Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126074 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I mentioned this on Discord but here it is again since I can't help but quote myself: "Everyone was expecting a port and it's kind of like that but it's the ultimate portiest port it could be by bringing back everything from all the previous Smash games."

Here are the details we've got from the press release:

A NEW SUPER SMASH BROS. GAME
WITH NEW FIGHTERS, STAGES, AND MORE

Legendary game worlds and fighters collide in the ultimate showdown—a new
entry in the Super Smash Bros. series for the Nintendo Switch system! New
fighters, like Inkling from the Splatoon series and Ridley from the Metroid series,
make their Super Smash Bros. series debut alongside every Super Smash Bros.
fighter in the series…EVER! Faster combat, new items, new attacks, new
defensive options, and more will keep the battle raging whether you’re at home
or on the go.

FEATURES:
• A new game in the Super Smash Bros. series releases Dec. 7, 2018
• New fighters, new stages, AND every fighter ever featured in the series…
EVER!
• Inkling from the Splatoon series join the roster
• Ridley from the Metroid series also joins the fight
• Returning fighters include Wolf, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer and more
• Elevate the Super Smash Bros. experience to new heights with faster combat,
new attacks, new items, and new defensive options
• Hold a 4 player free-for-all, or kick it up to 8-player battles*
• All current Super Smash Bros. series amiibo™ figures are supported

*Additional accessories may be required for multiplayer mode. Game, system, amiibo and some accessories sold separately.

E3 Reveal Video

BnM request link version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCeEylbl3Oc

(Video is worth it for Sakurai's explanation of what Smash Bros. is.

Fancy Artwork and Screens

And most important:

Watch your back, Rosalina!

Official Site

The Smash Bros. Site is up and running with the Smash Blog attached to it. News for Stages and Items still to come on it. Click here to get to the site!

Other stuff to be posted in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:48:09 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »
It's hard to tell if it's a port because the prior SSB game didn't really have a proper name.  It was just Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.  Naturally a Switch version wouldn't use that name.  A remake of Melee and Brawl would be obvious because they would have "Melee" or "Brawl" in the title.  But Super Smash Bros. for Switch could apply to a port or a new game.

Maybe Nintendo will confirm but they might benefit from it being ambiguous so they may not be completely upfront about it.  They could say it's new but when the game is released SSB experts may then notice that it's literally the same game with a few enhancements.  Unless Nintendo says it is an enhanced port I feel almost like we won't know surely until it's released.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »
Either way, I want Nintendo to go back to the old naming structure. Clash/Rumble, whatever. Color me excited.

Here’s the Inkling trailer:

And a direct link for BlackNMild: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Gt42kVgCw

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
Like I've said before, the game will heavily reuse the assets of the Smash Bros Wii U, but for all purposes this will be considered a new Smash Bros by Nintendo and advertised as one.  Even though graphically it'll look the same and reuse a lot of content, it'll have at least a dozen new characters, new stages and some new gameplay modes to be considered an actual sequel.  Just look at that teaser trailer, if this was going to be an enhanced port they would have shown more like every other Wii U port announcement.  The fact they didn't show any gameplay and end it with the giant, flaming logo is meant to have an "Oh ****", something big is coming reaction.  They wouldn't make a teaser this hype for just an enhance port since like I said before, the majority of the Smash Bros audience still played the previous installment last gen on either the Wii U or 3DS.  There's no point in creating this kind of hype for an enhanced port when they can release a real sequel for higher sales.

Plus like I've said before, it's been over 2 years since the last Smash Bros DLC was released.  They made the base game for both the 3DS and Wii U in only 2 years, so I'm not sure why some people still think it's impossible for a new game to be made in the same timespan, especially when reusing the Wii U engine for even faster development and no 3DS version to worry about.  Then there's the fact there were posting back in 2015 that Namco was hiring people to work on a project called Smash Bros 6, which some thought was for the DLC but that never made any sense because these job postings appeared months after the DLC was already in development, which hinted very heavily that Nintendo was probably gearing up for another Smash Bros right away to avoid the long wait like Brawl and For had.

All you people who kept saying we would have heard about it by now if a new game was in development, guess what, we've just heard about it.  With the 2018 release date shown, which means it's probably intended to be their big holiday game, we can have a full reveal at E3 and still have plenty of time for them to have the nightly Dojo hype updates and it would be in a similar timeline like Brawl was intended to back in 2007.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »
Peas and rice, man, are you still on this? Does it even matter?

I explained in detail why I think the Super Smash Bros. on Switch is a port, and you ignored every single one of them. That’s fine, but there’s no reason for me to get into a big thing over it. That debate has run it’s course. I don’t even care either way. I’m going to buy it regardless. If you’re going to get all weirdly smug, that’s your prerogative. Have fun, sir. I’m just glad the game, whatever it is, was finally announced.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »
I figure it's going to be a "director's cut" type of game that will spawn an endless debate over what constitutes a sequel. Either way, it's gonna be heavy on the Smash 4 content in one way or another.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
It’s an enhanced port.

Deal with it.

#SpringManforSmash #RexforSmash
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Since it's a fighting game and there won't be a big jump graphically it doesn't make as much sense to make a new game from the ground up. I'd be ok with a Smash Season 2 kind of deal.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »
I figure it's going to be a "director's cut" type of game that will spawn an endless debate over what constitutes a sequel.
Ugh, count me out, but have fun everyone else.

I’m really looking forward to using the Switch Pro Controller in Super Smash Bros. After a year, I can finally say that I definitively like it more than the Wii U Pro Controller.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
Did absolutely not expect this to be announced through a Direct!
Splatoon footage caught me off guard too!
Hecka cool reveal!
Hype train officially leaving the station!
CHOO CHOO

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
EXCUSE ME the official title is "Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. (Working Title)". Please fix the thread title.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »
Linkle Link didn’t even include the trailer in the OP, did you really think the title was under consideration, Soren? DID YOU?!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. (Working Title)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
EXCUSE ME the official title is "Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. (Working Title)". Please fix the thread title.

Yeah, when I saw that mentioned in Discord, I thought about changing the title of the thread but it just didn't seem to be worth the effort. But for you, Soren, I'll do it.

Linkle Link didn’t even include the trailer in the OP, did you really think the title was under consideration, Soren? DID YOU?!

Just a lazy person that Linkle is. Fortunately, there's a trailer now that should give you all an idea of what the game will be like.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
Yeah, when I saw that mentioned in Discord, I thought about changing the title of the thread but it just didn't seem to be worth the effort. But for you, Soren, I'll do it.

They need at least 3 months to figure out that the "Nintendo Switch" part needs to go after the "Super Smash Bros." part. Then another 3 months to add the "for" in between.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »
BotW Link in the trailer but didn't look like Cappy on Mario's head...hmmm.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
Inklings and Breath of the Wild Link are a very strong start in terms of new characters, and whether this is largely based on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or not, I'm sure we'll end up with a good amount of new characters and content. Ultimately, that's what's most important. I'm super excited about this.

I do hope Ryu and especially Cloud return (one way or another). They were among the most fun characters to play in the Wii U game, and I would probably consider Cloud my main character at this point (along with Sheik).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
Okami, Doom Guy, Captain Toad, and Crash Bandicoot as playable characters in Smash for Switch or GTFO.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 11:27:13 PM »
I do hope Ryu and especially Cloud return (one way or another). They were among the most fun characters to play in the Wii U game, and I would probably consider Cloud my main character at this point (along with Sheik).

I'd have to imagine Ryu is pretty safe.  Nintendo and Capcom have a pretty good relationship, and Ultra Street Fighter 2 was successful on the Switch and will receive the upcoming Street Fighter Collection as well.  I don't see Capcom getting difficult when Ryu in Smash is giving their Switch related Street Fighter games good advertisement.

Okami, Doom Guy, Captain Toad, and Crash Bandicoot as playable characters in Smash for Switch or GTFO.

You know I think Captain Toad could have a good chance.  He'd been in 4 out of the last 5 3D Mario games including the latest one and even had his own spinoff, which is now being ported to the Switch as well.  Plus since he's a Toad, it would finally give Sakurai a reason to put the biggest Mario related character that isn't playable yet in the series.  Hell, he could even make Toadette as an alternate custom character like the Koopalings are to Bowser Jr, since you play as her for a good amount of Captain Toad as well and she's appeared in a lot of Mario related games including the most recent one.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the little guy makes it in.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 12:23:10 AM »
But Captain Toad doesn't jump. That seems like it could be tricky to make work.

And no to Crash Bandicoot. That loser mascot doesn't deserve a spot in Smash. He couldn't even qualify or make it into Playstation All-Stars where he most belonged but suddenly he gets to join Smash because Vicarious Visions is desperate for more cash so they're releasing his old games on Switch. The N on Neo Cortex's head was meant to be a dig at Nintendo with Crash defeating N. That franchise drew their line in the sand and they can live with the consequences. As the great RABicle pointed out on Pietroits when the N Sane trilogy was first released, Crash Bandicoot was **** 20 years ago and is still **** today.

So many, many, many, many characters I would put ahead of Crash. Heck, I'd rather see Spyro the Dragon included. Nintendo's even partnered up with the character in Skylanders with a couple Nintendo exclusive figures. So, that character and franchise has a better working relationship with Nintendo and fans. Imagine joining all the Skylander figures with Amiibo into Smash. UncleBob will look like a visionary genius for collecting them all and being ahead of the game.

The point is: Screw Crash Bandicoot.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 12:43:56 AM »
But Captain Toad doesn't jump. That seems like it could be tricky to make work.

They could pull a Little Mac and make him great on the ground but have the worst jumping in the game, so it'll still be somewhat true to the character.  Or they could do something to let him go into the air which is kind of jumping but he's not physically jumping.  Maybe put a rocket in his backpack so he propels himself in the air like ROB but isn't technically performing a physical jump.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 01:14:09 AM »
I mean they had to use the Duck to get Duck Hunt Dog off the ground so as I said it could be done but  it will take some thinking to incorporate him if they do choose to include the guy. He's just not a guy that screams Smash Fighter when I play him though so I'm not sure where he might be in the Smash Team's internal discussions.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »
Is it a port? Are any of the Smash Bros games much more than an enhanced port of Smash Bros Melee?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 02:37:13 AM »
All Smash Bros games (except this one, of course) are built from the ground up.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 04:07:55 AM »
I saw this and thought it was pretty good.

I do hope Chibi-Robo could make it in. I mean, Olimar made it in so no character can be too small. Just too big.