Author Topic: Australian Gamecube sales  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Game_Freak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Australian Gamecube sales
« on: February 07, 2003, 12:48:04 AM »
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/05/1044318649133.html

For the month of January,
PS2: 22,060 (Total 707,891)
Xbox: 12,206 (Total 226,412)
Gamecube: 1,569 (Total 58,916)

I cant believe what is happening to people in this country, everyone who i talk to about consoles has only heard of xbox. WTF, microsoft are &*)*$(& brainwashers! When the console with the best games is the worst selling major console in Australian gaming history, you know something is wrong with this sh!tbox country. If only Nintendo Australia put a GOOD ad on tv every once in a while, if i was a marketing guy for Nintendo Australia, things would be VERY different! Why is this madness happening, MAKE IT STOP! *breaks down in tears*

Offline mrcivic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 01:57:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Game_Freak
I cant believe what is happening to people in this country, everyone who i talk to about consoles has only heard of xbox. WTF, microsoft are &*)*$(& brainwashers! .......

MS has nothing to do with GameCube's failing here. MS has marketed and advertised the xbox properly, and once the Massive Entertainment Pack hit the shops, it started to fly off the shelves.
It's NOAus who's not doing enough to promote the GameCube.
When was the last time you saw a GCN ad on TV or store catalogues? How many months has the SFA demo disc been in the kiosk? How often is their site updated?
If a Cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about! - Troy McClure

Are you a PAL gamer? Then visit PALGN.com "For PAL gamers - By PAL gamers!"

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 03:38:10 AM »
Yeah, not even 100, 000 sold yet, i'm so dissapointed...hopefully the new free game with GCN will raise sales.
And a hell load of advertising.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 04:15:41 AM »
I AM disappointed, but I couldn't care less.
As long as my fave games come out here, I'm happy. It would take an absolute miracle for Gamecube to sell properly here, and I've given up on that. As long as worldwide sales are good, Nintendo of Australia will think of it as a job well done. If that provides them a mask to hide their shame for the lack of what they've done in Australia, then so be it. Notice how Gamecube sales are the only things they haven't made press releases about? There you go.

I'm counting on them, though, to make a BIG impression when F-Zero, Zelda and Metroid come out.
And when the next Nintendo console comes out.

You know something? I thought that the teaser campaign for Red Dragon was for Resident Evil (remake).
"To understand the origins of evil, you must go back to the beginning." After so many games, it does sound like their advertising for RE, but I was a bit disappointed when it turned out to be for RD. I didn't notice that the goat-like tattoo was on the back of some guy. I thought it was a new zombie. How fanboy am I? And there was no other writing on it. None. No logos, no credits or anything. Only a release date, which was a few days off from the real RE release.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 12:45:39 AM »
agreed Termin8Anakin.  as long i get the games, i'll be happy.  but it's sad.  i remember a decade ago, everyone had nintendo, and now, none of my friends do.

i just wonder if nintendo of australia have a low budget, thus the reason for lack of ads and/or nintendo of japan don't give a damn to help

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 06:17:37 AM »
"As long as my fave games come out here, I'm happy."

In fact, we haven't gotten quite a few games.  

Offline Mike C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 02:47:19 PM »
For those that are interested here are New Zealands aprrox sales to date since launch:

PS2 - 140,000
XBX - 25,000
GCN - 5,000

Cube is dying down under because the distributors barely advertise at all.  GBA sells strong yet Cube doesn't...
Always There.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 04:19:15 PM »

Originally posted by: AiAi

i just wonder if nintendo of australia have a low budget, thus the reason for lack of ads and/or nintendo of japan don't give a damn to help

Yes, I do believe Nintendo Australia have a low budget, but I refuse to believe it's so low that they can't even show a single advert on TV. Face it, they've taken our money and run. They don't give a crap about their loyal fans, soon enough developers will notice the lack of sales here and stop local releases (LucasArts did it with Pod Racer on Dreamcast due to it's low fanbase here, hell, even Sega themselves didn't release Sonic Shuffle)

I just pray the Freeloader makes it this time around...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 02:16:22 AM »
Inform Data for week of 21st - 27th April.
Australia.

Number one selling Gamecube Game DIDNT Make the Top 10.

Metroid Prime GCN
Units Sold This Week 711
Units Sold Total 7,717

Compare those numbers to this.....

Top 10 ALL SYSTEMS
This WEEK - Sold To Date

Pokemon Sapphire 2,814 - 21,319
Pokemon Ruby 2,500 - 22,338
Splinter Cell PS2 1,702 - 9,496
GTA: VC PS2 1,642 - 104,360
GTA 3 Ptm PS2 1,477 - 3,663
The Getaway PS2 1,426 - 39,442
V8 Supercars XB 1,277 - 8,061
The Sims PS2 1,222 - 13,328
Golden Sun 2 888 - 7,796
Harry Potter PS2 741 - 33,007

Halo - ? - 100,000
Super Smash Bros: Melee - ? - 24,492
Mario Sunshine - ? - 18,286
Splintercell XB - ? - 29,289

PlayStation 2 Console 4,730 - 617,689
Xbox Console 2,572 - 124,480
Game Boy Advance SP Cobalt 1,407 - 9,530
Game Boy Advance SP Platinum 1,386 - 12,604
Pokemon Mini Console - Wooper Blue 568
Game Boy Advance Platinum 387 - 28,727
Game Boy Advance Glacier 383 - 93,349
Pokemon Mini Console - Chik Green 334
Game Boy Advance Jet 324 - 29,601
Game Boy Advance Indigo 301 - 72,607
GameCube Jet Console 279 -27,624
GameCube Indigo Console 119 - 27,648
GameCube Metroid Prime Pack 77
GameCube Indigo Sunshine Pack 11 - 3,109
Xbox - Massive Entertainment Pack 52 - 81,903
Xbox - High Octane Pack 14 - 11,644
Xbox - Halo Combat Pack 8 - 16,042
PlayStation 2 + V8 Supercars 5 - 15,708
PlayStation 2 + Final Fantasy X 3 - 12,305
PlayStation 2 + Entertainment Pck 3 - 3
GameCube Jet Sunshine Pack 2 - 2,271

Market Share:
PS2 60%
Xbox 34%
GameCube 6%  

Offline Atma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 02:28:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Mike C
For those that are interested here are New Zealands aprrox sales to date since launch:

PS2 - 140,000
XBX - 25,000
GCN - 5,000

Cube is dying down under because the distributors barely advertise at all.  GBA sells strong yet Cube doesn't...

I agree with that, you see advertising for PS2, X-Box and GBA almost everywhere, but almost nothing anywhere for GC.

imo advertising is what's killing the GC in Aus, aswell as delayed releases (eg. PSO, and even once it finally did get released, it had no online support from Game Nation, and no Modem or Broad Band adaptors were available to play online with), which from what I can gather is due to the fact that it has to be translated into 5 different languages before it's released (for english region releases, perhaps they should release it english only? like England/New Zealand/Australia).  Really, unless NoAus is going to advertise, the cube is going to fail here.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
RE: Australian Gamecube sales
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 04:22:44 AM »
Hey, as long as a Nintendo game is doing well.
Geez, I didn't know Metroid Prime had such 'low' sales in total.
And f**k, look at the GCN console sales. Man. *slouches shoulers, looks down, tears drop onto keyboard, computer sizzles, PC shuts dow...*
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 05:07:15 AM »
Damn that is harsh.... I feel some what ashamed to be living in the region, things are so backwards here sometimes. I also feel somewhat ashamed because I import everything, japanese cube with U.S. games. I get it faster, cheaper, more releases than the local market. I am really doing a diservice to Monaco. I am with you Termin8Anakin.  
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 10:02:36 AM »
places like harvey norman hardly help things, it took me 10 minutes to find where the gamecube stuff was one day, only to have a slap in the face in the form of 1) no new games on shelf (newest was pikmin i think) 2) 2 posters hanging up in the back of the store (the waaaaaay back of the store where they have pc desks) proclaiming Harvey Norman 'the place for all your gamecube needs' or something to that effect. i was ready to slap the harvey norman employes struting around in their Xbawx shirts :\

Offline maniacmike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 02:32:52 PM »
Im a proud Australian, but u guys are right those figures are just F"@!king embarassing, its about time nintendo of australia pulled their finger out and actually gave a damn about competing with xbox and ps2.

btw : i thought the metroid prime campaign was a breath of fresh air, seeing a nintendo ad on tv was bloody fantastic.
we both know these children HAVE no future!

Offline iamtheearth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 03:39:40 PM »
$h1t man, this is a damn shame. NOAus aint doing jack $h1t to promote GC sales, and its nothing to do with its low budget, I feel that it just cant be arsed getting into gear and doing more to make sure that they ram the GC message down people throats.

Either that or they have got a totally mismanaged business plan, and are under the thumb from their Japanese parent to just sit low and not no anything that might jeopardise their already dicy position in the Australian market.

Damn, its news lie this that really inspires me to try and break into the Nintendo Australias corporate structure, get the top job ad really shake that $h1t up! (May not be correct corporate lingo)

The Earth

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 04:48:16 PM »
I sort of hate to say this, but can't all these idiots just get over themselves and their d@mn illusions and admit that the Gamecube is the best system.  They only buy the others because they're brainwashed into thinking their cool.  I've had enough with being nice and beating around the bush.  Gamecube beats the living sh!t out of the other consoles, no questions asked.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Wrx_Boi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 09:21:11 PM »
Well it doesnt look as if the free game promotion done anything drastic

But really not even 500 gamecube sales in 1 week that is sham.  shame on you NOA.  Shame on you

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 10:08:06 PM »
Somehow I really find it hard to believe that NOAus is the one to blame for this.  I blame it on pop Australian culture.

No doubt I just made a few Aussie enemies, but I think that people should be a little more brainy than to not buy a console with tried and true games, simply because there are no advertisements.  This is the cyber age.  There's no excuse for not knowing about this stuff.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2003, 10:21:33 PM »
i blame australians also so you haven't made an enemy out of me if you dont have whats 'cool' your an outcast here bigtime :\ its horrible.. and hence i was a 'loser' in school, despite the fact i had a ton of friends all of varying degrees of popularity.. ohwell :\

Offline cml

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2003, 11:03:37 PM »
Nintendo Australia is an absolute disgrace. I challenge anyone here to name any company in the world that has more going for it but possess a greater desire to out and and out fail.

I know probably 15* people who own GameCubes, and I would say all bar 2 of them would easily rank GameCube as their favourite of the current consoles. Almost everyone who buys one is more than happy with it.

Through a variety of ways, Nintendo Australia have just killed GameCube. I don't think there is ANY chance they can hope to catch XBox. GameCube is currently selling for AU$149 (~US$85) including a free game (SFA, SSB, ED or Courtside). There is also a boatload of pretty good software that can be found for $AU20 or $30 (Aggressive Inline, Turok Evolution, Rogue Leader, Harry Potter, Vexx). Now this is an absolute bargin in anyones language, but the unit is still not selling.

Worse than creating no image for the GameCube, Nintendo Australia have created an absolutly terrible image that is offputting to the average gamer. There is just no way that the average Joe walking into EB to buy a console will even be thinking about GameCube as a contender. They are thinking 'PS2 or XBox'. Or 'GTA or Halo'. Nintendo Australia have NEVER understood the meaning of advertising, and I don't know when they ever will. If they couldn't learn after the spanking Sony gave them last time, what will it take.

Their release schedule is an absolute disgrace. Metroid was released a full 6 months after the US release. There has yet to be a GameCube first party title release in the same month in Australia and the US. Europe is in the same boat as Australia, which makes it even worse.

I have lost all faith in Nintendo Australia.

Chris.

* The reason that number is so high is because I work in a company with about 100 people who, for the most part, are all gamers. Try finding 15 members of the general public who own GameCubes.  

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2003, 11:04:48 PM »
Are you still in kindergarten? If a kid judges you over the console you own, that says enough about themselves. Really pathetic.
Oh and these salenumbers are too sad for words, but hey if people don't want to play good games, that's their own call. Meanwhile, I get my cheap PAL Cube games from Australia, saves me about US$15 at least
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Unicron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 11:06:15 PM »
Why do I have that sinking feeling? Perhaps it is because this is the same this that happened when I bought the DC, well as long as nintendo dont turn stag on us, but I would see why, is it worth their effort to attempt to regain control of the market this late in the game, seeing that the companies are already develpoing their 3rd gen systems...
Also, I would like to say that it is not 'aussie' pop culture that is to blame, more of the fact that the cube came out so much later than the other systems. I own a PS2 and a cube, I bought the ps2 because it is back compatable with all the great games such as the ff series (6-9) and that they released ffX.
Dont bash the other systems, dont bash the companies, realise that for nintendo to get back into the race (in the future) they must release their console when their competitors are, or else face the same problems.
Currently Playing:
Metroid Prime
Sonic Mega Collection
Zelda: Windwaker
Chronotrigger (I will play this game until my hands no longer function, but even then, I will choose to stare at the screen)

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2003, 11:44:31 PM »
Well, I'm from New Zealand, its nice to know Metroid Prime is even out there yet. I preordered Prime a while ago (I should get one of the first copies here) and I STILL haven't recieved my copy. This has happened with almost every big Nintendo game released here for the past few years (bar the Pokemon games, of course). I know people who want games like Prime enough that they learn French and get friends in France to send the the games to them..... Maybe the sales here would increase if there was any stock to be bought?  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2003, 01:37:12 AM »
I know three people personally who have a GameCube. Four including myself. One is the guy over the road, another is my friends brother's friend, and another is my chick friend from Sydney (where I used to live). Kind of pathetic. When people ask you what console you have and you say gamecube they kinda laugh and are like "what a g a y console" and i'm like "have you ever played one?" and they're like "... no but it looks g a y" Anyways, i heard some younger guys at my high school talking about xbox, i just felt so let down. Funny how gamecube is such a kids console, but the younger the demographic, the less popular it is. I'm the only guy in my year at school with a GCN as far as i know. And i know pretty far. It makes me sad yes, not that no-one else has one so much, but more that it's harder to find games now. It makes me sad i have no-one to talk about gamecube to though... sigh... And one last thing, people don't know which games are good due to lack of advertising, so if they get a GameCube and a crap game, they'll think gamecube sucks, and want to sell it.

PS. Sorry, "g a y" was a banned word, for some strange reason. i was just quoting anyways. looks to me like someone is awfully defensive of g a y s.
Fin.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2003, 02:54:13 AM »
PIAC: Oh, don't worry about that "cool" stuff. It's like that here in Germany and I expect it to be like that everywhere (AFAIK Japan is the most extreme). I think almost everybody just wants stuff for its coolness factor, to justify their "Alpha male" status. Why do you think humans compete with each other? Coolness is just one form of competition. And a Cube is not "cool". "Cool" means expensive (so less opponents have it) and more importantly, with mature content, to prove how "mature" you are. Coolness has nothing to do with factual value provided. You can try to push as many good games as you like, but a Cube is nothing you can impress opponents with. Not until you invite them to a few games, anyway. And they'll probably reject that offer.
About half of my friends think SSBM is crap (most of all the CS-nut), the other half aslmost begs "bring the cube!", most of which had an N64.