Author Topic: The IMDb Top 250  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
The IMDb Top 250
« on: March 09, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
Pretty sure everyone on here is familiar with the IMDb website for movie information. As such, you have probably seen their Top 250 Movie List based on the ratings given to movies by their users. Yet, despite these movies supposedly having mass appeal and being quite popular among the users, how far down the list can you go starting from #1 - The Shawshank Redemption until you hit a spot/film that you have yet to see?

For myself, I got stopped at #43 - The Intouchables, the original french film that was recently remade in the US with Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston in the starring roles. I've yet to see either version but would choose the french one first to cross it off the list.

Second stopping point is #58 - The Lives of Others. That plus 8 others in the top 100 means I've seen 90% of the top 100 according the list. What movie(s) are the first to stop you on the list?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: The IMDb Top 250
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:48:16 AM »
I had to stop at #2.....  :-[

Not that's I've never watched it, just never seen it in it's entirety, especially not in one go.
but there's tons on there that always planned to maybe one day watch, but other things/movies/shows come up and I never go to it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
Wow! That might be hard to top unless some people here haven't seen The Shawshank Redemption yet...  Truthfully, I'm not a big fan of The Godfather. I think it is kind of overrated. However, it is worth checking out and watching because it helps set things up for The Godfather Part 2 and it is the second one that I think is much more worthy of praise and watching but it helps to build that tapestry of history that comes from having seen the first one. Make it a Godfather weekend sometime and see them both. That's what I did years ago.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
I've only seen 3 of the top 10, Shawshank and the two Lord of the Rings movies. I've never been a big movie guy, I always preferred the format of TV, and so I haven't seen a lot of the big classics.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
I've seen 33 of the Top 50 going by a quick skim through.

a majority of the ones I haven't seen were released before I was born.
some of the others just didn't seem like my type of movie.

skimming all the way to 100, theres a few in there I have been meaning to watch and never got to.
A lot of the ones I haven't watched though, are likely to stay that way.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:41 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't seen all of these films.
I've never seen #5: 12 Angry Men, so apparently didn't do very well.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »
I gotta recommend 12 Angry Men. It does come from a play so it can be a bit theatrical with people talking about the American trial and jury system and some of the character's behavior motivation. Yet, the story and material are strong and it keeps moving along that these moments don't linger too long and, as a viewer, it doesn't quite break the suspension of disbelief. Which is good because it definitely has moments that wouldn't normally be allowed from jury members.

If you like Ace Attorney then you'd probably like this film. It's basically the jury conducting the trial themselves as they go through evidence to look for the truth. A lot of this stuff should have been done in the trial by lawyers but it is explained away in a believable enough manner. TCM just had it on a couple weekends ago. I came in the middle just to see where it was at before shutting off the TV only to stay engrossed until the end again.

The first time I saw it was around 2002. I think I had rented it from Blockbuster. My brother is not a fan of older movies. He complains about the acting styles in the 30-60s nor does he care for black-and-white movies. I'd recommend Hitchcock movies or other classics with Bogart or Jimmy Stewart but he's pass on seeing them. I told him the plot of this one and how it was a top-rated classic. The plot interested him enough to see it with me and after he said he did like it also. So, it doesn't surprise me that it is rated so high on the IMDB list. Personally, there are a lot of other classic movies I'd rank ahead of it but it is definitely a crowdpleaser and it is a movie that I think most people will enjoy so it has broad appeal even if it may not be the most stunning film technically.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:18 PM »
I stopped at #5 too, then #19, Seven Samurai. There's a lot of movies I need to watch on here, but some I know I will never see. I did a count and I got a 138/250 so more than half.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 09:52:24 PM »
Wait-a-minute.... I just realized something!

I've only seen 3 of the top 10, Shawshank and the two Lord of the Rings movies. I've never been a big movie guy, I always preferred the format of TV, and so I haven't seen a lot of the big classics.

You haven't seen The Dark Knight?!?!  :o :o :o

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 10:31:05 PM »
Wait-a-minute.... I just realized something!

You haven't seen The Dark Knight?!?!  :o :o :o

I've just never been a fan of the superhero genre, so no, I haven't seen any Batman movie or any of the seemingly thousands of Marvel movies.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:46:50 AM »
Then the first 10 seconds of this clip is for you.  8)

And if BnM is curious to know what is going on....