Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126110 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Is Your Body Ready?!?!
« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »
Holy moly Ganondorf is a beast in this game.  Was able to easily do Classic at 9.9 with him and have just been destroying the Spirit battles.  Seriously, his Smash attacks easily KO most opponents even if they're around 50% it's insane.
Aren't the opponents in Classic weaker than normal? They certainly feel like they are.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
The fact that you removed the bad-language words from Luigi Dude’s post should not go unappreciated.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #502 on: December 11, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »
The spirit battle where you fight Ganondorf in a stamina battle where he has a beam sword was pretty tough, now that I think about it.  The beam sword gives him so much range, and just on smash attack from his sword was about enough for a kill.  Helped to go in with a character with a projectile attack.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 12, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
Aren't the opponents in Classic weaker than normal? They certainly feel like they are.

Even then he still got the meter up to 9.9 easily on my first try something none of the other characters I played as so far were able to do.  Plus the Level 9's in multiplayer Smash and more advanced Spirit battles can go down pretty fast with Ganondorf.  I mean Ike and King Dedede were pretty good at taking out harder opponents in Brawl and For as well, but didn't feel this dominate. 

Giving him a sword really was a game changer to me since he now has some great longer reaching attacks that give me more options, especially his Forward Special that can punish opponents that shield against the sword and the temporary stun allows for another sword Smash which the wider reach makes it more likely to hit if they start to get away.  Combined with the fact he's faster now as well has moved him from a character I would use from time to time to one of my new favorites.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 12, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »
I can't pinpoint what it is about World of Light that's drawing me in so much.  Probably the sum of its parts -varied match types, an interesting map to traverse, how each spirit battle has a ruleset and enemy choice meant to reference back to that character, the spirits acting as attribute modifiers for yourself and the ability to level up those spirts.  There's enough of a carrot there for me to keep going and dumping most of my time in Smash so far here.

That said, I'm disappointed that I haven't seen any cutscenes since the opening.  I wasn't necessarily expecting Subspace Emissary levels, but a small drip feed of them every once in a while would be nice.  There's a video section in the menu, but it's literally just the world of light intro and the game intro...

I've maybe played two online matches.  What's up with the set-up?  You can create your own rule-set?  How do they queue people together if you make your own?  I'm surprised they didn't mimic the "for fun"/"for glory" set-up from Wii U.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 12, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »
Can anyone confirm if you can both play with your friends and other random online folks at the same time?  I haven't pulled the trigger on Nintendo Online, and I'm curious of the pitfalls.  Mario Kart makes it possible but boy is it a pain at times.
Do you mean local friends or online friends? I guess I'll cover both.

With local, you can bring two players online for Quick Play, but you cannot bring more than one player into a Battle Arena.

For online friends, you can join the same battle arena as them, but it's clunky. First, someone must join a public Battle Arena or create one, and then give the arena ID to everyone you want to have join it with you, and then they can join if there's room by searching for that ID.

What's up with the set-up?  You can create your own rule-set?  How do they queue people together if you make your own?  I'm surprised they didn't mimic the "for fun"/"for glory" set-up from Wii U.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see that. You're not guaranteed to get your preferred rules, in fact far from it. You'll most often get whatever ruleset is the most popular, which in my experience has been 4-player FFA stock with no items on flat stages. This really sucks, because I want team matches on normal stages with items, and am also sometimes forced to play 1v1s which are really boring to me. Friend rooms are also more limited than before, as they are missing options such as having CPUs.

They somehow made the online worse than past games, which is really saying something as it was already pretty simplistic before. I'm no idea what they thought was wrong with it, as the setup itself was fine and people seemed content with it. I've seen a lot of complaints about the way this game's online works, so with any luck Nintendo will take note of the feedback and improve things. Most of Nintendo's Switch games have received updates so I'm hoping Smash will get some much-needed updates for things like this and not just balance changes and paid DLC.

The fact that you removed the bad-language words from Luigi Dude’s post should not go unappreciated.
If I were a moderator then that's probably all I'd do. Which is one reason I'm not allowed to be one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:28:36 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #506 on: December 12, 2018, 10:21:13 PM »
That said, I'm disappointed that I haven't seen any cutscenes since the opening.  I wasn't necessarily expecting Subspace Emissary levels, but a small drip feed of them every once in a while would be nice.  There's a video section in the menu, but it's literally just the world of light intro and the game intro...

Can't post cutscenes on Youtube if there aren't any cutscenes.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2018, 12:02:39 AM »
Got mine the other day. Still trying to get a feel for the controls as I've been using the Wii Remote with Nunchuck for the last two Smash games. Been going back & forth between the Switch Pro & Joycons in opposite hands to simulate the remote/nunchuck feel(I'm left-handed so the nunchuck was in my right).

I miss shake smashing...  :'(
Mission...complete?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 15, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
(I'm left-handed so the nunchuck was in my right).
I’m left-handed as well and reading this hurt my heart.

I use the Pro Controller, and this time I decided not to change the button inputs. On Wii U, I made Y (special), B (attack). It really messed me up when I went somewhere and didn’t have a profile. I’m still adjusting.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #509 on: December 16, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
I'm finally getting close to unlocking everyone.  Been playing on and off due to work.  My strategy has been to play World of Light and just back out into the main menu every so often.

Also, World of Light feels a lot different after you unlock a character you main.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 17, 2018, 02:36:49 AM »
Anyone else been running into a lot of desyncing issues with the right joy-con while playing Smash? Been noticing that a lot lately where I'll go to press a confirmation button in a menu or attack in-game, and the game just won't respond. Then a few seconds later, the buttons will suddenly work. I have to imagine that's a joycon syncing issue that's just exacerbated by how frequently you're hitting buttons in Smash.

I have all the characters unlocked now and am just doing the occasional run in World of Light. Have to admit the game's kind of running out of interesting content quickly now that All Star Mode's just a shadow of its former self & Classic Mode is just randomly interesting now. I'm also finding that I'm knocking out the Challenge Board very quickly now, with most of my remaining unlocks in Online & Adventure. Still incredibly stupid that you can't just use the Hammer on whatever, with the game locking it out on most of the challenges you'd want to use it on. I'm not going to even try to kill 4 Level 9 CPUs with a Meteor Smash in 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:40:21 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 17, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
Anyone else been running into a lot of desyncing issues with the right joy-con while playing Smash? Been noticing that a lot lately where I'll go to press a confirmation button in a menu or attack in-game, and the game just won't respond. Then a few seconds later, the buttons will suddenly work. I have to imagine that's a joycon syncing issue that's just exacerbated by how frequently you're hitting buttons in Smash.

No....that's a new one to me.  My Joycons that came with the console are almost completely busted, but that's more because I let my 6 and 4 year olds play with them and they have no sense of moderation when it comes to how hard to push a button....constant drifting left on the joystick, at a loss of what to do about it.

I haven't unlocked all the characters or beaten World of Light yet, but I've definitely slowed down a bit on how feverishly i'd been playing.  I find solo matches vs CPU pretty dull, and I've started hitting matches in World of Light that have just been punishingly difficult.  I'm mostly waiting on some friends to get it for Christmas so some online matches can be set-up.

Also didn't know if anything would be arranged in the forums for game nights.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I heard about an infinite assist trophy glitch, so naturally my first thought was to...

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 29, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
Where do you unlock Ganondorf in World of Light?

I’m mostly just playing through on Easy. Only Legendary Spirits are giving me a hard time. M. Bison was unbelievably difficult then I checked the YouTube. Mario using almost exclusively up tilt made this simple. I had to skip Dr. Wily and The Boss. I had no strategy for either.

The M. Bison fight reminded me of why I don't like street fighter games, it felt just like playing one! :)  I've been playing WoL on hard and that fight was like playing a vet SF champ.  Especially the spamming of hadoukens, and combos.

The other spirits you listed are intentionally supposed to be hard, esp "The Boss" which if you picked the left branch, you get to way to early to have spirits powerful enough to not take insane damage from their hits.

For those fights, I found it best to revist them later and to try to think of spirit combos that the game does not suggest - as a lot of times you can pick better teams if you have an approach in mind.  The CPU simply suggests very logical matches (strong wind, here is strong wind resist/immune).  The M. Bison match I finally won using I believe a Franklin badge spirit, which nicely reflects the hadoukens, and then spammed my own neutral special with Link.  It took a while before I though of trying that combination.

Another good spirit that the game does not often suggest it "super slow armor" or something like that [it's the polar bear from Ice Climbers]. That makes a lot of legendary or tough 1vs1 fights easier.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 29, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »

Had the same issue with Super Mario Odyssey or any title with the switch and I sent my joycon's in for repair.  If your unit is under waranty you may want to look into it.  The repair seems to have helped.  I think it's an RF shielding issue in the joycon.

It's easy to test, go to the joycon/controller test and start mashing inputs, I could show the drop in responses easily and it was fairly repeatable.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 29, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
Can anyone confirm if you can both play with your friends and other random online folks at the same time?  I haven't pulled the trigger on Nintendo Online, and I'm curious of the pitfalls.  Mario Kart makes it possible but boy is it a pain at times.
Do you mean local friends or online friends? I guess I'll cover both.

With local, you can bring two players online for Quick Play, but you cannot bring more than one player into a Battle Arena.

For online friends, you can join the same battle arena as them, but it's clunky. First, someone must join a public Battle Arena or create one, and then give the arena ID to everyone you want to have join it with you, and then they can join if there's room by searching for that ID.

Thanks!

I tried the free trial of Nintendo Online and can confirm the above.  Arenas are quite nice, but the auto search is not working (I cannot seem to search for friends areas even though I know they just created one and gave me the ID).  The other flaw is that arenas drop you out of the match to switch characters and the other folks can just start the match without you.  There should be a better way to handle that.  Oh and as you note, you can have local friends and online friends at the same time.

Otherwise, online play wasn't too bad.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 29, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
A Battle Arena hosted by a friend will show under the "Friends' Arenas" option only if they set it to be a friend's only arena. Public arenas created by friends will not show in Friends' Arenas and must be found by entering the ID.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 29, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »
A Battle Arena hosted by a friend will show under the "Friends' Arenas" option only if they set it to be a friend's only arena. Public arenas created by friends will not show in Friends' Arenas and must be found by entering the ID.

Ah, thanks for that.  I was wondering what the issue was.  That's a shame.  We don't really like 1vs1 matches so we want the possibility of others joining, but it would be nice to be able to quickly match up without having to share the ID out of band.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #518 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:20 AM »
Is the Dr Wily fight the one where you fight eight metal Mega Men and then Dr. Mario? I think I used a spirit with the "Metal Killer" ability and one that heals damage with KOs. That really gave me a tough time, but I also used Lucas to absorb damage and recover.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 31, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
For the Dr. Wily fight I used Simon with a spirit that started him with the Franklin Badge.  His Smash attacks have long range and incredibly strong.  The Franklin Badge reflects all of Mega Mans projectile attacks which is the majority of his attacks so I could get within a good distance, then stun them with holy water and hit them with forward smash attacks.

It took a few tries but eventually I was able to take out 6 of them before the Franklin Badge effects wore off.  The last 2 got some hits in but because I was able to perfect the first 6 I had enough stamina to take them out and then Dr Mario was a joke since I was able to stun him right away with holy water and hit him with a fully charged Smash attack that took half his health.  He didn't last much longer after that.

It also helps that on the Skill Tree I had given my characters the permanent Metal Killer ability and upgraded the one that increased Smash Attack power as well.  Those upgrades I'm sure helped give me a nice edge as well.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 01, 2019, 04:58:37 PM »

Had the same issue with Super Mario Odyssey or any title with the switch and I sent my joycon's in for repair.  If your unit is under waranty you may want to look into it.  The repair seems to have helped.  I think it's an RF shielding issue in the joycon.

It's easy to test, go to the joycon/controller test and start mashing inputs, I could show the drop in responses easily and it was fairly repeatable.

Hmm...I'll look into it. Unfortunately, my Switch is just outside the 12 month warranty. It was the model that launched with Mario Odyssey.

Incidentally, I picked up one of those Zelda Green Switch 3rd party Pro controllers a few weeks back, and I'm finding it a LOT more comfortable to play Smash with.

That said, I've been playing other things lately, so I haven't really jumped into Smash for a few weeks now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 03, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »
Well after 46 hours of joy and rage I've finally 100% the World of Light.  Wow, the whole final boss fight was just insanely epic.  I wonder if Sakurai was on a Shin Megami Tensei binge while making this game because that ending seems somewhat inspired by it.

No wonder he picked Joker as one of the DLC characters from the list Nintendo provided. ;D

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #522 on: January 04, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
So, the current DLC rumors are:
  • Ryu - Ninja Gaiden
  • Steve - Minecraft
  • Doom Guy - Doom
  • Erdrick - DQXI

Ryu makes the most sense to me.  The DQ character sounds like a good cross-promotion with pending Switch version, kinda like with the FE character.  Minecraft Steve was rumored for a while, I think, so it's interesting to see him back "in the fold".  Doom Guy, IDK.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
220 Hours logged in so far. Not just me though, my 3 and 6 year old often play when I'm not there but gadzooks I'm hooked!

Ridley boy... I often catch myself thinking, "wow I'm really playing as Ridley aren't I?" Couple that with those early weekend mornings where the wife and both kids are sleeping which leaves me with a perfect connection and no distractions and holy smokes I am in heaven!

I love how quick people are to dismiss certain characters. Think Chrom before release when everyone saw his recovery lol. Chrom is a beast and I kind of like it that he's over used. I enjoy that people sleep on Ridley because man I am figuring that mutha'flether out! Down Air and Up B recovery, moves that many write off as useless lol. Come play me and watch how I do it in my neighborhood!

When I'm recovering high I will Up B and aim it forward down. Holding up afterwards will cause Ridley to latch on to the edge. If someone tries to contest it they better watch out, that outer space drop kick is a doozy! Do the same move aiming away from the stage but right at the ledge and you can catch people with the same spike but it's even more unexpected! Ridley's feet pass the ledge before he grabs on so it is an awesome spike! Just takes practice.

Down Air man! Make a full jump off the edge and Down air an opponent's low recovery, before Ridley suicides use his last 2 jumps straight up plus Up B and you are back with all the benefits of that move and no landing lag!

Stages like Pokemon Stadium 1/2 and both animal crossing stages have a really high floor for the blast zone. In that case use at least 2 dull jumps before you down air off the side to catch someone, then 1 more jump plus up B to recover. The higher Ridley is the easier it is to use that move off stage and still make it back comfortably.

All 3 of my big boys can pick characters and carry them off the edge! I am loving this game! The balance really is something amazing as well! Such a huge step up from previous games!

Can I get a woah bundy?!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »
220 Hours logged in so far. Not just me though, my 3 and 6 year old often play when I'm not there but gadzooks I'm hooked!

Ridley boy... I often catch myself thinking, "wow I'm really playing as Ridley aren't I?" Couple that with those early weekend mornings where the wife and both kids are sleeping which leaves me with a perfect connection and no distractions and holy smokes I am in heaven!

I love how quick people are to dismiss certain characters. Think Chrom before release when everyone saw his recovery lol. Chrom is a beast and I kind of like it that he's over used. I enjoy that people sleep on Ridley because man I am figuring that mutha'flether out! Down Air and Up B recovery, moves that many write off as useless lol. Come play me and watch how I do it in my neighborhood!

When I'm recovering high I will Up B and aim it forward down. Holding up afterwards will cause Ridley to latch on to the edge. If someone tries to contest it they better watch out, that outer space drop kick is a doozy! Do the same move aiming away from the stage but right at the ledge and you can catch people with the same spike but it's even more unexpected! Ridley's feet pass the ledge before he grabs on so it is an awesome spike! Just takes practice.

Down Air man! Make a full jump off the edge and Down air an opponent's low recovery, before Ridley suicides use his last 2 jumps straight up plus Up B and you are back with all the benefits of that move and no landing lag!

Stages like Pokemon Stadium 1/2 and both animal crossing stages have a really high floor for the blast zone. In that case use at least 2 dull jumps before you down air off the side to catch someone, then 1 more jump plus up B to recover. The higher Ridley is the easier it is to use that move off stage and still make it back comfortably.

Don't forget how insane his Side B is.  Takes the opponent all the way to the edge of the ledge and is a grab so it can't be shielded.  After being thrown off the ledge Ridley's Smash Attack has pretty good range and power to KO players when they try to get back.  Same with his fire balls that can really screw people who are below the edge and are trying to Up B back to it.

The move can also KO most opponents if they're around 100% with some even less.  Very lethal for anyone not paying attention.