Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126141 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Is Your Body Ready?!?!
« Reply #475 on: December 03, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »
I'm hosting a Smash launch party, but almost none of my friends are coming. Anyone here free? :P
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Are you proposing a sequel to UncleBob's Smash launch party?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »
I was not at that party, but sure. If anyone* is in the area this Sat, PM me and I will share details.

*No bots will be permitted on site
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
So...Joker from Persona 5 the first announced DLC.  I was going to buy in on it anyway. But my group of friends are pretty excited about this.  What a curveball announcement.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 07, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »
I understand that announcement is a big deal to a lot of people, and I'm happy for them, but it does absolutely nothing for me. I guess it does really expand the list of possibilities for the remaining four, though.

Anyway, my first impression of the game is really good. It feels great playing with the Joy-Cons, and I say that as someone who's never really felt all that comfortable with any control option for this series. I just played some standard matches and one run through Classic mode, so I've barely even scratched the surface, but I like it a lot so far.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
I understand that announcement is a big deal to a lot of people, and I'm happy for them, but it does absolutely nothing for me. I guess it does really expand the list of possibilities for the remaining four, though.

Anyway, my first impression of the game is really good. It feels great playing with the Joy-Cons, and I say that as someone who's never really felt all that comfortable with any control option for this series. I just played some standard matches and one run through Classic mode, so I've barely even scratched the surface, but I like it a lot so far.

I understand, that's generally how I felt about Incineroar.  A couple of my friends in my chat group who like smash but haven't played Persona 5 felt the same as you.  I'm actually more excited about the potential level and music that'll be included, because that game has some jammin tunes.

Does it generally feel similar to smash 4?  What distinctions do you see?  I'm picking it up at noon, won't be able to play it til the kids are in bed later tonight.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 07, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
I don’t particularly care for Joker or the Persona series. However, I like having all the characters and was always going to get the Ultimate Fighter Pass.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #482 on: December 07, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Joker doesn't do it for me either, but I think it's cool there's a Persona character in the game.

Got to play for an hour and a half this morning.  I really like the adventure mode so far.  I've been playing with a GC controller (from the Smash 4 release).  Controls feel good and a little fast.  Need to re-adjust to the GC controller though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 07, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
Stage Morph is the greatest thing ever.

That said, the game needs to stop making me reselect my fighter after every match.

Also can we get an option to sort stages by series?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:47:07 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 07, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
Finally got to play my copy this evening after work, and...man, I'm rusty at Smash.

That said, holy ****...Classic Mode is actually good now that it has character-specific bosses and challenges!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
I've only been able to play for a few hours but I'm really loving Adventure mode.  It's basically Event mode on steroids which is awesome to me since Event matches were my favorite parts of the previous Smash Bros.  I found Normal mode kind of easy so I switch to Hard mode and have been having a blast since.  Of course I've been making it even harder for myself since you get better rewards for not only playing on Hard but also making sure the Spirit team you have is actually at a disadvantage to your opponents.  This has lead to some matches becoming very frustrating but I do love figuring out a strategy to overcome the match.  It actually creates quite a bit a strategy trying to think of which characters I've unlocked so far are best suited for each match and what spirits I have can help out the best, but not too much since I want my team to still be considered at a disadvantage.

Of course for anyone else that might have started on Easy or Normal but aren't finding it too challenging and wants to play on Hard, you don't need to make a new file to play it, just go to the options menu on the World of Light overworld and you can change the difficulty at anytime.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 08, 2018, 02:59:14 AM »
I think I'm starting to get the hang of Inkling, who's the one new character I've really made an effort to try to learn. One of my mains in the last couple games has been Olimar, and she kind of reminds me of him in the way you have to manage her ink like Olimar's Pikmin.

J.P. Corbran

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 08, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
I think I'm starting to get the hang of Inkling, who's the one new character I've really made an effort to try to learn. One of my mains in the last couple games has been Olimar, and she kind of reminds me of him in the way you have to manage her ink like Olimar's Pikmin.

So, I've barely scratched the surface of character unlocks yet, but I ran across her in the single player, and I LOVE how their ink guns just cover everyone in ink.  My Mario was completely bright orange as the match concluded.  I love the attention to detail in everything, and the game looks great.

For anyone playing through the single player....has there been any cutscenes so far beyond the intro?  I was crossing my fingers that there'd be a healthy dose of fan service videos, but it's been dry in the hour or so I've played up to this point.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 08, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »
I'm liking the Spirits mode, it's like an extremely souped up version of the old event matches mixed in with the customization features from Smash 4. My only disappointment with it is that there doesn't seem to be a way to play it in co-op.

has there been any cutscenes so far beyond the intro?
I got pretty far in last night and have not yet seen another.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 08, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
I'm enjoying the game so far, especially World of Light. That said, I'd forgotten how exhausting it is to play this series, and the tiny left joycon stick isn't helping matters. I'm finding movement more slippery & less precise than I'm used to.

Anyone play this game on a Pro controller? Is the movement smoother with that? Never bothered to get one because I never used my Pro controller on the Wii U.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 08, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »
Have you tried setting the sensitivity to the lowest setting?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 09, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »
Have you tried setting the sensitivity to the lowest setting?

No. Didn't know you could do that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 09, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
I don’t believe Daisy says any variation of “Hi, I’m Daisy!” or “Here comes Daisy!” What is even the point?

I’ll have to do more comparisons. I think I’m leaning toward Daisy’s attributes (bias acknowledged). Her up+air kind of sucks, not sure if there’s a sweet spot.

Lucina is still my go-to though I just unlocked all the characters last night. I cheesed it through the go-back-to-Home-menu cheat. I was playing regularly on Friday, unlocking characters as I went along. I unlocked Lucas and all subsequent characters using the method below. It took about an hour.

For those who are interested: Basically, once you finish a Challenger Approaching fight and return to the previous screen (win or lose), quit the game by going to the Home menu then restart the game. Play any Vs. match (could be one stock with player 2 self-destructing) and you should get another Challenger Approaching fight. Rinse, repeat. I believe the Challenger Approaching fights are triggered by time, roughly 10 minutes of actual gameplay (menus don’t count) so if you’re in World of Light for a while, exit the mode and the Challenger Approaching fight should trigger.

I know some people like slowly unlocking characters, viewing them as rewards for playing the game. I don’t. I just like having them available. I don’t particularly care for the other modes. I’m slogging through World of Light just for the music. Once I unlock the rest of the music, I probably won’t touch anything other than regular Vs. and the various options available there.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #493 on: December 09, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
I was wondering how the unlocking worked!  I think I'll try doing the home menu thing because unlocking through World of Light is taking a while, especially when I find characters I've already unlocked elsewhere.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 09, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
Can anyone confirm if you can both play with your friends and other random online folks at the same time?  I haven't pulled the trigger on Nintendo Online, and I'm curious of the pitfalls.  Mario Kart makes it possible but boy is it a pain at times.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 10, 2018, 01:32:51 AM »
Holy **** Ganondorf is a fucking beast in this game.  Was able to easily do Classic at 9.9 with him and have just been destroying the Spirit battles.  Seriously, his Smash attacks easily KO most opponents even if they're around 50% it's insane.  Anyone having trouble with any Spirit battle should take advantage of cheesing it with Ganondorf now since I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai hits him with a major nerf in the near future since I'm not sure if Sakurai intended for him to completely break Spirit mode like he does.

It also looks like the day one patch added some music as well.  In the leak from two weeks ago, the remix of Yoshi's Woolly World main theme wasn't in the music rip of the game.  Well imagine my surprise when I played a certain Spirit battle and heard that exact theme.  So yeah, it looks like the songs that were cut actually got put in the game after all.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 10, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »
Where do you unlock Ganondorf in World of Light?

I’m mostly just playing through on Easy. Only Legendary Spirits are giving me a hard time. M. Bison was unbelievably difficult then I checked the YouTube. Mario using almost exclusively up tilt made this simple. I had to skip Dr. Wily and The Boss. I had no strategy for either.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #497 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:26 PM »
I skipped Dr. Wily too.  Rayman also gave me trouble until I got the Sheriff spirit.  There are a few random spirits that just throw me for a loop from time to time.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 11, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
Where do you unlock Ganondorf in World of Light?

I have not found him on the WoL yet.  But I have been using him to get some nice Spirits on the Spirit Board fights.  Playing on Hard the first time in WoL might not have been the most ideal since I've reached a point where even the most basic fights are kicking my ass.  It's pretty obvious to me now that Hard mode was designed for people with high level Spirit teams to actually have fun while using said broken teams that would normally completely destroy Easy and Normal.  I'm too stubborn to turn down the difficulty so I'm trying to build great teams from the ones I can pick up on the Spirit board before heading back.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
I got my pokemon trainer in WOL so I'm happy.