Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 684336 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: NBA Thread: about to take our talents to Brooklyn
« Reply #1500 on: July 06, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
So who are our best guesses at Title Contenders in the East and the West for this upcoming 19/20 Season?

Top 5 in each conference (will the East have that many?).

In the West I can already see:
Clippers
Lakers
... (Jazz? Blazers? Rockets?)
Warriors

In the East:
:tumbleweed:
76ers
... I have no idea what happened in the East...
... Pacers, Bucks?

Someone clue me in, I didn't follow all the trades

Here go fave this page and read it often.
 https://www.nba.com/2019-offseason-reported-deals-team-list
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1501 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:07 PM »
1 year/3.5 mil deal for Cousins and a 2 year/ min deal for Rondo on the Lakers. This is okay considering Boogie, AD  and Rondo have played on the Pels together.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:08:52 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1502 on: July 06, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
According to Eric Pencus the Lakers should have 9.7 mil left in cap space without the cap holds/7.9 with Carusos hold. https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1147588634255622144
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:50:32 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 06, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
The Lakers are doing well filling out the roster. I wasn’t really worried about it. Even now, there are still some decent rotation players available (unless I missed some other moves). If you have a chance to sign Kawhi Leonard, you go for it. Not upset at all that they were all in for Leonard. More importantly, a side benefit to waiting is that they didn’t overpay on anyone except maybe Danny Green and that isn’t even egregious. According to Brian Windhorst, Green apparently had a standing offer from the Mavericks for three years, $36 million. Basically, the Lakers paid him $3 million extra per year to take one fewer year. He’s 32. That isn’t a terrible contract for a solid 3-and-D player, and he’s going to get a ton of open looks this year. The Lakers are clearly planning for 2021 free agency. The best free agent next summer is (almost) on the team and expected to re-sign.

Obviously, missing out on a talent like Kawhi Leonard sucks. No way to sugarcoat it. Despite that, the Lakers have done a pretty good job since. They actually got some shooters.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1504 on: July 06, 2019, 04:08:34 PM »
I think the main person in the laker blogosphere I am seeing is Marcus Morris but he may not come.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1505 on: July 06, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
Zion is out for the rest of the summer league with a bruised left knee.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1147600250653368320
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:23:16 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 06, 2019, 04:21:30 PM »
So who are our best guesses at Title Contenders in the East and the West for this upcoming 19/20 Season?

Top 5 in each conference (will the East have that many?).

In the West I can already see:
Clippers
Lakers
... (Jazz? Blazers? Rockets?)
Warriors

In the East:
:tumbleweed:
76ers
... I have no idea what happened in the East...
... Pacers, Bucks?

Someone clue me in, I didn't follow all the trades

I don't really follow the Leastern Conference, but let's see...

West:

- Jazz
- Lakers
- Clippers
- Warriors
- Pelicans

East:

- Nets
- Pacers
- 76ers
- Raptors
- Bucks
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 06, 2019, 04:32:15 PM »
I think the main person in the laker blogosphere I am seeing is Marcus Morris but he may not come.
Yeah, I'm hoping the Lakers can sign both Avery Bradley and Marcus Morris.

PG: Bradley, Rondo, Cook, Caruso
SG: Green, Caldwell-Pope, Daniels, Horton-Tucker
C: Davis, Cousins, McGee
SF: James, Dudley
PF: Kuzma, Morris

With that lineup, I wouldn't be that upset if the Lakers threw Carmelo Anthony a bone. Morris trolled a fan asking him to join the Lakers. He may be having some fun or is hoping to get a larger contract than the Lakers can offer. Cap space around the league is running low.

Still, I'd love to see them offer Pau Gasol a roster spot, but I think the Lakers may keep a spot or two open for the buyout market. Who wouldn't want Andre Iguodala? I'm not sure the Grizzlies will find decent value for him on the trade market. He's on the last year of his deal and expects to get bought out. That said, I believe the Mavericks still have that trade exception.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:36:55 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 06, 2019, 05:48:28 PM »
The Spurs landed Marcus Morris for two years, $20 million. I was really hoping the Lakers could pull that off.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1509 on: July 06, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »
The Spurs landed Marcus Morris for two years, $20 million. I was really hoping the Lakers could pull that off.
Spurs have been going after the Lakers options since the draft. They took Luka Saminac then. https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/6/20/18693432/2019-nba-draft-lakers-second-round-pick-options-talen-horton-tucker-jontay-porter-luka-samanic
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 06, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »
The Lakers bring back Alex Caruso for two years, $5.5 million. Good. Never forget. Bald Mamba!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:16:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1511 on: July 06, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
The Lakers bring back Alex Caruso for two years, $5.5 million. Good.
He's earned it after what he did during the tail end of the year when pretty much everyone was injured.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 06, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
There are some gems in the G-League.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1513 on: July 06, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
I think the Lakers either have no cap space and the room exception or very little cap space and no room exception depending on if McGee got the exception or took from cap space.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1514 on: July 06, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »
I think this is where we are at as far as players go.

PG:Alex Caruso, Quinn Cook, Rajon Rondo
SG:Danny Green, KCP, Troy Daniels
SF:Lebron James,Kyle Kuzma, Tallen Horton Tucker(rookie)
PF:Anthony Davis, Jared Dudley, Johnathon Williams(QO recended)
C:Demarcus Cousins, Javale McGee
2 way contract: and Zach Norvell Jr.

The Lakers did extend the qualifying offer to Caruso and Williams before free agency started so if THT and J Will comes to the main roster that would leave one roster spot left if not then 3 roster spots. If memory serves Caruso was on a 2 way deal along with Williams to end the season so that opens up one of those two way slots for Zach Norvell Jr. Lakers did recend the QO to Williams today. Could come back on another 2 way contract or minimum deal.

Looks like we have the Room exception of 4.9 mil and min contracts to fill out the roster.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:26:35 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: July 06, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
The Lakers signed Zach Norvell Jr. to a two-way contract. He’s been the best player on the Summer League roster.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1516 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
The Lakers signed Zach Norvell Jr. to a two-way contract. He’s been the best player on the Summer League roster.
That he has unfortunately I think due to rest he wasn't able to play versus the Clippers. Summer League roster came back from 22 in the 2nd half to tie it but they were not able to finish them off without THT and Zach Norvell Jr. 93-87

Looks like the Lakers are making the signings today official. The Lakers just announced that they have officially signed Quinn Cook, DeMarcus Cousins, Danny Green, Javalle McGee and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.   Now waiting on Daniels, Dudley, Rondo, Caruso and the AD trade to go through.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:41:27 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 06, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
I made the terrible mistake of reading some comments from Lakers fans who are hella butthurt about Kawhi Leonard signing with the Clippers. He’s “scum” and he “played the Lakers [and Raptors]” and [they] “hope he injuries his quad again.” That is in extremely poor taste. Fucking worst.

I hate any fan who has this kind of attitude when it comes to team sports. It sucks the fun out of arbitrarily rooting for a team. FFS, the Lakers are finally going to be good again this season (granted would have been better with Kawhi).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1518 on: July 07, 2019, 12:12:15 AM »
Out of those 3 the only thing I would say the Laker fans you are talking about is how he went behind the Lakers and Raptors back and tried to get a second star to join him with the Clippers.  I guess he tried to get KD to go with him and then there was reports of Jimmy Butler and then the reports of Kawhi asking for the change of venue for the meeting with Jennie and Pelinka and then meeting with Paul George shortly after the meeting where he didn't say much with the Laker front office. Then he had the Lakers request to extend the trade for AD to later today or even till tomorrow but then 2 hours later the PG trade was announced and he went to the Clippers. It felt like he wasn't giving all 3 teams a shot. Not to mention there was some reports that the Raptors had a trade in place to get Westbrook, George and Kawhi on the Raptors but that was an option but LeBron, AD were here waiting for a third in Kawhi all week.

Other than that yeah I totally agree those other comments shouldn't be made.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1519 on: July 07, 2019, 10:59:32 PM »
So I saw this on Bright Side of the sun's blog and it stated that 3 of the players that were draft day trades this year were not able to practice with the team because of the moratorium and they needed cap space to be traded into. https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019/7/7/20685350/cam-johnson-ty-jerome-jevon-carter-out-summer-league-phoenix-suns

I think the off season in general needs to be changed somehow.  I mean there was lots of draft day trades this year and you would see these drafted players wearing say the Lakers hat but that player would be traded to the Hawks.  I also feel like the order needs to change somewhat. Like maybe move back the summer league so all transactions are done by the moratorium and these incoming players will be on the right time and they have some chance to gel with their team and practice with them.  Maybe have the draft a few weeks after the NBA Finals and then have free agency as a whole and then team practices and then summer league and then preseason and then the season. Just some thoughts.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1520 on: July 08, 2019, 02:31:07 PM »
Avery Bradley for the Room exception for the Lakers. 2 year 9.7 million with a player option in the second year. One roster slot left. Either Iggy if he gets bought out or Kenith Faried on the minimum to round out our forward players are my options. 

Only question I might have is who gets the #0 jersey between him and Kuzma. :P

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:57:03 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 08, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
I know you take Kawhi if you can get him and worry about the rest of the roster later... but the Lakers fans here must be kinda happy about how the overall team is looking, aren't you?  Haven't followed super close, but my only minor complaint is that (like everyone else) some more shooting wouldn't hurt.

East:

- Nets
- Pacers
- 76ers
- Raptors
- Bucks

Agree that there won't be much change this year.

Bucks and Sixers should be the class of the East, and either team could make waves in the Finals if things break their way.

Celtics should improve and are the most likely team to show a improvement in the standings. The roster doesn't feel finished, but still has enough talent if they overcome chemistry issues of the past. (I think roster changes will help in that regard.)

Nets need Durant to play to be a great team; give them a year and they'll be knocking on the door, but don't expect a jump in the standings while Durant is on the bench.

Heat with Butler should be playoff bound, but it's hard to picture them getting a top-4 seed.

Orlando could be great if Fultz is suddenly great. Don't hold your breath.

Detroit should limp into the playoffs (if healthy) but is doubtful for second round.

Hawks have some nice pieces, but are so young that I don't trust them to win yet.

The biggest question for me is how far the Raptors fall. They were just under 60 wins last year with Kawhi sitting 20ish games for load management and a litany of injuries to starters and key players. Rolling back "as is" would leave them a solid playoff team, probably a second-round exit... but it might be smarter to take any assets available in trade for veteran players like Lowry and Gasol and drop further in the standings? Hard to say; Masai Ujiri has pulled some bold moves in the past, so who knows what his plan will be this year.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:45:36 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 08, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the Raptors falling too far. They're still in the Eastern Conference, where mediocrity reigns supreme. They still get to beat up on the worst teams in the league on a regular basis.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:25 PM »
The reigning 3 to 5 teams in the East are pretty damn good. It's just that they have a lot of mediocre company.
;)

This just in: statistically, the Raptors are guaranteed to win the championship for the next two years! 
(What stupic statistic am I cherry-picking here? The recent signing of Patrick McCaw to a two year deal. His team has won more games over the past three years than any other. He has won the championship every year since joining the league. Don't hate on the analytics.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 09, 2019, 12:21:18 AM »
Patrick McCaw is just Norris Cole 2.0.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV