Author Topic: Sega Releasing Wi-Fi Enabled Virtual Console Title  (Read 4008 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Sega Releasing Wi-Fi Enabled Virtual Console Title
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

Wi-Fi competitive play will be included for puzzler Puyo Puyo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25062

Sega announced that a Wi-Fi enabled Virtual Console version of the puzzle game Puyo Puyo will be released in Japan for the service this spring. The 1992 arcade version will be released for the download service and will support competitive multiplayer over Wi-Fi, enabling one-on-one matches. The title will be priced at 800 Wii Points.

Andriasang.com's translation of the Inside Games article notes that it is the first Virtual Console title to be released with Wi-Fi support.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Releasing Wi-Fi Enabled Virtual Console Title
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »
I'm really shocked that they haven't done an updated Puyo Puyo on WiiWare yet, actually...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
That is really cool. I think this could only be done for an arcade title, as those have been shown to have more specialized emulators on VC.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »
I like the sound of this! Kirby's Avalanche got me hooked on Puyo Puyo.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
This could be a good sign of added Wi-Fi multiplayer support for 3DS Virtual Console titles.

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »
OOOOOOOHHHH HECK YEAH!!!

Frickin Sega of all folks to do it first on a Nintendo console.

I thought there were emulators on PC that allowed NES and NES games to go online too.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:39:07 AM »
Its the first. Hopefully not the last.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
I still don't know what Puyo Puyo is. Is it the Japanese name for the Bust-A-Move series?

I thought there were emulators on PC that allowed NES and NES games to go online too.
There are. As far as I can tell, they work by transferring the controller presses of the second player to the host, so the game will interpret it as if a second player were playing on the console. It isn't a very stable method, and split-screen games become de-synced too easily, so it isn't good enough for a commercial product.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:55:14 PM by Mop it up »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »
No it isn't Mop it up. Puyo Puyo is basically like Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnic Mean Bean Machine on the SNES and Genesis respectivly.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
I still don't know what Puyo Puyo is. Is it the Japanese name for the Bust-A-Move series?
Puyo Puyo is Puyo Pop. It's been called that for a while, but other localizations include Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.
There are. As far as I can tell, they work by transferring the controller presses of the second player to the host, so the game will interpret it as if a second player were playing on the console. It isn't a very stable method, and split-screen games become de-synced too easily, so it isn't good enough for a commercial product.
Some emulators do memory copy (usually only feasible for small, pre-identified memory areas). There was even bridge software that even made SSBM playable online.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »

No, they are different series. The Puyo Puyo games are from Sega (originally Compile) and have been released her under names like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche (although some more recent entries have used the Japanese name). It involves moving pairs of colored blobs that drop down into groups of 4. The Bust-a-Move series (also called Puzzle Bobble) is from Square Enix (originally Taito) involves shooting colored bubbles up to a group of bubbles on the top of the screen to eliminate them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »
Puyo Puyo Fever would be the most recent one you could get since you don't have any handhelds.Its for the Gamecube.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »

No, they are two different series.  Puyo Puyo--also known as Puyo Pop--has been released before as licensed games such as Kirby's Avalanche on SNES and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on Genesis.  Both are available on Virtual Console for 800 points each.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but no Puyo Puyo is Puyo Pop and when Pop goes the Puyo then the Puyo goes Pop.

... I mean it's been licensed out and converted into such games as Kirby's Avalanche on the Super Nintendo and Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine on the Sega Genesis. Maybe you've heard of those before? Pretty soon you should be able to find all 3 on the Virtual Console.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
No it isn't Mop it up. Puyo Puyo is basically like Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnic Mean Bean Machine on the SNES and Genesis respectivly.

Puyo Puyo is Puyo Pop. It's been called that for a while, but other localizations include Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

No, they are different series. The Puyo Puyo games are from Sega (originally Compile) and have been released her under names like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche (although some more recent entries have used the Japanese name). It involves moving pairs of colored blobs that drop down into groups of 4. The Bust-a-Move series (also called Puzzle Bobble) is from Square Enix (originally Taito) involves shooting colored bubbles up to a group of bubbles on the top of the screen to eliminate them.

No, they are two different series.  Puyo Puyo--also known as Puyo Pop--has been released before as licensed games such as Kirby's Avalanche on SNES and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on Genesis.  Both are available on Virtual Console for 800 points each.

Bunch of nerds
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:53 PM »
Does anyone else want to answer my question in a slightly different fashion?

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
Bust-A-Move (known as Puzzle Bobble outside North America) and Puyo Puyo (known as Puyo Pop outside Japan) are two different series of games.

THIS is probably the game you were thinking of, where you pop bubbles:
 - Bust A Move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrEbsvWM3Jo

--------

Puyo Puyo = Japanese name for the series
Puyo Pop = name used outside Japan

As for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche...Same game.
Different branding.
Different consoles.

Both games were just slightly retouched, localized versions of the Japan-exclusive arcade game, which went on to be ported onto several game consoles (but still Japan-exclusive).
 - Puyo Puyo (arcade) Mega Drive version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62eqLn77Ro&feature=related
 - Arcade version (a look at the characters): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v29OjLmwBU

Kirby's Avalance (Super Nintendo) = Puyo Puyo (arcade) with Kirby, villains, and music from the Kirby series
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPfYSH0dE_I

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Sega Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear) = same game, but with Dr. Robotnik, robot villains, and different music.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQYjaOmqEI

You can find Puyo Puyo/Puyo Pop games on just about every other console available, and they're some of the best puzzle games around (unfortunately, a lot of them are Japan-exclusive).

The last game to be localized outside Japan is Puyo Pop Fever for PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, GBA, DS, PC, and PSP.
 - Puyo Pop Fever for PS2, Xbox, PSP, and GBA were only released in Europe and Japan.
 - The PC and Dreamcast versions are Japan-exclusive, but can be set to English text and/or voices.
 - If you're in North America, you have either the Gamecube or DS versions to go after. I totally recommend playing this.  It's fairly cheap. (about $7 for the GC version, and $5 for the DS version)
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgDGNswshpk&feature=related

The latest game, Puyo Puyo 7, is on Wii, DS and PSP, but they're Japan-exclusive.  Only the Wii version (4-players) and DS version (8-Players) have online modes.  You won't understand the story, but Japanese isn't needed to play the actual game.
 - Puyo Puyo 7:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrhLYm-vFKU

Random Puyo Anime Clips:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_4AKl4SiRY&feature=related
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JlwULcfIao&feature=related

There's also a bunch of RPGs on numerouse consoles, but they're all Japan-exclusive...though there have been a few that were fan-translated.
 - Madou Monogatari: Hanamaru Daiyouchienji (Super Famicom):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk964-gNxDo
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:52:54 PM by JasonMaivia »