Author Topic: Metroid II: Return of Samus - RetroActive #12 Discussion Thread  (Read 12683 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Please use this thread to discuss our next RetroActive game, Metroid II: Return of Samus. Note that we'll be pulling quotes out of this thread to be read on an upcoming episode of Radio Free Nintendo during our discussion of the game. Comments made here will help to direct the podcast conversation, so please ask and discuss anything about the game that you find interesting!

Note: Metroid II will play on the original Game Boy (Fat/Light/Pocket/Super), Game Boy Color, original Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, and the Game Boy Player accessory for GameCube. It is not compatible with the Game Boy Micro or Nintendo DS/Lite.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00002SVEM/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1270356981&sr=8-1&condition=used
eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=metroid+2&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid II: Return of Samus - RetroActive #12 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm really interested to hear what people have to say about the game.

Although Metroid II seems to take a lot of crap for being linear, I think they did a good job of maintaining a sense of adventure.  The biggest difference is that this game requires you to explore the current area until you find and eliminate all Metroids before continuing, instead of opening new areas because Samus has gained additional weapons or abilities.  This makes the game more action-oriented and also eliminates backtracking - both good ideas considering limitations of the platform it was developed for.

Making the game actually focus on Metroids and their lifecycle (instead of hunting space pirates) was interesting, and added a lot of lore to the Metroid universe.  And without this game, the story for Super Metroid would've been different and one of gamings most famous moments, when the Metroid recognizes Samus as it's mother at the end of the game, wouldn't have been possible.

That's not saying the game is without flaws.  The lack of a map can be a pain, even though it is a small game.  After missing a Metroid, you can be forced to search through recently traveled terrain and it is occasionally hard to recall exactly where one area begins or ends.  The screen space is also terribly small (or the character sprites are too big) and battles with evolving Metroids definitely suffer because there isn't much room to maneuver.

Overall this isn't the best game in the series, but is fun to play.  At least it's better than Metroid Fusion!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
I thought the 'Cube GB Player would only play GBA games? Wow, I've been missing out. Now I want to find a 'Cube and a GB Player. Anyway...

Metroid II is one of my favorite Metroid games, and it's always a joy to go back and play it. The idea of a Metroid life-cycle is intriguing to me, although that life cycle has never been fully explained or even consistent:

In the instruction manual for Metroid II, it's implied that Metroids go through a series of "mutations" because of the radiation on Planet SR-388. That is, their growth cycle isn't naturally occuring.
In Metroid Fusion, this theory is somewhat confirmed, as Adam implies that Metroids can evolve to their largest stage through exposure to radiation in a lab.
In Metroid Prime, the Fission Metroids reproduce through...well, fission.
In Metroid Prime 2, Tallon IV Metroids are shown to reproduce through laying an egg-sac.
In Metroid Prime 3, Phazon Metroids are shown to lay actual eggs.

So that's sort of annoying. Furthermore, Metroids seem to have branching evolution. The radiation on SR-388 turns a "normal" Metroid into an Alpha Metroid, but the radiation on Tallon IV turns a "normal" Metroid into a Hunter Metroid? And where do Metroid Hatchers come from? It's all very confusing. Maybe, in order to get a Metroid Hatcher, you have to have a Metroid hold a Dark Tentacle and trade him?

ANYWAY.

Metroid II is basically Super Metroid without a map, which can be confusing and annoying, especially since Metroid II runs into the same problem that the original game did: extremely similar-looking environments and vertical corridors. I do very much like the inclusion of the Spider Ball, though, which eases exploration somewhat. The addition of distinct save points is also helpful, although, due to the similarities of many environments, it's easy to forget exactly where you left off! But Metroid II brings several modern Metroidisms into play: the Varia Suit, Spring Ball, Spazer Beam (tri-beam), and the modern Plasma Beam. Save points are here, the ability to go back to your ship to power-up and save, and a later level design emphasis on verticality allowed by the Space Jump.

I think the game is DYING for a modern Zero Mission-style remake. In fact, it's the only original Metroid game that doesn't have some kind of modern counterpart. Metroid got Zero Mission and a ton of ports and Super Metroid got the VC treatment. Nintendo seems to have forgotten about Metroid 2...which is why I'm very excited about the Metroid 2 Remake Project:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:59:41 PM by Halbred »
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
I thought the 'Cube GB Player would only play GBA games? Wow, I've been missing out.

I've been playing through Metroid II mostly using my GB Player, so I can confirm that you have indeed been missing out. Portability aside, using the GB Player is vastly preferable to playing anything on my original GBA because the screen (along with the audio quality from the headphone jack) seem terribly substandard these days.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
Well, I imagine it's largely the same experience on the GB Player as the Super GB, which is how I've been most recently playing it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:34 PM »
I think there may have been some misinformation out there about the GB Player because I also thought that it was GBA only until well after I stopped using it.

Quote from: Halbred link=topic=31182.msg604458#msg604458   date=1272414288
Well, I imagine it's largely the same experience on   the GB Player as the Super GB, which is how I've been most recently   playing it.

Actually as discussed in the voting thread, the GB Player has better color hooks for the game than the Super GB.  It's not a huge difference though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:38:19 PM by gojira »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:29:16 AM »
I've heard several people say they weren't aware that the Game Boy Player played GBA games.  Do you guys not read the manuals - or even the packages for the merchandise you buy?  I had to go back and double check it's right there, on the back of the cardboard sleeve that wraps around the disc case so that you can see it from the back of the blister pack that holds everything... "Plays more than 1,000 games designed for the original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance handhold game systems!"
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »
Quote from: Zach
But Metroid II brings several modern Metroidisms into play: the Varia Suit...

The Varia Suit is reprised from the original Metroid. In the sequel, it looks better and still reduces damage, but no longer affects your resistance to lava. That feature was restored in Super Metroid.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »

Wow. I haven't played this game in awhile and it shows.  *Barely* made it in under the three hour threshold (2:46).  Missed an energy tank and three missile expansions.  Forgot how much I hate the spikes in this game.  Grrr.

The music in this game is wonderful.  I wish there was an option to turn off the Sound FX and just let the background music and noises play.

This game actually looks pretty darn good on the Game Boy Player.  Don't think I've ever played it on the GBP before.

I somehow remember the extra Metroids at the end of the game being harder.  I don't think I got hit once by them.

Great game.  Thanks for the excuse to play it again.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
I've heard several people say they weren't aware that the Game Boy Player played GBA games.  Do you guys not read the manuals - or even the packages for the merchandise you buy?  I had to go back and double check it's right there, on the back of the cardboard sleeve that wraps around the disc case so that you can see it from the back of the blister pack that holds everything... "Plays more than 1,000 games designed for the original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance handhold game systems!"

Based on how many idiots on GameFAQs ask questions to stuff that is answered right in the instruction manual, I can assure you that too many people don't bother reading the instruction booklet (or anything that comes in the box).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
I do very much like the inclusion of the Spider Ball, though, which eases exploration somewhat.

I like the idea of the Spider Ball but I don't think it's implemented very well in this game.  There are several large caverns in the game that can take upwards of 5 minutes to circle using the Spider Ball.  Most don't have anything worthwhile hidden in the walls or ceiling but you still have to encompass the entire room just to make sure.  It's a slow, tedious process that I could have done without.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »

I barely used my GB Player, let alone read the box or instructions.  I regretted buying it at the time because I had basically no use for it. 

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
I like the idea of the Spider Ball but I don't think it's implemented very well in this game.  There are several large caverns in the game that can take upwards of 5 minutes to circle using the Spider Ball.  Most don't have anything worthwhile hidden in the walls or ceiling but you still have to encompass the entire room just to make sure.  It's a slow, tedious process that I could have done without.

This comment will definitely be read on the show. I think it's telling that no other 2D Metroid has tried to incorporate the Spider Ball. Retro was actually quite ingenious to use predetermined tracks while bringing it into 3D. I thought they were overly restrictive at first, but clever use of the physics led to some really cool Spider Ball portions in Prime 2 and 3.

Anyway, I think Spider Ball could work well in a future 2D Metroid, with some tweaks. Anyone want to submit ideas for fixing the Spider Ball? Maybe the secret is in level design more than adjusting the ability itself?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »
The problem is largely due to the fact that each area's outline is very zig-zaggy. In Fusion, it wouldn't have been a problem (most of the time) because the walls are very straight. I think you could fix the Spider Ball in 2D games by making it magnetic, like it is in the Prime games, and can only be used on metal surfaces.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:19:48 AM »
If the DSi or any future iteration of the handheld were to ever have a virtual console service, Metroid 2 would be at the top of my list for having the game on the go. I mean it takes the epicness and the sci-fi elements of the series and allows you take it on the go. This game is a true progenitor for the GBA Metroid games.

However, this game does have many issue. For starters, the music is very annoying. Secondly, the visuals (for its time) were kind of hard on the eyes to watch for extended periods of time. Some people argue that the game is too linear for the series, but it did offer new ways to explore the environment that have become staples to the series.

Overall, the game does fit well into the Metroid series. Bridging the gap between the first game and the SNES sequel were not easy. The series has so many rapid fans, myself included, and it had one of the best plots. If it were not for some of the blocky sprites on the screen, this game would look almost like Super Metroid.

In this game we see the baby metroid imprint onto Samus. This is related to the overall sense of motherhood that the series has as a theme. Remember that the opening scene of Other M involves the ending of Super Metroid where the baby metroid saves Samus from Mother Brain. The fact that such an old and dated game is still related to a much graphically superior game after nearly twenty years goes to show that Nintendo must hold this game in high regards and how the series has evolved over the past twenty plus years.

Metroid 2 is actually one of side scrolling action games that I trully enjoy.  For a couple of years we have heared rumors that game called Metroid: Dread was coming out for the DS. A game such as Metroid 2 and its influences on later hand held titles goes to prove to me that a new side scrolling Metroid game is much needed. Dread would be the perfect way for Nintendo to recapture some of the goodness that this game had to offer on a portable system. For example, I remember Johnny Metts talking about how Spider-man Web of Shadows DS was a good reason for why Nintendo should release a new side scrolling Metroid DS game and I have to agree with this staement.

Overall, I hope the game continues to have longevity and it truelly diserve as much as it can get. I just hope such games as Other M and future Metroid games continue the style brought fourth by this game and the NES and SNES games. I hope nothing to do with series ever become diluted or falls by the way side like the Star Fox series has in the past few years.

As for fixing the spider-ball, if a future 2D Metroid game were to be released and the next DS has an accelerometer, you could tilt the ball and have force feed back through the stylus. This would seem like a fresh gameplay for the series.

One thing I really liked about the game is that it shows the various evolutionary forms of the metroid species. This showed how the metroids were slowly adapting to Samus as she progressed through the game and presented more challenges to her as she went. This also show that the Metroid are a living species with a natural life cycle like a  perverted butter fly.

The visuals for the power suit in this game would later set the basis for the suit in a ll future iterations of the series as well.

Lastly, I have not been on this forum for very long, but this has to be the longest post that I have ever written and the most opioned.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:33:29 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:35:47 AM »
However, this game does have many issue. For starters, the music is very annoying.

Really?  As I said before, I *LOVE* the music to this game.  I wish I could turn the Sound FX off.  I love how well the music sets the tone, in some areas being virtually nothing but a chattering harmony of background critters - yet, in some areas, being loud and boisterous, daring you to explore and take on the adventure that awaits you.

On the graphics - and I believe someone else mentioned this in the voting thread - everything is so *big*.  I mean, I understand that it was on the Game Boy and all, but replaying it on the TV (via Game Boy Player in Progressive Scan with Component Cables - did I mention how much nicer it looks?), it seems like the spites could have been cut down to show more of the screen.  It's not too much of a problem, but a couple of the Metroid fights could have used some more wiggle room - like the ones that take place within the respawning "sand".

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
As I said during voting, I don't own a copy of this game. Once upon a time, I borrowed it from a friend, and based upon the experience I had, I don't want to play it again. These thoughts are all from memory. For the record, I loathe the original Metroid as well. Everyone refers to Metroid II: Return Of Samus as the roots of Super Metroid, but I think it strays into too many of the trappings shared by the NES game.

First and foremost, the absence of any sort of proper boss battles is crushing. One of my favourite features of the Metroid series is the exciting, interesting boss battles. Super Metroid and especially the Prime trilogy had many memorable boss encounters, where you made thoughtful uses of new powers and adapted to shifting attack patterns. This game, on the other hand, can only offer those pitiful Metroid fights. As well as being pathetically easy, the fights were dull as dishwater - just jam the fire button until it dies. Even the Queen Metroid was as boring as the old Ridley and Kraid fights.

Speaking of dull as dishwater, I hate how so much of the world looks exactly the same. It is still befuddling to me that the two Metroid titles without a map screen are the two that need it the most. I recall being immensely frustrated at one point when I needed just one more Metroid to unlock the next area and I got lost several times before finding it because it wasn't clear if I'd passed through certain rooms or not.

Respect to Metroid II for introducing some staples of the franchise, like save stations and more advanced controls. I'm afraid that's as much respect as I am willing to give it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:27:05 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:14 PM »
Before I post my thoughts on the game I have what I believe to be a somewhat interesting story about how I first got the game. 

Back when I was a kid my family drank a lot of Kool-Aid.  Which meant that we accumulated a lot of Kool-Aid points.  My siblings and I would take turns on getting a top tier item from the catalog.  We couldn't afford to get new games all that often, so I jumped at the chance to get a Gameboy game.  There were two games to choose from and since I already had Mario Land 2, I got some game called Metroid.  Not having played the original, I got this game just because it was basically free.  And now Metroid is my favorite gaming series.  All from drinking way too much Kool-Aid as a kid.

And if you think the Queen Metroid fight is boring you must not know the other way to defeat her.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 09:36:07 AM »
I think I probably played this more than any single other Gameboy game that I ever owned. 

I think this is the first Gameboy game that actually wowed me with it's graphics presentation, mostly because of the character detail.   Then again, the only other games that I could compare it to at the time were Super Mario Land, Castlevania, Final Fantasy Legend, and maybe Ninja Turtles.   Link's Awakening didn't show up until a few years later.   I've noted that several outlets that have done retro reviews for Metroid II call it a "bland, ugly game, even for it's time" or somesuch nonsense; they really need to go back and do a comparison with games that were actually out at the time.

The lack of wiggle room was just a common problem on the original   Gameboy.   They had limited space, and there was a tradeoff between   graphics deatail and real estate on the screen.  As I recall, all of the   Mega Man games suffered from this as well.  At least in Metroid, once   you got the screw attack it never quite mattered as much.   I much preferred Metroid II's larger characters than to some earlier   Gameboy games, such as Super Mario   Land, where the sprites for Mario and the enemies appeared much   smaller and less detailed than I would have liked.     

The large characters, of course, were drawn that way to show detail on a small screen.  I think that this was probably done out of necessity because while in the first Metroid, different suits and powers were represented by color changes in Samus' palette, that really wasn't an option here because the game was nearly monochrome.  They had to show variations between suits and powers in by changing Samus' physical shape, and in order to do that, they had to draw her much larger to show visible changes in her suit as she acquired new weapons or powers.

To be truthful, I didn't remember much about the music from this game except for that one overriding, but one has stuck with me until this day:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIH943auRA&feature=related]The song played on the surface of SR388.  As I've been going back through the music, most of it is a little too ambient for my tastes.  A lot of it just consists of background beeps and noises, which is fine, but it happens too frequently and in too many of the open cave areas.  A use of stronger themes also might have helped establish a sense of place with each area of the game, and it might have helped the player to remember where they were.

I remember getting absolutely lost in this game a lot because so many of the areas looked exactly the same.   I'm pretty sure my Nintendo Power subscription helped me out a lot with this one. :)  I'd love to see this theme remixed in a new Metroid Game in some way.

EDIT: I agree with the comments regarding the Spider Ball.  I wasted a lot of time as a kid because I was OCD about trying to find every missile and energy pack.  The Spider Ball was an enabler.   I like Halbred's suggestion; I'd perhaps just either limit the spider ball to particular surfaces, or I would just give it a rechargeable power meter that gets used up.   You could even add power ups that increase the strength of the spider ball as you go through the game as well.  IMHO, the space jump is just as broken, though it's a lot more fun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:51:49 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 02:35:20 AM »
This game looks wonderful on the GBA SP, but I'm finding it isn't really holding my attention. I remember enjoying this game when I first played it after Metroid Fusion, but wandering aimlesless without a map as I hunted for a sole, lonely Metroid I overlooked really left a bad taste in my mouth this afternoon. Part of the problem is that the action is decidedly slower to accommodate the large sprites on a small screen, so backtracking (and using the Spider Ball) becomes grueling. Don't get me wrong--this game is impressive for a 1991 Game Boy game, and it really captures the feel of Metroid, but after playing more "Metroidvania" games over the years, it's really tough to go back to this.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »
I was only vaguely familiar with the  original Metroid, so this was really my first experience with the  series.  I had a Nintendo Power subscription back then so the issue  with the Metroid II maps definitely got worn out.  Not only from my  use, but surprisingly it was a game that my sister and father played  as well.  I remember a page got torn out and lost, so I went through  a drew a map by hand for the areas that were lost.

So with the early exposure of a map and  having played through the game several times Metroid II has never  been much of game where I wandered aimlessly.  Knowing the location  of the metroids, upgrades and shortcuts you can determine the best  path to take and the game does then have a nice flow like other 2d  Metroids.

But that doesn't mean I never explored  the game.  I remember Spider Balling a decent amount (especially when  drawing that map).  And for some reason those long vertical shafts  that you spider ball up and down to get to certain areas always felt  like I was really delving into the depths of SR388.   

Exploration was further aided by the  Space Jump.  It was much quicker than the spider ball, but it took  more skill to operate.  This is made apparent by the developers'  inclusion of hazards in areas where the space jump is required.  Once  you have both upgrades it's up to you whether you're going to take  the risk of falling all the way back down if you mess up with the  Space Jump, or if you're going to be patient and use the Spider Ball.   It's interesting that a game that most people consider as the most  linear Metroid introduced two of the most exploratory upgrades in the  series.

However, my favorite upgrade in the  game has always been the Varia Suit.  I think Samus looks a hundred  times cooler in her Varia Suit than the standard one.  And there is  something always very satisfying about the visual upgrade of her  character.  It's just one of those moments I look forward to every  time I play the game.

Another feature I always enjoy when  playing the game is the music, and lack thereof.  Running through  rooms where there is only the sound of Samus' footsteps is always  cool to me.  Also somewhat satisfying is when the music reengages.   It usually kicks in when you're heading to a new area.  It just kinda  emphasizes that you've completed an area and are ready for the next  one.  The music itself isn't the best (although the opening gets  quite good if you let it fun), but I think it's used very well.

I think the game itself it overall  designed very well.  There are many parts were the developers play  with expectations set up in the game.  There are areas where you  expect the lava to drain like it has in the previous levels, but it's  not that lava pool you just passed up, it's another one.  Or you  expect it to drain after an earthquake only to find out that you have  to go back up and fight another Metroid to proceed.

The Metroids themselves can be somewhat  interesting fights.  The first two mutations are pretty easy to  defeat, but I find it fun to use the environment to get them exactly  where you want them and destroy them with missiles.  The Gamma and  Zeta Metroid fights however, are basically just shooting them with a  lot of missiles and hoping you have enough ammo and energy to last  the fight.  The Queen Metroid can be similarly about ammo and energy  if you defeat her the standard way.  But you can also Morph Ball into  her mouth when she's frozen by your missiles and then roll into her  stomach to lay bombs.  It seems like I knew this before, but reading  up a bit up the game for this RetroActive I discovered/rediscovered  this method out.

An interesting tidbit I noticed about  this game while playing through this time was how selective you could  be with what beam you use.  When you first find the Spazer and Plasma  beams they are located basically right next to each other.  And just  a little bit later in the game you have the option to choose from  every beam.  I guess if you regretted choosing the Spazer over Plasma  beam you could switch.  At least until the end where you need the Ice  beam to take care of the standard Metroids.   

I also have fondness for the very end  of the game.  Running through the passages with the baby Metroid  helping you out always made me want a game where the baby could be  present throughout.  I also always enjoyed striving to beat the game  in under two hours with all items.  I think this playthough I missed  one missile and got a time around one hour and forty five minutes.  I  restarted my play though half way after realizing I totally passed up  the High Jump Boots and was struggling to get to certain areas.  So  that's partly why I got through so quickly.   

I guess seeing how much I have to say  about the game really shows how much of a landmark game this was for  me.   

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »
I quite enjoy it

Though it is a diamond in the rough
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:31 AM »
If you haven't yet posted your thoughts on Metroid II, there's less than one day left to do so before we record the RFN segment. Of course, the discussion will remain open after that, but this is your last chance to get your comments read on the show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 04:55:53 AM »
I ended up not playing this game because I've been distracted by other games (mostly Monster Hunter Tri). Everything I would
have said has already been said by the other people who don't like the game, though.

One trend I noticed is that the people who like this game, played it back in its time. This leads me to believe that the game has, in fact, aged poorly, and only those who have played it back in the day, or are fans of retro games, would enjoy it today. Anyone playing it today for the first time wouldn't be able to get into it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »
Is it only running for one week or are we going to continue discussion into the episode after? I haven't had time to really sit down with it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast