Author Topic: Secret of Mana Collection Finally Coming West; Out Later Today  (Read 1509 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile

The fabled SNES sequel to Secret of Mana is getting a fresh localization and you can play it today.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/50779/secret-of-mana-collection-finally-coming-west-out-later-today

After more than 20 years, the sequel to the SNES classic Secret of Mana is finally coming out in America thanks to the Collection of Mana when it releases later today on the eShop.

The collection came out in Japan on Switch in 2017 and this localized version features the same three games: the Game Boy game Adventures of Mana, the SNES game Secret of Mana, and the never-before-localized Trials of Mana, known to some fans as Secret of Mana 3 or its Japanese name, Seiken Densetsu 3.

Additionally Trials of Mana is getting a full remake, due out in early 2020.

Update: The collection's MSRP is US$39.99/C$49.99, and a physical edition will be available August 27.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Secret of Mana Collection Finally Coming West; Out Later Today
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:02 PM »
This might sound like such a silly thing to be happy about but I like how Seiken Densetsu 3 now has an official English name.  Maybe I'm being a little OCD but it's the Mana series and every game is _____ of Mana and then in the middle of it we had Seiken Densetsu 3 or sometimes it got called "Secret of Mana 2" even though no other Mana games had a number in the title.  Really the fact that it has an official English release is the real piece of news but I like how we can now call it "Trials of Mana".  Like I said, it's a silly thing to care about.

Though on the other side it's a little odd they're calling Final Fantasy Adventure "Adventures of Mana" when it's remake was already called "Sword of Mana".  Why not just stick with the remake's name?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
Though on the other side it's a little odd they're calling Final Fantasy Adventure "Adventures of Mana" when it's remake was already called "Sword of Mana".  Why not just stick with the remake's name?
This is probably so people still know it is the original Final Fantasy Adventure on Game Boy and not Sword of Mana for GBA.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 04:10:00 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
See you mofos in August then...

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »
I was pretty excited that these were available. I went onto the eShop and discovered it's... $39.99?!?!?!?!?

This is essentially 3 Virtual Console games, am I right? Normally $8 for SNES (times two) and $4 or $5 for GameBoy games. So... maybe $20? Why so expensive? Just the Square-Enix tax or is there more that I don't know about?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »
I'm interesting in this, but I can wait for a price drop. There's enough RPGs on the docket already.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:14:08 AM »
I was pretty excited that these were available. I went onto the eShop and discovered it's... $39.99?!?!?!?!?

This is essentially 3 Virtual Console games, am I right? Normally $8 for SNES (times two) and $4 or $5 for GameBoy games. So... maybe $20? Why so expensive? Just the Square-Enix tax or is there more that I don't know about?

It's probably because the 3rd game has never been translated before so Square-Enix is considering it a new game in the West.  If you want to legally play an English translation of Seiken Densetsu 3 which is now Trials of Mana, this is the only way to do it.  This way they can see just how dedicated the Mana fanbase in the West really is and can easily lower the price if enough don't bite.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
I totally understand the cost to localizing the game, but $40 does feel too steep. At the least it is worth waiting for the physical version if I am paying $40, but more likely I will wait for the first sale as 30-35 feels much more easy to swallow than 40.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
Now that it's out, has anyone picked up the physical? That's what I was waiting for, though I haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I do worry it's going to be one of those low-print-run games that's hard to find later, so I better do that sooner than later.

Gimme that sweet, sweet soundtrack. Almost wanna play it for that reason alone... <3
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)