Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537915 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5800 on: March 16, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
Yeah I just adore Pacific Rim.  Whoever came up with the idea of a using a cargo ship as a weapon needs to be knighted immediately and their pay doubled.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
Just got out of Tomb Raider. It's an OK popcorn flick, but it's an adaptation of Tomb Raider 2013 in name only. It's ACTUALLY an adaptation (almost beat for beat) of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, with a LOT of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade. Yep, they do that. Yep, that too. Yep, EVEN THAT.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »
"you call this archaeology?"
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: March 16, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »
"you call this archaeology?"

"I should have sent it to the Marx Bros."

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: March 18, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
Just got out of Tomb Raider. It's an OK popcorn flick, but it's an adaptation of Tomb Raider 2013 in name only. It's ACTUALLY an adaptation (almost beat for beat) of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, with a LOT of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade. Yep, they do that. Yep, that too. Yep, EVEN THAT.

I completely agree with this.

My favourite part is Alicia Vikander. She built the perfect physique for the role (unlike Gal Gadot with Wonder Woo...) and at least looked like she was ready for it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:20 AM »
I don't know where people get their ideas about Gal Gadot. Gal Gadot could rip up Alicia Vikander. She has a bigger frame. Vikander might have some crazy abs, but Gal Gadot has reach and Krav Maga. She's 6 inches taller than Vikander.

Vikander would look tiny compared to Affleck and Cavill
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:52:52 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: March 19, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
In Tomb Raider, Alicia did some MMA stuntwork right at the start of the film. It immediately sets up that she's capable of what the movie puts out. In BVS through Justice League there wasn't any equivalent of this in the movies - but i think that was more to do with how the films tried to portray "warrior spirit" through costuming, props, and the one training scene in WW.

So the fault is Zack Snyder, as usual.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: March 26, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
Game Night

This was a fun one. Very funny. A few unexpected turns made for a fun wild ride on this one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: March 26, 2018, 01:36:38 PM »
Star Trek Beyond
I had no idea Idris Elba was in it. I’ll pretty much watch anything he’s cast in. The movie was decent. I was unpacking boxes while it was playing in the background so I only looked up during action scenes so I half-understood the plot. Kayla seemed like a pretty cool addition. Weirdly, Alice Eve’s character from Into Darkness wasn’t really referenced (unless I missed it).

Atomic Blonde
I’ve heard this compared to John Wick. Not nearly as fun, but it’s a decent popcorn flick though a little choppy in most action scenes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:31:17 PM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: March 26, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »
Atomic Blonde was done by part of the team that made John Wick so good hence the comparison. The action scenes has that well shot brutal reality that carries weight, fancy martial art breaks down into brawls, the fighters get really tried and keeping track of the injuries(The ending has her still wounded).

Unfortunately missing a part of the team(iirc a trio) made a greater impact than expected. The plot was a mess causing all sorts of flow problems and character motivations were ???. The action wasn't quite as sharp but the soul is still there.

John Wick nails it with a simple plot on top of a multi-layered world emergent from a few simple rules we knew about. They expertly insert motifs and themes without any attention whoring.

AB had no clear rules to ground the story. It was reliant on the audience knowing something about history to set the tone and place constrains. Given the average education level of the audience that was not going to fly well. It looked good, matching the era and the feel so it waasn't a total loss.

Star Trek Beyond: Damage already done, it wasn't remotely good enough to move the needle. Even if it was legit good the previous movies either burned out, alienated and insulted the audience enough that it was DOA, a funeral.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: March 26, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
Seriously, the only thing I even remember about Star Trek Beyond was the scene where it references Enterprise's Xindi War as the foundation of the villain's entire motive, something that would COMPLETELY fly over the heads of the new audience these shitty reboot movies were made to cater to.

It says something about how utterly forgettable the movie is that I have NO recollection of the movie's most infamous scene, where Kirk kills off a swarm of alien bees using the power of Rock & Roll (yes, really).

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »
Most recent movie I saw was Oculus with the girl from Doctor Who. It was okay but I didn't care for how predictable it turned out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
Most recent movie I saw was Oculus with the girl from Doctor Who. It was okay but I didn't care for how predictable it turned out.

This was a great lil' horror flick! I agree it's a little predictable in parts, but I saw this in theater expecting it to be awful and it turned out pretty decent. It's impressive how they turn a stationary object into a decent antagonist.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:33 AM »
The Cloverfield Paradox - This feels like a movie which had an idea it was going for, and then other writers came in (or the studio?) and then started ripping bits up and rewriting others. The result was multiple scenes which felt like the the actors weren't saying lines which a person would actually say, but stuffed in to nudge that scene in a different direction with no real care to consistency. Ultimately, this is a bad film stuffed with several very good actors.

Mute - Duncan Jones directed Moon and Source Code. Both are fantastic movies and proved that this guy can produce some good work. Warcraft was a bit of a wobble, but i feel that the issue is the inherent difficulty with video game movies rather than him himself. Meanwhile, Mute was a disaster from the start. A silent main character, who doesnt express himself in any non-verbal way, made it difficult to relate to him. The movie also looked like a low budget Blade Runner, which is weird because Altered Carbon came out just before it and looked exactly the part (both are on Netflix). There was also several weird story choices like a paedophilia storyline which ultimately didnt go anywhere or amount to anything. Once it ended that storyline, one of the other characters (who became aware) went off with him to celebrate about some other people about a point in a parallel storyline - no mention after that, that he plays with kids. The film also made several references to Moon by showing constantly to the fallout of that movie  all of which was to say "look we're in the same universe!"

I don't know how this came out this badly. It really needed someone to step in and help to make sense of certain points.

Ready Player One - A big budget, gorgeous CGI-fest featuring lengthy action scenes, all of which is clear and easy to recognise. Zack Snyder could learn a lot from him. Storywise i liked it despite how Wade "wins the girl" at the end and how i dont understand how the Oasis actually earns money in real life. But this is a great movie i could watch with my nephew, or maybe BNM with his daughter. I enjoyed this a lot more than Pacific Rim recently (which, once you've seen big monsters smash stuff up it kinda gets exhausting eventually)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:15:16 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: March 30, 2018, 11:09:42 AM »
Saw the Last Jedi. Reaks of **** you Disney, you gave me ****, I make a **** sandwich. Any competent director would recognise how fucked the everything was is but he seemed to make no effort to make improvements by directing it as straight as possible with a level of competence JJ wished he had. It's shot clearly which means the actors have put in effort which shows how **** they are. He makes no effort to hide the stupidity on all levels.

Hamill fucking owns and Fisher did good super women aside. Holdo is the only other person that is good although written like she was Leia, also pew pew.

LOL Poe the **** is wrong with you, acts like a psycho playing a videogame. Rey still effortlessly hyper-competent. Finn almost had his one moment but **** you.

It rips off so much from ESB and Williams doesn't give a **** recycling the **** out of everything.

R1 at least came together for the last third.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
I watched Last Jedi again last night too.  Hated it as much as the first time I saw it at the movies.  I thought since I had seen it and knew what would happen it would make it a little more palatable for the second viewing.  I was wrong. 

I don't remember the last time I was so disappointed in a movie.  After all the 'best Star Wars ever' reviews I was expecting magic.  It was not magic. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: March 30, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
The Force Awakens really killed my interest in Star Wars at the time. Probably more than the prequels. But then I ended up really liking Rogue One, maybe more than most people here. Still, I wasn't really that concerned about The Last Jedi. It probably helped that I didn't have cable so I wasn't seeing much in the way of ads or bothering to watch much of the trailers. However, while I was in the middle of the move, I was staying at a place and began watching TV and shows I missed from not getting TV like The Daily Show / Conan / The Food Network. This happened to be right around the time that Last Jedi almost released in theaters so there were plenty of ads for the movie and the cast like Hamill were doing the talk show circuits so I suddenly started getting really pumped about the movie. I was pretty disappointed at the lack of Luke in the TFA so it was exciting that he would be front and center and now that the lame excuse of copying/mixing A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back together to create TFA for a whole new generation couldn't be applied to this (and the goodwill from Rogue One), I started to get pretty hyped for the film.

I did end up seeing it the Tuesday of opening week and it was a weird mixed bag. I do like it much more than TFA but I still think Rogue One is better. I read a lot of the discussions in this thread at the time of the movie as it came out and a lot of people have pointed out the faults and criticisms I have on the movie. The biggest is how time doesn't make sense in this movie. This is all happening in what? About a 2 day period? The Empire has been so resurgent that this is all that's left of the rebel fleet because I don't remember them being that strong in TFA?

Even with those inconsistencies aside, I think the biggest problem with the film is that it keeps trying to have one plot twist too many. You see this in the rebel escape. With Luke, he's not going to help. (Ok, he is going to help like expected.) Confronting the Empire alone? I guess Luke's dead. Oh, he's actually really powerful? Don't pull an Obi-Wan Luke. Ah nuts. They're having Ren kill Luke after all. Oh, what? He's been manipulating him with a force vision of himself. That's awesome! Brilliant. What, he's disappearing? This manipulation was too much for him. So Luke is dead after all? Then why'd you just get the audience's hopes up that he outwitted Ren and was still alive. Argh! Sucks. One twist to many.

Some of the talk going into The Last Jedi was about Snoke and learning more about him and who he was so that was another thing that got me curious and wanting to see the movie right away only for him to be a non-factor with nothing much explained about him at all. It's kind of funny in a way but also frustrating. I forgot all about the mystery behind Rey's parents until it got brought up in the movie and with the way Kylo was talking to her about them, I was getting prepped for a reveal that she was Kylo's sister and that Han and Leia were her parents only for the answer to be nobody and that it doesn't matter. Which is fine, I guess. Anakin Skywalker came from non-force / inconsequential parents but it was such a weird buildup to a strange answer and part of me still isn't convinced that is the answer and that Kylo was lying to her and the next film will reveal her parents to be something special after all. That was another problem with the movie is that it keeps leaving you in disbelief, like, is that really how this character is going out? Is that really the answer to this question? Why didn't they hyperspeed the medical frigate into the Imperial Armada before? If the captain was going to go down with the ship anways, why not take a run at the fleet and take as many Imperials with you as you can?

And yet, there are parts I really liked. The whole Snoke throne room scene is one of my favorite movie moments / scenes from last year. Even the aftermath where Ren is trying to win Rey to his side and she's trying to win Ren to her side. I was wondering if she really would accept his offer and do a reverse Luke who rejected Vader and his offer and where things might go from there. For a brief moment, there just seems to be a lot of crazy places this story can go and then the bright lights of a ship being sliced by hyperspace is just too much crazy so everything settles back down to Rey and Ren sticking to their sides and going their own way with a traditional Empire vs Rebel final. But what if they paired together? What if Ren becoming de-facto Emperor while being pulled toward the light side by Rey caused the Empire to divide between Ren and Hux? Would the rebels suddenly join or be persuaded to join the Ren side of the Empire with Leia and Ren's connection? For a moment, the film and series really became alive with strange new potential but then it all faded away.

Really, though, I have no problem with any of the Ren, Ray, and Luke material and scenes. Hamill lived up to the wait of seeing him in this film and I just wish we could have had more adventures with Jedi Master Luke after all the training he went through in the original trilogy. So much untapped potential there. Unfortunately, with his hermit history now, it might be hard to make any solo Jedi Master Skywalker films since he doesn't seem to have gone on many adventures after the end of RotJ. The push / pull of the Rey and Ren dynamic worked a lot better this time and was when I was most engaged with the film. I like the opening battle and desperation of the Rebels trying to blow up the Imperial Cruiser or Destroyer (I'm not up on my Star Wars spacecraft) and I liked the spectacle of Hoth Redux and Luke's trolling of Ren. Unfortunately, I feel the rest of the film needed a bit of a rework or better awareness of how it comes across on screen. Unlike TFA which I have had no interest in rewatching since I first saw it a couple years ago, TLJ is something I could see myself watching again though most likely, I'd probably just want to skip ahead to the good parts sort of like the prequels. Rogue One is still the best Star Wars film Disney has put out so far in my book.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
As a statement, The Last Jedi sort of works.

As a second installment in a trilogy, it's a mess.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: March 31, 2018, 04:30:34 AM »
I didn't watch TFA or TLJ in the cinema as I knew it was going to be a **** show. Rian gave exactly what Disney asked in what seems to be one hell of a professional **** you.

You could see where and how every idiot suit with an idea jumped in. There is a clear A and Z. The path is a wingdings bomb site of stupidity. Rian gave a professional tour.

Luke was given the best send off possible considering the circumstances as he was meant to get thrown under the bus.

Rey is the worse student, bitches about not being taught anything while ignoring the teacher. "Why are you here?". While you don't have to buy into his emotional state he is teaching you about the force, the dangers, its true nature, how balance is BS which was always an absurd concept. It one of the few good things that came out of this.

The themes if you can call them that is garbage.

It opens all the shitty mystery boxes showing how empty and terrible they are. Gives bad answers to bad questions. *Kills Snoke with poor weapon safety, salts the earth*. Ben evil all along, no reason. The joke is the JJ might have to finish something for once.

Got to respect Rian's professionalism facing the impossible.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: April 04, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »
Huh interesting to see these negative responses to Last Jedi. I assume you guys & gals are maybe just more invested in the franchise than me, because it's my second favourite in the series behind Empire. By a long mile too; I thought episode 7 was a bit too familiar to what came before. Rogue One felt very turgid, didn't care for anyone except the droid.

That said, I've not seen all the films I don't think and to me Star Wars was always a really goofy franchise that prioritised spectacle over everything else. I have more nostalgia for its videogames on GameCube than any of the movies.

Last Jedi was, to a casual observer like me, a really cool fast-paced action movie. It had bombing runs, chase scenes, sacrifice in flashy ways, and did a lot of surprising things. (Well, suprising to me, at least.) I thought the emperor was the main bad guy, so killing him very casually worked well. Letting characters constantly make mistakes (Poe, Finn) instead of being infallible heroes felt fresh even if it did drag sometimes. Having the remaining bad guys be these snivelling lil' draco malfoy shits feels scarier than darth vader ever did, because these bitter egocentric angry guys feel more like real-world menaces.
The snow planet with red salty dust looked supercool, the ice foxes were cute, BB-8 is cute and funny as the slapstick sidekick.

Maybe it lacks the magic that longtime fans want, and that's a real bummer for them. But yeah, for General Audiences like me who come for the dizzying special effects, the striking deep red colour scheme and ice foxes are enough. It definitely has flaws and I've forgotten the majority of it, but just wanted to post this because the audience I saw it with all seemed very positive, so I'm surprised to see such harsh opinions. I hope the next one will be more fun for you guys!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: April 04, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »
Like 7 it is a bad movie. This one is somewhat interesting given it is competent in it's directorship so it's professional but is otherwise a nice looking bombsite.

There is infallible and then there is too stupid to breath which Poe glaringly and most of the movie falls under. It has those almost clever/cool and *vista* moments like Luke's confrontation but it is no where enough to save the movie. Even without the Star Wars baggage it is a bad movie.

Finn gets thrown under the bus where everything he does is pointless. He could have escaped in the escape pod and nothing would change. That screams bad movie when you can edit a person out with that much screen time and supposed importance with zero impact.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: April 05, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »
Finn gets thrown under the bus where everything he does is pointless. He could have escaped in the escape pod and nothing would change. That screams bad movie when you can edit a person out with that much screen time and supposed importance with zero impact.

Haha oh yeah I forgot most about that side adventure. Evan said just above here how the film works well as a statement, wasn't the whole casino planet meant to critique war profiteers and arms dealers? I figured it was maybe a continuation of something that happened in the prequels, like the arms dealers who trained cloned soldiers.
Other than that though, yeah it didn't add much, unless they're going to continue with the lil' kid in the final shot of the movie. I suppose the suggestion is nice, that the force routinely manifests itself with the severely underpriviliged. That feels very Star Warsy to me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: April 05, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
Considering the timeline of this film, Finn should have been in that healing pod dealie for most of, if not the, entire movie. Writing him out, however, would have been culturally problematic. The filmmakers went out of their way to be more inclusive (which is good) so having the lead black male in stasis would have been a massive step back. To this end, Rian Johnson painted himself into a corner by having The Last Jedi pick up right after The Force Awakens ended.

To justify this, Canto Bight needed to be a better (and shorter) subplot. There are numerous ways to do this. I suggest:

1. Lando Carissian is the codebreaker or just the general McGuffin to be on Canto Bight. And he, unbeknownst to Finn and Rose, has already been arrested and locked in prison. The reason is irrelevant.

2. DJ is Maz Kanata’s source (or pretending to be) who gave her the info that Lando is on Canto Bight. He finds Finn and Rose and helps them break Lando out of prison because getting arrested for parking on a beach is dumb. Nix the chase scene, get them off the planet. Finn and Rose can meet the stable boy shortly after landing while searching for Lando.

3. DJ still betrays the group, makes his little speech etc. etc. Lando joins the Resistence on Crait.

This allows the movie to have the commentary about war profiteering while making the subplot more important to the overall story. Including Lando links the sequel trilogy to the original trilogy and gives the Resistance a seasoned veteran in the fight against the First Order given their ranks have been nearly obliterated. It’s okay that their plan to stop the Supremacy from tracking the Resistance through hyperspace failed. That is a reasonable plot point, but there still has to be some payoff other than showing the kid in the stables.

Speaking of, to me, the kid using The Force at the end is meant to reinforce the idea that Force sensitive people can be literally anyone and anywhere like Rey (for now, anyway). After all, some random person had to abitrarily discover The Force at some point in this universe’s history. While it is well-supported that genetics can, in fact, play a role in someone’s connection to The Force, the point is it doesn’t have to. Being Force sensitive is as mysterious as The Force itself. In a way, this undercuts the existence of midi-chlorians. A person doesn’t need to be from an important, infamous, or even mildly notable bloodline. This will be true even if J.J. Abrams walks back on Rian Johnson’s decision to make Rey’s heritage inconsequential to the overal mythos.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 01:28:59 PM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: April 05, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
Speaking of, to me, the kid using The Force at the end is meant to reinforce the idea that Force sensitive people can be literally anyone and anywhere like Rey (for now, anyway). After all, some random person had to abitrarily discover The Force at some point in this universe’s history. While it is well-supported that genetics can, in fact, play a role in someone’s connection to The Force, the point is it doesn’t have to. Being Force sensitive is as mysterious as The Force itself. In a way, this undercuts the existence of midi-chlorians. A person doesn’t need to be from an important, infamous, or even mildly notable bloodline. This will be true even if J.J. Abrams walks back on Rian Johnson’s decision to make Rey’s heritage inconsequential to the overal mythos.

The kid at the end of the movie ties in with some of what Luke said earlier in the movie about how anyone is capable of tapping into the force.  Yes, it's true some are able to tap-into it easier and wield it more powerfully, but the message I got from it is that literally anyone within the Star Wars universe is capable of learning how to use the force if they're willing to learn.

It's a real democratization of the force and sets-up a narrative thread that could lead to lots of people within the universe learning how to use the force to varying degrees.  Imagine a scene where Kylo has hurt Rey, but then Finn and Poe who are weaker force users intervene to take Kylo on, or something of that nature.  But similarly, it could create a scenario where it starts feeling like the Matrix or DBZ where everyone has silly powers and removes the sense of gravity I like in Star Wars.

That said, based on Episode 7 and JJ Abrams being back at the helm, i'm kind-of lukewarm that episode 9 will turn into something I want to watch.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: April 05, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »
The kid at the end of the movie ties in with some of what Luke said earlier in the movie about how anyone is capable of tapping into the force.  Yes, it's true some are able to tap-into it easier and wield it more powerfully, but the message I got from it is that literally anyone within the Star Wars universe is capable of learning how to use the force if they're willing to learn.
Isn’t that what I said?
It's a real democratization of the force and sets-up a narrative thread that could lead to lots of people within the universe learning how to use the force to varying degrees.
I feel like this has always been the implication. In A New Hope, Obi-Wan says, “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.” If The Force is within everyone, it follows that everyone can tap into it to some extent. I’d liken that to athletic ability. Anyone can play a sport. Some are just more naturally gifted; others have to work extra hard and even then, they still may not match someone who just has good genetics. And if one doesn’t foster any of that, it’s just lost potential.