Author Topic: Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?  (Read 28616 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Link's Awakening - Remake, Re-release or Direct Sequel campaign?
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2019, 02:43:19 AM »
I've been avoiding any discussions about this until I've had a chance to dig into it.  I've only got through the first dungeon due to time limits (and being so dang obsessed with that freaking Goose game), but so far, I'm loving it.

One major bummer, for me, is when keys drop, chests appear, stairs appear, etc. the game 'stops', plays a jingle, and draws your focus to it.  It really pulls you out of the game, versus the events just happening immediately without pause.  On the flip side, more buttons means less time is spent screwing around in menus, but at least there I am in control and doing something.  Here, it's just standing around waiting...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
I didn’t notice that when playing, but now that I think about it, I’m never going to not notice it.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2019, 01:07:52 AM »
I've found your reaction pretty fascinating and wonder how many other first time LA players might feel the same way.

From thoughts I've seen on other forums it seems to be quite divisive.  The majority opinion in my experience is praise though. 

I have no doubt that if I had played it in previous releases I'd be drawn in a lot more with the nostalgia factor.  I can certainly understand why classic players love it.  But it's just not for me.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »
I've found your reaction pretty fascinating and wonder how many other first time LA players might feel the same way.

From thoughts I've seen on other forums it seems to be quite divisive.  The majority opinion in my experience is praise though. 

I have no doubt that if I had played it in previous releases I'd be drawn in a lot more with the nostalgia factor.  I can certainly understand why classic players love it.  But it's just not for me.

Pretty much the same here. Playing it for the 1st time on Switch, Link's Awakening just feels like nothing special. The puzzles and action were better in the Oracle games, and those were on the GameBoy as well (albeit the GBC).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
Finished the game (aside from some of the chamber stuff) and - loved it.

It fixed a lot of issues, introduced few more (the 'pausing' situation, the extra heart containers and bottles for fairies seems completely unnecessary, but I haven't played through Hero mode yet, the figurines feels like a tacted on, meaningless sidequest, and a few other things that just made me wonder why they did that, like changing Mad Batter to Lil' Devil) - but it is a solid remake.

I fully admit, I am quite nostalgic for the game.  This was the first Zelda game where the entire plot wasn't a huge text dump at the beginning of the game.  You started with a teaser and the plot unfolded around you through character interactions, the enviroment, and even the boss battles.  You could play the intro and the end credits of Link to the Past and know the basic plot of the entire game.  You could not do that with Link's Awakening.  And the world of characters seemed so alive and vibrant - all tucked inside that tiny Game Boy cartridge.

I still say, this game, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker are the top three Zelda games.  And this game is still the peak of what gaming should be.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2020, 01:37:40 AM »

Pretty much the same here. Playing it for the 1st time on Switch, Link's Awakening just feels like nothing special. The puzzles and action were better in the Oracle games, and those were on the GameBoy as well (albeit the GBC).

Never played the original (never did buy the Gameboy cart), and really enjoyed the Switch port.  No nostalgia other than exposure to other Zelda titles.  Yes it wasn't "console grade" Zelda, but still felt polished.  I never spoiled the original game, and after completing the Switch title and reading about the improvements... oh boy, I don't think I could handle the inventory management of the Gameboy version.... it sounds like a nightmare.