Author Topic: DEAD CELLS (pixel art, not cell shaded)  (Read 3415 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
DEAD CELLS (pixel art, not cell shaded)
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »
Wow, I am liking this even though it isn't my kind of genre.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dead-cells-switch

It's a Rogue-Lite game, meaning every time you die you start at the beginning and the level is randomized. However there are tent poles through out the game that remain the same.

The level design is similar to a Metroidvania, but the enemies don't respawn unless you die. The focus is on action not exploration and you can build your character with new weapons and skills. Of course, being a rogue lite, you lose your weapons when you die.

The controls feel great. The animations are well done and the zoom level of the action is perfect.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:13:20 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: DEAD CELLS (pixel art, not cell shaded)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
I hear it's fast, fluid, and responsive. That's what Filip said that Boomstick said.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
This is not usually the kind of game I'd be that interested in, but I picked it up mainly because Neal wouldn't stop gushing over it in the staff Slack for almost a whole week before it came out, and I'm glad I did. The combat just feels so good, I'm not sure I've ever played a game like this with such smooth and satisfying combat. I haven't been able to make that much progress, getting stuck on the same boss for a while now, but it's still been very enjoyable.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 01:15:15 AM »
Man, it can be tough, the luck of the draw seems to be a big factor. I had a good run and got to the first boss, (I think he's the first boss, the Concierge?) but his health goes down real slow.

I like the ice blasts and double bows so far.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
As you begin spending the cells you collect for upgrades (get that health potion!), the runs become more consistent, provided you're not rushing with reckless abandon.

I got to the first boss once, got them down to about 2/3 health before dying, probably could have beat him if I wasn't trying to sneak too many shots in each cycle. 

I thought the framerate slowdown wasn't an issue until I hit one section I hadn't before (sorry, can't remember the name).  Holy hell, it just came to a crawl and there were awful sorts of input delay that ended up hurting me so much that I gave up and let the game kill me.  Has sort of turned me off to picking it back up until there's a patch to fix the issues.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
Man if you get the right weapon, you become a killing machine. I got a colorless War Spear (++ I think?) and I can mow through enemies, even elites.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
Man if you get the right weapon, you become a killing machine. I got a colorless War Spear (++ I think?) and I can mow through enemies, even elites.

Absolutely.  That and ice weapons are just devastating.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »
Just beat the Concierge with my killing combo! I have a Colorless war spear, a colorless shield, a level IV ice grenade, and the secret weapon, the cross bow-o-matic.  I have my cooldown reduced so much that 90% of my attacks against the boss were just me dropping the cross bow-o-matic and dodging.

On to Stilt town! These levels are beautiful

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
I just had my best run yet thanks to this crossbow machine gun thing I happened to pick up that did two to three times the damage of anything else I have. Thanks to that I finally got past a point I'd died at a bunch of times.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »
Stilt village and the Ossuary are the farthest I have gotten so far, I think I need a new rune. The Ossuary is no joke. I don't know how I would get through with out traps and turrets.

I now tend to do the purple tactics update path as that helps the traps and turrets the most.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
Boom, got all the runes! Second boss Conjuctivius was easier than the first.

My ideal play style has narrowed down to:

first Fast sword or spear
second: ice bow

skils: long rang non-grenade in both slots

build up purple tactics.

I kill most of my enemies with the skills and freeze them for a slow down when they get to close. Game still can chew you up if you jump into a bad situation by accident.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
How on Earth do you defeat the Hand of the King??

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »
I've been playing this some more recently and I think I've increased my skill level from "absolutely terrible" to "kinda lousy." I'm not as dependent on great drops as I was but I'm still usually not making it that deep into the game in any given run. I'm still loving it, though, because of how smooth and enjoyable the combat mechanics are.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
Unlocking more health flasks seems to be the key.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
Unlocking more health flasks seems to be the key.

My problem with those is I tend to want to save them until I really need them, but then I get into trouble and don't have the time and space to use one before I get killed.

J.P. Corbran