Author Topic: Sony Working on a Super Mario Bros. Movie?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline CurtDogg

• Staff Writer, Twitch Streamer
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Sony Working on a Super Mario Bros. Movie?
« on: December 12, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »

The idea sounds clean and dirty at the same time.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/39215/sony-working-on-a-super-mario-bros-movie

Nintendo and Sony Pictures are working on an animated Super Mario Bros. movie, following the ongoing massive leak of e-mails from the movie studio.

While nothing is officially greenlit, the e-mails suggest that film producer Avi Arad recently acquired the rights to produce animated films based on Super Mario as of October 23 of this year. “I am the proud father of mario the animated film" said Arad in an e-mail to Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal. Arad then forwarded Pascal photos of him with Shigeru Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata. Pascal forwarded these e-mails to Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony-owned TriStar Pictures, and added "Avi closed Mario brothers, animated."

The e-mails also include Arad thanking Michelle Raimo Kouyate, the President of Production at Sony Pictures Animation, for a gift basket filled with Mario merchandise, with replies from Koutate of wanting to "build a Mario empire!†and that she "can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this. So huge!â€. There are also talks of bringing on Genndy Tartakovsky, creator of the cartoons Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack, as director of the film.

Nintendo and Sony Pictures have yet to officially comment.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Working on a Super Mario Bros. Movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »
Sounds horrifying. I hope this happens.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
If they got Genndy Tartakovsky to direct the film, there's a decent chance it wouldn't be awful though I'm admittedly biased as I loved Decter's Laboratory. It is strange that Nintendo would even entertain collaborating with Sony Pictures on this. I realize that Sony's movie and video game divisions are largely considered separate, but it's still Sony. I would have imagined Nintendo listening to Avi Arad's pitch then getting Disney on the phone right afterwards.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
If this happens we need to get the PlayStation 4 exclusive Super Mario: The Movie: The Game! ...and it needs to be made by whatever jackasses made Hotel Mario.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
BlackNMild talked about this on the Sony topic in General Chat, and I agree with him: a Nintendo Universe movie like the LEGO movie would seem to be much more interesting than just a Mario themed movie.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
^ here is the whole post with everything quoted in the Sony Leak thread

Sony making a Mario Bros. animated movie?

http://kotaku.com/report-sony-making-super-mario-bros-cartoon-1670192558/all

The film, which the emails say will be animated, is only in the very earliest stages of production, with no personnel currently attached (though there are daydreams that Samurai Jack's Genndy Tartakovsky might be tempted).

Yet the Buzzfeed report says they "could not find any emails in which anyone at Sony Pictures expressed concern about any conflicts with their video game corporate cousin Sony Computer Entertainment, which is a direct competitor with Nintendo."

Thinking this over, I really can't picture a compelling Mario 3D animated movie....

now if they did a Samus/Metroid movie, a Link/Zelda movie or maybe even a StarFox movie.... or better yet, a Nintendoverse movie in the vein of maybe The LEGO Movie, where Mario gets caught up in a whimsical adventure that takes him into all sorts of **** and lands in him all of Nintendo's properties to resolve it, involving all he comes across, then maybe that will work. But just Mario & Luigi.... in the mushroom kingdom.... I'm just not seeing it.

what will be interesting though, is who get the game rights to the movie? and will it appear on a system other than a Nintendo one?

I would probably watch it, and the only other studio I see doing it right would be Disney, but Disney couldn't come up with a good reason to cameo Mario himself in the Wreck It Ralph movie.  And for the life of me, I couldn't come up with compelling story for a Mario centric movie that only involved the "Mario" IP. So like I previously said, IMHO a Nintendoverse game spanning all properties like The LEGO Movie seems the best route to take.

and seeing what Genndy has done with CG animation (Hotel Transylvania and that Popeye test trailer), I'm all down for him heading it up.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
So pretty much what The Subspace Emissary should have been? Super Smash Bros. would be a really good tie-in for such a movie. Maybe Nintendo and Sony Pictures can hold off until Sakurai gets his sanity back.

And sweet Jebus, I spelled "Dexter's" wrong...

Offline Infinitys_End

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »
They basically shoot themselves in the foot by not doing jack **** with their Metroid IP.  EVERYONE FUCKING WANTS IT NINTENDO.  WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
So this is being run by the guy who wrecked Spiderman?

Sounds legit.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
I don't think Sony can reach the high bar set by the last Mario movie

They'd have to make a movie so disgustingly bad that every sane, normal human being AND Jonathan Metts would hate it.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:04 PM »
Well, if it's animated, at worst they'll lose less money than the last Mario movie. I suppose now this'll definitely mean the HD transfer of the '93 movie will be coming over to piggyback on the buzz for this one.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 02:46:35 AM »
I had written down some basic thoughts about what a CG Mario film could be about a few months ago. Hope it's alright if I link it. http://turdfurgy.tumblr.com/post/95220178492/pixars-mario-bros-quick-and-dirty-thoughts
It's fairly relevant I'd say.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »

Sounds legit.

I haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but the first Amazing Spider-Man movie was pretty good.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »

Sounds legit.

I haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but the first Amazing Spider-Man movie was pretty good.

The second movie isn't bad, but it is a mess that reeks of studio interference.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »
I think Nintendo should have collaborated with Disney. If Disney could get some form of ownership over Nintendo most of my childhood nostalgia will be under the control of one company.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »
Disney had an opportunity to put Mario in Wreck it Ralph, but they couldn't think of a good reason for him to be there in the movie w/o it just being a random ass pointless cameo for cameo sake.