Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217371 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #675 on: October 31, 2009, 12:59:51 PM »
Soul Caliber IV wasn't a bad game by any means, it just wan't anything to get too excited over, or bring up in an article as an example of Wii owners getting the shaft.  I think the loss of any version of Street Fighter 4 after the 360/PS3 are on their way to a second iteration of it is a bigger void.
Street Fighter has skipped the past two Nintendo generations, so this is no big surprise.

Capcom has more or less made up for it with Tatsunoku vs. Capcom. Then again, Capcom is more or less dead to me since their GOOD developers have left (Platinum), they can't be assed enough to make PROPER Wii games (lol ports sell lololol), and they didn't advertise Zack & Wiki enough. Capcom is seriously the biggest 3rd party troll this generation.

I don't know about that.  I think they have stiff competition from Ubisoft for that title.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
That's a big question mark right there though. I think UBI realized that the Nintendo fanbase treats them like a meme and they had to put EFFORT into their Wii offerings.

Capcom, however, is driving right into that meme and drive off a cliff in the process.

Being a Nintendo fan allows you to twist symbolism into mocking the idiotic elements of gaming.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
Nintendo Drags U.S. Video-Game Market Lower as Wii Sales Slump
Dec. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. led the U.S. video- game market to its eighth drop in nine months after sales of the motion-sensing Wii console tumbled, narrowing its lead over Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360.
[...]
Wii sales have fallen for nine consecutive months in the U.S. after a 20 percent cut in the price of Nintendo’s flagship machine failed to revive sales.

Ummm wat!?

Nintendo outsold PS3 and Xbox360 yet they are narrowing their lead?
Wii sales fall 9 straight months AFTER a 20% cut that happened at the end of Oct. 2009?
What freakin day is it? Where the hell is my calender?

WTF is going on here?
Atleast Reggie tries to cash a reality check....
“The record year of 2008 is very difficult to overlap,” Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview yesterday. “I look at our performance and see it’s right on track with where we believed it would be.”
[...]
Nintendo’s Wii has been the top-selling console every month except one since its debut in 2006. More than 23 million have been sold in the U.S. in that time, Fils-Aime said. The company’s DS handheld device set a sales record last month at 1.7 million, he said. By comparison, Sony’s PlayStation Portable sold 293,900, according to NPD.

Then they quote this to show how dissapointing it is for the Wii to have outsold the competition for 35 of the last 36 months
Electronic Arts Inc. Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello, head of the world’s second-biggest game publisher, said Nintendo could revive sales by further dropping its price to $150, he said.

“A lot of us are disappointed by the overall performance of the Wii,” Riccitiello said yesterday at the UBS AG Global Media & Communications Conference in New York.

to which Reggie only has to say
The Wii sold 2.04 million units in November 2008. The Wii has outsold Microsoft by 6 million units and the PS3 by 13 million units in the U.S., Fils-Aime said.

“This industry is cyclical in that a system’s sales peak in the third calendar year,” Fils-Aime said. “The fact that we’ve seen a decline year on year is standard.”

Am I doing this right? or am I seeing it all wrong?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:01:09 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 11, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
Remember, Nintendo doing well is bad for the game industry so the industry tries to change that.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »
Remember, Nintendo doing well is bad for the game industry since media hounds and developer trolls need internet hits in order to survive.
Fixed.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »
Why does rooting for Nintendo feel like voting for Ross Perot?

Please don't make this political. It's a simply analogy
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 11, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »
Because we fans (which means basically us in the NWR forums) have more common sense then the gaming media and developers?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
I think you misunderstood.

What I'm saying is, no matter how much money Nintendo has and how much money they obtain, they still come out on the bottom.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:00:19 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »
Wow, BlackNMild, I think you may have found the first actual case of media bias in this entire topic.  If this article were written 2 months ago, I could understand it because Wii sales were plummeting...but this was posted today after the Wii had strong October and November sales.  WTF?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 11, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
Wow, that really is something else. I wish Reggie would look at that and acknowledge it at next years E3. I just want him to stand in front of the press and say something what Black and Mild quoted up there. There are More Wiis in peoples homes than ANY other next gen home console right now! This industry baffles me how it works sometimes. At least square is giving us a real epic adventure along with Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest 10. The last 2 games at least come from being number one, but nothing even remotely similar from the other companies. Why is that?

Out side of Mario, Metroid, and Zelda(unlikely) I hope we get games that will blow us away, and not just from Nintendo. Games that could see at least a million in sales.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Monster Hunter 3 = Capcom

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #686 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
Crystal Bearers is not an epic adventure.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 11, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
It would seem that Tony Hawk of all people expresses an opinion I have about many reviews of Wii games:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2208571

Now, I haven't played Mr. Hawk's game, and judging by its scores it may not actually be very good. But I definitely feel that certain reviewers go into their reviews with the intention of ripping the game apart. One need look no further than Wii Music to see that this sort of thing does happen.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 11, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
"an overpriced asco"

"RIDE is a bold departure for the franchise, which kicked o in 1999"

I on't know wht to mke of thes eviews either
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #689 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »
needs diting

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 12, 2009, 03:03:02 AM »
Look what Matt Casmassina wrote over at IGN. And I do agree with allot of it.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1054621p1.html
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #691 on: December 12, 2009, 03:14:41 AM »
You're all forgotten and abandoned Nintendo customers.  Feel free to sell your Wiis and leaving gaming to the superior customers of superior systems.  Selling your items to GameStop will also help spur that sector of the economy.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 12, 2009, 03:29:12 AM »
"With all due respect to Miyamoto, a proven gaming genius and innovator, that's just lazy"

Covered that already

That is one lazy game designer.

It makes my blood run cold, the things they say to one another.

He is shocked, SHOCKED, Nintendo does not emphasize graphics

Frankly my dear I don't give a darn.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 12, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »

Nice to finally see someone at a major Nintendo gaming site (and make no mistake: Matt Casmassina is probably the biggest proponent of Wii at IGN, and yes I know RFN handled this question in a recent show) goes after Nintendo for how frickin' lazy they are when it comes to doing any more than the bare minimum with their Wii products (for the most part.  As the article notes, there are a couple notable exceptions in Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess).  It's infuriating, because when Nintendo goes all-out it is truly a sight to behold.  It makes me wonder just how much creative energy gets snuffed at Nintendo because of tight budget constraints.

Sadly, it's also hard to fault them for doing this because clearly their lowest common denominator demographic doesn't care.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:44:13 AM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 12, 2009, 04:21:28 AM »

Sadly I have a similar sentiment. Nintendo used to feel more artistic but now it's all business, becoming number one has been a very bad thing for them as they now do as little as possible. The Nintendo of the Nintendo 64 era was the greatest because they had to put full effort into their games in order to compete with Sony. They've now regressed into NES-era Nintendo.

For me the Wii is really just the lesser of three evils.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 12, 2009, 04:29:23 AM »
"With all due respect to Miyamoto, a proven gaming genius and innovator, that's just lazy"

I doubt Miyamoto would code that anyway. Would you rather see NSMBWii in 2010?

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 12, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »
I dunno about Matt Casmassina, he's the IGN "nintendo guy", but every time I see something from him, it's bitching and moaning -- you'd think he was Ian Sane!

I got the feeling he got forced onto the nintendo beat, and doesn't really like it ...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 12, 2009, 05:29:48 AM »
Actually I think he got stuck on the Nintendo Beat and wants to play games on the PS360 instead.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 12, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »
Actually I think he got stuck on the Nintendo Beat and wants to play games on the PS360 instead.

Actually, he's Editor-At-Large now, so he can do whatever games he wants.  That he still goes on Nintendo Voice Chat (the IGN Nintendo podcast, which they put out about once every 1-2 months now) and reviews Wii games I think shows that he's still a big Nintendo fan.  I think he just gets irritated with Nintendo because (especially as a journalist who has worked the Nintendo beat for years) they have so much talent and so many resources, yet won't use them to their fullest.  That's the crux of most of his gripes with Nintendo, from Voice Chat to Online to now the lack of production values.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #699 on: December 12, 2009, 06:18:22 AM »
So Matt's been going after Nintendo 2+ years now (as if his comments had real weight, hi Wii Music owners).  Woulda been nice to have him railing against 3rd parties for 2 years in a row.  Where are those editorials?  Afraid of cutting ties with publishers?  (must be nice getting free video games for an entire decade, even if you don't frequent the hookers)  Now all of a sudden it's bad for Nintendo to do the "bare minimum," despite delivering product that customers obviously desired.  People like Ian have been begging for a new 2D console Mario for ages.  BAM!  Wish granted, get back in your luxurious gamer couch and entertainment setup, Ian.

Even when Nintendo was going "all out" on GC, IGN criticized them for not selling much and that they would eventually go 3rd party.  It was normal to criticize how much GC lagged in sales back when "sales mattered," before Nintendo captured the lead, leading to several editorials.

It's like there's no way Nintendo can just BE.  Any position is worthy of criticism.

Behind in game sales?  How about maturing-up or appealing to the "mainstream consumer?"  LOL look how that "backfired"
Behind in system sales?  You suck no matter how many games you make.
Game release drought?  You suck when 3rd parties suck.  Nevermind that it takes time for you to go "all-out."
In the lead?  Must've dumbed yourself down.
Game is popular?  All people who like it suck.
Still in the lead?  Sales of non-gamer non-customers don't matter.  On second thought, sales don't matter.

Why is it bad for Nintendo to have a few games that probably had "lower" budgets when 3rd parties got to squeeze out SOFT-SERVED ASS-CREAM with at best "no" comment, and at worst a scathing indictment of NINTENDO for the 3rd parties' awful games?

What is "all-out?"  Spending more cash, more dev time on graphical assets?  Serious-game textures?  Hours of voice acting?  More stuff than it needs to be an instant gem?

Plus, when nintendo goes all-out, 3rd parties are shut out.  3rd parties "can't compete" with Nintendo's blockbusters, so they reposition their own products to a more favorable climate and schedule.  However, we often see these 3rd parties don't have their own blockbusters to reposition or speak of -- but that too is somehow Nintendo's fault.

So does Matt's concern mean Wii owners are RIGHT to scorn third party sub-efforts because, "Think of what they could've done if they spent more money or if this game were a main series installment"... is now a valid reason to dump on Nintendo?  Just WHAT solution is all this trying to converge on?  Nintendo go all-out in everything the possibly do?  Does Nintendo, as a company, have the infrastructure (need more product in less time?  increase staff and real estate) to do that without risking painful "restructuring" down the road?  Sony, MS, Activision, and EA seem like companies that have went all-out on "various" endeavors... risk-reward followed by losses & layoffs.

This would have the be the best site for Nintendo to visit. Only like 20 of us really discuss anything about the games, and it's all gold! I speak as if I go to many other gaming forums, which I don't but my point still stands. We are the only truely aware people on the video game internet. Well not even that, the world!

u sure bout that?