Author Topic: Just Dance 2019 keeps Wii alive!  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Just Dance 2019 keeps Wii alive!
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
This week sees the launch of Just Dance 2019, on Switch, Wii U, Wii, Xbox 1, X360, and PS4. You might note the absence of PS3, looks like that platform is being dropped going forward. 

The series is single-handedly keeping the Wii alive at this point, as the last release on the platform was... Just Dance 2018. With the Deep Silver-published Let's Sing franchise apparantly not coming back for a release on Wii this calendar year, if ever, it falls to Ubisoft's second-best selling franchise ever to keep Wii relevant. (Wii U has seen only a few more releases this year by the way, especially if we're talking retail.)

It's interesting to note how the first Just Dance in 2009 really focused on pop classics (Eye of the Tiger, Elvis, Iggy Pop, Baha Men, Gorillaz, Kylie Minogue... Cotton Eyed Joe...), but the series has since moved into more current pop charts.
Ubisoft is only this year taking a bunch of versions offline (Just Dance versions 2014-2018), which indicates they kept online support for most of these on Wii up for ages. I'm not sure if the Wii versions are compatible with their Just Dance Unlimited service, which gives access to the full song library, or if they support the smartphone-as-controller options (assume not?).

Anyway, who here has played a Just Dance game? What did you think of it? I'll admit I thought they were shovelware trash at first, but having played the 2018 Switch version changed my mind. It's a fun game, hilarious to play with friends, and it could easily double as an exercise game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Just Dance 2019 keeps Wii alive!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
This amazes me.

I mean, I like the Wii, probably more than it deserves. But who is buying new games for the system? Which retailers will carry it?  Just seems crazy that Wii U is dead, and a Wii game is about to get released.

So yeah... I might buy...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
I remember a few years back watching a video on YouTube about a guy who has a complete Wii collection.  He complained that Ubisoft kept buggering up his collection by releasing new Just Dance games, which he would have to seek out to make his collection complete again.

Years from now when the Wii has attracted more serious interest from retro game collectors I figure this last few Just Dance games are going to be expensive items to get... though only for collector's purposes since anyone that merely wants to play them can get them on a different system.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
Woof, a full Wii collection?! That probably needs an entire room just to store, no? Has to be one of the biggest console collections one could chase, surely. Although I imagine there's even more PS2 games out there, but maybe less of them with crazy peripherals. One of the Wii games came packaged with a complete exercise bike haha!

I might get the last Just Dance for Wii U, whichever version that winds up being, if it's indeed the last game ever on that system. Would be crazy if they discontinue the series on Wii U before they do on Wii, but I could totally see that happening given the sales figures on the franchise.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
12 years... Can it beat the PS2?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
It's keeping the Wii U alive too. I s'pose there have been some eShop releases in the past year, but have there been any retail games released between Just Dance 2019 and 2018?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
It's keeping the Wii U alive too. I s'pose there have been some eShop releases in the past year, but have there been any retail games released between Just Dance 2019 and 2018?

Well just one, really... Dragon Quest X All In One Package Version 1 - 4 got a physical release (admittedly in Japan only). Then there's the still-unresolved matter of Axiom Verge Multiverse Edition, which I don't see making it out in 2018, but that might wind up being the last Wii U physical release if there's no Just Dance 2020.

For a long time Nintendo of Europe also seemed to have a German TV game show on the release schedule still, but I can't find it now so that's likely been cancelled or moved to Switch.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
Just Dance has been one of my most played games on Switch this year which is a weird thing to say. The game has been essential in helping me get out of my sedentary lifestyle. As a companion for your workouts the game is incredible at the very least forcing you to get up, do cardio and sweat for a bit. But as a game it's been so safe it basically has its niche in the party game/semi serious working out scene. But as I've gone through different yearly iterations of the game there's been nothing new added outside of a few quality of life changes and Just Dance Unlimited. It's very odd that it's been this successful doing so little.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
I mean, all they really have to do is update the playlist to give their fans what they want.  It's basically "Now That's What I Call Music" with gameplay.

For the record, I also like Just Dance and use it for exercise.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 10:30:48 PM »
I suspect that the Wii and Wii U versions will lose support at the same time. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's version went digital only though.