Author Topic: Do you really believe Nintendo "abandoned the core" last generation?  (Read 21530 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Do you really believe Nintendo "abandoned the core" last generation?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p if I compare side-by-side, but if I'm just looking at one screen then I probably couldn't say if it's 720p or 1080p. Most people are similar, though it also depends on the content. I was more saying that the difference between resolutions gets smaller with each increase. Diminishing returns and all that. 240i to 480i/p was a huge jump up, 480p to 720p was a decent jump, 720p to 1080p is a smaller jump, and so fourth. I haven't seen a 4K TV yet, just higher-resolution laptops and tablets, and I can't really compare those to TVs. We haven't yet reached the max resolution a human eye can discern, but we probably will soon, though the max will vary from person to person.

My original point was more that if the Wii could output 720p but still with the same specs it has now, there would still be a huge gap in graphics between it and the PS360. Specs make a much bigger difference in graphics than resolution.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
Then that's a problem with you because I am constantly in front of a television screen in my house, no matter what I am doing. Whether it be schoolwork, video games, movies, etc. If you put an image, video, or game on my screen I could tell you the resolution without having to ask or see a comparison.

The diminishing returns argument ONLY works if the screen size stays the same (for the sake of argument, try a 42 inch television and test all the resolution benchmarks). But as the resolution increases, so can the screen size without everything looking gross. 4K resolution allows for HUGE ass televisions without a dip in quality of the picture. You'd definitely be able to tell the difference without comparisons.

The problem with your argument is that if the Wii could output the 720p, it would have the specs to handle better graphics. Specs affect both graphics and the ability to display higher resolutions.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
I notice the difference between 480p and 720p fairly easily, less so but still yes between 720p and 1080p. 4K looks great though I've only seen it in Best Buy. Does it look $4000 great? Jebus, no. I sit about nine feet away from my TV. The 60" 1080p LED-LCD TV I plan on buying in the next couple months should suit my purposes just fine (I can hardly contain my excitement for playing Super Smash Bros. on that screen). I wouldn't say no to 4K if price wasn't an issue, but unfortunately, it is and there's a nearly $3000 difference. By the time I even think about replacing this new TV, 4K should be well within my price range.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
That's true about screen sizes, and also the proximity to the screen that someone views it. There's a limit to what people can fit in their houses though, and also a limit to how big portable devices can be, so that will probably matter more with things like stadium screens and movie theaters and such.

Obviously specs affect everything, but if the original Xbox could output 720p then the Wii probably was capable of it. Displaying Wii-level graphics in 720p probably would just be a small increase in specs; matching the abilities of the Xbox 360 and PS3 would take a lot more than just displaying Wii level graphics in 720p.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »
4K is neat and all, but with the consoles that just came out having trouble getting to 1080p I don't think it'll be relevant to gaming anytime soon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
4K is neat and all, but with the consoles that just came out having trouble getting to 1080p I don't think it'll be relevant to console gaming anytime soon.

Fixed that for you. 4k PC gaming is alive and well. Makes me jealous. >.<

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
I'm not saying 4K for gaming, I'm just saying that the "human eye can't see past 1080p or 60FPS, etc" is complete garbage. If you have a CRT monitor, set it to 60Hz, then 75Hz (or 85Hz) then 100Hz, if you can't see the difference then you need to go see an eye doctor.

And again, for Mop It Up this time, 1080p gives you 2.25 the definition of 720p. The difference between 720p and 1080p is not smaller than the difference between 480p and 720p, they are literally the same in terms of difference.

But of course outputting 720p would not make the Wii anywhere remotely as powerful as the PS3 or 360, but giving it a little more VRAM and a larger framebuffer would have made the games that were on it look a lot nicer.

On a side note, I've been tempted lately to get a new 70"+ TV since they are so cheap now...but I'm gonna wait until 4KTV takes off, because I can see the difference, even on my 52" from 10 feet away.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:54:08 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 01:10:15 AM »
I was talking about the noticeable difference, not the technical difference.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
I was talking about both.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:57 AM »
It would have to be a larger screen to make that kind of difference.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 02:32:49 AM »
It would have to be a larger screen to make that kind of difference.

How large do you think? Anything larger than a 32 at a decent distance away will be immediately noticeable. Get closer for things like phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops and it will take a much smaller screen to see the difference.

I'm pretty sure I said this a few hours ago. At this point we're all just arguing in circles. Obviously nothing will convince you of the difference since your mind is so set on viewing things a certain way.

No offense, but you're the kind of customer that gives me a bad day at work.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:35:32 AM by Oblivion »

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »
The cost/benefit for 4K is just not there unless you absolutely have to have 4K PC gaming. 

Most cable/satellite content is 720p/1080i now with a few programs at 1080p so they can say they provide 1080p.  My internet isn't capable of streaming 1080p so I won't be streaming 4K anytime soon.  No media is currently mass produced that would allow 4K viewing on the set.  So if you buy a 4K screen, you do so knowing that most content with be 1080p upscaled. 

I was talking about both.

Brandogg - you have to realize that there are diminishing returns.  I've not seen a 4K tv with 4K content so I'm not going to pretend like I know if it makes a difference.  But at some point, if 100K was the standard and new tvs were going to be 200K would anybody notice a difference on a 60" or less (that most people own) without looking at the screen from 1" away?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
4K is neat and all, but with the consoles that just came out having trouble getting to 1080p I don't think it'll be relevant to console gaming anytime soon.

Fixed that for you. 4k PC gaming is alive and well. Makes me jealous. >.<

Yeah, but how many games really take advantage of it? You'd need a pretty high end graphics card, and most games these days are build with consoles in mind, so I doubt the textures are there to make a real difference.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »
We're kind of splitting off into several different topics here. 4K gaming by and large does not exist yet, unless you have a super expensive graphics card, and a game that actually takes advantage of it. Wii U is dead.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
How large do you think?
Back when I researched televisions a few years ago, the recommendations I found all suggested that 1080p didn't make much difference over 720p unless the TV size was over a certain size, and that size was somewhere between 40-50 inches depending on viewing distance. A quick glance on Google shows the same sort of thing today. It'll also depend on the person of course, but this appears to be about the general consensus.

And yeah, I was just talking about televisions, if I didn't make that clear. Obviously things like computers and tablets and such are a different case since the screens are positioned so much closer to the user's face, and very high resolutions are needed in order to not see the pixels and have the “screen door” effect. VR headsets will require an even higher resolution since they're directly in front of the eyes.

Funnily enough, I've had the same thought about you. :P:

Actually, this is one of those conversations that would probably have had less confusion in the spoken word.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
Funnily enough, I've had the same thought about you. :P: :

Actually, this is one of those conversations that would probably have had less confusion in the spoken word.

But I thought we were best friends! :(

Yeah, most definitely.