Author Topic: NWR's WorldWide Test Kitchen  (Read 196271 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: NWR's WorldWide Test Kitchen
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
I gotta say that it turned out pretty damn tasty and I would use this recipe again.
It was pretty juicy and flavored all over.
The billion dollar question is, how close was it to KFC flavor?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
I made too many substitutions and one omission to really be able to compare it (I also only used 1/3 the amount of paprika it asked for). I also didn't have the recipe for their batter or if they pre-soak their chicken in buttermilk or not.

I can say it was pretty damn tasty though and that I will  be using the recipe again.
Next time I will be using my mom's deep fryer though, so I hope it turns out even better.

p.s. there is a rumor that that KFC recipe was actually a Wendy's recipe, but no one can be sure.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Bacon Wrapped Chicken & Vegetables
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
Made a new Chicken dish the other night.

Bacon Wrapped Chicken & Vegetables

Ingredients:
Chicken (I used all thighs)
Bacon (1 strip per chicken)
Onion (chopped)
Potatoes (diced or quartered)
Carrots (chopped)
Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Basil (flakes)
Rosemary (crushed)
Adobo Seasoning (I didn't have any of this, so I left it out)
Olive oil or Italian Dressing (I used Italian Dressing)

1. Preheat oven to 400o while you chop your potatoes, onions and carrots.
put them in a bowl and season them with salt and pepper, then dress & mix with Italian Seasoning.

-for 8 pieces of chicken, I cut up 4 red potatoes into 12 pieces each, and chopped about 1/3 of a large yellow onion into small pieces.

2. Wash and then season your chicken with all the seasonings on both sides, (feel free to add seasonings to your liking)

then set aside

3. Take 1 strip of bacon for each chicken and cut in half. Lay 2 half strips across top of chicken (unless you want to wrap the entire thing, then use 2 whole strips per piece). Lay your 2/3 your veggie mix across the bottom of the pan. spread chicken out onto of veggies, then put rest of veggies inbetween the chicken pieces, saving a few onions bits to spread across teh top of the bacon on your chicken.

4. Cook in oven uncovered for about 1 hour.

5. Dinner is served - Bacon Wrapped Chicken with a side of Vegetables to match.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
That looks good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
It tasted good too. There was also lots of "juice" to drizzle all over everything if you get worried about the chicken, bacon, or veggies drying out at any point.
It was good and really easy.

Are you gonna post anymore of your Lemonade Insanity recipes or do we have to visit the site for the rest?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
I should post some more, I need to add some more to the site as well. Busy with other web jobs the past couple of months.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

Ingredients:
Spaghetti Noodles
~1 lb of beef
1/4 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
1/4 Onion (diced) - optional
1 Jar of Spaghetti Sauce (flavor of your choice)
Salt & Pepper
Garlic Powder
Minced Onion
Italian Seasoning
Chili Powder
Vegetable Oil

Serves 4- 6 people

1. Brown your beef and add in your chopped onion & Green Bell Pepper. continually chop your meat down into tiny bits to avoid having big meat chunks

Season with everything to taste (except Italian Seasoning).

2. Put on your pot of water and add about 1 to 2 cap fulls of Vegetable Oil (to keep the noodles from sticking to each other or the pot) and some salt to the water

3. Bring the water to a boil and add your noodles

4. Now that you meat is browned, drain the meat and then add your Spaghetti sauce (I used Mushroom & Garlic Ragu). Season your sauce with everything (except Italian Seasoning) again to taste. Cook sauce till it starts to pop, and then lower the heat and add Italian Sasoning.
4.5 Drain your noodles, rinse with cool water.

5. Dinner is served
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:22:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2011, 12:22:43 AM »
BnM, your posts makes me hungry and remind me that I can not cook.  ;D
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »
A couple things - for full flavor, you shouldn't drain your past with cool water, place it in a colander (or strainer), and then put it directly in your bowl/plate. Also, a lot of people recommend putting oil in the water, but if you don't stir the pasta, it's going to stick, so it's basically an unnecessary step (the oil tends to stay at the top of the water anyway).

I'm not trying to knock you, I'm sure it tastes delicious, but if you want to really do it right, you should make your own sauce. It's pretty easy, and you have complete control over the flavor. Use tomato puree if you want a smooth sauce, or use diced/crushed/whole tomatoes (fresh, or from a can) for marinara. Add sautéed diced onion, mushrooms, fresh garlic, basil, or whatever you want, along with a salt (a lot) and pepper to taste (and other good flavorings like thyme or oregano - best to add these flavors to anything you'll be putting in the sauce, like onions or mushrooms). Good stuff, better than any corn syrup-based horse **** you'll find in the store.

Also, if you're going to make meat sauce this way, then I would recommend a relatively lean ground beef (especially since you suggested to drain the grease, which essentially makes it lean anyway), around 90-93% fat free, and leaving the grease in the beef and adding it all to the sauce, or draining it directly into the sauce, simmering, then adding the beef a little bit later.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:26:30 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
Well, well, well, looks who's THE chef! Brandogg throw down some recipes.

I've been thinking I need to make my own marinara sauce.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »
Actually I use to never add the oil, it's something new(something my girl always does) and it helps because I don't need to watch or stir the noodles. I also don't usually rinse it in cold water, but always strain it, but I wanted to serve it quick and it was just a little cold water to cool it enough to eat immediately. Aaaand I almost never remember to drain the grease from the meat before adding the sauce (that's why I bolded it; more of a message to myself). But I figured if I was gonna share, I would add in all the stuff I do (I almost never make anything the exact same way twice... at least not in a row), even if it's not the what I do every time.

But honestly, if you got skillz & knowledge, please share it with the forum. I might be willing to attempt my own sauce (if you walk me through it ;)).

Next thing I plan on adding is some Stuffed Mushroom (Alfredo)
photo N/A (too low res and not the best pic)

or some Salmon Parmesan.

I didn't make either of them, therefore I don't have all the necessary pics, but it's coming soon. All I have is the final result pics.
Mushroom pic was after we had already devoured most of them. When I took the pic it wasn't the most appealing looking thing anymore.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2011, 01:22:59 AM »
I wasn't trying to put down your meal or anything like that. I'm a chef at an Italian restaurant though, so I try to share my knowledge (or opinions, I guess). I might write down exactly what I do next time I make some sauce (I make meatballs too, but that's pretty easy - beef, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper, then whatever seasoning you want) and pass it along. I made a real simple pomodoro at work today too. I just roasted some garlic cloves in oil, then took some of the oil and the garlic and sautéed some halved cherry tomatoes then added fresh basil, salt, pepper and tomato liquor (or the juice that sinks to the bottom of a container or diced fresh tomatoes). It's real good and (aside from roasting the garlic) only takes about 1 minute to make.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
YES. Please share.

Some tips from an actual chef. I admit that I don't really know how to cook and am just winging it most of the time. I emulate things I've seen made (on TV or in person) and add what I know and/or what sounds good and so far everything has turned out great ::knocks on wood::, but to learn from others that actually know what they are doing would be great. That is why I started this thread though, to find out what is happening in everyones kitchen so I (*& everyone else) can pick and choose what I (*) would like to try or adapt to what I already.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2011, 02:42:35 AM »
Oh yeah, we just took this thread up a notch. BAM! SPICE WEASEL!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Well one of the problems is, anything I make at work is typically designed with getting at least 10 servings or so out of it. One thing you can do (assuming you like garlic) is just roast some garlic - put a handful of fresh cloves in a sautée pan (by the way, if you want to type that "é" you hold Alt, and type 0233 on the number pad) with enough oil (blended oil, straight olive oil will be overpowering), then cover it with some foil and throw it in the oven for a good 30 minutes or so, being careful not to burn it. Then use a fork or a spoon to smear the garlic (it should be soft), and put it (along with the oil) in a container and put it in your fridge, then you can put in in any dish that you desire. It should stay good for at least a week or so.

Corrected  - it's Alt+0233
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:28:23 PM by Brandogg »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Just a quick thing, but "Alt 0223" produces ß.

I am not much of a cook, I wish I was. I pretty much have to stick to recipes.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
Last friday I made 3 different types of shish kabobs jordanian style (chicken, lamb, steak), dolma, fatayer (stuffed with a mix of crab spinach butter garlic and feat), a roast duck, turkey linguine, salad and lots of rice.

I had 12 or so people to serve so I went all out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:13 PM »
And didn't think to serve us any pics of the process or the final result?

I'm starving man, feed me.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
I've never seen crab fatayer... do you have a recipe?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
Did I say crab? I meant shrimp, though crab would probably be a lot better.

Here's how I made it.

Sautee garlic and sweet onions in butter
Add frozen spinach, tomatoes, and fresh mint
Add a bit of water and bring to a boil
Toss in some chopped shrimp, lemon, honey and a bit of crushed peppers
Simmer

Get some pastry puff sheets and roll them out thin. Take a small bowl and start making little circles of dough. You can mash the sheet back into a ball to get the most out of it.

Take a little circle of dough and wipe some egg wash (egg, water) down half of it.
Take your filling and with a spoon strain the food on the side then set it down in the middle of the circle.
Add feta and fold, creasing the outer edge with a fork.

Heat up some oil and fry that bitch up.

BnM I got a video of it somewhere.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
that sounds pretty good and I've been meaning to buy some shrimp.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
I can't actually view those. Says I need to log in. I am logged in to Dropbox, but can't view your pics.

ypu can host them on NWR or drop quick upload to www.imgur.com

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
Hmmm my bad

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »
wow yeah, looks good.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).