Author Topic: Super Mario Switch  (Read 3679 times)

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Super Mario Switch
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
There's a new Mario game!

- The camera is placed behind the back unlike recent Mario games.
- "Advanced techniques" like the triple jump and long jump return.
- Has a distinct Mexican flavor with deserts, cacti and sombreros.
- One of the themes I've picked up on is ice. The fountain in the town square has frozen over, icicles are hanging from the telephone wires and buildings, as well as big blocks of ice that can be seen in the second scene.
- At 0:07 there is an objective marker or maybe just some floating triangles in the town on the left hand side, this makes me think this first location is part of the hub world.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:32:05 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:10:59 PM »
The switch levels on Mario 3d World are pretty fun.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
Advanced techniques never really went away.

Long jump was in Galaxy and 3D Land /World games too, it was only cut in Sunshine. In fact 3D Land/World only added to the pool advanced techniques.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
I'm hoping for a world more like Sunshine.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
I only seem to be able to do most of the classic moves as peach. The only one left out is triple jump.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:13 PM »
Advanced techniques never really went away.

Long jump was in Galaxy and 3D Land /World games too, it was only cut in Sunshine. In fact 3D Land/World only added to the pool advanced techniques.
You are correct, Land/World get unnecessary hate for not bein' mah real Mario. Personally 3D World is my favorite Mario, playing multiplayer 3D Mario is an absolute joy.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »
Personally 3D World is my favorite Mario

Yes, 3D World is easily the best Mario game. I would like another game in that style.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:27:50 AM »
Very little to go off here, but it looks aces.

Seems to me like they've melded the tight obstacle-course emphasis of the 3D games with the older more adventurey formula, which sounds like a great combo.

One of the best things about 3d Mario games is that they're always striving to evolve the broad concept while iterating what works on a micro-level. We had two 64 style games, two Galaxy games, two 3D games, and now whatever this new thing shakes out to be, which I'm sure will be as distinct as the previous three formulations.

As a bonus, the Mexi-world we see here would seem to signal an aesthetic shake-up, which is always good news. I thought 3D World looked great for what it was doing, but I'm happy to see Nintendo broaden the pallet here, especially after the understandable blandness complaints stemming from the NSMB games. It could be pretty awesome if the different worlds take different world cultural themes. Sunshine was pretty narrow in focus, but I liked it's vibe, especially the later night-time tropical village world.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
I also don't get the hate for Super Mario 3D World, its easily my favorite 3D Mario and my number 3 favorite Super Mario game of all time.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World are really good games. I had a lot of fun with both of them and in the case of 3D World it's probably among my five favourite games on the system (which for me actually means something since I think there are a lot of good games on the Wii U). I'm really glad to see this early footage allude to Nintendo going back to the Super Mario 64 and Sunshine style of 3D Mario though. I can see why 3D World would be a lot of people's favourite; it certainly has its own unique charm and, like I said, I think it's a great game any way you look at it. But neither of those games quite reached the 64/Sunshine or Galaxy level of excellence for me.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
I personally prefer Super Mario Sunshine. During the life of the Gamecube, Nintendo felt that Sunshine was not as well received because of its difficulty. I don't believe that to be the case at all, as the difficulty is what kept me coming back years later. I recall my first time playing the game, though, didn't win me over. I had rented the game, and for whatever reason I stopped playing it and didn't come back until like a year later when I bought my own copy of the game.

I've been hoping that Nintendo will see fit to release HD remasters of Sunshine as well as Mario 64.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Looking good so far, can't wait to see more! I'm glad it appears to have some more open spaces and exploration at least on the level of Super Mario Galaxy, I prefer that style over 3D World / Land.