Author Topic: Professor Layton and the Curious Village  (Read 46119 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton and the Curious Village
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
Just sit back and let the story take you where it wants.  Don't think too hard about it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
The worst part about the story is that all the mysterious get solved in a landslide at the end and the very end sequence doesn't involve one last puzzle.  I just beat it yesterday.  I still have I think around 12 puzzles to go but I know I have to have more because the rooms aren't filled I haven't finished the picture.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
What a charming game.

Though I figured out the story very early on.. way back when Ramon was kidnapped.  Also, it needed more of those cute cutscenes.

After you get a puzzle right, do any of you guys point and wag your finger like Layton and Luke do? Or am I alone on that? :P
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
I smile.

Though whats up with Flora's arms at the end?
I'll definetely get the second one.  I just hope it doesn't pull a Pheonix Wright on me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2008, 10:40:09 PM »
"Pull a Phoenix Wright"? What would that entail? A mediocre second game followed by an amazing third game? I wouldn't mind that too much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »
Am I the only one who's been quite disappointed with the downloadable games?  The first one (that was up for about three weeks or something) wasn't bad... but the second one was lame (which one of these is different?  that's not a puzzle!) and the third one was just counting - there wasn't even anything tricky about it...

:(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »
The first download puzzle was tough...

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
The first one took me forever to figure it out.  Now that I know the answer I can't believe it took me so long.

The seond one took me about 30 seconds to beat.  I was disappointed.

Haven't gotten around to downloading the third one yet.

BTW, I finally beat puzzle 135.  I did it in something like 650 moves.  I'm glad to be done with it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
And how did the cat cross the stream anyway?

Same way as you: it took the boat. Reminds me of this quiz I took once:
Q: How do you put a giraffe in the refrigator?
A: Open the door, put giraffe in the refrigerator, close the door.
Q: How do you put an elephant in the refrigerator?
A: Open the door, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant, close the door.

lol

Just got the game this weekend to play after having been eliminated from the semifinals of UncleBob's smash tourney, and killing time till the Brawl release. It's really, really charming. They could've gone ultra-cheapy in the presentation, and people still would've bought it. But it's just too cool. I've played more Layton than Brawl, honestly :-[ (though that's partly because of all my time spent in the car recently) :)
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »
And how did the cat cross the stream anyway?

Same way as you: it took the boat. Reminds me of this quiz I took once:
Q: How do you put a giraffe in the refrigator?
A: Open the door, put giraffe in the refrigerator, close the door.
Q: How do you put an elephant in the refrigerator?
A: Open the door, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant, close the door.

lol

Just got the game this weekend to play after having been eliminated from the semifinals of UncleBob's smash tourney, and killing time till the Brawl release. It's really, really charming. They could've gone ultra-cheapy in the presentation, and people still would've bought it. But it's just too cool. I've played more Layton than Brawl, honestly :-[ (though that's partly because of all my time spent in the car recently) :)

Stop rubbing in you had a driver.  :P

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
I really liked the ending, it was very cute... ^_^

Now it's time to play the waiting game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
"Pull a Phoenix Wright"? What would that entail? A mediocre second game followed by an amazing third game? I wouldn't mind that too much.
Is the third one better?  The Second one had so much of the stuff I hated from the first and not the stuff I liked that I sweared off the series so I wouldn't break my DS.  I may rent it if thats the case.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
Is the third one better?  The Second one had so much of the stuff I hated from the first and not the stuff I liked that I sweared off the series so I wouldn't break my DS.  I may rent it if thats the case.

Third one is waaaaay better than the second. You may still be annoyed by the "I presented the right evidence too early so I got a penalty" issue, but other than that it's fantastic.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
It's not the evidence thing that annoys me.  It's the goddamn characters.  The only character (ever) worse than Oldbag is the young von Karma.  I didn't care for that damn clown, either.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
Characters in the third game are better.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
Second game was a huge letdown. Third one tried hard for redemption, and was quite good, but still not as good as the first one. Manfred's trial in the first is still the pinnacle of the series.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
All the PW games were great...

Back on topic though... some of these P. Layton puzzles are just plain wrong for the solution.  Anyone notice that?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
Examples?

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »
The make a square from tiles one...

That one has some stipulations that they don't bother to tell you... a few puzzles are like that.  There were a few more, I'll have to dig up the game to find them.  (Still need to finish the game too)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

That one has some stipulations that they don't bother to tell you... a few puzzles are like that.  There were a few more, I'll have to dig up the game to find them.  (Still need to finish the game too)

I will agree with this as well. They aren't wrong per se, but they do fail to tell you some of the stipulations of the question. You may figure out a winning case, but it doesn't match the exact case they are looking for. There are definitely instances where I needed to take a leap of faith to answer the question because the specifics were not exactly detailed out.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »

Can you give me a puzzle number?  I haven't the foggiest idea which one this is.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
The one with the Triangles.  I made the number of triangles they wanted but there was a specific way they wanted it and I met all there rules.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:01 PM »
I'm going to need visual proof.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

Can you give me a puzzle number?  I haven't the foggiest idea which one this is.

Puzzle #76: A Tile Square

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
What was so hard about that one?  I figured out right away that you needed to use the depth dimension.  By this point in the game you should know that all of the puzzles aren't as easy as they seem at first.