Author Topic: The 3DS eShop thread- This one actually does have variety!  (Read 14296 times)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The 3DS eShop thread- This one actually does have variety!
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »
I'm surprised we don't have a thread for this, considering it has much more variety, more frequent releases, and arguably higher quality. Sure, we have to deal with the occasional botched localization and random DSiWare release, but it's generally a nicer place than the Wii U eShop.

I've listed a number of eShop games in the past that I'm quite fond of, some that have delightfully exceeded expectations and others that I think are pretty garbage. So let's share our favorite eShop games, shall we?

Personal essentials-
This is stuff that is pretty much exclusive to the system and fantastic.

Pushmo/Crashmo: Two of the best puzzle platformers on the system, if you have to get only one, don't. Buy both. Okay, go for Crashmo.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: One of the most expensive 3DS games or a damn good reason. This is a high quality title and one of the best Zelda-esque titles on the system.
SteamWorld Heist: Amazing strategy game with high replay value and addicting gameplay. Great atmosphere, too.
BoxBoy!: Speaking of great atmosphere, this game has nice, simple graphics and great isolated level mechanics.
Crimson Shroud: THE 3DS RPG, with lovely music, combat, and story. Fairly cheap!
The Keep: The SECOND 3DS RPG, with a high price but great challenge, production values, and combat.
The Starship Damrey: The best adventure game on 3DS, only playable once but truly amazing.
Pokemon Rumble World: nice, simple dungeon crawler with good progression. If you're looking for a slow Streetpass burn, this won't cost you a dime. Full price is 30 dollars, if you're a madman.
Mario and DK: Minis on the Move: hefty lemmings title with a TON of content.

"Might be your Cup of Tea"- these range from absolute personal favorites to satisfying experiences that you should only get if they sound really appealing to you OR if this is the only place you can get them.
Mutant Mudds: No longer exclusive, and still a bit pricey. But the 3D effect on this game is great and it's quite a bang for your buck. One of my favorite platformers.
Mighty Switch Force 1/2: While not exclusive per se, the graphics and switch effect look best on 3DS. MSF2 is absolutely masterful in level design.
Xeodrifter: A quite small, but satisfying Metroid-like. The price for entry is a bit high but it's replayable enough to deserve a spot.
VVVVVV: You can get it cheaper, but it's great on handhelds.
Attack of the Friday Monsters!: Adventure game with card battling mini game, it's chock-full of atmosphere, charm, and a wacky story. You really need to like this genre and Japan to get it.
Liberation Maiden: Crazy mech combat with Kid Icarus: Uprising style controls. Short, but sweet, and an achievement hunting style game.
Iron Combat: War in the Air: Longer and more Japanese than Liberation Maiden, and that's saying something. Mech combat with jet transformations and stat alterations. Come for gameplay, not story.
Gunman Clive 1/2: short, sweet Mega Man-ish action platformers. Dirt cheap, with second game having more problems than the first. However, the unlockable character in both games is amazing.
Fairune: You like Ys Book I and II? Have Ys lite, but with achievement hunting and a badass final boss.
Excave 1/2: Nice loot-based action RPGs, the first being a bit light on content but the second having an absurd postgame.
Moon Chronicles: don't have the original? Now is your chance to enjoy this solid and satisfying portable FPS.
Sakura Samurai: Punch-Out from hell, features money grinding, deteriorating weapons, and movement mechanics. If you enjoy punishing yourself, go for it.
HarmoKnight: The rhythm game on 3DS, featuring a bit of repetitive music but exploration of specific styles. Long campaign, which can be effectively doubled by mastering all 40 levels. Fair warning, mastering this game is really really really hard.

WARNING! These are games I have purchased and haven't found satisfying, or lack in some way. You may still enjoy them.
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Mega Man ripoff from the guys that made Megq Man Zero. Mechanically, it does some interesting things, but it's marred by some poorly-implemented systems. Nothing except the combat stands out.
Mighty Gunvolt: WAS a pack-in with Azure Striker, now a stand alone purchase with DLC. Behold Inafune's Kickstarter abomination in his first appearance as one of three boring characters in a buzz are 8-Bit homage. Again, nothing really stands out.
Kokuga: Remember those guys that made that great shmup Ikaruga? They made this, too! Except it's boring and broken.
Weapon Shop de Omasse: A rhythm game where you make weapons for various archetypes. Dialogue is great, but the gameplay is really dull.
Ironfall: Invasion: Technically impressive and solidly crafted, but a steep price for two halves that are flawed in their own rights. If you want online TPS, get the multiplayer pack and call it a day.
Witch and Hero: Transparently grind-based tower defense game that isn't even worth it's cheap price.
Ninja Battle Heroes: Action platformer with a decent challenge system but lacking really interesting level design and presentation.
Demon King Box: Strategy... tower defense... RPG thing that has really boring mechanics and a terrible localization.
Glory of Generals: Expansive strategy title with a metric ton of content, but a spotty localization that de-emphasizes mission objectives.
PicDun 2: it's a dungeon crawling first person RPG with awful localization. That's important, since there's a text-based puzzle on each floor.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:16:52 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: The 3DS eShop thread- This one actually does have variety!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
No love for SteamWorld Dig?  I know it's available elsewhere, but this fantastic little game plays extremely well on 3DS and deserves at least a mention.

I'd like to throw my hat in on two non-games: 
* Colors! 3D - If you like drawing, this is a fantastic little application. It's got a good community behind it, interesting online features, and a very nice tool set for doodling and creating some nice artwork.
* Smile Basic - This application has (I think) a much narrower appeal than the one above, and is definitely harder to wrap your head around, so buyer beware. But for people who enjoy coding Smile Basic is a neat application that allows you to code on the go and see quick results directly on your 3DS. It has limitations and doesn't offer any type of keyboard support for typing, but is powerful enough to create some really interesting projects if you put in the time and effort. There is also a decent community that shares work if you just want to try applications or modify the code that others have already built.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
I would have Mutant Mudds on my essentials list. It's not exclusive, but I'd argue it's the best version of the game. Really looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

In terms of lesser known stuff, I'm a huge fan of a game called Tappingo. If you like Picross, it's definitely one to check out. Also Kung Fu Rabbit, though it's not exclusive and probably not the best version, but I like it on 3DS for the portability. It's probably the closest thing to Super Meat Boy you'll find on a Nintendo system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
Yeah what the hell is Mighty Gunvolt, have it. bet it in under an hour, and completely dissatisfied.
Much like Khushrenda's mum! (oHHHHHH!)
Made you look ****.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »
I try to keep my beatings under an hour too. Can you tell I typed most of this opening post up on an iPhone...?

Can't believe I forgot SteamWorld Dig, it was definitely on my list too. If we're going for apps too, I'd definitely recommend KORG M01d if you can nab it during a half-off sale. 30 bucks is a bit extreme, but it's a fantastic synthesizer and I've played it for HOURS.

Of course, if I dipped into recommended Virtual Console games, we'd start having a talk about classics, so I'd prefer not to do that. However, I've amassed quite a collection of VC games (including some strange additions), so if anyone wants some recommendations, I'd love to share.

I also haven't included some titles like Picross and Stretchmo because I haven't really gotten deep into them. I do want to go all the way on Stretchmo, so I might post some impressions of it in the future. I also want to say, I can gush like it's no tomorrow about The Keep, Iron Combat, Mutant Mudds, and some others, so... come to this thread if you have some credit you're looking to burn, I guess?

Since I'm all about the 3DS eShop, I'll probably post some news in here when I find it relevant. In other words, look forward to BUMPS.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
... If we're going for apps too, I'd definitely recommend KORG M01d if you can nab it during a half-off sale. 30 bucks is a bit extreme, but it's a fantastic synthesizer and I've played it for HOURS. ...

The KORG apps (there are more than one, right?) definitely deserve mention from what I've heard... unfortunately my abject lack of musical ability prevent them from being apps for me.  I love having a few high-quality apps like these on the console though. If they are well-made and appeal to you, they essentially provide infinite replay value.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
It really is a shame that Flipnote Studio was a Club Nintendo exclusive, because that means I can't recommend it. I also have Colors 3D, and KORG DSN-12 too, though DSN is a very specific type of composition tool where your mileage definitely varies.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
It really is a shame that Flipnote Studio was a Club Nintendo exclusive, because that means I can't recommend it. I also have Colors 3D, and KORG DSN-12 too, though DSN is a very specific type of composition tool where your mileage definitely varies.

Yeah - I thought about mentioning Flipnote Studio when listing Colors! 3D, but until the make it downloadable by the general public (which I thought was supposed to happen) it's really hard to recommend. Anyone interested who doesn't already have it is simply out of luck.  Doesn't that go against everything that digital downloads are supposed to represent?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:33:59 AM »
Is that title a jab at my thread?? Okay, fair enough.

I was recently dismayed to find out I suck at HarmoKnight.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
No mention for the 3DS version of Retro City Rampage? *tsk* *tsk*

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
I still need to get the rest of the Moon chapters. Gotta finish that before I move on to Dementium.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't help it. I promise it will be the last jab I make. And yeah, Up Tempo HarmoKnight is HARD!

I do have Retro City Rampage on 3DS and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's been out on other systems for better routes for so long I skipped over it. I haven't picked up Dementium yet but I really want to. I liked Moon Chronicles more than I thought I would.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 11:53:53 PM »
I want more jabs!

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is suprisingly good. I recommend it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 07:20:01 AM »
I think Rusty's is a great 3D game. I have a hard time playing it on mine, where the 3D slider is broken. But I have not played through the whole campaign because of its shady price-based unlocking.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 12:36:15 AM »
Rusty is just trying to provide for his family!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
That may be, but Rusty is also a video game character and I'm very suspicious of those types trying to take my money.

Hey! The Keep just got an eShop Demo! PLAY IT NOW.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:06 AM »
I do have Retro City Rampage on 3DS and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it's been out on other systems for better routes for so long I skipped over it.
Eh the 3DS version is well optimized and the game works well portably so I don't know.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
Looking for a pretty (lengthy) action RPG? Sadame releases February 25th. I didn't think much of the game until I checked out a trailer. Looks decent:
nintendoeverything.com/rising-star-games-releasing-sadame-on-the-3ds-eshop-later-this-month/

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 is coming sooner than expected- and the "Proto Man" counterpart from the original is now a playable character! Weirdly, he's a mix of Beck and Mega Man, which makes him more like the Blue Bomber than... well... the Azure Striker is.

After seeing gameplay of the new character and hoping that the flaws I had with the first game have been fixed somewhat, I might actually give this one a shot.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:45 AM »
Sorry for the Khushrenada bump, but this thread deserves it.

Blaster Master Zero had some gameplay showed off recently, and surprise! It looks freaking awesome. Attached a link to some gameplay below.
https://youtu.be/o21DgUPD2RQ

Don't forget, Renegade Kid is releasing Chicken Wiggle, a new 2D Platformer with a main character reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie and a level editor. They also have plans to release Treasurenauts, a 2D, co-operative platformer focused on treasure collection, but who knows when that will happen.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:21:01 AM by Evan_B »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
Totally deserves a bump.

(Sadly, my 3DS is still broken and I'm waiting until I have money to replace with a New 3DS unit. Does anyone know if NoA will switch over your games by request if your original unit is unusable? Really hoping I don't lose my digital content.)  -_-

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
Other than the ones mentioned, I can totally recommend Pocket Horse Jockey, which is a mix between solitaire and horse racing with a silly story premise.  It's more fun than you might expect from a solitaire game, and a worthwhile game to play if you only have small slices of time (20-30 mins) to burn.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
It's part of Khushrenada week, there were some temporary identity swaps on here as part of it. For instance, I'm insanolord. I also completely agree with you on Pocket Card Jockey, it was honestly one of my favorite games of last year on any platform.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
It's part of Khushrenada week, there were some temporary identity swaps on here as part of it. For instance, I'm insanolord. I also completely agree with you on Pocket Card Jockey, it was honestly one of my favorite games of last year on any platform.

Yeah, figured it out a few minutes after I posted this and a separate request for help.  I assumed people thought lemonade was a dup account or something.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
I'm glad for the bump too because I missed Sadame when I read this thread earlier. It looks engaging. Blast Master Zero was pretty much nailed on as a nostalgia purchase anyway, but I'm really digging the Zero polish.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
As recommended in another thread, Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure 3D is a weird action RPG by Falcom that has a wonky camera and stuttering audio each time you enter a new room, but it's very charming and fun in a silly, light sort of way. It's quite a good fit for the eShop in that it's a lengthy game, but not all that challenging or frustrating.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
(Sadly, my 3DS is still broken and I'm waiting until I have money to replace with a New 3DS unit. Does anyone know if NoA will switch over your games by request if your original unit is unusable? Really hoping I don't lose my digital content.)  -_-
I believe they will let you do this, but you may have to ship both systems to Nintendo for them to transfer it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new 3DS to replace his old broken one recently and was able to transfer his Nintendo Network ID and all his digital purchases just by calling Nintendo support, no sending it in requires.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new 3DS to replace his old broken one recently and was able to transfer his Nintendo Network ID and all his digital purchases just by calling Nintendo support, no sending it in requires.

Awesome - this is what I'm hoping for.  if I do have to send them in, I'm going to press Nintendo to pay for shipping.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
That's a bit scary. What's to stop someone from doing this with someone else's 3DS as a way to steal their games?

On an unrelated note, what is the serial number for your 3DS? I'm just, uh... taking a survey. Yeah.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »
Have gotten up to Mission 15 in Tank Troopers. 14 was really annoying because you have to roll two big bombs to an enemy base, and trying to push something with a tank or shoot at the ball to move it is not really that fun. Instead, it's very annoying and frustrating. Mission 15 has you needing to defend three vulnerable vehicles from enemy tanks that come from both sides. Apparently I need to push the friendly vehicles into boxes to give them camouflage, which I would have never considered if a post on Miiverse didn't reveal that. Basically that mission and anyone requiring you to push any kind of ball is awful.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)