Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 680152 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1675 on: October 21, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »
Laker's Film Room have done a piece on Dwight Howard's health and the journey he has taken on getting back to where he needs to be mentally and physically. It is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTx4eWbvN64
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 21, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
I worry a little bit that the mental prep isn't related to injuries - Howard has a reputation for being famously immature - but maybe the ups and downs over his career and related to his health will have changed him.  If there is no issue with ego or locker room fit, he should be an awesome fit for the Lakers.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 21, 2019, 10:34:41 PM »
Dwight Howard’s career was on the line. If that wasn’t enough to get him back in shape as well as humbled, nothing would and he’d be out of the league. Money isn’t a concern for him. I think he really just loves to play basketball and have fun.

Having a generational player entering his prime puts things in perspective. Howard can’t demand superstar treatment because he isn’t one anymore. Also, a big plus that Kobe is retired.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
I worry a little bit that the mental prep isn't related to injuries - Howard has a reputation for being famously immature - but maybe the ups and downs over his career and related to his health will have changed him.  If there is no issue with ego or locker room fit, he should be an awesome fit for the Lakers.
I think it is exactly that. He has had ups and downs since joining the Lakers the first time and he just wants to belong to a team that will enjoy what Dwight can bring to the team with defense rebounds, screen and rolls, lobs and a little bit passing. The passing is kinda surprising to me as the last time I really saw him pass a lot was when he was with the magic and it was out of the post to shooters but now there is lots of handoffs and smart passes to cutters so it is nice that he can bring that to the Lakers and he will also give rest to JaVale and still get similar production when Dwight is on the court. I kinda think this is a win win for the Lakers and Dwight.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:23 PM »
Zion gets surgery, will be out 6 to 8 weeks.

As much as they downplayed the injury, the fact that it required surgery feels ominous about the kid's career.  Here's to hoping he doesn't see any more injuries.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:04 AM »
Zion gets surgery, will be out 6 to 8 weeks.

As much as they downplayed the injury, the fact that it required surgery feels ominous about the kid's career.  Here's to hoping he doesn't see any more injuries.

Zion looks fantastic when he plays, but his weight worries me.
It's just a lot of strain to place on the body when moving and jumping with such explosiveness.

Really hope he ends up being healthy though; watching the young Pelicans play was going to be one of my goals this season, but without Zion healthy they aren't nearly as intriguing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 22, 2019, 05:48:40 AM »
My goal was to make my first game at the new Warriors stadium a Dubs vs Pels game, but it has to be atleast 8-10 weeks from now when Zion is healthy.

I was looking forward to seeing him vs the New Look Warriors.
I might settle for Dubs v Kings game instead. I'm looking for something I don't need to take a small loan out for to go see, but still interesting to watch. LOL.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 22, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
REGULAR SEASON STARTS TODAY......

and the first new NBA news I get is that Steve Kerr says Klay won't be back this season :(

It's not definitive, and I expect Klay to want to come back asap, but I know he's also not gonna rush it, since he already got his Brinks Truck delivery. I'm still holding out hope for a post All-Star Break Warriors push when Klay comes back.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 22, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
I’m going to try to stay up for the Lakers game, but it starts 10:30 PM EST (or really closer to 11:00 PM). I’m old; I need sleep!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 23, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »
And... I'm out at halftime of the Lakers vs Clippers. Leonard is some kind of machine. His strength and efficiency are unmatched. Even though I'm still sad that he left the Raptors, it's fun to see him work.

In the other game, Raptors needed extra time and looked a step slow defensively all night long... but still pulled out a win to start their season. Seeing how limited and flawed the rotation was raises doubts about what kind of record they'll be able to manage - but there were no questions about Siakam or VanVleet. Big time performances from both players. Bet on yourself, indeed.

For opening night games, the overall quality of ball was better than I expected.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 23, 2019, 12:14:20 AM »
This is hard to watch. Lakers down by 11 now. Contemplating going to bed.

EDIT: Now down by six. Man, Danny Green was a great signing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:19:25 AM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1686 on: October 23, 2019, 12:21:19 AM »
Not going to stop rooting the Lakers until the clock hits 0.00.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 23, 2019, 12:24:29 AM »
I’m not going to stop rooting for the Lakers. I live on the East Coast, and I have work in the morning.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1688 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »
Danny Green with 18 points in the 3rd quarter. 85-85 at the end of the 3rd.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1689 on: October 23, 2019, 01:12:52 AM »
Sigh Lakers lost 112 to 102.  Danny Green led all Lakers scorers with 28 points. Kawhi had 30. All the Clippers bench that played had at least 10 points.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 23, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »
Green was such an amazing pick-up for the Lakers. Perfect fit. He won't always score that much, but he'll always impact the game. Weird to see Leonard and Green on different teams though!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 23, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
We haven't even STARTED our 1st game yet, and the corpse of Dante Exum is right back on the Injured List.  :rolleyes:

https://www.slcdunk.com/latest-utah-jazz-news-recent/2019/10/22/20927697/dante-exum-ruled-out-of-season-opener-vs-thunder
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 23, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Lakers are tied for last with the Orleans Pels.

hows it feel?

(hopes Warriors don't lose season opener....)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »
It was weird seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger look small next to Kawhi Leonard and Paul George in that NBA/Terminator: Dark Fate commercial.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1694 on: October 23, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
Lakers might still make the playoffs but each injury takes them a step away from it.  If LeBron or AD get hurt, then it's pretty much over.

Now, the Warriors may be in trouble this year.  They're a low seed without Klay, still a playoff team, but I wouldn't be quick to put them back in contention.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1695 on: October 23, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
Lakers are tied for last with the Orleans Pels.

hows it feel?

(hopes Warriors don't lose season opener....)
Someone has to lose each game and it just so happened to be the Lakers last night. 1 Game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: October 23, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
BNM was joking.

But to answer his question: tiring. I stayed up past 1:00 AM. It would have been nice to get the W. Still, it’s nice to have basketball back.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: October 23, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
We have some Lakers fans; can someone here sell me on Brandon Ingram?

He seems to get a tremendous amount of hype as an up-and-coming star, but I've never been lucky enough to see a performance from him that made me believe that hype. Ingram always looks amazingly talented, but rarely shows the kind of desire or passion that you want from a star player - although maybe that's due to age or role?

It was interesting to see him go against Siakam (who was drafted the same year) last night. Different players in a lot of ways, but they match up pretty well.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1698 on: October 23, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
I got my tickets for the Suns vs Kings game tonight at 7pm. It should be fun.

We have some Lakers fans; can someone here sell me on Brandon Ingram?

He seems to get a tremendous amount of hype as an up-and-coming star, but I've never been lucky enough to see a performance from him that made me believe that hype. Ingram always looks amazingly talented, but rarely shows the kind of desire or passion that you want from a star player - although maybe that's due to age or role?

It was interesting to see him go against Siakam (who was drafted the same year) last night. Different players in a lot of ways, but they match up pretty well.
I mean I haven't seen him in person play but from the highlights that I have seen a lot of the hype is mainly about his length, rebounding and scoring.  Like if you look at him he is kinda lanky with the length of his arms so he can use that for getting into passing lanes for steals and also since his arms are so long he can shoot over smaller guards and forwards. It is just a matter of putting everything together.  He has very good hands so he can rebound well and receive the basketball on the block and go from there.  His scoring when he was playing last year for the Lakers was kinda odd because at the start of the season he needed the ball to score and really wasn't an off ball player. So with LeBron out there it was kind of an odd pairing at the start of the season.  Later on in the season he learned how to play off ball and did better before the tail end of the season where he had the blood clot problems.

Here is a video of his highlights last season.
for BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yln440qA9E
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:37:52 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 23, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
I got my tickets for the Suns vs Kings game tonight at 7pm. It should be fun.

I almost thought you were near Sac, then I looked up the game and they playing in Phoenix.

I was definitely just joking about the Lakers.
only 2 teams have played and lost so far, so this may be the last time I can say Lakers are dead last in the league. (unless Utah can upset on Friday) LOL

edit:
And I know it's only the 1st game of the season, but KD gotta be sitting on the bench watching his team down almost 20 to the Timberwolves halfway though the 2nd, and wondering.... "I hope I didn't make a mistake...."

narrators response: He did
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:30:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »