Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126073 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Is Your Body Ready?!?!
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
20 is a lot, and I think Sakurai and the team spend a lot of time already balancing the current roster.  Honestly, I'm happy that we're getting a total of 6 DLC fighters already (with the two released).  If Sakurai added another, I'd be thrilled, but I wouldn't expect it.

Homerun Contest and maybe a return of Smash Run would be great though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
The balance has turned out so well for the majority of the cast this time around I bet they could get away with 100 total characters and still end up with no character completely dominating over everyone else.

There are no Metaknights, Diddy Kongs, or Bayonettas this time around and it's absolutely amazing. Sakurai letting a team of balancers take care of all that themselves has been a blessing!

Bring on more fighter passes I say and for corn sakes get Dixie Kong in there!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 14, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »
I hope Banjo has a polar bear skin.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #553 on: June 14, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
Not a thing I knew I wanted until now. Thank you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC
« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2019, 03:52:51 AM »
I'd say that with the addition of the DragonQuest Hero, we can finally put an end to Geno ever being in Smash. At this point, I don't think we will see any other Nintendo characters added in the DLC. I think it is going to all be 3rd Party so that Ultimate will continue to further add to its stature of the biggest gaming crossover in history. There is always the next Smash Bros. to add in more Nintendo characters especially since there's a good chance many of the 3rd party characters for Ultimate won't be returning for such a future installment.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Super KYTim89

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
Just give me Battletoads in Smash and I will be happy.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
I'd say that with the addition of the DragonQuest Hero, we can finally put an end to Geno ever being in Smash. At this point, I don't think we will see any other Nintendo characters added in the DLC. I think it is going to all be 3rd Party so that Ultimate will continue to further add to its stature of the biggest gaming crossover in history. There is always the next Smash Bros. to add in more Nintendo characters especially since there's a good chance many of the 3rd party characters for Ultimate won't be returning for such a future installment.

Plus with the 3rd parties you get the added benefit of having some cross-promotion.  Unless Nintendo plans on doing anything else with that character, he's got no meaningful shot at being DLC.  The only outlier might be Banjo and Kazooie, but they count as an extreme level of fan service.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 16, 2019, 02:48:03 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if there's an N64 Classic in the works that will have Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing with maybe some other Rare games.  Nintendo knows Rare's lineup was a huge part of that system so you need some Rare games if you release it.  There was also rumors of Rare Replay coming to the Switch around the same time Cuphead was a rumor.  Well Cuphead ended up coming true there's a good chance Rare Replay could come as well.

Of course it should also be noted that Iwata did say he regrets not finding a way to keep the Banjo-Kazooie IP when they sold their shares of Rare to Microsoft back in 2002.  I imagine Sakurai knows this as well as other higher ups at Nintendo so there was probably a good amount of emotion at Nintendo to get Banjo in this just from that fact alone.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 05, 2019, 01:43:18 AM »
Yeah Geomon!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #559 on: September 05, 2019, 05:23:42 AM »
I really love how some of the Mii Fighter costumes are almost good enough to be the characters.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 05, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
Banjo and Kazooie are pretty fun to use. I only played against the CPU so Richter was just f-ing blocking everything even at CPU Level 6. I really like Spiral Mountain, very unique. And the remixes are just *chef kiss*

The rearranged character select screen looks a bit strange with the black borders once again more prominent. I wonder how many more characters will be added. With the Mii Fighters shown, there’s room for 12 more with the current size of the boxes.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:07:24 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #561 on: September 07, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
20 is a lot, and I think Sakurai and the team spend a lot of time already balancing the current roster.  Honestly, I'm happy that we're getting a total of 6 DLC fighters already (with the two released).  If Sakurai added another, I'd be thrilled, but I wouldn't expect it.

Homerun Contest and maybe a return of Smash Run would be great though.

In light of recent events, I am surprised and thrilled.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 07, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
With Terry from NEOGEO, makes me wonder about the final fighter. What major studios/franchises/publishers are missing? Koei Tecmo doesn't have anyone, and Capcom only has tertiary stuff such as Rathalos. So we could see something else.

In terms of genre/industry defining figures, feels like Rayman would be a good fit, but he is an assist trophy, so maybe that ship has sailed? Bomberman would be nice, but is also an assist trophy.

Spiro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot were somewhat big in their day.

A lot of folks were claiming Ninja Gaiden's Ryu was the next character, but would Sakurai really want two character sharing the same name in? Maybe someone else from that franchise.

Moving on the the next wave, it would be great to continue the path of getting 3rd parties in, but I do hope they round out some remaining key characters from the Nintendo side.

Waluigi and (Captain) Toad would be obvious shoe-ins.

Could easily get another Pokemon from the Galar series as that seems inevitable.

I know some may not like it, but a Fire Emblem character is probably coming too for Three Houses. My hope is that it isn't just one of them, but make the professor/Byleth act like a more active Pokemon Trainer and allow him to toggle a supporting student from the thee main lords to really make it a variety pick.

Geno probably my last "niche" fanservice hope.

For a WTF-Out-Of-Left-Field pick how about Chargin' Chuck from the Super Nintendo games? We could use a more sports related entry in the roster and aside from Waluigi or another generic NES character to represent those old sports games, Chuck could be a fun one. Have him tackle opponents and throw a ball at opponents.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 08, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
Capcom only has tertiary stuff such as Rathalos.
Capcom has the most third party representation on the playable roster: Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken. Don't disrespect the Blue Bomber like that, yo.

We'll be here all day if we resort to lists. I will say I low-key want to see Crash Bandicoot, OG Lara Croft, and OG Dante just to make PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale look even sillier by comparison. Nintendo already managed to snag Solid Snake and Cloud. Sony couldn't get any of the main third party characters that really represented its consoles. For trolling purposes, I just want those three added.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2019, 11:09:56 PM »
We'll be here all day if we resort to lists. I will say I low-key want to see Crash Bandicoot, OG Lara Croft, and OG Dante just to make PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale look even sillier by comparison. Nintendo already managed to snag Solid Snake and Cloud. Sony couldn't get any of the main third party characters that really represented its consoles. For trolling purposes, I just want those three added.

With Terry being added to represent SNK and the Neo Geo, I wouldn't be surprised if Crash shows up now.  I mean, even though Sony doesn't own Crash, he is the mascot to the general public for the Playstation 1 era.  Not only was he popular in the West, but his games were also million sellers in Japan during that time as well so he'd have equal popularity around the world.

The recent HD Trilogy and Team Racing are not only on Switch, but they sold pretty well too.  I mean, Activision loves money so I don't see them having any problems with Nintendo requesting Crash in Smash Bros to help advertise the series.  So if Crash is not the next character, I think he has a good chance of being in the next wave of DLC.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
For a WTF-Out-Of-Left-Field pick how about Chargin' Chuck from the Super Nintendo games? We could use a more sports related entry in the roster and aside from Waluigi or another generic NES character to represent those old sports games, Chuck could be a fun one. Have him tackle opponents and throw a ball at opponents.

I'd like Chargin' Chuck as an assist trophy, personally.  Seeing him in Odyssey hit me right in the nostalgia.

Capcom only has tertiary stuff such as Rathalos.
Capcom has the most third party representation on the playable roster: Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken. Don't disrespect the Blue Bomber like that, yo.

I misread and thought he meant that as what was left for Capcom to add, and I was about to demand an apology to Phoenix Wright.  Also, Phoenix Wright for Smash.  And also Professor Layton.  Then the Layton vs Wright thing can be properly settled.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 10, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »
Yeah, I brain farted and plain forgot about Mega Man and the Street Fighter folks belonging to Capcom, probably because they have been in the game for a good while now. Probably too obsessed with looking for new fighters and forgot about all the ones we already got.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #567 on: September 11, 2019, 11:37:19 PM »
I still have hope for Travis Touchdown.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 13, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »
Sakurai reveals Ultimate was his final mission from Iwata.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1172306041070964738

:'(

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 13, 2019, 12:39:03 PM »
Iwata's final mission for Sakurai has turned into my favorite game of all time. I haven't loved Smash this much in forever!

As for all the DLC that is on the way I have mixed feelings. On one hand I welcome anyone and everyone but on the other I just feel like 1st party characters are going to be left in the dust. Now going by the translation of the Banjo presentation it sounds as if it will be nothing but more collaborations with 3rd party developers but according to PushDustin's translation that isn't the case. Then in his latest interview Sakurai did talk about continuing his record for more and more cross overs so I can only assume the majority of characters will be 3rd party.

It's crazy to think the likes of Ridley(who I adore) got in before Dixie Kong. Ever since Brawl I figured she was a no brainer with each new installment.

With the DLC so far I'm happy with Piranha Plant and Banjo Kazooie. I count B&K as legit Nintendo Characters just now belonging to another company. They have been the 1st part pick in this current fighters pass.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
Why not both? From the sounds of it, they are open to anyone and everyone they think can work, so give us another 3rd party pass and a 1st party pass.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #571 on: January 19, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »
Bumping this for the final character of Fighter Pack 1 being Byleth.  Thoughts on them and how they would play.   Also I am going to post this video as a reminder that it is okay to talk about the new fighter and your likes and dislikes but please don't go after the creators of the game with threats and such.   

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LAKHVQZxM

Overall I like Byleth and they add a new mix of something different from the FE characters. I feel like Byleth is a good amalgamation of the typical FE fighter.  I hope they get lots of play. 

Edit: Weird that the video isn't showing up...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:11:48 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #572 on: January 19, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
What I saw showed Byleth to play real differently from other characters.  His recovery doesn't seem that great at first, but I do like the fact that he can hook and pull other players down, and that might be really cool for recovery purposes and attack.  His specials make him feel more like a Link mixed with Fire Emblem, the archery aspects are nice.  And I honestly like the idea of playing with all of fire emblems weapon classes.  I kinda wish we had another variety type as a full fighter though.  I would have loved the idea of a true Axe Fighter, True Sword Fighter, and True Spear Fighter...but then they are still swinging a weapon so would it really be that different?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 21, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm still bummed that it wasn't Pokemon Trainer Byleth with the ability to toggle between the three house leaders. But at least you get some weapon variety.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #574 on: January 24, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
I went and voted in the 2nd wave poll and voted for Malon, Nintendo Characters and the Monstars from Space Jam to be in the next wave.  I also have to say I love these silly polls.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.