and can not be transferred from the Wii to the Wii U). Other "delisted" titles still showed up in my download history and redownloaded fine. LW is nowhere to be found.
PEACE--->Rhoq