Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1163729 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #2625 on: January 02, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
I wish Runaways would have been a movie.  I feel like that story could be told very well in a trilogy. 

1st movie)  introduce the characters together, they do some hero stuff learn there parents are the villains and they stop the parents from doing evil...but last minute they get away.

2nd movie) The parents decide they need to bring their kids into the business.  The kids have a choice to make, parents succeed in one plan with the help of someone of the team.

3rd movie) Grand finale end of the world stuff.  reveal who the spy is and everything. 

As on ongoing tv show there is potential, but that first Runaway series was a tight really good story, that will only be hurt if it is dragged out into indefinite series. 

Three 13 episode seasons wouldn't be enough for you?
or even better, Three 10 episode seasons.

or maybe even better...
a 3 arc season split into three 10 hour episodic segments, and released in Fall, Spring and Summer.

you would surely get through that whole story much quicker and with much more detail and character development than you would w/ 3 movies that would at best take 6 years to make.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2626 on: January 02, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
No it would be too much fo me.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: January 04, 2017, 10:54:32 PM »
So I just finished my winter break Marvel-Netflix-Binge-o-rama and caught up on everything post-DD Season 1.

I'd currently rank the specific seasons as such:
Daredevil Season 1 > Luke Cage Season 1 > Daredevil Season 2 > Jessica Jones Season 1

Luke Cage S1 Overview: Spoilers Within!
Luke Cage was more realistic and less-punch-pulling than DD S1 until the introduction of the Judas, after which it spiraled downhill into the ridiculous Diamondback H.A.M.M.E.R. tech suit and lost me a bit. It's sad, because the non-super characters in Luke Cage are amazing (and Luke himself is great, too) but the Judas is a cheap way to exploit weakness when I feel the series was progressing fine with having the difficulty of Luke's plight be the juxtaposition between his bullet-proof-ness and everyone else's vulnerability.

Daredevil S2 Overview: Spoilers of Hell's Kitchen
Personally, the episode of DD S1 I liked the least had to do with NINJAS NINJAS NINJAS so that being half the plotline of S2 was really disappointing to me, especially because I felt you could have done a compelling enough plot centered around taking out and defending the Punisher. In the end, the Punisher plotline was lazily wrapped up (more economically, really) and the NINJAS NINJAS NINJAS plotline persisting is still aggravating. Also, the mid-season reveal of the BEST MCU VILLAIN further solidified why he is the BEST MCU VILLAIN. Foggy remains one of the worst acted performances in the MCU, although it has now been rivaled by another character...!

Jessica Jones S1 Overview: Spoilers about stuff.
Jessica Jones really only shone when Kilgrave or Luke were present, I found Jessica and the development of her character throughout the series unlikable. Most of the non-super characters were very engaging, but dear lord, Robyn is the most insufferable character in existence, and while some might argue people like her really do exist, she clashed with the tone of the series at large so heavily her inclusion is sinful. I feel that the Simpson character arc spiraled out of proportion and existed simply to buff the series' run time, and its weak dove-tailing with Jessica's origin felt like an excuse to make a S2. On the other hand, Hogarth has an amazing character arc that is enhanced by the integration with the other characters. Good thing she might show up in Daredevil.

Looking Towards the Future:
With Iron Fist on the horizon and the Defenders not long after, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Netflix series differentiate themselves, even if I'm not particularly interested in Danny in the slightest. With the amount head punching DD pulled off in S2 and Luke's comical head slaps and boxer-tendencies, I'm more interested to see how they portray Danny's particular brand of fighting. However, I think that, while Daredevil has done a decent job of expanding the scope of the MCU with different character introductions, I was hoping it would serve as an introductory anchor for all of these other characters before they got their own one-shot, single-season runs to further deepen their characters. I can't see them doing much more with Jessica Jones or even NINJAS NINJAS NINJAS that would interest me much, although Luke Cage has certainly proven me wrong on that front.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:56:33 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 05, 2017, 09:24:07 PM »
Jessica Jones unlikable? She's totally my type.

I tried to watch Supergirl right after watching Jessica Jones, and all I could think of was what a little bitch Supergirl was. I would like Jessica Jones to slap Supergirl and tell her to get some balls.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:26:07 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »
Synopsis for Thor: Ragnarok

In Marvel Studios’ ‘Thor: Ragnarok’, Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok—the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization—at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger—the Incredible Hulk!

and the official set pic

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:12 PM »
I mean, I don't watch Supergirl nor did I say she was a better character than Jessica, but the majority of Jessica's heroic traits were pretty much thrown out the window by the end of the season, which sets up the wonderful finale of "people call me a hero but I'm not," but it doesn't make the character any more likable. I've only met one woman even close to the level of snark and bite that Jessica had, and it made Kilgrave's obsession with her feel very forced- I get the poetry of him "wanting the one thing he can't control," but the final act of the season featured barely any conflict between them because after you toss out her desire to protect others and her moral code, there's nothing left to do with the character other than, you know, kill him.

The season sort of tied itself up nearly enough and didn't need the IGH aspect to enhance that. In relation to the other Netflix characters, Jessica is just too little a "hero" in my opinion, and while that might make her appealing to some because of the variety it adds, there's other antiheroes that do it better with more compelling powers and plot lines. I see her worth as an entry point for females, however, as the series presents- and destroys- many strong female characters. I just don't think Jessica is one worth praising or focusing upon.

Misty Knight, on the other hand...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 10, 2017, 12:51:47 AM »
Agents of SHIELD: LMD Promos

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: January 15, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
Black Panther: "Politically Astute and Socially Relevant"
http://www.etonline.com/movies/207047_sterling_k_brown_says_marvel_s_black_panther_isn_t_just_an_action_film/

Well, as a Big Budget Marvel Blockbuster w/ the majority of Black Hollywood starring in this, and Marvel NEEDING this movie to hit almost as much as eveyone in it and all of Black America needing it to hit, I really hope that they can make a Popcorn Action movie that fits the MCU but at the same time hit some culturally relevant beats on a much deeper than the surface level that will not only be good, but actually draw in the wider audience and making sure they leave "woke" ;)

would be nice for the MCU to finally have a film get nominated and win a major Hollywood award.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 15, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
No Marvel film will ever receive an award for anything that isn't visual-effects related.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: January 15, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »
I know Doctor Strange won for best visuals from the HFA's
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/doctor_strange/doctor-strange-has-won-a-hollywood-films-award-a145806

But Deadpool is up for Best Pic noms in 2 different award ceremonies.

PGA's
http://screenrant.com/deadpool-pga-best-picture-2017-nominees/

which leads to a potential nom for the Oscar's
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/10/14229056/deadpool-oscar-nomination-ryan-reynolds

not expecting a win, but a nomination in Best Pic is a HUGE step forward.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
If they get TOO successful and popular they will just eliminate the "problem" by creating a new category, like they did with Best Animated Picture. Nothing will ever top Beauty & the Beast because of what they did to separate the "kiddie" material.

Granted, there were some benefits for separating those films, but I still think the motivation was originated through a negative line of thought.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:55 PM »
If they get TOO successful and popular they will just eliminate the "problem" by creating a new category, like they did with Best Animated Picture. Nothing will ever top Beauty & the Beast because of what they did to separate the "kiddie" material.

Granted, there were some benefits for separating those films, but I still think the motivation was originated through a negative line of thought.

what did they do? please explain.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:19 PM »
Made the best animated picture category. I'm more conspiracy theory-ing it but it felt like they created that category because they didn't want their "grown up shows" getting challenged for best picture.

They robbed any animated picture from getting one of the most prestigious Academy Awards.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »
Made the best animated picture category. I'm more conspiracy theory-ing it but it felt like they created that category because they didn't want their "grown up shows" getting challenged for best picture.

They robbed any animated picture from getting one of the most prestigious Academy Awards.

But why will nothing ever top Beauty and the Beast? did it win best pic, and then they created the "animated" category?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
It was the only animated film to be nominated for best picture before the creation of the award. Turns out some of my information was outdated so I'll just post this from Wikipedia:

People in the animation industry and fans expressed hope that the prestige from this award and the resulting boost to the box office would encourage the increased production of animated features. Some members and fans have criticized the award, however, saying it is only intended to prevent animated films from having a chance of winning Best Picture. This criticism was particularly prominent at the 81st Academy Awards, in which WALL-E won the award but was not nominated for Best Picture, despite receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics and moviegoers and being generally considered one of the best films of 2008.

This led to controversy over whether the film was deliberately snubbed of the nomination by the Academy. Film critic Peter Travers commented that "If there was ever a time where an animated feature deserved to be nominated for Best Picture, it's WALL-E." However, official Academy Award regulations state that any movie nominated for this category can still be nominated for Best Picture.

In 2009, when the nominee slots for Best Picture were doubled to ten, Up was nominated for both Best Animated Feature and Best Picture at the 82nd Academy Awards, the first film to do so since the creation of the Animated Feature category. This feat was repeated the following year by Toy Story 3.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: January 16, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »
So there's still a chance.

Hopefully DP gets the nom, and that paves the way for BP  to win the award ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:17 AM »
AoS: LMD #itsallconnected w/ Luke Cage tonite.

HAMMER Tech - Judas Bullets

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: January 20, 2017, 02:18:06 AM »
LOL

I wonder if he punched him again right after that and he said "I'm Birdman"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
This makes me even more excited to see Homecoming. I hope those can enter the blooper reel somehow without some sort of legal issue.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Avengers: Infinity War - Teaser Trailers!!!
« Reply #2644 on: January 24, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/Avengers/status/823668641736642560

I bet Thanos is inside one of them!!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
So Black Panther is officially underway as well

https://news.marvel.com/movies/58647/marvel-studios-begins-production-black-panther-2/

and some actors have reported on filming one in the morning, and doing the other movie in the evening. MCU is a massive production. BP and IW are going to be amazing... I can just tell already.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
There's a list of episode names and directors out there for Iron Fist. (I'llpost it later if you like)

this one wasn't on there though.
Rza is directing an episode - http://mcuexchange.com/hiphop-icon-rza-direct-episode-iron-fist/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: January 29, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
quote copied from gaming thread:

that's more like separate but "connected" and not quite as satisfying as the promised #itsallconnected we were sold on when AoS started. Hell, even the TV show actors came out that there were disappointed at the level of one-way "connectedness".
I'll keep it brief, as this ain't the thread for it, but satifsfactory level of connectedness would have seen characters from AoS appear in places that might have made sense in the movies (Helicarrier rescue in AoU), or atleast event in the show(s) referenced in the movies (Inhumans for Sokovia accords) as or even in other shows as well. For SHEILD to not mention a bulletproof black man or a guy that can control people's minds (as it was mentioned on TV and radio) is quite ridiculous...

Ah, okay. I was more concerned that you were saying that the movies weren't truly connected. I love AoS, but the ratings (from what I've read) don't justify them spending the money to have more connectivity. The TV actors of course want to be a part of the movies and get some of that money that RDJ worked out for the main actors, and every TV actor wants to do movies. While I do wish AoS would mention the Defenders, the fact that they're local to New York and SHIELD is global, does make sense, but anyway...

Actually, Coulson I believe made a point to say that there was no one that could control peoples minds, so I find it funny that there was never even a hint of interest in Purple Man who was being discussed in the news and radio on Jessica Jones. That should have been on SHIELDS radar, as they are actively hunting down "enhanced" individual.

and a Bullet Proof black man causing all sorts of news in Harlem. If SHIELD wasn't interesting in that... then I just don't know what to say.

As far as rating... the funny thing is that if there were more connectivity to the movies, that could have led directly to better ratings. Evans (and Hemsworth I think) said they would be down to do the show. Knowing that Cap and/or Thor appeared in an episode would spike ratings. instead the "crossovers" we got, outside of the very first one, were pretty much bullshit.
If the movies happened to reference things from the show, even in ways that don't necessarily effect the plot of the movie, that could lead to more interest in the show, but more certainly HYPE the **** out of those that do watch the show. No mention of Inhumans when it came to Sokovia accords was a HUGE missed opportunity. no cast of AoS on the helicarrier in AoS was a another missed opportunity, no different than having Abed from Community appear as an agent in TWS.

We did get appearance from Fury, Maria Hill and Lady Sif, but at best, they've only made supporting characters in the movies. The only big appearance was Fury.

They really need to move all live action MCU under Feige so that there is atleast a direct line of communication and potentially cooperation between TV and movies divisions.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: January 30, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
I can see that coming soon. I am predicting that in the up swell to Infinity Wars or in the post-release celebration it will get moved under Feige so that Phase 4 can have even better traction.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:16 PM »
Black Panther: "Politically Astute and Socially Relevant"

would be nice for the MCU to finally have a film get nominated and win a major Hollywood award.

No Marvel film will ever receive an award for anything that isn't visual-effects related.

Not unless they are willing to change things up a bit in their scripting or the look/style of individual movies. The Dark Knight saw Heath Ledger win a posthumous award for his performance in it although one could argue that his death may have helped in the win then if he was still living and was nominated.

I still haven't seen a couple of the films nominated for Best Picture that year (Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Milk) but, in my opinion, The Dark Knight was the best movie of 2008. The only other films I would list as being able to challenge it are Gran Torino and Wall-E. I was reviewing a list of films that came out in 2008 on Wikipedia and what a weak year for movies. Yeah, there are some other good films in it but the majority of movies that year? Woof. However, then I saw that Quantum of Solace was released that year which meant Hollywood was still suffering through the Writer's Guild Strike that had occurred earlier which may account for such a large slate of forgettable and rough films.

The fact The Dark Knight didn't get a Best Picture nomination along with the very weak 5 pictures that were nominated led to the Academy making changes to the nomination process to allow up to 10 pictures to be nominated. This was done in the hopes of including more mainstream hits and keep the awards from looking to stodgy and out-of-touch. In a way, this has helped as it has seen more sci-fi fare and even animated movies get nominated. But aside from the very rare case of Mad Max: Fury Road being nominated last year, blockbuster big-budget fare is still shut out from even getting a nomination. Unless it does something really innovative technologically (Avatar, Gravity) the focus is still on movies that have "social relevance" like 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club or Spotlight. While those films may not always win despite their subject matter, compared to a movie where things go whiz and bang and large scale destruction occurs with a costumed here beating up a costumed villain and the day is saved, the former type of movie is always going to get a nod over the latter for appearing to be deeper and more serious.

The thing I still remember most from the Academy Awards for 2008 movies was Hugh Jackman singing up The Dark Knight's lack of a nomination asking "Since when is a billion dollars unsophisticated?". A few years ago, Birdman won Best Picture and if you want to know why a comic book movie hasn't been nominated it provides your answer as it was a sort of the Oscars manifesto that sure comic book movies are a big business and hugely popular but they are not respected by the profession's peers. They aren't a serious piece of art. If The Dark Knight couldn't crack it in 2008, then I don't think anything will unless it can equal or somehow surpass that film and nothing Marvel has done has ever reached that.

That doesn't mean that Marvel isn't entertaining or their films are crap. 2008 saw the release of Iron Man and it is also one of the few good movies released that year. But it doesn't compare to The Dark Knight, Gran Torino or Wall-E in my mind. However, I also don't think Marvel movies have changed that much since Iron Man. It set a tone that all the Marvel movies since have basically followed. Even when they try to bring up an issue or ask big questions, the treatment of such things is either just to serve as a basic character motivator or to skim the surface of the issue but not dive in deep. The focus is to keep the hero's charm up, give them a mission, have a bit early success, have a set back when facing the villain proper and then have them succeed over the villain at the end with a possible death (fake or real) thrown in to give it all some gravitas. It's a successful formula and it keeps working for the most part but it keeps the films safe. Marvel talks about taking risks with trying out properties like Guardians of the Galaxy or Dr. Strange but because they follow this similar pattern, there actually isn't that much risk in them. They're a known quantity before you even see the films. You know exactly the kind of experience you are going to get with them just from the Marvel name.

So, no, I have no expectations that Black Panther is somehow going to be a socially relevant film that allows Marvel to crack into an Oscar Best Picture nominee. Frankly, I don't think Marvel really cares if they get a nomination either. They just want to make sure they keep raking in a lot of money and dominating the box office by putting out the same kind of superhero experience they've been putting out for 8 years now. Frankly, when something is changed up, like The Mandarin in Iron Man 3, it gets a huge backlash from the fans so Marvel retcons it to keep the masses happy and that means less risk-taking allowed on the part of script writers or directors with these properties.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.