Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Shocktober III: Season of the Witch

<< < (2/8) > >>

M.K.Ultra:
From IGN article:

“Various overlapping circumstances made it difficult for Hellena Taylor to reprise her role,” they confirmed. “We held auditions to cast the new voice of Bayonetta and offered the role to Jennifer Hale, whom we felt was a good match for the character.”

Hale is perhaps best known as the female voice of Commander Shepard in the Mass Effect series, as well as voicing Samus Aran in the Metroid Prime series.

Adrock:

--- Quote from: Bungle4 on October 05, 2022, 09:39:20 AM ---From IGN article:

“Various overlapping circumstances made it difficult for Hellena Taylor to reprise her role,” they confirmed. “We held auditions to cast the new voice of Bayonetta and offered the role to Jennifer Hale, whom we felt was a good match for the character.”
--- End quote ---
If I visited more often, I'd have posted this in the Bayonetta 3 thread I made back when I hilariously thought the game would release in 2019. Boy is my face red...

Hale isn't a bad choice. I enjoyed her work in the MGS series. Considering Bayonetta 3 has been in development for roughly 37 years, I'm skeptical of the reasoning here. Helena Taylor wasn't available at any point in the last four years? I still think she's probably in the game, and this is one massive troll/red herring.

Anyway...

After some clownery with my Bayonetta (Switch) pre-order from August (Amazon canceled it), I picked up the game from Best Buy on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to open it.

I booted up a ROM hack of Resident Evil: Director's Cut Dual Shock Vers. that restores the original soundtrack and uncut, color FMV on Vita. Woof. That game did not age well. I recently acquired Resident Evil: Deadly Silence so I'm going to see if the Rebirth mode helps. I love the series though I've never fully completed the original four games (including Code Veronica). It almost feels like a rite of passage. It's the same reason I beat the original Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda a few years ago.

A friend and I are trying to slog through Resident Evil 6 on PS4. Woof, again. It feels like Sunk Cost, The Video Game® as if Capcom knew it wasn't working at various stages of development yet forged ahead because they were too far along to start over.

M.K.Ultra:
I have started both games mentioned earlier and made some progress.
First off, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I am playing this on the SNES classic (mini). I am using the boss battles to demarcate the stage endings and only using save states there. This in itself would not be tough, but I am also sticking to making it through each stage unscathed. I just can't loose that shiny gold suit  8). I have actually never made it to stage 4 before so it is all new territory. I have been using the bow and arrow, which works great but the special (finding chests) is moot since I am staying gold. I must admit the sprite work and music are really strong in this game. While this is not scary in the jump-scare sense, I am very on edge towards the end of the stage, hoping I don't get hit.

I also booted up Alien Isolation on PS4. I looked over the trophies and I am already have 39/51 from my first playthrough. There is no way to get all the rest in a second playthrough, literally. One of the trophies is for beating the game without dying and another is for getting killed 100 times by the alien. Planning it out as two playthroughs, this one is on the easiest difficult setting and will take care of the trophies for beating the game without dying and without killing any humans as well as collecting ID tags and Nostromo logs. When I first played this I did not have a PS camera, but now I do, so I am using the very cool features for head tracking and noise detection. That's right, the camera tracks your head so you can peek around when hiding in lockers and the microphone picks up noise in your room so if you scream or make other noises, the alien in the game will hear you. This seems like something Nintendo should have done on Wii U or 3DS. Maybe they did, let me know if you do. So far I am on mission 4 but this is a scary game, especially when you are trying not to die.

Mop it up:
I've been playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which I finished up last night. I've always heard of the game of course, but was never big on PlayStation even though we had one, so I've never gotten around to playing it. The Xbox 360 version was given out as a Gold game at one point, so that's what I played; I don't know if it has any differences over the original release. And I've gotta say...

...It's still pretty good! It certainly shows its age, but it's still playable. I like that there are plentiful tools and weapons, and how quite a few things aren't exactly required, but are fun to mess around with and provide more options for movement and combat. A few things are essentially nothing more than keys, but they can't all be winners. I discovered magic by accidentally inputting one of the combos, which is an interesting way of handling it, though I never came across anything in the game that listed a magic spell so I wonder if I missed it somewhere or if the only way to find a spell is to stumble upon using it. Many areas of the castle feel distinct with variety in both visuals and gameplay. While the music is good, the voices and sound effects are oddly low-quality, even for a PlayStation game. The wolf form was probably supposed to be cool, but it's just cute.

I've got mixed feelings on the sequence leading up to the end. On one hand, it's pretty clear the inverted castle was slapped in there because they ran out of time and/or budget. It isn't quite on the level of a Zelda-style second quest, and I s'pose it's debatable if it's "required" since you can get an ending without it, but it is a clever way to add extra content to the game without much effort. It at least has new enemies and bosses, and tested my memory and familiarity with the castle layout.

Overall, I can see why this game is highly-regarded, and while it may not technically be the first Metroidvania (that'd be Castlevania II, which I played for Backlaugust), this one is way better and moved the franchise in a (relatively) new direction. Aside from these two, the only other Metriodvania I've played is Dawn of Sorrow, so I'm looking forward to trying out some more of this series.

M.K.Ultra:

--- Quote from: Mop it up on October 12, 2022, 03:40:04 PM --- I'm looking forward to trying out some more of this series.

--- End quote ---
Though it is not technically in the series, if you liked Symphony I would recommend Bloodstained. It feels more like symphony than any other game I have played and it is pretty recent so has some QoL improvements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version