Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126043 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Just came here to post Chibi Robo for Smash.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
If there is another Kong added I think Dixie deserves it.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2020, 02:45:39 PM »
Six characters to be announced, and we have really nothing to go on.  Nintendo picked these again, right?  So, the cross-promotion factor could be really big.  Like the Gen 8 Pokemon coming around the time of one of the SwSh DLC drops.

Still pulling for Travis Touchdown.  Especially with No More Heroes 3 coming.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
At this point Dixie wouldn’t add much. And we have 3 kongs. I don’t need any more characters from franchises represented. I want franchises that haven’t been represented. Give me Drill Dozer, Custom Robo, Bomberman (personal favorite) Random F-Zero character with skins for other characters. And other back catalog

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 16, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
I'd love Cranky Kong with pogo-cane mechanics, but aside form that I'd agree the Kong roster is pretty well done.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2020, 01:18:34 AM »
I am personally really happy about the inclusion of an ARMS combatant.  I know it is a new franchise and people are may want a more popular character, but personally it is a Nintendo franchise, and it is a character that can add a very different fighting style. 

I imagine long reaching attacks that are powerful, but if you miss you are left open.  Special moves could be based on the different gloves, and obviously recover is hookshot like mechanics seems like a fun character to me.  And if the rumors are true that they will add several characters from the franchise via different skins that is even more fun. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:49 AM »
It's sort of funny how when Smash Ultimate was first announced, many people expected an ARMS character to be included. Then that whole expectation went away particularly with how the DLC went. Personally, I had already figured an ARMS character would probably be included in the next Smash game (if there is another) since it would probably have to rely more in Nintendo's own characters at that point. The announcement was a pleasant surprise to me.

Once again, I found myself disagreeing with Broodwars assessment:

Nintendo: "Yeah, we know no one's going to get excited for this one, so we just thought we'd warn you ahead of time that the next Smash character is from ARMS."

Yeah, I know. I just think it's very telling that Nintendo went out of their way to avoid a repeat of the Byleth reveal by letting them know not to expect an amazing next DLC character.

If Nintendo was worried about the reception for an ARMS character then I don't think they needed to worry that much. People already seem more optimistic just from the news that it is an ARMS character compared to the Byleth reception. I know I'm pumped about it. Difference between this and Byleth (besides the fact I've played ARMS but not a single FE games) is that Smash fans were already critical of the amount of FE characters and swordsman that were in the game back when Chrom seemed overkill. Since Chrome was just an "Echo", he was begrudgingly accepted since it meant he shouldn't have had used up that much development time. To have another FE character show up in the DLC just felt like an uninspired choice and an already redundant character. On the other hand, I do know a few people who have played Three Houses and were quite happy with the inclusion. I'm not going to say it was a universally panned pick but it definitely wasn't popular primarily in part because the game isn't lacking in FE swordsman representation.

It is lacking in ARMS representation so I'm curious to see how it is integrated. A big reason for that is because I feel that what was holding ARMS back (see what I did there) somewhat from being enthusiastically received and accepted by Nintendo fans like Splatoon and Smash was its speed. When playing the game, it takes a bit of time for a punch to land. While other moves can be activated faster like jumping, the extending and recoiling of arms has these delays. When playing it, I thought about Smash and how getting in close and making an immediate punch or move is very satisfying. From what I've seen with Splatoon, it is also a very fast paced game and shooter. ARMS doesn't seem to quite have that top gear of speed. I think it is an intentional choice to be more of a chess match but it can be annoying when you enter a command but by the time your arms are heading towards a player, the situation may have changed and you'd be wishing you did something else. I'm looking forward to the Smash Direct for the ARMS character to see what it looks like when they are played at Smash speed.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:16 AM »
Since Spring Man is an assist trophy it seems less likely, thought not without precedent, that he would become playable. My guess is Min-Min, who is really popular with fans and the devs. This is not a personal bias as I main Mechanica. Also, it is a good time to play since a lot of people are in party mode with the free online access.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
Since Spring Man is an assist trophy it seems less likely, thought not without precedent, that he would become playable. My guess is Min-Min, who is really popular with fans and the devs. This is not a personal bias as I main Mechanica. Also, it is a good time to play since a lot of people are in party mode with the free online access.

If Spring Man becomes playable then all bets are off, one of the remaining five will be Waluigi.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
Since Spring Man is an assist trophy it seems less likely, thought not without precedent, that he would become playable.

I think this is an unprecedented situation.  Sakurai said he didn't have the time to implement an ARMS character properly, so my guess is that with Spring Man, he did just enough to have him in there as an assist trophy.  But now, Sakurai has extra time since there's a second DLC wave.  This might be the first time he'd had the chance to go back to the well from earlier in the development cycle.  I mean, Little Mac only got upgraded from being an assist trophy because there was a whole new game for that to happen (same with Isabelle and Dark Samus).

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #585 on: April 03, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
So maybe Spring Man will disappear as an assist trophy.  Then I have my fingers crossed Bomberman could be a real character.  I still want him in the game.

My 5 characters I would love to see:

1) Arms Character
2) Bomberman
3) Mike Jones (Star Tropics)
4) Popeye (Look it is a long shot, but man that would be Amazing for the history of it.)
5) Jill (Drill Doser)
6) Tails/Doctor Robotonik. But honestly Doctor Robotonik could just be a boss battle. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 22, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
A lot of piss and vinegar in the ResetEra thread regarding Min Min over Twintelle, who was admittedly my choice. I never played ARMS so I picked Twintelle for representation and because I like the design. Choosing an ARMS character who doesn't use her arms would admittedly be kind of weird. I totally get why people are upset about this.

Here's how to make it right:

1. Port Xenoblade Chronicles X to Switch.
2. Pair its announcement with Elma's newcomer reveal trailer in Fighter Pass Vol. 2.
3. Start the trailer with Elma shooting lasers at Rex because his design is terrible (besides the incomprehensible heels, Elma's design is excellent)
4. Bonus: Announce Doc Louis as free DLC. He's an Echo Fighter of Little Mac who is weaker and heavier but has a much better jump. His final smash is he rips his red track suit jacket off to reveal the leopard print shirt. Everyone is immediately KO'd.

Anyway, my 7 Day Trial of Nintendo Switch Online ended today. Some takeaways regarding playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online for a week:

1. I'm bad at Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Granted, I primarily used Palutena, and no one uses Palutena.
2. Joker and Byleth are super popular choices. I encountered both quite frequently.
3. Listen to Sakurai. If you're interested in playing online, make sure you have the LAN Adapter.
4. I completed all the Online mode Challenges so I never have to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online again.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 22, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
1. I'm bad at Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Granted, I primarily used Palutena, and no one uses Palutena.

I wonder if she was nerfed because back in early 2019 a lot of people were using her at the time.  I remember some of the early tier list had her pretty high.  Reminds me of the early days of Smash Wii U I kept getting paired with Robin opponents, then I come back a year later and no one was using them anymore.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #588 on: June 22, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »
A lot of piss and vinegar in the ResetEra thread regarding Min Min over Twintelle, who was admittedly my choice. I never played ARMS so I picked Twintelle for representation and because I like the design. Choosing an ARMS character who doesn't use her arms would admittedly be kind of weird. I totally get why people are upset about this.

I like Twintelle better as a character, but I think Min Min made the most sense for the reason you mentioned.  I don't think it's worth being upset over though because I think most of us, when looking at the ARMS roster, did or would have assumed she'd be the choice.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 18, 2020, 09:16:28 PM »
I called the Arms Switch ability before it was cool.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 04, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »
BUMPITY BUMP BUMP!!!

Is anyone interested in doing a game night for this game?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 05, 2021, 02:03:22 AM »
Dixie Kong now! Dixie Kong tomorrow! Dixie Kong forever! I don't want an overly complex character that needs to manage odd traits. Dixie's name used to be on the front of game boxes! In Japan isn't it called Super Donkey Kong 2, Diddy & Dixie?

I would have imagined that by now Sakurai would have tried to revisit some of his Brawl Dixie ideas. It's been so long. Though I do have this suspicion that Nintendo as a whole is trying to raise her profile(well Donkey Kong's in general) especially after seeing the treatment she got for Mario Kart Tour. Smash is a logical step for some super secret grand plan.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #592 on: February 05, 2021, 04:00:24 AM »
Dixie Kong now! Dixie Kong tomorrow! Dixie Kong forever! I don't want an overly complex character that needs to manage odd traits. Dixie's name used to be on the front of game boxes! In Japan isn't it called Super Donkey Kong 2, Diddy & Dixie?

I would have imagined that by now Sakurai would have tried to revisit some of his Brawl Dixie ideas. It's been so long. Though I do have this suspicion that Nintendo as a whole is trying to raise her profile(well Donkey Kong's in general) especially after seeing the treatment she got for Mario Kart Tour. Smash is a logical step for some super secret grand plan.

I have to agree with this.  Some of these download characters have had very complex gimmicks that just aren't very fun.  I thought I would love but it just wasn't fun.  I want a simple Nintendo character that will be fun to play.  Though I must admit after saying all this, I loved Terry Bogart to death in Smash.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »
Terry's traits are probably easier to wrap ones head around as it's more or less a come back mechanic. Well to me any way. Between Terry, Lucario and Joker I feel like their unique gimmicks aren't too intrusive to the way I prefer to play Smash. Although Terry does have the fighting game inputs like Ryu as well right?

Ridley being the way he is was an absolute God send for me. He's relatively simple in execution and with that my mind is at ease to get really comfortable and creative with him. His off stage game is so good and so fun! Grabbing people mid air, carrying them under the stage, waiting for them to tech, jump up for a froward air to smash them into the underside again while I comfortably fly back up to the top is just so good!

I like that complex characters exist for those who want them but even someone like Hero is a bit much for me just because of the vast options involved. Ryu, Steve, Rosalina & Luma along with the Ice Climbers are too much for me. When someone that is a little more straight forward is revealed I get pretty happy. Though admittedly as long as I love the character it usually doesn't matter how they play, I learn them super willingly.

This doesn't apply to Diddy Kong however. Diddy is my boy! I love me some Diddy Kong! In Smash however, the banana, the peanut pop gun and rocket barrel just sour me on the character so much. I don't particularly hate DK64 but I don't love it any longer like I did during my first play through back in the day. The rocket barrel and peanut gun originating from DK64 irks me. I want a Diddy that uses only his natural born body to attack, not all them God danged monkey gadgets!

When it comes to Donkey Kong however I just want him to toss around barrels as a projectile. It's what DK does!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn