Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3156689 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #8125 on: March 16, 2015, 03:06:19 AM »
Unfortunately, none of the recent ripoffs have been great. I doubt Mighty Number 9 will be, either.

Having played the Kickstarter Beta, I can tell you that unless that game has really come together in the last 4 months since I played it, it sure isn't worthy of the hype it's gotten and will probably disappoint a lot of people. That game was ****ing rough in the Beta, which was to be expected of an in-development title but it really felt like the devs hadn't figured out what made their game fun yet. Hopefully they have by now, because I pledged a lot of money on that Kickstarter.

I didn't know this. Now I'm worried. I initially thought, how could you fail? This coming from a guy who has seen none of the footage and going in with blind faith.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: March 16, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »
I didn't know this. Now I'm worried. I initially thought, how could you fail? This coming from a guy who has seen none of the footage and going in with blind faith.
I don't know, man. The game doesn't look good. I mean, it LITERALLY doesn't look good. The concept art was gorgeous and if they had gone the hand-drawn look I would at least be interested in the visuals. But the gameplay isn't stellar either and the level design is garbage.

Then, of course, there's also the fact that Inafune went back to Kickstarter to try to get MORE money for DLC. That was a low blow.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: March 16, 2015, 04:24:39 PM »
I don't know, man. The game doesn't look good. I mean, it LITERALLY doesn't look good. The concept art was gorgeous and if they had gone the hand-drawn look I would at least be interested in the visuals. But the gameplay isn't stellar either and the level design is garbage.

Then, of course, there's also the fact that Inafune went back to Kickstarter to try to get MORE money for DLC. That was a low blow.

The game looked pretty mediocre in the Kickstarter Beta, but bear in mind that was 6 months ago and games usually look like crap until their final month or two of development. That was the case with every (sports) game I worked on when I was at EA, so I'm not really worried about the visuals.

No, what worried me about the Beta were that the controls flat-out did not work (literally, you'd press a button on the controller, and the game would think you were pressing a completely different button) and that the moment-to-moment gameplay was extremely abstract and unsatisfying. The main hook of the gameplay is shooting enemies enough to put them into a dazed state, and then dashing through them to acquire a temporary stat modifier on your main weapon. In theory, I suppose this would make the "fun" a kind of score attack/rush-style experience where you're chaining enemies together using each of their stat boosts in sequence. However, in my experience (with the exception of the anti-armor stat booster) you really couldn't feel a distinct difference between the boosts and the shooting was generally unsatisfying.

It's also worth noting that the extremely hard bosses in the demo had to be beaten by knocking enough health off them to put them into a dazed state. Then you had to dash near them (not "through" them, because then you'd hurt yourself) to make that health loss permanent (otherwise, they'd regenerate it completely after a few seconds). It was extremely frustrating and not at all fun.

Like I said, if that Beta was indicative of the final product that game is a mess.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: March 16, 2015, 11:32:12 PM »
Doesn't surprise me considering Inafune is nothing more then a greedy piece of **** who's the most responsible for Capcom becoming the crap it is now.  Inafune was the guy who chased away both Kamiya and Mikami, and the one who started Capcom down the path of trying to just rip off Western games instead of you know, continuing designing games the way Capcom had already been doing for 2 decades and was already quite popular in the West because of it.

The whole point of MN9 was just a scam to steal millions from desperate Mega Man fans.  I can guarantee you that not even half of all the money spent on MN9 is even going into development while the rest is going straight to Inafunes bank account because that's just how shameless he really is.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8129 on: March 17, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »
Pokemon Rumble World classified by the AUS ratings board... Multi-platform, probably Wii U and 3DS (Wow, incredibly risky guess, Phil!)

I enjoyed the 3DS and WiiWare games. Didn't play the Wii U one due to there not being dungeons and instead just an arena format.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8130 on: March 17, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
Hudson doesn't exist anymore. Nintendo should have bought that up when they had the chance. Maybe they still do.
The Nintendo subsidiary Nd Cube houses many former employees from Hudson, most notably the Mario Party team, so Nintendo have already gotten a piece of them. Nd Cube took over the Mario Party series with 9 and also make the Wii Party series.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8131 on: March 17, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »
In Australia, "multi platform" in ratings means "We can't be arsed to disclose what platform it is so we're covering our bases."
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »
I enjoyed the 3DS and WiiWare games. Didn't play the Wii U one due to there not being dungeons and instead just an arena format.
I too enjoy the Rumble series a great deal- the original game is ridiculously addicting, but each subsequent title has moved away from what made the original so great. Here's hoping World has the original formula intact.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8134 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
One last one before the end of the FY sounds good to me.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: March 19, 2015, 11:43:19 PM »
Yeah, but if it was going to happen, I feel it would have happened already. Plus Nintendo has just come off of a very busy week/month of preparing another announcement. I can't imagine what they would have in store for us.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: October 17, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »
Hey hey hey, so we haven't had a lot of rumors lately...

But one that has always stuck out to me was Intelligent Systems' job fair where they stated they were currently working on a Paper Mario game for Wii U. You think that holds any water? They've been finished with Fire Emblem If for a while now and I think Paper Mario would be a nice way to keep the Mario brand on Wii U in 2016 while also being a nice, simple game to throw out there- aesthetically, I think it would look lovely on Wii U, too.

Might we hear about this come January?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: October 18, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »
Seems pretty plausible. It'd be a good kind of thing to fill space in the lineup, while their main teams have moved on to NX.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: October 20, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »
Plus the final year of a console brings out those quirky side games in droves. Especially Nintendo. It's like they just take all of their side projects and green lights a bunch of them as a last hurrah to see the system off and make some employees happy that their pet projects saw the light of day.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Parallax Scroll

• Score: 0
    • View Profile

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: October 21, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »
But there are Wii U games. There's a title every month.

I mean, that's not a lot, but still...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8141 on: October 23, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
There a lot of differences between what happened with the Dreamcast and what's happening with the Wii U. I don't really think the situations are that comparable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: October 23, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
Yeah, it's even a stretch to say the Dreamcast controller has a screen in it, since technically the screen is on the memory card.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: October 23, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »
Neither Dreamcast or Wii U had the opportunity to reach its full potential...opportunity is the wrong word. Wii U had years to shine and Nintendo mismanaged almost every aspect except it's  game library. I guess some light burn out faster than others. If Xenoblade Chronicles X is the last big Wii U release (quite possible) than its ironic. That was the game that people thought would "save the Wii U so long ago (Nintendo Direct  Jan 2013)

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: October 23, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »
It probably could have if it had been released during that time.

Hey! Nintendo has a private video on their Japanese YouTube page! Here's hoping we get some confirmation that Shovel Knight isn't in Smash and that they have some decent holiday fun planned.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:10:41 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8145 on: October 24, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
If Xenoblade Chronicles X is the last big Wii U release (quite possible) than its ironic.
Have some faith man, Zelda U at the least will be the last "big" game, even if it isn't Wii U exclusive.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8146 on: October 24, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »
Here's hoping we get some confirmation that Shovel Knight isn't in Smash and that they have some decent holiday fun planned.

Why wouldn't we want Shovel Knight in Smash?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: October 24, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »
Here's hoping we get some confirmation that Shovel Knight isn't in Smash and that they have some decent holiday fun planned.

Why wouldn't we want Shovel Knight in Smash?
He's the anti-christ or something apparently.

Evan are you referring to this video? If so it was debunked as a past direct they privated for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPh3p_yYrx0CjUKA7c0f8K20wMD-crPMx

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: October 24, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »
He's the anti-christ or something apparently.

Evan are you referring to this video? If so it was debunked as a past direct they privated for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPh3p_yYrx0CjUKA7c0f8K20wMD-crPMx
II was referring to the NWR article, which was from trusted sources etc etc.

Still hope that isn't true. But I do expect SOMETHING from Nintendo before the Holiday season reinvigorating Smash and several other titles so that they can market them for the sweet winter cash.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: October 25, 2015, 08:36:14 AM »
Still, the Wii U and Dreamcast are somewhat comparable. 3rd parties abandoned both consoles relatively quickly, and the next-generation PlayStation dominated both console eras.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA