Author Topic: Disney bought Fox: Fox Shareholders Agreed to $71B Disney Buyout!!  (Read 65754 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for X-Mas!!
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
The Cohen thing does get us to the edge of a politics discussion, but I do think it's worth noting that AT&T tried to get some insider info, which could throw a wrench in things.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 02:49:36 AM »
Here is an article that kinda points out why this AT&T/Cohen connection is important.
https://thinkprogress.org/why-atts-payment-to-michael-cohen-is-a-bombshell-edaa3a6acf4e/

If this deal dies, as it should given everything that has come to light, then Iger can stay as confident as ever about this Disney/Fox deal closing

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »
I mean it pretty much means that the AT&T/Time Warner deal cannot go through now. If it does, it's the most blatant corrupt merger approval in a long time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
I mean it pretty much means that the AT&T/Time Warner deal cannot go through now. If it does, it's the most blatant corrupt merger approval in a long time.

As opposed to giving Disney a further monopoly over the entertainment industry. -_-
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »

As opposed to giving Disney a further monopoly over the entertainment industry. -_-

Even with Fox, Disney is still much smaller and in less control than Comcast is.
Besides, who do you trust more to treat IP with care and respect?

And would you really prefer Comcast have more of an ability to not only control what we watch, but further restrict how we have access to it? Comcast gaining MORE channels, and becoming an even larger internet provider in Europe would probably be a terrible idea, considering how monopolizing they are in the areas in the US that they already operate.

Besides, I want F4 and X-Men back in Marvel's hands.
But I'm all for Disney trading a few things of interest to Comcast/Universal for things of more interest to Disney/Marvel, such as Marvel Amusement Park rights east of the Mississippi and Hulk Movie Distro rights.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
The Comcast deal is far worse.  The Disney deal gives them more power as a content provider, network, and film studio; but those are areas Disney already operates in.  Comcast has been making vertical acquisitions which give it more control over both the content and how you get to it.  With Net Neutrality biting the dust in the US, they could prove to be more of an issue in the market they serve.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
Just to be clear, I don't want anyone buying Fox. We've hit our limit on giant mega corporations controlling our entertainment, media, etc.

If Fox has to ho anywhere, though, I'd rather they weren't with Disney, who already exercised their monopoly of the entertainment market over theaters with The Last Jedi, if reports from the theater holders is to be believed.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
I'd rather they strong arm theaters for their highly sought after quality content, than Comcast continue to price gouge me for content and price gouge me to have access to it.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
I respectfully think we just need to change the subject as it's getting way too close to out right politics here.

BnM, what difference does it make if Comcast makes it more expensive to get the entertainment or Disney makes it more expensive to go to the movies? Either way it's getting more expensive. I can't afford to go to the movies any more, haven't in a while but I can still get fairly reasonable internet and cheap Netflix.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
Do you know any theaters that do a discount day? I saw Infinity War (again) on Tuesday for like $7 after tax. It isn’t bad though you have to plan accordingly.

Also, I’d rather Disney get Fox if only for Dr. Doom in the MCU.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »
Do you know any theaters that do a discount day? I saw Infinity War (again) on Tuesday for like $7 after tax. It isn’t bad though you have to plan accordingly.

Also, I’d rather Disney get Fox if only for Dr. Doom in the MCU.

Why? So they can kill him off after one movie, like they have all their other villains outside of Loki?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 10:31:53 PM »
Comcast is already throttling and capping people using the internet. They lobbied HARD to kill net neutrality. I don't need to go to the theaters to watch a movie, even though that moment of Disney movie muscle flex lasted all of like a week, Comcast had been at this screwing the customers game for decades. I use my home internet to do all sorts of stuff, such as watch movies, YouTube, tv shows, and if eventually gets their way, they'll be charging a premium for the piping, a separate premium for the service, and then another premium on top of that for the product. All delivered at far less than their best effort (as the market competition *should it exist* dictates), and with terrible customer service to top it off.

Fox is getting sold off, and of the two available suitors trying to claim the prize, Disney is by far and hands down the better choice.

With Disney, Fox will have the option to run itself mostly independent as long as they produce quality products. They have some major in house competition between Marvel and Lucasfilm to live up to.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »
Why? So they can kill him off after one movie, like they have all their other villains outside of Loki?
And Thanos.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »
Just to be clear, I don't want anyone buying Fox. We've hit our limit on giant mega corporations controlling our entertainment, media, etc.

If Fox has to ho anywhere, though, I'd rather they weren't with Disney, who already exercised their monopoly of the entertainment market over theaters with The Last Jedi, if reports from the theater holders is to be believed.

This is misguided. Disney isn't buying a news company. They aren't taking Fox News with them. They're buying superfluous entertainment.

They get a few extra franchises. Franchises that aren't being managed the best by the current regime at Fox. I would most definitely not want Comcast to have the franchises.

The key thing that they are doing is buying back Marvel's movie rights because Marvel was incompetent with licensing in the 70s80s90s.

Imagine if Nintendo wanted to make Nintendo movies with Nintendo characters and they needed to basically buy the companies that had the rights to them.

A good reason why Disney is in the position now is because of merit. They would not be where they are now if they hadn't made the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Not all of their own properties have worked. They've become Marvel dominant and are basically Marvel. Mickey's house was leaking until Kevin Feige movie in.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2018, 11:39:12 PM »
Even if they bought Fox News, they still would not be buying a news company (ayyyyyyy).
Klaue lived for more than one movie. Vulture and Zemo are still alive. The Abomination and Leader are still alive. Red Skull is still alive? Hela is (probably) still alive.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:27:45 PM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Klaue lived for more than one movie. Vulture and Zemo are still alive. The Abomination and Brainiac are still alive. Red Skull is still alive? Hela is (probably) still alive.
Most of them have been rendered figuratively powerless. Blonsky, Toomes, and Zemo are imprisoned. Agents of SHIELD even addresssed Blonsky still in prison. The Grandmaster was either killed by the rebels or also imprisoned. Hela may return, and I suppose it’s possible Cap ends up confronting Red Skull in Avengers 4 to bring that story full circle before Chris Evans fucks off out of the MCU.

Regardless, movies have to be treated differently than comics. There is limited time to tell stories so these villains shouldn’t keep showing up because the complaint would be that Marvel has no new ideas if it’s continually trotting out past villains. The choices are pretty much: death, imprisonment, and/or redemption.

I don’t have a problem with Marvel villains getting disposed of after one movie. My criticism of Marvel villains is how they’re handled in the movie they appear it. They’re typically well cast and well acted; we just don’t see enough of them. I wouldn’t have minded Ultron returning on a smaller scale, without his sentries while trying to regain access to the Internet (that sounds sillier than it actually is).

Assuming the Fox deal goes through, I think Dr. Doom (and Magneto) has the potential to be new Loki in the next few MCU Phases.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »
AT&T Deal is COOKED!!!

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/994942711693217792

CNN is reporting on it in the twitvid above.

There's no way this deal gets approved. Which means Comcast will likely save it's breath and money. Or so we can only hope. Iger smiles confidently.

And the Trump Tower records clearly point out that a meeting was setup.

Khushrenada Edit: I've edited the post because there was a complaint about politics. Hopefully this removes all offending political talk. I don't really see a need to lock this thread yet but just a reminder to keep it on the business and less about any potential political scandals being involved.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:47:49 PM by Linkle Link »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
And Thanos.
And Tony Stark :smug:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
And Thanos.
Yeah, that’s fair. Lock this thread.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
I respectfully think we just need to change the subject as it's getting way too close to out right politics here.

BnM, what difference does it make if Comcast makes it more expensive to get the entertainment or Disney makes it more expensive to go to the movies? Either way it's getting more expensive. I can't afford to go to the movies any more, haven't in a while but I can still get fairly reasonable internet and cheap Netflix.

That has more to do with your local theater. In Arizona we pay like $7 to go to a movie at Harkins or AMC. Well below the national average. The food is expensive though. A loyalty cup is $6 which makes drinks $1. Popcorn is carbs and fat.

Actually, the Alamo theater is also pretty cheap. The movie is $7.50 and they serve hamburgers, beer, and fish and chips.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
Just a note: I know the, um, recent events are tangentially related to whether Megacorp A will buy Megacorp B, but I don't want to see this get shut down for violating the political talk rule.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2018, 11:35:49 PM »
And Thanos.

That was my first thought when I posted earlier. Tony Stark has been the real recurring villain of the MCU ever since AoU

Just a note: I know the, um, recent events are tangentially related to whether Megacorp A will buy Megacorp B, but I don't want to see this get shut down for violating the political talk rule.

Did I step too close to the line? I don't believe I brought up anything explicitly political... not that I remember what I posted earlier. But damn... snitches gonna bitch I guess... :/ can't just not discuss a particular sentence and move on.

Well, hopefully with the newly appointed lawyer on board flappin his gums about how the guy at the top and in charge of the people who get to decide was part of the decision to block the AT&T merger, hopefully that guy at the top decides to double down on that and let the people that are in charge of making the decision make it official.

You think Disney will suddenly add some new friends to the House of Mouse once the deal closes? Like Freddy & Franny Fox

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
Not even close to political and it hasn't been every time someone has gotten fussy about it. Whenever you talk about Megacorps there will be some people who are affiliated politically in some way especially given the ever increasing charged environment. If you talk about the FCC, politics is unavoidable given the agendas and how it is (ab)used.
As long as it stays relevant to the merger I don't see much of a problem.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
You're right. Everyone here does a pretty good job of not wading very far into a political discussion when certain topics may invariably include some element that touches on politics because of the nature of that topic. There's always going to be some give and take on the matter and the good thing about it is that the mod team here rarely has to act on this point and, again, that's because the community here is able to post within that requirement and keep from going to deep into that subject.

Now, I'm not going to get too detailed about it as I do think the Report to Moderator feature is about anonymity (unless it's a funny spambot report and then I'll highlight those) but it wasn't an accusation that this discussion has become completely political and that this thread should be shut down. It was more a concern of whether it was getting close to or starting to cross the line. For the sake of reference, BnM made an aside wondering how Fox News would spin the story and then at the end made a reference to collusion and money trails about the affair (which isn't exactly a fact as there has been no legal judgement stating that to be so meaning presumed innocent and all that jazz). I decided to edit those parts out as they don't have much bearing on the matter of Disney and Fox and the most likely failed AT&T merger didn't need those details to make its point. I don't think there's anything wrong with erring a bit on the cautious side with regards to potentially political points like that and thus removed them in this case just to be safe that no one replied to them and took things further. That's all.

No warnings and suspensions were really needed and this topic is free to continue being discussed. Shaymin added a friendly reminder as well but, again, I do thank all the users here for their discretion in keeping the political elements light and low key so that serious moderation isn't required in the discussions on this board. You're all good (unless you dislike the things I like and then you're the worst :cool; ). Carry on.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
Not even close to political and it hasn't been every time someone has gotten fussy about it. Whenever you talk about Megacorps there will be some people who are affiliated politically in some way especially given the ever increasing charged environment. If you talk about the FCC, politics is unavoidable given the agendas and how it is (ab)used.
As long as it stays relevant to the merger I don't see much of a problem.

I personally feel that everything I was posting was directly related to why A may not be able to purchase W, and I do recognize that the players involved have P scandals and affiliations (lol pun intended), but you can't really delve into the why A won't be allowed to buy W and therefore why C won't bother to bid on F just to interfere with D, if we can't even point out what the players involved did to screw up the whole deal in the first place. No one even mentioning any unrelated P scandals and Affiliations. Those are just assumed because of who the players are.

So I agree with oohhboy on this one. But it's whatever. edits have been made. and I'll continue to update if the situation gets worse or the deal finally confirmed and finalized.

Edit:
Just read the post above me. And I guess I did dance on the line. But the "references" I made were about the counsel and the company. It's just easy to assume that it wasn't, but that was kinda the point of the reference. So maybe it was best to remove it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:16:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »